Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

DEMAG posted:

I don't know why I clicked the ticker hashtag. I should have known it was crypto. It's always crypto.

You click it for this.
https://twitter.com/OracleOfAlts/status/1156216712712400896

Well I'm convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Christ this is the first I've ever heard of XRP and it somehow has a cap of over $13B.

I feel like a chump.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Residency Evil posted:

Christ this is the first I've ever heard of XRP and it somehow has a cap of over $13B.

I feel like a chump.

perhaps you should take out a loan

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Residency Evil posted:

I feel like a chump.

It's not too late man just buy up now and wait for it to skyrocket! CRYPTO IS THE FUTURE WOOOOOOOOOO

Also, unrelated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ck7mzo/essential_oils_eating_our_budget/

quote:

Essential Oils eating our Budget (self.personalfinance)

submitted 28 minutes ago by gsjohnson13

Mid-thirties, 2 pre-school kids, no debt except mortgage, 30% savings rate. Doing great financially, but I feel like I'm too controlling about my DW's spending.

DW is a SAHM and thinks vitamins, essential oils, and skin care is important for our young family but I've only seen increasing spending from <$100 to >$300 per month over the past few years. I don't see the need for all of it but I don't want to be against something she's passionate about. Unfortunately she's not the type to put herself out there and sell this stuff to her friends so we end up eating the entire $300 per month.

If it's about being healthy and balanced I understand her needs but I would rather her spend $200 on something like a yoga studio or spa membership and only $100 per month on the oils and vitamin stuff. $3600 per year in products seems excessive.

I've previously equated this spending to her hobby and tried to compare our spending (I spend similar amounts monthly on fishing/running/cycling stuff) but she always get defensive about me comparing my hobbies to her just "trying to keep our family healthy".

I don't want this dispute over oils and vitamins to bleed over into me scrutinizing all of her purchases of what she thinks is necessary for our kids and family but I would like to but a firm budget on this type of stuff. I've proposed that she get a bank account that I deposit $300- $500 per month that I can't scrutinize but even that feels like we're hiding the problem. How do you compromise about spending that we will never agree if it's a "need" or "want"?

When pushed about this being MLM:

quote:

Definitely involved in a MLM but probably only $150 of it is with that company and the other $150 on vitamins for her and the kids. It is brainwashing but so is my hobby of running half marathons :)

Dude's wife gets sucked in to an MLM and doesn't bother trying to sell a drat thing, just wants to buy and use the products. He's totally OK with it though because exercising/sports are perfectly comparable "hobbies."

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I can't find a clip of it but things reminded me of this parks and rec scene. Especially how he says "Buffett"

April: You gave Tom all your money?
Andy: Yeah, well, I’m investing. I’m like Warren Buffett. 
April: I kinda feel like it would’ve been good for you to have your own place.
Andy: Ah, yeah I know, but I feel like Tom really needed the money and small sacrifice to see one of your best friend’s dreams come true. 

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

There's a TON of people replying that this is a scam. But why would Warren Buffet scam anyone?

Ah, you see there's a trick:

Clearly a dude who's got it all figured out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

There's a TON of people replying that this is a scam. But why would Warren Buffet scam anyone?

Ah, you see there's a trick:

Clearly a dude who's got it all figured out.

Clearly the scam will only work if you follow these specific instructions.

Alan Smithee posted:

perhaps you should take out a loan

I'm not jealous of crypto investors. I'm jealous of the guys who figured out that you can fleece morons by starting Yet Another Crypto Currency.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I amended a return from 2017 and owe irs 23,000 (self.IRS)

https://www.reddit.com/r/IRS/comments/ck9zrp/i_amended_a_return_from_2017_and_owe_irs_23000/

submitted an hour ago by anonanon1190

quote:

I got involved in the cryptocurrency world in college and had no idea what i was doing (FIFO, calculating capital gains etc). Havent touched any crypto since 2017 but with all the recent new about the IRS looking at bitcoin i got scared and used an online calculator to track all my old sales. Needless to say i was so freaked out when i saw i owed 23000 in capital gains taxes!

I have already sent my amended return to the IRS, and done an online payment for the amount shown as owed on the 1040X

What are the next steps? I obviously never meant to hide anything i have always paid my taxes on time and accurately every years.

What kind of interest and penalties am i looking at??? Ive been so scared ever since i figured out how much i owe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Motronic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IRS/comments/ck9zrp/i_amended_a_return_from_2017_and_owe_irs_23000/

I may be wrong about this but if you owe $23,000 in cap gains taxes, that means you made many more times that in profits while trading, no?

Of course, it could be that the guy spent all the money he made and didn't account for cap gains tax, but I am seriously learning towards "the online calculator he used was terribly inaccurate".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I may be wrong about this but if you owe $23,000 in cap gains taxes, that means you made many more times that in profits while trading, no?

At some point - but with most of these crypto "traders" they lost it all again on shitcoins.

Every sell is a taxable event. So every time you move from BTC to SHT it's taxable. You then move SHT back to BTC and it's taxable. Then BTC crashes right before the end of the year and you have real taxed to pay on real gains but you don't have any real money left to pay it.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The usual problem in that time frame is that they did a ton of short term trades into other crypto, made theoretical money (big money at that), then lost it all the following year in the crypto crash. The losses being in the next year don't count against the gains the previous year, thus they are screwed almost completely if they fell into the regular pattern.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Motronic posted:

My boss is going to be going through this when I'm done with his 2017 taxes, whoops

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weird Credit Situation? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 35 minutes ago by Sahmoose

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ckb2il/weird_credit_situation/

quote:

Hello! I am new here but I had a question that maybe one of you could help me answer. I have an American Express card with a limit of 1000$ on it. I have had it maxed out for awhile now, until the past week or so. Over the past week, I have unfortunately gone on a really stupid gambling binge that I am not proud of. This stupid binge put my checking account at zero (I am 21 years old and normally don't have more than $1k at a time.) This left me with no way to pay any bills, for any food, gas, etc. until one month later when I get my check. So I figured I would just make a full statement balance payment on my Credit Card, even though I had no money in the bank. The way the bank processes Credit Card Payments (ACH) makes it possible to overdraw your account. American Express then pre-authorizes your payment and your credit line becomes instantly available. So I overdrew my account for $1k, used my american express to Venmo my friend, then had him withdraw the money from his bank account. Later on, I made another payment on the Amex putting my credit line back up to 600. But just this morning, my bank returned the Credit Card payment of $1k and just hit me with an overdraft fee. Now my credit line is at 0 on the Amex. While I don't need someone to lecture me for my very poor decision (I know how bad it is to be this irresponsible), I do need some advice about my American Express and how they handle Returned payments.

I see this is not his first time......

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Simpsons Reference posted:

My boss is going to be going through this when I'm done with his 2017 taxes, whoops
Please tell me you have a backup plan and another job lined up when your boss won't take "stop doing financial crimes" for an answer.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
BWM 2019: when your boss won't take "stop doing financial crimes" for an answer

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol, of course the boss also touches buttcoins

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Please tell me you have a backup plan and another job lined up when your boss won't take "stop doing financial crimes" for an answer.

Finish my CPA

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

BWM 2019: when your boss won't take "stop doing financial crimes" for an answer
Normally I would agree. But the current title still makes me chuckle every time.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
EDIT: Whoops! Thought this was the corporate thread.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 31, 2019

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Filing bankruptcy at 21 years old ?

quote:

*Location U.S.

I was out of high school and my dad wanted me to help him with his concrete/ construction business. So I passed the exam and got a license under my name (his past license was all messy) until now the contractors bond insurance company got in touch with me saying my dad and I owe over 20,000 due to my dad and his workers unfinished job performance reported from the home owners. There is no way I can get this out my name since I signed the papers for it . I know the consequences and what comes with bankruptcy I jus want to know anyone’s opinion.i can’t even pay this debt like that. I just had my first kid this past April and working a job that pays me 11.33$ an hour and it pays me bi weekly I’m really in a hole

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I think you're looking for the Sad With Money thread

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Dude's wife gets sucked in to an MLM and doesn't bother trying to sell a drat thing, just wants to buy and use the products. He's totally OK with it though because exercising/sports are perfectly comparable "hobbies."

It’s certainly BWM but honestly it’s better than actually getting into the MLM thing and becoming a leech to your friends and family while ALSO being BWM

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fuckin yikes

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Doing business with family is BWM

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

That's bad, but it's kind of in between co-signing for an auto loan and taking out six figures of student loan debt. $20k doesn't seem insurmountable but I guess if you're earning that little and have a new baby it's a steep hill to climb. :(

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Asimov posted:

That's bad, but it's kind of in between co-signing for an auto loan and taking out six figures of student loan debt. $20k doesn't seem insurmountable but I guess if you're earning that little and have a new baby it's a steep hill to climb. :(

With both of those examples, at least you're getting something in return for the money you're spending, compared to just getting your dad's surety bond penalties thrown into your face

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Co-signing a loan for anyone ever is inherently BWM, with the sole exception of it’s your barely-adult child who has no credit history yet.

If your parent/kid/sibling/cousin/SO/beer league teammate can’t get their own loan, there’s a reason for that

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 1, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I thought maybe don't "invest" the line of credit in a CD, but maybe I'm not on his level of thinking

I applied to four jobs yesterday, so shame on me for self-posting, but as long as I work here I'll have bad with money stories.

Alright, so the attorney has ordered me to deposit all of our income going forward in to what is known as an IOLTA account. Basically, when we accept payments for application filing fees or retainers, it's supposed to go in to a collective client trust account until it's earned. A real accountant or maybe even an attorney can give a better explanation. We were already using it, so it's a real thing, but now our cash deposits have to go in too.

Anyway, he has it in his head that apparently, if we deposit all of our income in to that account and don't take any out/use our LOC to pay for everything, he won't have to pay any taxes. I tried to explain the phrases income, expenses, net income, and tax liability, but he wasn't having any of it and just wants to not pay taxes. I have a feeling he's going to be disappointed and decide it's bad accounting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god. I know snitches get stitches but please report him to the IRS and/or the Bar because if that is his logic then he doesn’t deserve to practice law.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I don't attribute it to malice though. It's sheer ignorance of the "i can't work overtime or i'll go up to the next tax bracket!!" sort.

He's not going to do anything shady like hide money, because we're not sophisticated like that, he's just going to get a fair tax bill and be delusional in thinking he got ripped off.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

if that is his logic then he doesn’t deserve to practice law.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sounds like a lawyer who insists on being called an attorney.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

I don't attribute it to malice though. It's sheer ignorance of the "i can't work overtime or i'll go up to the next tax bracket!!" sort.

He's not going to do anything shady like hide money, because we're not sophisticated like that, he's just going to get a fair tax bill and be delusional in thinking he got ripped off.

He's going to think [i]you're[i] the reason he's paying taxes and fire you come tax time, then get himself in deeper trouble. Find a new job ASAP and when you turn in your two weeks, give him an honest explanation that you're leaving because he cannot manager his company's money appropriately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or alternatively just give the standard “I love it here but the fit wasn’t quite right and I couldn’t pass on this opportunity” spiel because where is the business/career angle in being honest?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
They’ve already said they’re looking for a new job so right now there isn’t much to do but :justpost: for our entertainment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The most exciting part of an ocean voyage is the sinking.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

The most exciting part of an ocean voyage is the sinking.
You really get to see a lot of what the ocean has to offer up close and personal that way.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Alright, so the attorney has ordered me to deposit all of our income going forward in to what is known as an IOLTA account. Basically, when we accept payments for application filing fees or retainers, it's supposed to go in to a collective client trust account until it's earned. A real accountant or maybe even an attorney can give a better explanation. We were already using it, so it's a real thing, but now our cash deposits have to go in too.

Anyway, he has it in his head that apparently, if we deposit all of our income in to that account and don't take any out/use our LOC to pay for everything, he won't have to pay any taxes. I tried to explain the phrases income, expenses, net income, and tax liability, but he wasn't having any of it and just wants to not pay taxes. I have a feeling he's going to be disappointed and decide it's bad accounting.

This is also almost certainly unethical under your state’s bar rules relating to IOLTA accounts. Money in IOLTA should only contain unearned money belonging to the client. If you keep your own earned money in there too then that’s commingling and not allowed.

Of course, tax fraud is also an ethical violation but the fraud investigation will also likely lead to someone checking the IOLTA books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Photex posted:

Doing business with family is BWM

Taking the risk of self-posting here but my dad owned a business in the towing / truck sales and repair industry and he was always making BWM decisions. Stuff like taking a loan or the money out of an IRA to bridge truck financing but not getting the money back in on time and having to pay all the penalties as taxes, making up fake trucks to get financing, always in a cash crunch, etc.

Worked with him until I was 30 before I went into IT and had a side business. When he was replacing computers he tried to talk me into some shady deal to inflate the costs so he could get financing on the overall cost and use the excess cash for whatever. I’d developed a moral compass by then and that was not sitting right with me so I refused.

He was also BWM(arriage) cheated on my mom for decades and paid for two households since he was shacked up with his girlfriend, also BWMoney. Even after selling his business he had not a lot left to show for it and he died broke last year. I had made my peace with him, accepting the good with the bad, but it took years for me to get my own personal finances in order and to unlearn the poo poo I picked up from him.