Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

check the closet

(THIS ISN'T A JOKE ABOUT A SEXMONSTER BEING GAY, IT IS A REFERENCE TO A SONG OF HIS FROM POSSIBLY BEFORE MANY CSPAM RESIDENTS WERE BORN)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

so he bailed?

either he got moved to a small room with whiskey, a pistol, and a single bullet or he'll wind up "accidentally" dead in a cell in a completely unrelated district due to "procedural errors" after a few days have passed

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TMMadman posted:

Why would anyone declare they are going to cure cancer or AIDS if they aren't an actual scientist working in the field?

Even if there is a cure found sometime before the end of Trumps 1000 year reign, it wouldn't be him that cured it. It would be the scientists and they would be trying to do it regardless of any direction or payments from the government.

because they got brain worms

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

stay safe brain ghost

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

TMMadman posted:

Why would anyone declare they are going to cure cancer or AIDS if they aren't an actual scientist working in the field?

Even if there is a cure found sometime before the end of Trumps 1000 year reign, it wouldn't be him that cured it. It would be the scientists and they would be trying to do it regardless of any direction or payments from the government.

Michael Pence knows how to cure AIDS

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I like biotech plane posts

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Schnorkles posted:

real talk i work with oncology like every day and all the misinformation about the medicine surrounding cancer and where we are and etc. etc. is very infuriating

thats my story kthx

what do the crosstabs look like

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

because they got brain worms

I will cure brain worms

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Michael Pence knows how to cure AIDS

only have sex with mother

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1157303288418775040?s=20

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

real talk i work with oncology like every day and all the misinformation about the medicine surrounding cancer and where we are and etc. etc. is very infuriating

thats my story kthx

When my mom got cancer in like 1995 the strategy was "kill all the cells in her body and hope cancer runs out of cells before she does," is that still the general shape of it

E not even to say this was a bad strategy, it worked

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles is flying cancer patients around the country for their chemo treatments.

But before you go thanking him for this service, you should know that he charges $50000 a flight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Schnorkles is flying cancer patients around the country for their chemo treatments.

But before you go thanking him for this service, you should know that he charges $50000 a flight.

also, the plane can never get off the ground

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

fits my needs posted:

roast beef good eatin'

im looking for a hot snack myself

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lmao torgo inadvertently horseshoeing over into trustbusting

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

people (esp. politicians) treat cancer like its, idk, a flu or something. It's a disease that can be treated with medicine that goes in your body.

cancer is a side effect of being alive. if you live long enough, you will get cancer. "Curing" the condition would involve totally rewriting how we work as a species, and we're still stumbling around in the dark figuring out which molecules actually work because we can't even nail down fundamental principles in most cases like "this is how you treat thing."

Cancers that we can strangle to death by inhibiting hormones are in a very good place from a treatment perspective, everything else is still the wild west and something that resembles a "cure" is, in my mind, unlikely in our lifetimes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Like duh, of course it did because capitalism essentially demands that a company tries to become a monopoly.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I heard that everyone in Chicago can hear the cracking and pinging from Parker Molloy's brain today

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

people (esp. politicians) treat cancer like its, idk, a flu or something. It's a disease that can be treated with medicine that goes in your body.

cancer is a side effect of being alive. if you live long enough, you will get cancer. "Curing" the condition would involve totally rewriting how we work as a species, and we're still stumbling around in the dark figuring out which molecules actually work because we can't even nail down fundamental principles in most cases like "this is how you treat thing."

Cancers that we can strangle to death by inhibiting hormones are in a very good place from a treatment perspective, everything else is still the wild west and something that resembles a "cure" is, in my mind, unlikely in our lifetimes.

What about crispr

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Inspector Hound posted:

When my mom got cancer in like 1995 the strategy was "kill all the cells in her body and hope cancer runs out of cells before she does," is that still the general shape of it

depends on the kind of cancer. chemo is still fundamentally that, yes, but the chemo drugs now are a lot more targeted. radiation therapy is worlds better now, though. the fundamental issue with cancer is that it's hard to only target them. it's like when you reach into a bag of cheese poofs and only want to touch a single poof. no matter you do you will touch the others.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Inspector Hound posted:

not with some cancers

targeted therapies are making progress. like using anti-PD1 therapies for some cancers this goes after the tumors and doesn't have a systemic toxicity you see with earlier chemo therapies

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Inspector Hound posted:

yes. We've gotten better and are good at selecting radioactive agents (see like I-131 for thyroid cancer) that are preferentially selected by the place we're trying to treat so we don't just murder you entirely, but its still a lot of radioactives.

experimental treatments can and do work in some cases, but we really don't know why they do work and why they don't work. Also sometimes the treatments just kill you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tacodaemon posted:

I heard that everyone in Chicago can hear the cracking and pinging from Parker Molloy's brain today

It's reverberating throughout the city.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1157306197046890498?s=19

Smartest boy is smart so smart

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Jared sighing as he adds Cure Cancer and AIDS to his to-do list

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1157298503741300741

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1157306350063558657?s=20

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

trump

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

my capstone college project was showing how a big cancer research paper that had applied various machine learning and fancy statistical methods had ignored the assumptions required for the methods to work

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

like i can't remember the exact stats and what-not, but some of the immuno-oncology like treatments are really good at treating certain forms of lymphoma and have a much higher success rate there.

The fun and exciting secret is we don't really have a good sense why they work better there than other places. There's alot of hypothesis, of course, but nothing that's really born out in clinical trials.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinhendrix/status/1157223970669772800

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The really out-there drugs, on the cutting edge of our ability to handle the "actual bad" cancers, are still measuring their successes in terms of "months alive after diagnosis." Not years, months. Weeks better than existing treatments, months better than placebo. This is the stuff they're bothering to run trials on.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

when I visited Amsterdam and was stoned as poo poo for a week straight, I was convinced you could make a million bucks by setting up one box those fry stalls in an American city somewhere. like, what are your costs? potatoes? you can whip up a gigantic batch of mayo salsa and charge people a buck a squirt.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1157283338681507840?s=20

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Also the hot thing right now in cancer start ups is taking old molecules and saying "Wait, wait if we apply these new assumptions then they it may work great doing <x>"

Which investors are like falling over themselves to fund because they've already gone through toxicity trials

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157306442422136834
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157306452228366336

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

What about crispr

china's doing some experimental trials with it for cancer treatments (which only started in 2017), but i imagine it's only broadly applicable if you can determine the mutations that are causing each specific cancer and then edit them out

CRISPR has a lot of potential but it gives the impression of a lot of trial-and-error and fumbling in the dark to find solutions. the fact that you have to test the more radical treatments on living human beings also slows down the process

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

like i can't remember the exact stats and what-not, but some of the immuno-oncology like treatments are really good at treating certain forms of lymphoma and have a much higher success rate there.

The fun and exciting secret is we don't really have a good sense why they work better there than other places. There's alot of hypothesis, of course, but nothing that's really born out in clinical trials.

it's because, fundamentally, medicine still isn't science. there's no theories of cell function that capture what cells actually do, let alone a statistical theory of mass cell function. it's why i call doctors body technicians, which they seem to enjoy. very humble group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

Ha, she had non-hodgkins lymphoma. She's been looking after her granddaughter this week :3: