Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess a good barometer of how well balanced Action Henk is that I beat the final boss by 00.00.01 seconds.

edit, I also like that there's a trophy called RAGE QUIT for alt-f4ing mid-way through a level.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm very late to Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm enjoying the multitude of small details and fun little moments but my overall favourite little thing is Aloy's insane wall jump action. Eat poo poo Skyrim horses, nobody needs you anymore, I can get all the insane hill-hopping I want from my new future caveperson bff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brain In A Jar posted:

I'm very late to Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm enjoying the multitude of small details and fun little moments but my overall favourite little thing is Aloy's insane wall jump action. Eat poo poo Skyrim horses, nobody needs you anymore, I can get all the insane hill-hopping I want from my new future caveperson bff.

As long as there's a little yellow or white splotch on the wall. Otherwise Aloy has no idea what to do with it.

Some kind of conditioning that Rost baked into her growing up, I guess.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Eternal Ring, one of From software's PS2 games from before Dark souls, and I really like the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-T05NVFz1A

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Eternal Ring, one of From software's PS2 games from before Dark souls, and I really like the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-T05NVFz1A

You finally are playing it. I knew what track it would be before I even saw the link.
Good luck, have fun, don't forget to do the locked extra dungeon.

My favorite thing in Eternal Ring was honestly just creating all the different rings and looking at my sparkly achievements.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

As long as there's a little yellow or white splotch on the wall. Otherwise Aloy has no idea what to do with it.

In Mirror's Edge it's stated that an obsession with the color red is a sign that that person is a "runner".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't actively hate the color coding of environments but it feels really childish when compared to games that take the time to craft the lighting to naturally guide you.

Then again, sometimes I'm tired and just want to spin around and spot the closest turquoise ledge or whatever.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 has a new beat-em-up mode which is showcased in the story as Sasuke murdering several rooms worth of innocent samurai.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

I don't actively hate the color coding of environments but it feels really childish when compared to games that take the time to craft the lighting to naturally guide you.

Then again, sometimes I'm tired and just want to spin around and spot the closest turquoise ledge or whatever.

DOOM 2016 does this excellently without pointing anything out. Ledges with red lights can't be climbed onto (usually too far or too high), green ones you can

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's still pointing it out, just in a less jarring way because the entire environment is artificial.

I was never mad about the guided platforming in HZD because the game doesn't treat the question of whether Aloy can make the jump as interesting, it's not supposed to be a challenge. The platforming segments are there mostly to add verticality to the environments which is always appreciated in a game that looks that good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It was stylish in Mirrors Edge, or at least it seemed so at the time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Breath of the Wild has all those games beat since you can climb pretty much over anything.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I thought Shadow of Mordor did climbing pretty well. You can climb and parkour on pretty much anything, including orcs

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

wafflemoose posted:

Breath of the Wild has all those games beat since you can climb pretty much over anything.

I played Breath of the Wild then went back to Horizon and it was eye-opening.
This isn't a knock against Horizon. I mean I don't expect every game to be as open and free with exploration as Breath of the Wild but going from one to the other and not being able to get over a wall or something is really jarring.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Nostradingus posted:

I thought Shadow of Mordor did climbing pretty well. You can climb and parkour on pretty much anything, including orcs

Yeah, works pretty well as long as what's his name you're playing doesn't decide to get glued to a spot (whether on a wall or just on the ground sometimes!) and refuse to budge while a horde of orcs throws axes at you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The slow, deliberate animation and rumbling when you open a big barred door and create a new shortcut in Sekiro is nicely dramatic.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

DOOM 2016 does this excellently without pointing anything out. Ledges with red lights can't be climbed onto (usually too far or too high), green ones you can

I was actually thinking about DOOM as a good example. It's pretty obvious but makes sense for the industrial/scientific theme.

I think my favorite was probably Left 4 Dead. While the levels are basically fancy hallways, the lighting always shows you where the next objective is. Since it's easy to get turned around during a rush, they did an excellent job of designing the lights to be easy to spot and they send a clear message while also looking natural.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Final Fantasy 15 is pretty cool, one of the smallest thing I loved about the game is that one of your buddies cooks for the group when camping out and they look really good. The small thing about it though is that he gets ideas for new recipes when you eat at restaurants but he doesn't just copy what he just ate, the food he makes is named different and looks different from what they ate before. So it feels like he's making these new recipes as improvements or changes instead of just copy/pasting what was at the restaurants.

Also like I said before the food looks pretty great

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh dip, I thought those were real.

It's like when an anime movie obviously spent three months on one food preparation scene. It's my favorite part.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's amazing how well rendered the food in that game is. And now I'm hungry. :sigh:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

wafflemoose posted:

It's amazing how well rendered the food in that game is. And now I'm hungry. :sigh:

It's strange to me that there isn't an uncanny valley for food. Like the line for 'artificial but still delicious looking' is definitely more on the artificial side.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jumping and climbing is important in combat in DOOM and while combat overall may not be more fast-paced, your movement and POV goes faster than in HZD so having an instantly-identifiable GREEN MEANS GO even if blurred in your peripheral vision is aces.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The one that made me giggle everytime I saw it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TontoCorazon posted:

Common tactic for a menu to add more adjectives to make a dish sound better.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I like when you finish the Cup Noodle quest and says he’s learned a new recipe, which it turns out is just heating up a Cup Noodle.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

wafflemoose posted:

The egg dish has jiggle physics on the yolk

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Calaveron posted:

The egg dish has jiggle physics on the yolk

But what about the vagina bones?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

This ain't your grandmas toast

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

I like when you finish the Cup Noodle quest and says he’s learned a new recipe, which it turns out is just heating up a Cup Noodle.

He also very loudly and very smugly declares that he’s come up with a new recipe every time he reads one in a cookbook

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I love that they had the attention to detail to include crumbs and spots of sauce and grease in the dish—that really goes a long way to making it not look artificial.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

He also very loudly and very smugly declares that he’s come up with a new recipe every time he reads one in a cookbook

During one of the event things that happened, Noctis was off on his own at a festival thingie, and when Noct learned a new recipe, he'd do an absolutely terrible impression of that line.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

That entire quest is one of my favorite things in XV. One of the English voice actors (I think Noctis') straight up admitted they did two takes of the quest. One where they acted it straight faced. And one where they are very clearly aware of how stupid the whole thing is. And it's preeeetty obvious which one they used in the game.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I love that they had the attention to detail to include crumbs and spots of sauce and grease in the dish—that really goes a long way to making it not look artificial.

Yeah and condensation on the plates too.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That entire quest is one of my favorite things in XV. One of the English voice actors (I think Noctis') straight up admitted they did two takes of the quest. One where they acted it straight faced. And one where they are very clearly aware of how stupid the whole thing is. And it's preeeetty obvious which one they used in the game.

It starts off with Gladio sounding exactly like a nissin cup noodle commercial and its downright hilarious. Like he literally stops you and starts talking about the virtues of cup noodles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PN8pzSn2Q

Edit: Also the fact that you have a friend who can cook 5 star meals and you have him cook some cup noodles.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Aug 2, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

Can you also get four fried chickens and a coke?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

How did I not pick up on this?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Beachcomber posted:

How did I not pick up on this?

Something else I caught was the first time you fight Imps, they start climbing poo poo to get away from you, prompting you to instinctively try to climb the ledge to give chase, that game has some amazing design

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I also seemed to notice that sometimes a ledge slathered with blood meant it could lead somewhere? But I might have just imagined it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Hell levels don't have the green railing lights, but they come late enough in the game that you've almost certainly figured out the limits of your jumping and climbing so you don't need the helping hand anymore. DOOM 2016 is just really well designed.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I also seemed to notice that sometimes a ledge slathered with blood meant it could lead somewhere? But I might have just imagined it.

Those ones tend to lead to secrets, since they don't stand out as much as a big green light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phy posted:

Can you also get four fried chickens and a coke?
Final Fantasy is an RPG
Find out what it means to me