Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this guy is pretty weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If I could slap any politician I wanted but then I immediately die, I'm doing that slap.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i feel sort of chipper in the morning but by the afternoon i'm feeling like poo poo

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

looks like equifax set aside about 1/594th of what they needed to actually pay those settlement payouts

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chariman Kim

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

i feel sort of chipper in the morning but by the afternoon i'm feeling like poo poo

cortisol levels usually dip around 2 PM, so eat a snack and then drink a coffee or go for a run

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

he does not want to disappoint his friend, President Trump!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

people (esp. politicians) treat cancer like its, idk, a flu or something. It's a disease that can be treated with medicine that goes in your body.

cancer is a side effect of being alive. if you live long enough, you will get cancer. "Curing" the condition would involve totally rewriting how we work as a species, and we're still stumbling around in the dark figuring out which molecules actually work because we can't even nail down fundamental principles in most cases like "this is how you treat thing."

Cancers that we can strangle to death by inhibiting hormones are in a very good place from a treatment perspective, everything else is still the wild west and something that resembles a "cure" is, in my mind, unlikely in our lifetimes.

wow we'll never cure it with that attitude, mister

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Admiral Ray posted:

it's because, fundamentally, medicine still isn't science. there's no theories of cell function that capture what cells actually do, let alone a statistical theory of mass cell function. it's why i call doctors body technicians, which they seem to enjoy. very humble group of people.

i can't really get into any specifics because of NDAs and such-not, but we do a lot of data science and analytics support in this field.

there's a whole bunch of angry CEOs telling us to make the numbers say <x> when they really don't say <x>

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/RatPackDC/status/1156670196792401920?s=20
Absolutely pathetic

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Go Chariman

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

that's because you've got Kurtofan's Disease

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Inspector Hound posted:

R Kelly was but a visitor to our world

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

sucking off brutal dictators

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Schnorkles posted:

like i can't remember the exact stats and what-not, but some of the immuno-oncology like treatments are really good at treating certain forms of lymphoma and have a much higher success rate there.

The fun and exciting secret is we don't really have a good sense why they work better there than other places. There's alot of hypothesis, of course, but nothing that's really born out in clinical trials.

my experience is that the closer you get to doctor stuff, you realize that they can do amazing things now but more or less they're like the people who walked into a dark cave with a couple of flashlights and they've just been there for a couple hours longer than you have.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Love to poo poo on a sitting congressman and then praise a horrific dictator

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what did he mean by this

It's what the mob says all the time. He paid someone to rob or attempt to rob the home. It's a threat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks about right

beto getting backed by nothing but whagaburger marketing mid-managers,

Biden dba Joe 30 330, a Delaware corporation being backed by Nichael, a Delaware corporation

Butt getting backing from the South Bend PD

Bollock getting backed by all 4 Montanards

Bernie appealing to the whole dang country like a president should

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i hope chariman kim nukes new york and trump tweets "wow, that was kinda bad, but my friend kim only had the best intentions, I'm sure.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

emfive posted:

my experience is that the closer you get to doctor stuff, you realize that they can do amazing things now but more or less they're like the people who walked into a dark cave with a couple of flashlights and they've just been there for a couple hours longer than you have.

they also have terrible judgement and should hand over most of what they do diagnostically and prescriptively to a computer

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Schnorkles posted:

i can't really get into any specifics because of NDAs and such-not, but we do a lot of data science and analytics support in this field.

there's a whole bunch of angry CEOs telling us to make the numbers say <x> when they really don't say <x>

how many P values have you hacked, plane?

i worked for a dirty PI that absolutely fudged some numbers so he could get publish/apply for grants

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Translator: ...his friend, President Trump!
KJU, blinking away tears: Just friend? Not best friend?
Translator: ...his best friend, President Trump!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I am the Chariman

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

nks saber rattling not gonna work on trump because he decided he fixed the issue by fatting around the border and tweeting

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Once you unlock 40 Pee values, you unlock the Trump admin intern class.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hamelekim posted:

It's what the mob says all the time. He paid someone to rob or attempt to rob the home. It's a threat.

Cummingsgate, no sorry, it doesn't sound quite right.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schnorkles posted:

they also have terrible judgement and should hand over most of what they do diagnostically and prescriptively to a computer

That's almost all human decision making though, and the computers are evil+racist+stupid to an even greater degree

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

emfive posted:

it's conceptually crazy to me how much we've managed to delve into the fundamental physical laws of the universe at extreme high energy states but the human body is still essentially an old timey map with "here be dragons" scrawled down everywhere

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do people like picnics? be honest with me

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

https://twitter.com/ProsinPlanet/status/1157193011538866177

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tacodaemon posted:

that's because you've got Kurtofan's Disease

it's contagious

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Chairizard Kim

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

yeah i’d say i like them alright

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/Gothamist/status/1157308963915993088

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Schnorkles posted:

real talk i work with oncology like every day and all the misinformation about the medicine surrounding cancer and where we are and etc. etc. is very infuriating

thats my story kthx

why are you going around giving people cancer

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

no they're disgusting because bugs get all over the food inevitably

also the ground is literally made of poo poo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1157310102866726914?s=20

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SardonicTyrant posted:

If I could slap any politician I wanted but then I immediately die, I'm doing that slap.

whats the catch

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

oh hello chariman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kurtofan posted:

i love picnics