Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“I love Israel they know how to deal with them there Muslims, as a Jew you must understand what I mean”

No rather as a Jew I remember when a genocidal ethnostate tried to kill all of us and that’s why I hate Israel

E: also timezones

this x1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

As I continue to listen to "Sapiens, a brief history of humankind", I have to listen to some British guy using 1 and a half hours explaining to me how abstract concepts have no power unless humankind collectively believes in it, such as a government, money, church etc. and that our belief in abstract concepts and myths gives us more power to cooperate. Took me one minute.

The title should read "The most pedantic explanation of humankind". Its like all the examples used to explain all of this was made meticulously and purposefully to prevent people from misinterpreting/discrediting it on purpose on a technicality even if they genuinely got the gist of it. I swear if university is like this I am going to become one of those "Learn a trade" people or continue with my dead end job.

Midig has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Aug 2, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

More shortness problems:

UPS driver just asked me if my mom or dad was home.

Funny once. Not funny after eleven years at the same address.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only way to deal with that is to really embarrass them. Make them feel like a dick.

Or get really jacked and grow a massive beard.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Midig posted:

I swear if university is like this I am going to become one of those "Learn a trade" people or continue with my dead end job.

Oh strap yourself in and get ready to meet some huge egos.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

More shortness problems:

UPS driver just asked me if my mom or dad was home.

Funny once. Not funny after eleven years at the same address.

Don’t worry, we have higher life expectancy than those gargantuan freaks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate eating on the beach. The beach is gross, sand is nasty, wasps, crowds, sun blinding you as you try to take a bite. I love swimming in the sea but the beach kind of sucks as a place to hang out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gently caress beachy beaches. Give me a desolate stretch of rocky coast at a comfy -8.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

gently caress beachy beaches. Give me a desolate stretch of rocky coast at a comfy -8.

:yeah:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

To lend weight to my argument, I should add that I am posting from the beach.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
please note that our shop hours of 8am to 5pm are posted in 18" lettering on our door, yet we had a customer drop her car off last night at 9pm according to the note she left us about it -- with no appointment, either. when she called this morning at 8 she wanted to know that it was done and we were like well the techs just got in and they're handling people who had appointments rn and she said we were making up excuses, why wasn't it looked at last night, so we're like maam last night we were CLOSED and she loving says THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN EXCUSE. i hate her immensely

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

please note that our shop hours of 8am to 5pm are posted in 18" lettering on our door, yet we had a customer drop her car off last night at 9pm according to the note she left us about it -- with no appointment, either. when she called this morning at 8 she wanted to know that it was done and we were like well the techs just got in and they're handling people who had appointments rn and she said we were making up excuses, why wasn't it looked at last night, so we're like maam last night we were CLOSED and she loving says THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN EXCUSE. i hate her immensely

How long have you lived in Reform, AL?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i am in New York. the south doesnt have a monopoly on aggressively stupid people. the woman is a fuckin teacher at a local school and i feel so bad for her students since she's this loving unreasonable

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

i am in New York. the south doesnt have a monopoly on aggressively stupid people. the woman is a fuckin teacher at a local school and i feel so bad for her students since she's this loving unreasonable

I hate the person you're describing so much

Or that kind of person at least

How the gently caress does one end up so goddam entitled

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yeah I'm sitting here genuinely angry after reading that. Thanks.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I mean yeah that's literally what an excuse is. An explanation of why something didn't go the way you expected it to.

What a stupid idiot

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is it just me or are more companies starting to do that annoying lularoe thing where they give clothing real people name and refer to it as "she/her"? I know the "who are you wearing" thing has been around forever, but it just sounds weird to see people on facebook saying "she costs 19.99 and she'll look great on you" etc. It's just a shirt, and an ugly shirt at that. It really is amazing how people will pour their entire lifes savings into shilling your crappy product (which barely even sells because all you get are the sizes nobody wants) if you form a weird cult around it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

People who use "op" to refer to anyone other than the person who started the thread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pastry of the Year posted:

People who use "op" to refer to anyone other than the person who started the thread.

When did that start, anyhow? I distinctly remember starting to tell people "that's not the OP" thinking they were confused then it just became standard OPerating procedure

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the theme to Mr. Peanutbutter's House has been stuck in my head for days and I want it to stop.

nick nack paddywhack GIVE A DOG A BONE

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Exterior motion activated lights should be illegal. One of my neighbors has one above their front door that's brighter that what could be useful for anything involving a front door and flips on and off all night every time someone walks past.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I typically walk my dog at night and yeah there are like 1 or 2 houses we go past that just turn the enter street to daytime level brightness and I just shake my head and pity their neighbors. poo poo is ridiculous.

If I had a bedroom facing the street across from them it would become some kind of passive aggressive neighbor feud. Luckily I'm blessed to live in a nice quiet cul-de-sac with no a-holes, just outside the HOA boundary.

Ok 1 a-hole

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Exterior motion activated lights should be illegal. One of my neighbors has one above their front door that's brighter that what could be useful for anything involving a front door and flips on and off all night every time someone walks past.

In this vein, my one neighbor has a quadrillion-lumen floodlight on the back of his garage for some loving reason. They can't see it, it lights nothing at all, but it's a hellish and ugly bright thing when I'm trying to relax by the fire pit in my backyard. It's like five houses away and it still blinds me when I look directly at it!!!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Our neighbors asked us to turn off our side-door auto light because it shone directly into one of their bedrooms. We did, immediately. But ask them not to keep parking their various vehicles up and down there road and right up to our driveway and you'd think we'd asked them to sacrifice their first-born. Assholes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

Our neighbors asked us to turn off our side-door auto light because it shone directly into one of their bedrooms. We did, immediately. But ask them not to keep parking their various vehicles up and down there road and right up to our driveway and you'd think we'd asked them to sacrifice their first-born. Assholes.

Well, at least you know you have a bargaining chip! No cars, no light. And the dance continues.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Midig posted:

As I continue to listen to "Sapiens, a brief history of humankind", I have to listen to some British guy using 1 and a half hours explaining to me how abstract concepts have no power unless humankind collectively believes in it, such as a government, money, church etc. and that our belief in abstract concepts and myths gives us more power to cooperate. Took me one minute.

The title should read "The most pedantic explanation of humankind". Its like all the examples used to explain all of this was made meticulously and purposefully to prevent people from misinterpreting/discrediting it on purpose on a technicality even if they genuinely got the gist of it. I swear if university is like this I am going to become one of those "Learn a trade" people or continue with my dead end job.

I really enjoyed this book when I read it a couple years ago. Seemed like an interesting and detached way to describe human history in a way that re-contextualizes the present. Then I read the followup, Homo Deus a few months ago, and suddenly the whole charade came crashing down. The author is a dude that very obviously thinks he's a lot more intelligent and insightful than he really is. The book doesn't live up to its title whatsoever, and instead starts preaching the merits of "dataism" – a religious belief in the power of capitalistic algorithms.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Sounds like it's time to "forget" about your agreement and tell them to buy some curtains when they come by again. If you have to tolerate their crap, they should have to tolerate yours.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

They are the worst. Well, the old man's good, but (some of?) his kids and grandkids moved in when his wife died and they're impossible. My first post in this thread was about their goddamn van. It's still there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I love going for predawn runs and getting completely blinded by these motherfuckers

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I had to argue with management when I learned tonight that the ingredients we use are far above acceptable food safe temperatures.
I'm talking about 15° Celsius higher than proper refrigeration standards for certain items.
The general manager of the restaurant immediately began blaming the staff for not covering the ingredients etc, which is bullshit.
My co-workers are wonderful, they work hard and they know their stuff.
The walk-in cooler is broken, the line coolers are broken, everything is loving broken.
As I was (unnecessarily) arguing with the general manager, she offered to show me the report that the health inspector made the last time they visited, approximately 10 days ago.
The first line I read said "Items above normal temperature, 8-10°C"
That is 5-7° Celsius higher than they should be.
The general manager showed me this report confidently, like she would prove me wrong somehow.
I laughed.
I literally laughed.
Her excuse was that because it's summer, coolers get warm.
I said that the whole point of having coolers is to keep ingredients cold, despite seasonal influence.
She told me that we should be putting ice underneath (yes, underneath) the meats on the line.
I left.
I went home.
I refuse to make innocent people sick.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I had to argue with management when I learned tonight that the ingredients we use are far above acceptable food safe temperatures.
I'm talking about 15° Celsius higher than proper refrigeration standards for certain items.
The general manager of the restaurant immediately began blaming the staff for not covering the ingredients etc, which is bullshit.
My co-workers are wonderful, they work hard and they know their stuff.
The walk-in cooler is broken, the line coolers are broken, everything is loving broken.
As I was (unnecessarily) arguing with the general manager, she offered to show me the report that the health inspector made the last time they visited, approximately 10 days ago.
The first line I read said "Items above normal temperature, 8-10°C"
That is 5-7° Celsius higher than they should be.
The general manager showed me this report confidently, like she would prove me wrong somehow.
I laughed.
I literally laughed.
Her excuse was that because it's summer, coolers get warm.
I said that the whole point of having coolers is to keep ingredients cold, despite seasonal influence.
She told me that we should be putting ice underneath (yes, underneath) the meats on the line.
I left.
I went home.
I refuse to make innocent people sick.

Absolutely ran into this multiple times in food service, and thank you for making a stand about it. I got so much poo poo for not washing lettuce that fell on the kitchen floor, not cutting mold off things to serve them, not holding ingredients over time or over temp. They make me take a servsafe cert then get mad when I use a thermometer and my brain? Work is such a bullshit ballet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah that seems pretty widespread if Kitchen Nightmares is to be believed. Send Gordon their way so he can make them smell some mold and smash a rotten tomato on the ground and shut it down while he screams "you're going to loving KILL somebody!" and they play that annoying reality TV show violin noise and cut to commercial.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Restaurant food is almost always way more disgusting than you think, and the owners and managers almost always way more awful

I had a kitchen manager once that would straight up jerk off while on the line, like just openly rubbing himself off through his pants while staring down the woman employees. He also did loads of coke with the owner.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Aug 5, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah that seems pretty widespread if Kitchen Nightmares is to be believed. Send Gordon their way so he can make them smell some mold and smash a rotten tomato on the ground and shut it down while he screams "you're going to loving KILL somebody!" and they play that annoying reality TV show violin noise and cut to commercial.

I remember vividly the Restaurant: Impossible episode where a mushroom was growing from the inside cooler wall.

A smooth stainless steel surface. Mushroom.

I quit one job when I saw the mop water went right under the waterproof lining around the cooler, and a poo poo-ton of tiny worms washed out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Repaving the left 2 lanes of a 3 lane high way at an on-ramp at 7:00 in on a Monday morning.

The last 7 minute of my drive in to work became 27 minutes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who play music in public on a phone should be summarily executed

Like on the beach. Cut it out with that poo poo motherfucker im worshipping Poseidon here

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Aug 5, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

People who play music in public on a phone should be summarily executed

similarly, people who walk around talking into their phones like this

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

You're probably aware, but that style of talking on the phone was invented by reality tv shows so that the cameras could hear both sides of a conversation. So of course dumb dumbs mimic the behavior because they saw famous person do it.

My pet peeve, people who park in the driving lane at grocery stores and sit in the car and wait for someone inside to do their shopping. There's a whole lot of spots right there! Park, then pull up to the door once the person comes out. Stop blocking traffic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I once saw a very large woman walking down the aisle at Aldi talking on her phone that was very well balanced on her shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I once saw a very large woman walking down the aisle at Aldi talking on her phone that was very well balanced on her shoulder.

My nonpeeve favourite is when women tuck their phones into their hijab to hold it against their ear