Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Lone Badger posted:

More evidence that humans are shoddily designed and there should have been a factory recall eons ago.

About every species is like this, humans just now pay enough attention to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Lone Badger posted:

More evidence that humans are shoddily designed and there should have been a factory recall eons ago.

God realized it’s actually cheaper not to recall them and just deal with the occasional lawsuit

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Has someone ever attempted to sue god for, like, *gestures at everything*?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

aphid_licker posted:

Somebody tried to sue the Devil but the court said they needed a valid address to which to deliver the papers

E: and apparently there’s another more recent and vaguely interesting case in which somebody tried to sue God and when the court said they couldn’t serve him with papers the guy said they were denying His omniscience

Pirate Radar has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Aug 2, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Somebody tried to sue the Devil but the court said they needed a valid address to which to deliver the papers

E: and apparently there’s another more recent and vaguely interesting case in which somebody tried to sue God and when the court said they couldn’t serve him with papers the guy said they were denying His omniscience

I just reposted this question in the ask/tell Religion thread, there must've been some medieval guy who got burned at the stake for his trouble who did this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Legal arguments with God is pretty much the basis of Judaism from all I gather.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

About every species is like this, humans just now pay enough attention to notice.

In the wild things that are defective tend to not survive long enough to get noticed on top of that. If we were still smelly apes living in the trees a collapsed lung was just like "welp, he died. Let's bury him and get on with life."

Now that we're smelly apes living in a civilization with medical technology we have the tools to fix a lot of the problems that would normally be a death sentence.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

wasn't this an anecdote in one of the Hitchhiker's novels?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Not an article, but allegedly the quote "Wenn es einen Gott gibt, muß er mich um Verzeihung bitten" (If there is a God, he must ask for my forgiveness) was carved into a wall at the Mauthausen concentration camp. Often mistakenly attributed to Auschwitz, or mistranslated as "beg". Appears to originally be from an Italian documentary about Mauthausen.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Someone needs to read Will Eisner’s A Contract With God

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Legal arguments with God is pretty much the basis of Judaism from all I gather.

Someone described Judaism as rabbis spending millenia rules lawyering their DM, God, into not being such a dick

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ElGroucho posted:

Someone described Judaism as rabbis spending millenia rules lawyering their DM, God, into not being such a dick

Yeah, if you come at it from the perspective of someone more familiar with Christianity, where trying to pull a fast one on God is definitely bad, you see these elaborate things like Sabbath mode for appliances or eruvin and think, well, isn't it bad to trick God? But the way someone explained it to me is God gave us these big brains and he wants us to use them, so rules-lawyering like that is less of a "defying the almighty" thing and more "clever bastards got me there".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, if you come at it from the perspective of someone more familiar with Christianity, where trying to pull a fast one on God is definitely bad, you see these elaborate things like Sabbath mode for appliances or eruvin and think, well, isn't it bad to trick God? But the way someone explained it to me is God gave us these big brains and he wants us to use them, so rules-lawyering like that is less of a "defying the almighty" thing and more "clever bastards got me there".

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The Judaism arguing thing is summed up pretty well by The Oven of Akhnai that basically boils down to "You stay out of this God, the Torah is a human thing"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, evolutionarily speaking, we can get away with a lot more design flaws in male bodies than female.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Not an article, but allegedly the quote "Wenn es einen Gott gibt, muß er mich um Verzeihung bitten" (If there is a God, he must ask for my forgiveness) was carved into a wall at the Mauthausen concentration camp. Often mistakenly attributed to Auschwitz, or mistranslated as "beg". Appears to originally be from an Italian documentary about Mauthausen.

There is a joke I heard that goes:

An elderly Holocaust survivor dies and goes to heaven. He meets God and in the course of their conversation tells a Holocaust joke. God is horrified and does not find it funny. The man responds, "Yeah I guess you had to be there."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

The fact that our bodily defence system ejects gross uncomfortable nonsense from our breathing tubes should be proof of this

Also the welcome to self-hating judaism you goyim

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Aug 2, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's actually really interesting the differences between Christianity and Judaism on a lot of those things. While Christianity is all "ragh ragh sex is bad and sinful and gross" Jews are like "well I mean God made it feel good so He must have intended for us to enjoy it."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That sex thing is a hold over from when the church decided it needed more land so declared priests unable to get married, right?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Christians hating homosexuality is taken from the Torah (sorry old testament) and that's hilarious because my judaism and its thousands of years of philosophy take quite the opposite stance.

Hashem gave us commandments. We should do the things, but with love and respect for ourselves and our own human happiness, because look at us all posting on this dead gay forum, we are a miracle, that Hashem made. Hashem opposes us hurting ourselves.

Being gay (or L or B or T or Q or anything else) and denying it, or being forced to deny it or being persecuted by others, for it, is proven to result in more suffering, not less.

Since Hashem made us LGBTQ and Hashem has commanded us that living a full and happy life is the most important commandment, denying one's own self to try and be cis straight is equally as dumb as a starving man in the desert refusing shrimp. Eat the shrimp. Hashem says live and be happy.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

That sex thing is a hold over from when the church decided it needed more land so declared priests unable to get married, right?

I don't think the church was ever particularly short on land? Clerical celibacy is anyway an almost exclusively Catholic preoccupation.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

I would have appreciated in Dogma when Allanis Morisette god is acting all twee and doing a handstand against a tree if someone was like “uh that’s cute but what’s up with the babies born without brains and stuff”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Look man, God's got a ton of poo poo on their plate what with having to fill the hollow center of the moon with dinosaurs and making sure Disney keeps churning out Marvel movies.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Aesop Poprock posted:

I would have appreciated in Dogma when Allanis Morisette god is acting all twee and doing a handstand against a tree if someone was like “uh that’s cute but what’s up with the babies born without brains and stuff”

she wouldn't responded with a raspberry and a tweak to the nose bc the whole point is god is doing their own poo poo and is subsequently inscrutable and unknowable to mortals, and that reads pretty clearly

you can't 'gotcha' god dude. i'm not religious but even i picked that up, cmon

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrangersInTheNight posted:

she wouldn't responded with a raspberry and a tweak to the nose bc the whole point is god is doing their own poo poo and is subsequently inscrutable and unknowable to mortals, and that reads pretty clearly

but can you gatcha god

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

69"You seem to be posting just fine,"

Thus spoke the LORD.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

There is a joke I heard that goes:

An elderly Holocaust survivor dies and goes to heaven. He meets God and in the course of their conversation tells a Holocaust joke. God is horrified and does not find it funny. The man responds, "Yeah I guess you had to be there."

Goddamn, loving wrekt

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Cool but then wtf use is he

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

joxxuh posted:

I don't think the church was ever particularly short on land? Clerical celibacy is anyway an almost exclusively Catholic preoccupation.
Roman Catholic specifically, though it's not unknown in other traditions.

It came from clergy using their social status and the wealth of their churches, parishes, bishoprics, etc. to enrich their families, set up their children in powerful and/or lucrative church positions, and all the other kinds of nepotism that being a powerful person in a highly hierarchical system can get up to when it takes weeks or even months to so much as contact anyone who has even nominal superiority, let alone actually investigate.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Thanks to this thread, I started reading The Devil in the White City this morning.

So goddamn good. Not even that far into it at all (page 80-something), but it's among the best non-fiction I have personally ever encountered. And ya know, I also checked out Isaac's Storm since it came up in the last Devil chat, and i bet it's fuggin good too. Bet that Lusitania one is fire, too.

Thank you, thread. Also, libraries are still cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Thanks to this thread, I started reading The Devil in the White City this morning.

So goddamn good. Not even that far into it at all (page 80-something), but it's among the best non-fiction I have personally ever encountered. And ya know, I also checked out Isaac's Storm since it came up in the last Devil chat, and i bet it's fuggin good too. Bet that Lusitania one is fire, too.

If you want to continue in that vein with more spooky nonfiction, try The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson. It's about a horrifying epidemic in London and how they figured out where it came from.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Christians hating homosexuality is taken from the Torah (sorry old testament) and that's hilarious because my judaism and its thousands of years of philosophy take quite the opposite stance.

Hashem gave us commandments. We should do the things, but with love and respect for ourselves and our own human happiness, because look at us all posting on this dead gay forum, we are a miracle, that Hashem made. Hashem opposes us hurting ourselves.

Being gay (or L or B or T or Q or anything else) and denying it, or being forced to deny it or being persecuted by others, for it, is proven to result in more suffering, not less.

Since Hashem made us LGBTQ and Hashem has commanded us that living a full and happy life is the most important commandment, denying one's own self to try and be cis straight is equally as dumb as a starving man in the desert refusing shrimp. Eat the shrimp. Hashem says live and be happy.

I'm an atheist but I like this. I wish more people thought like you.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm an atheist but I like this. I wish more people thought like you.
I'm an atheist too, but it's the Jewish version of God in particular I don't believe in

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pookel posted:

I'm an atheist too, but it's the Jewish version of God in particular I don't believe in

Isn't that just being jewish?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Former Nebraska state legislator Ernie Chambers!

quote:

Chambers lawsuit, which was filed on Friday in Douglas County Court, seeks a permanent injunction ordering God to cease certain harmful activities and the making of terroristic threats.

The lawsuit admits God goes by all sorts of alias, names, titles and designations and it also recognizes the fact that the defendant is omnipresent.

In the lawsuit, Chambers said he's tried to contact God numerous times.

"Plaintiff, despite reasonable efforts to effectuate personal service upon defendant 'Come out, come out, wherever you are,' has been unable to do so,'" Chambers said.

The suit also requests that the court, given the peculiar circumstances of this case, waive personal service. It said that being omniscient, the plaintiff assumes God will have actual knowledge of the action.

The lawsuit accuses God "of making and continuing to make terroristic threats of grave harm to innumerable persons, including constituents of Plaintiff who Plaintiff has the duty to represent." It says God has caused "fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues, ferocious famines, devastating droughts, genocidal wars, birth defects and the like."

The suit also says God has caused "calamitous catastrophes resulting in the wide-spread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants including innocent babes, infants, children, the aged and infirm without mercy or distinction."

Chambers also says God "has manifested neither compassion nor remorse, proclaiming that defendant will laugh" when calamity comes.

Chambers asks for the court to grant him a summary judgment. He said as an alternative, he wants the judge to set a date for a hearing as expeditiously as possible and enter a permanent injunction enjoining God from engaging in the types of deleterious actions and the making of terroristic threats described in the lawsuit.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you want to continue in that vein with more spooky nonfiction, try The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson. It's about a horrifying epidemic in London and how they figured out where it came from.

Noted. Without looking it up at all or knowing anything about the book or even what period of history we're talking about, just based on it being London history: I'm gonna guess it had to do with them using the Thames for all matters of waste that existed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Probably one of those public taps that thousands of sickly weirdoes shared

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Terra-da-loo! posted:

They are. Erik Larson has the gift of finding a way to make you give a poo poo about things that you don't give a poo poo about.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Martinpale posted:

They are. Erik Larson has the gift of finding a way to make you give a poo poo about things that you don't give a poo poo about.

like landscape architecture
or the internal politics of the weather bureau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

69"You seem to be posting just fine,"

Thus spoke the LORD.

gently caress lol