Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

caedwalla posted:

She also sends a special intelligence service person to assist and observe you but I don't think they ever actually show up or do anything, and are never mentioned again.

I'm pretty sure that's the younger sounding woman who gives you tactical updates and nearly falls asleep in that one industrial mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Carcer posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the younger sounding woman who gives you tactical updates and nearly falls asleep in that one industrial mission.

She's also the lamewad who goes ape-poo poo about magic towards the end.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

reginleiv had a character with melee weapons. reginleiv was a sandlot wii game that was never translated into english, and it was basically fantasy edf. unfortunately, even aside from all the usual sandlot jank it relied on abysmal motion controls which made the whole thing terribly un-fun.
Its fun enough if you can get a handle on the controls. A lot of the melee stuff is driven by the pointer, I.E the game's more about surgically removing giants limbs (which works just like the frogs/cosmonauts in edf5) by drawing quick lines across the screen than any sort of 1:1 arm swinging.The nunchuck waggle controls are pretty hit and miss though and the bows are very finicky. You can play with a classic controler too but its really not ideal to swing a hammer with an analogue stick.

Zangeki no Reginlev is a facinating game in general though, like it was specifically comissioned by nintendo because they wanted an adult oriented action game on their upcoming Wii console, but the game took so long to develop it eventually had motion plus support. Its also the one of 2 wii games to be published in a non-white box, the other one being New Super Mario Bros Wii. It bombed pretty hard so we never got an english release and project rainfall didn't give a poo poo about it unlike other japan only wii titles.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The guided rocket launchers are a lot of fun on missions where the queens show up. Once the first few hit and cause it to ragdoll in the air you can guide the rest so they either smash it down to the ground or fling it way up in the air :allears:
They are also not terrible against the deroys since you can just guide them to hit the main mass without having to think about the leg cannons.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Motherfucker posted:

Ahh that makes sense. I could not figure out who the gently caress kept hollering about egg shaped ships and Native Americans while the commander and chief intel lady were discussing sending unarmed civilians to fight the Giant Monsters and Humanoid Aliens (that look just like us).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I guess by the late stage of the game everyone forgot about us - or Intel Lady specifically can only come to the conclusion that armed civilians become super soldiers and is just "gently caress IT."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

Ops Girl Was Right

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Crabtree posted:

I guess by the late stage of the game everyone forgot about us - or Intel Lady specifically can only come to the conclusion that armed civilians become super soldiers and is just "gently caress IT."
Nah you're never forgotten (though they think you're dead from time to time). It's explicitly to buy time and keep the window of opportunity open as long as possible.

Motherfucker posted:

It worked for Stargate.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The series or the movie?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God, I love that The Sergeant eventually gets his loving laser cannon and totally kicks rear end with it

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that he gets defensive over it too.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just got iron rain since my wife loves the series. im real bummed by the lack of air raider

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Night10194 posted:

God, I love that The Sergeant eventually gets his loving laser cannon and totally kicks rear end with it

You can get one too, once the second mission pack is out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just when I thought I had seen everything, those last two missions were a doozy.

I sincerely miss the old missiles from the early games that didn't require a lock on scan.
Just fire it out and let the missile figure itself out.

There's just something so stupid and satisfying about firing off a dozen Air Tortoises before the first one hits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just how many missions are there?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate the grey aliens so loving much god drat

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Just how many missions are there?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I hate the rolly pollies. There are a lot of knock you down, attacks slow you down lol and attack you from all sides bullshit going on between the aggressors, bees and red ants. And as always, go gently caress yourself Retiarius. You wall hacking spindly poo poo, how the gently caress did you get me through several buildings half way across the map?!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The pill bugs rule. On the first mission with them, I was playing as wing diver so I was super excited to have some enemies with no ranged attacks after all those drat greys.

I parked on top of a building to watch them roll around and then suddenly from my left, one just smacks me in the head. Apparently they can jump pretty high.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vkeios posted:

The pill bugs rule. On the first mission with them, I was playing as wing diver so I was super excited to have some enemies with no ranged attacks after all those drat greys.

I parked on top of a building to watch them roll around and then suddenly from my left, one just smacks me in the head. Apparently they can jump pretty high.

My friend was driving a helicopter and laughing at us on the ground until one launched high enough to smack him out of the sky.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pills bugs are great when they are not knocking you around like a pinball in a swarm. It is like you can hear just how eager or afraid they are to fight you, depending on their condition.

Sakurazuka posted:

I hate the grey aliens so loving much god drat
There are much like frogs on steroids/speed. Blast their legs out quickly before they spin dash out of there. I understand how they are a massive pain if you have poo poo weapons. Emptying 2000 rounds of something into their back with the back scratcher from hell, as the screen gets covered in armor and flesh for 20 seconds before they finally die.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Plus they make such comical sounds.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Okay going to apologise for my previous remarks, I booted up Zangeki for the first time since 2012 and that certainly is a control scheme holy gently caress.

Still fun to hit things with a big hammer at the very least. I've never disagred with an aiming recticule quite as much as this however.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
How is Wing Diver supposed to deal with Monster City on Hard

This is a lot of dragons and Grom SS is not a substitute for Idunn

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a mission (26?) where you fight tons of reds on a beach and you can park your Wing Diver on a tree and kill them with impunity. Do that on Inferno enough times to get some better weapons. If you get better weapons. gently caress Inferno.
Maybe this can help. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730356204

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 2, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In 5, what's the best was to... I guess AFK farm?
I'm using the trainer to have unlimited pickup range so I just wanna sit back, launch missiles and listen to podcasts.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

How is Wing Diver supposed to deal with Monster City on Hard

This is a lot of dragons and Grom SS is not a substitute for Idunn

Tedious as poo poo but I find lances work pretty well with insta gibbing those dragons, and if you just keep moving constantly you'll eventually thin them out. Normal mode I was using the double lance, we're playing hardest now and I'm still trying to find my replacement.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crabtree posted:

I hate the rolly pollies. There are a lot of knock you down, attacks slow you down lol and attack you from all sides bullshit going on between the aggressors, bees and red ants. And as always, go gently caress yourself Retiarius. You wall hacking spindly poo poo, how the gently caress did you get me through several buildings half way across the map?!

For Species Gamma, find a parking garage or building with stairs, go up the stairs, and shoot them with impunity. As long as you don't destroy your cover, you're safe. For the beach mission with them, there's some rocks at the waterfall that you can hide in. Or just go Air Raider for that mission and bomb them to oblivion while summoning a Nix to unleash further havoc.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Inzombiac posted:

In 5, what's the best was to... I guess AFK farm?
I'm using the trainer to have unlimited pickup range so I just wanna sit back, launch missiles and listen to podcasts.
I heard mission 37 wins the game for you on solo mode. I am some missions away to find out.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 3, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard mission 37 wins the game for you on solo mode. I am some missions away to find out.

Plain of conflict? Mission 38 offline. And yeah, on hard difficulty solo, the npcs basically stomp everything. Even on hardest, you just need to kill/distract/disrupt the frogs, especially the two flankers, and you're good. Even on Inferno, if you carry your weight, it's free loot. Cheat engine loot radius script required to get all the drops, though, running it between waves otherwise you will hit the loot cap several times.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ambaire posted:

Plain of conflict? Mission 38 offline. And yeah, on hard difficulty solo, the npcs basically stomp everything. Even on hardest, you just need to kill/distract/disrupt the frogs, especially the two flankers, and you're good. Even on Inferno, if you carry your weight, it's free loot. Cheat engine loot radius script required to get all the drops, though, running it between waves otherwise you will hit the loot cap several times.

The air raider bombing run showcase map :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ambaire posted:

I forgot the solo-only tutorial mission counts as one mission.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Shine posted:

The air raider bombing run showcase map :allears:

This. If you do it with 3 airstrikes and a Nix, you will be summoning a Nix every 30s or faster. Also you'll probably not be able to summon air strikes fast enough. Especially on Inferno.

I only recently figured out that the reason an AR thing fills up but doesn't become available is because the old one is still going. I wish you could summon them as fast as they fill...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I also like that mission because the Naegling thingy is actually useful, between the wide open space and having a bunch of NPC's to hide behind. Makes it easy to mop up the drones.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
When doing mission 91/90 Sparkling Abyss, anyone know what's with the voice chatter about Signal 2 and lost contact?

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Ambaire posted:

When doing mission 91/90 Sparkling Abyss, anyone know what's with the voice chatter about Signal 2 and lost contact?

Some soldier tried to contact Signal 2, the platoom their friend was on, got told by the (very awesomily voiced) commander that they got wiped out, then whined about it until the commader calmly mentioned his brother was also in Signal 2.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you really wanna see how far a gamma can go, let them kill a bunch of npcs on one side of the map while you move to the other. Some of them will loving fly if they cannot path to you and land like mortar shells directly on your goddamn face.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

vkeios posted:

On mission 87, or whatever that weapon farming mission is, if you run to the cover immediately at the start and then look back towards where you left the NPC soldiers, you will eventually see the pill buggs jumping up into the clouds as they start heading towards your location. It's bizarre.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo I love this stupid Big Core

yes ma'am I absolutely will spam Monsters all day instead of flying anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can confirm that pill bugs regularly practice their superhero landings on your troops.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 3, 2019