Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Address talk:

Y'all should read this: https://www.mjt.me.uk/posts/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-addresses/

In my experience this is usually caused by a crappy password form that just cuts off the password right then and there as soon as it sees a special symbol it can't handle (like a dollar sign). If you remove all special characters it might go through.

I thought of that and made sure it was alphanumeric ASCII, I even removed all digits so it was just uppercase and lowercase ASCII letters. it still complained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Joe8Bit/status/1156312965265707013

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sounds about right.

Not directly related, but reading that made me explicitly realize that tweet “threads” are a normal thing these days. Isn’t the concept of a self-reply tweet “thread” antithetical to the original intent of twitter? You can write a whole drat article now and chain it together. Doesn’t that make the character limit essentially artificial?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ruggan posted:

Sounds about right.

Not directly related, but reading that made me explicitly realize that tweet “threads” are a normal thing these days. Isn’t the concept of a self-reply tweet “thread” antithetical to the original intent of twitter? You can write a whole drat article now and chain it together. Doesn’t that make the character limit essentially artificial?

The character limit was doubled not too long ago. And it didn't come from an inspired insight into the creativity of restriction, but by SMS-limts. 160 characters minus some required header. Lots of Twitter features are official implementations of emergent user behavior. Retweets used to be just writing RT, then pasting in the username and text yourself. Replies used to not really be replies in any technical sense, at some point they added a tweet belong to another tweet as a reply. Then the concept of twitter threads emerged, then they implemented more stuff around that. They're slowly inventing forums.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It creates a halting style of conversation but it does encourage having a good hook and making your point clear up front, so I dunno

Design decisions are the least of twitter's problems. Unless someone wants to make a horror article about what happens when tweets get mass-reported by bullies, which I'm sure is a hell of a dumb process

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ola posted:

The character limit was doubled not too long ago. And it didn't come from an inspired insight into the creativity of restriction, but by SMS-limts. 160 characters minus some required header. Lots of Twitter features are official implementations of emergent user behavior. Retweets used to be just writing RT, then pasting in the username and text yourself. Replies used to not really be replies in any technical sense, at some point they added a tweet belong to another tweet as a reply. Then the concept of twitter threads emerged, then they implemented more stuff around that. They're slowly inventing forums.

What's impressive is that the official implementation of retweets manages to be worse a lot of the time than faking it.

Why? It's impossible to link to a retweet. Even if you manually dig out the ID of the retweet, twitter just redirects you to the original tweet. To show a retweet in context you have to take a screenshot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ruggan posted:

Did you work at Epic at some point? Because your av black text looks infected.

Yeah I was at epic for 5 years and I have a Stockholm fondness for mumps. I work at Apple now though.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

jit bull transpile posted:

Japanese addresses are really cool because they're a perfectly orderly hierarchical structure from country to state to city all the way down to the city block, when poo poo gets wild and the building / houses are numbered in order of construction except when they're not and gently caress you figuring out how they're numbered then.

i love how perfect this is as a metaphor for anything to do with putting human things into a computer. so nice and clean and logical until a certain point, when you suddenly run into a brick wall of arbitrary and unworkable complexity - which is, it goes without saying, totally different between countries, states, cities, neighborhoods, ...

see also: names, dates, times, writing (may god have mercy on the unicode committee)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

redleader posted:

i love how perfect this is as a metaphor for anything to do with putting human things into a computer. so nice and clean and logical until a certain point, when you suddenly run into a brick wall of arbitrary and unworkable complexity - which is, it goes without saying, totally different between countries, states, cities, neighborhoods, ...

see also: names, dates, times, writing (may god have mercy on the unicode committee)

And the first instinct of computer people is "Well, the world will have to change. Hold my soylent, I feel a TED talk coming on." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

redleader posted:

The single biggest book I've ever seen was a hardcopy of the unicode 4.0 standard. I can only imagine that it's gotten worse.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

jit bull transpile posted:

Stockholm fondness

:eyepop: IDK if you just made that up but I like it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Japanese address system has the important design benefit of being hostile to strangers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any system that's trying to describe reality should have some capability to divert unprocessable input to be handled by a human. Once that's in place, you can then work on incrementally expanding the number of cases that the system can handle correctly.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bongo Bill posted:

Any system that's trying to describe reality should have some capability to divert unprocessable input to be handled by a human. Once that's in place, you can then work on incrementally expanding the number of cases that the system can handle correctly.

Preferably while careening towards a concrete barrier at 80mph on the freeway

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
so I've just started a new dev job without being told that the code I'm working on is some special thing from 2007

Developing on your local machine? Who needs that when you can upload all of your code to the server with some absolutely insane node.js script that everyone is expected to have?

Want to debug your script, on live? Just mess about with the headers, everything will be fine, I promise!

it's Legacy, with a capital L for "leg it"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Westie posted:

so I've just started a new dev job without being told that the code I'm working on is some special thing from 2007

Developing on your local machine? Who needs that when you can upload all of your code to the server with some absolutely insane node.js script that everyone is expected to have?

Want to debug your script, on live? Just mess about with the headers, everything will be fine, I promise!

it's Legacy, with a capital L for "leg it"

Lol at thinking 2007 is legacy, the core of the product I worked on two jobs ago had code from the 80s, compiled with gcc 2.8 on solaris 7 boxes.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

feedmegin posted:

Lol at thinking 2007 is legacy, the core of the product I worked on two jobs ago had code from the 80s, compiled with gcc 2.8 on solaris 7 boxes.

There's legacy as in old, and then there's legacy as in shite

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

legacy means that it's important but the person who wrote it either isn't here anymore or is impossibly difficult to work with

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New code can be legacy code if it's written badly enough.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A true 10x developer has the ability to write new code that instantly qualifies as Legacy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've heard it said that legacy code is code that isn't tested.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bongo Bill posted:

It's been tested in the streets.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Bongo Bill posted:

I've been told that tests are useless and people should just learn to code. Checkmate.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Bongo Bill posted:

I have written legacy code that has 300 pages of manual qa test cases even though we have automated tests and the works - no matter, it's legacy. Legacy just means " I really, really, really don't want to gently caress with this poo poo because people will bitch if I change it."

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What the gently caress, why would anyone ever write legacy code

Just don't write it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just make sure my code is so bad nobody would ever use it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just make sure my code is so bad nobody would ever use it.

Job security!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
All code is legacy code. It's the same way that the speed of light is finite so you're always seeing backwards in time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

you should only write code that will never be used in production

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

QuarkJets posted:

you should only write code that will never be used in production

this is why people will start "replacement" projects for existing products. replacement projects are great because they don't have any users so you can write whatever the hell you want, you don't have to worry about requirements issues because you can point at the legacy project and be like "it should do what this product does, only better", and you can go hog wild on using trendy technologies and making your resume look better so you can jump ship in a couple of years and repeat the process again.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I wanted to do one of those, a dumber down replacement for SA's forums server, as a backup plan for SA should it go offline but everyone said the job would be much bigger than it looked. I had thought it would be so simple I could roll my own forums engine as long as I migrated over nothing. But I could tell based on everyone else's reactions that it would eat me alive in unexpected ways

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I wanted to do one of those, a dumber down replacement for SA's forums server, as a backup plan for SA should it go offline but everyone said the job would be much bigger than it looked. I had thought it would be so simple I could roll my own forums engine as long as I migrated over nothing. But I could tell based on everyone else's reactions that it would eat me alive in unexpected ways

username-post combo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

skull mask mcgee posted:

username-post combo

Unbelievable

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

skull mask mcgee posted:

username-post combo

Incredible

Edit: if you ever do this, please cross post it here

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Incredible

Edit: if you ever do this, please cross post it here

i have trouble believing dumb lowtax is actually real sometimes - I have tracked his posting gimmick and he posts as if he is a professor of some kind, and that there are students that are subjected to his code - which actually is believable, given my interaction with my undergrad computer science professors.

another poster that i had big problems with is unidef freeman, and it made me extremely happy that lowtax came out and said "unidef freeman is insane" because i thought everyone else was just in on the joke, but it turned out he was actually schizophrenic/ other means of completely out of his mind, which was a huge confidence boost, given that he posted a bunch here and people routinely ignored him.

this isn't a slight on you, dumb lowtax, if you so happen to read this - i read shsc and i see posters that i remember starting as posters that were having problems getting jobs as programmers and i have witnessed them grow into actual alleged senior developers at some poor company somewhere, and I personally can remember myself going from "oh poo poo, how do i get people to hire me" to designing terrible legacy software and getting paid for it (allegedly, the company i work for could be a yakuza front, but i keep getting paid somehow.) but shine on you crazy diamond.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i have trouble believing dumb lowtax is actually real sometimes - I have tracked his posting gimmick and he posts as if he is a professor of some kind, and that there are students that are subjected to his code - which actually is believable, given my interaction with my undergrad computer science professors.

another poster that i had big problems with is unidef freeman, and it made me extremely happy that lowtax came out and said "unidef freeman is insane" because i thought everyone else was just in on the joke, but it turned out he was actually schizophrenic/ other means of completely out of his mind, which was a huge confidence boost, given that he posted a bunch here and people routinely ignored him.

this isn't a slight on you, dumb lowtax, if you so happen to read this - i read shsc and i see posters that i remember starting as posters that were having problems getting jobs as programmers and i have witnessed them grow into actual alleged senior developers at some poor company somewhere, and I personally can remember myself going from "oh poo poo, how do i get people to hire me" to designing terrible legacy software and getting paid for it (allegedly, the company i work for could be a yakuza front, but i keep getting paid somehow.) but shine on you crazy diamond.

Jesus people, the man said he was contemplating writing a forum software and only gave up after you guys yelled at him on how hard it would be. If anything, you should be ashamed of yourselves for your attitude. Given the fact that the large majority of software is written by people that just hit the keyboard with some part of their body and ship it when it compiles , your attitude is that much more shocking. Well done, taking the man down.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 3, 2019

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Crazy Lowtax, I would post on your crazy forum, albeit crazily.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Volguus posted:

Jesus people, the man said he was contemplating writing a forum software and only gave up after you guys yelled at him on how hard it would be. If anything, you should be ashamed of yourselves for your attitude. Given the fact that the large majority of software is written by people that just hit the keyboard with some part of their body and ship it when it compiles , your attitude is that much more shocking. Well done, taking the man down.

when is your replacement forums project starting

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
It's just an autodidact developer thrust into responsibility. The only thing is they tend to take their idiosyncratic ways as the one true path, but at least they are able to listen and take feedback. The combination of humility and arrogance is fairly unique, I kind of dig it.