Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017
I finished the Botania path in Break Out, and was going to go towards the end game, but I saw it was basically just going to be a bunch of different grinds for expensive materials and was like "ehhh..." so I decided to check out some other mod packs. After bouncing off of a few, I tried Ultimate Alchemy after seeing it mentioned quite positively by the thread and am having a lot of fun so far. The ability to fly and the non-scarcity of basic materials means I actually wanted to try and have a base that was both nice looking and functional, so I decided to try out the chisel... which proceeded to crash my game when I put a stack of planks in the GUI and picked an option. I restarted the game, did the exact same thing... and it didn't crash! Since it wasn't reproducible, I'm not really sure what happened there. It might have been a bizarre transient effect from another mod, or just Java being Java. I can't seem to find the error log (it might have been overwritten when I restarted the game) but hopefully it won't happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Tubular Bells posted:

I finished the Botania path in Break Out, and was going to go towards the end game, but I saw it was basically just going to be a bunch of different grinds for expensive materials and was like "ehhh..." so I decided to check out some other mod packs. After bouncing off of a few, I tried Ultimate Alchemy after seeing it mentioned quite positively by the thread and am having a lot of fun so far. The ability to fly and the non-scarcity of basic materials means I actually wanted to try and have a base that was both nice looking and functional, so I decided to try out the chisel... which proceeded to crash my game when I put a stack of planks in the GUI and picked an option. I restarted the game, did the exact same thing... and it didn't crash! Since it wasn't reproducible, I'm not really sure what happened there. It might have been a bizarre transient effect from another mod, or just Java being Java. I can't seem to find the error log (it might have been overwritten when I restarted the game) but hopefully it won't happen again.
Ultimate Alchemy is an absolute blast to play because it doesn't disrespect your time like most skyblocks. None of that two hours of sieving before you can do anything fun. Automate absolutely every resource you can. You can make as many wood/cobble/smoothstone barrels as you want so go crazy

I made it as far as creating the dragon head to open up draconic awakening.... But if I remember my math you need like four thousand diamonds to make the fusion altar for the clay, so I called it a win and moved on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Ultimate Alchemy is an absolute blast to play because it doesn't disrespect your time like most skyblocks. None of that two hours of sieving before you can do anything fun. Automate absolutely every resource you can. You can make as many wood/cobble/smoothstone barrels as you want so go crazy

I made it as far as creating the dragon head to open up draconic awakening.... But if I remember my math you need like four thousand diamonds to make the fusion altar for the clay, so I called it a win and moved on.

IIRC there is an alternate recipe at one point that requires less diamonds, but uses more of some other material. Also the diamonds aren't *quite* as bad as you'd think. The main chokepoint is power. Arc furnaces can run very very quickly.

Granted, I'm not really sure what the best option is for power. Overclocked generators are the simplest method, since those can run off of infinite log barrels with translocators.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Are there any good guided magic-focused packs for 1.12? I'm trying out Magiculture 2 and it's pretty good, but I'm really not a fan of the expanded survival aspects.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

McFrugal posted:

IIRC there is an alternate recipe at one point that requires less diamonds, but uses more of some other material. Also the diamonds aren't *quite* as bad as you'd think. The main chokepoint is power. Arc furnaces can run very very quickly.

Granted, I'm not really sure what the best option is for power. Overclocked generators are the simplest method, since those can run off of infinite log barrels with translocators.

What I found was the problem was coal to make the diamonds since it's a stack each and your only two options are a giant cube of IE come ovens or duping with botania, which eats like a full Mana pool for a couple stacks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

What I found was the problem was coal to make the diamonds since it's a stack each and your only two options are a giant cube of IE come ovens or duping with botania, which eats like a full Mana pool for a couple stacks.

Coke ovens work fine. Accelerate them with time wands aimed at ender porcupines targeting the inaccessible block inside the cube, that's the only one that ticks. Once properly accelerated the choke point becomes charcoal production, which you can also accelerate, and then you need power again.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017
I was playing more Ultimate Alchemy, and when I tried placing a Mechanical Crafter and putting in a recipe, it wasn't recognizing it as being valid, even though I knew for a fact it was. When I went to check the other Mechanical Crafters I had going, they had also stopped recognizing recipes, even though they had been previously working and I hadn't changed them at all. This was the case for both modded recipes and vanilla ones. Doing a hard restart of Minecraft didn't seem to fix the issue. This is kind of a bummer because it's probably the most fun I've had with Minecraft so far, and I'd hate to have to start everything over because of this bug.

E: I restarted the game, made a new map, and saw that it was working there. I then hopped back over to my world, where they were still broken. This may be an issue with me having too many Mechanical Crafters active in the world at once?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

a giant cube of IE come ovens

good god what mod is this

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I feel better that others are frustrated with the Ender IO changes. I just found them very unintuitive. I would have preferred intermediate crafting steps to lighting bedrock on fire, as just once example.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

good god what mod is this

Probably the same one that has the gimp masks?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel better that others are frustrated with the Ender IO changes. I just found them very unintuitive. I would have preferred intermediate crafting steps to lighting bedrock on fire, as just once example.

It's a stupid meme change that somehow became official. I still don't understand why it was kept. I prefer the 1.7.10 version of EIO and I doubt I'll ever use the infinity whatever version.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017
Since I didn't feel up to restarting Ultimate Alchemy at the moment, I decided to go looking for interesting looking mod packs by sorting by Last Updated and downloading anything that caught my eye. The first one I tried out was called Glacial Awakening, and while I don't have a strong basis for comparing mod packs, it seems decent enough so far. You start off trapped inside of a glacier, and have to claw your way up to the surface, which is an endless Ice Spikes biome. It's more focused on magic/natural resources type mods (which is a nice change of pace for me since I've only really done tech mods up until now). Since everything is cold, I've been having to deal with issues that you wouldn't really see in other packs, such as making sure outdoor pools of water don't freeze (important, given that water blocks are used for a lot of things in the pack).
On the other hand, I have seen AE2 recipes and poo poo in JEI, so I'm not entirely sure where this pack might be going.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively, you can use item pipes to suck out inventories and output into an ME interface block, which doesn't have a bandwidth limit like an Import Bus does. It will handle any number of items simultaneously.

This is generally how my machine room gets its results back into my network, particularly when playing with channels on.

Yeah, even in omnifactory (which has channels turned off thankfully) I use that. Though if you have a lot of stuff feeding a "finished product" chest at once you'll want to slap some speed upgrades on the export bus sucking it dry. Seriously, normally I love channels and fiddling with them in AE2 but that would be one step too far in Omnifactory even for me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, Volcano Block/Soulus question. The gently caress is existential essence for? These loving ingame manuals from this mod author are almost useless if you don't craft things in the order the mod author wants you to, and there's no outside documentation somehow.
Plus, even WITH unlocked documentation about soul books and the spawner, I don't know how essence factors into it. I can apparently insert a partially-filled soul book into the spawner, but what difference does that make?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't know exactly how it works/where it comes from and why it has those odd, seemingly random colors or why it can be crafted together. But if you use it on a spawner it'll supercharge it for a few seconds, causing it to fill up really quickly and pump out a ton of monsters with every spawn.
Not really that useful when Volcano Block gives you so many spawn-enhancers to start.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I've played a bunch of Sky Factory for the first time this past couple weeks. I am by no means done but there are a couple issues I have with it. 1: The guidance is a bit too light, so I never have a good idea what advancements I should be going for next or if there is a better way of doing something I'm already doing (or a better device to build, the pack has a few clashing mods) and 2: There isn't quite enough automation (or obviousness to the automation) to make it really feel like a factory as much as, say, FortressCraft: Evolved, Factory, or Satisfactory. I was wondering if there's a known-better factory-like mod out there I should be giving a try or a mod that makes the advancements in Sky Factory more obvious and incremental. Transportation belts a plus.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you're talking Sky Factory 4 yeah, it's not really a good demonstration of the logistical puzzle you're aiming for + guidance to get there. It feels like it was designed for people to stream and "complete" in a reasonable amount of time.

It does have the Industrial Foregoing mod with conveyor belts for item transportation if you want to scope that out a bit. There's also Thermal Foundation's itemducts and servos to extract items from the inventories of other blocks. Another option not in that modpack is Immersive Engineering which has its own version of conveyor belts and more steampunk and industrial revolutiony than the rest.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 2, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you want to do massive automation factories then Project Ozone 3 would be much better than SF4. Another option if you don't mind older packs is the predecessor Project Ozone 2 on Titan or Kappa mode which really stress massive amounts of automation and throughput.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rynoto posted:

If you want to do massive automation factories then Project Ozone 3 would be much better than SF4. Another option if you don't mind older packs is the predecessor Project Ozone 2 on Titan or Kappa mode which really stress massive amounts of automation and throughput.
Thank you very much! I'll give that a look.
Edit: Aww, having a crafting table on a stick and clicking something in the Better Questing book doesn't bring up the + button so I can just craft this poo poo immediately. Any way to enable that? At least in SF4 I could click stuff in advancements and it'd bring up the proper crafting table interface, + button and all.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 2, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I once played a modpack (that I cannot recall anymore as it was a few years ago) that had battery powered tools. For exampe you could build a pickaxe that you had to charge up as the durability and you could build a big drilling hammer too with the same thing. And that hammer could either mine in a 3x3 square or if you wanted to drain the power quicker 5x5.

I grabbed the Tinker's Modpack thinking it was one of those but it does not seem so. Could anyone help me recall what it might have been? I loved boring huge railway tunnels and not having to worry about durability was fantastic!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I once played a modpack (that I cannot recall anymore as it was a few years ago) that had battery powered tools. For exampe you could build a pickaxe that you had to charge up as the durability and you could build a big drilling hammer too with the same thing. And that hammer could either mine in a 3x3 square or if you wanted to drain the power quicker 5x5.

I grabbed the Tinker's Modpack thinking it was one of those but it does not seem so. Could anyone help me recall what it might have been? I loved boring huge railway tunnels and not having to worry about durability was fantastic!

There's a few mods like this.
I tend to like using the drill from actually additions, but there's also a similar tool in immersive engineering, and I think there may be one in one of the thermal expansion mods.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VideoGames posted:

Ticon tools can have battery powered tools if mixed with the right mods.

There's also RF Arsenal which gets obscene (Powered bow with power quiver means you're basically firing cluster grenades). Actually Additions has a drill as well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mehall posted:

There's a few mods like this.
I tend to like using the drill from actually additions, but there's also a similar tool in immersive engineering, and I think there may be one in one of the thermal expansion mods.

Alkydere posted:

Ticon tools can have battery powered tools if mixed with the right mods.

There's also RF Arsenal which gets obscene (Powered bow with power quiver means you're basically firing cluster grenades). Actually Additions has a drill as well.

OK! thank you. so far it looks like a mix of RF Arsenal and Thermal Expansion, but the actual hammer tool does not appear to be part of either. The big flux capacitor battery is what I definitely used. I wonder if the hammer you make using the smelter in Tinker's Contruct when modded with RF Arsenal and Thermal Expansion is what I was using?

Gah. I would use one of the modpacks again, but they have 160+ mods usually, take ages to load and I end up only using 10 of the mods. If I knew how to add mods to Tinker's Modpack that would be great. I might try learning how to splice!

Thank you both for helping!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

OK! thank you. so far it looks like a mix of RF Arsenal and Thermal Expansion, but the actual hammer tool does not appear to be part of either. The big flux capacitor battery is what I definitely used. I wonder if the hammer you make using the smelter in Tinker's Contruct when modded with RF Arsenal and Thermal Expansion is what I was using?

Gah. I would use one of the modpacks again, but they have 160+ mods usually, take ages to load and I end up only using 10 of the mods. If I knew how to add mods to Tinker's Modpack that would be great. I might try learning how to splice!

Thank you both for helping!

How do you get your modpacks? It's a piece of piss to add extra mods to a modpack on the twitch launcher, I can show you on discord this evening if you like.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mehall posted:

How do you get your modpacks? It's a piece of piss to add extra mods to a modpack on the twitch launcher, I can show you on discord this evening if you like.

I had tried various things (as it was so long since I last did it) last night. I remember having a program that looked orange but could not recall. Then I tried technic launcher as well as the standard minecraft launcher (I do not remember that one!) then I went with Twitch as when I tried searching for mods most took me to a twitch website and I thought if I ever get it sorted I could always do silly streaming alongside my ridiculous need to make caverns pretty :)

If you would assist that would be amazing and I will try to be online to grab a few pointers after I have finished work today :D

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I had tried various things (as it was so long since I last did it) last night. I remember having a program that looked orange but could not recall. Then I tried technic launcher as well as the standard minecraft launcher (I do not remember that one!) then I went with Twitch as when I tried searching for mods most took me to a twitch website and I thought if I ever get it sorted I could always do silly streaming alongside my ridiculous need to make caverns pretty :)

If you would assist that would be amazing and I will try to be online to grab a few pointers after I have finished work today :D

I should be about most of the weekend, we'll work it out at some point.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Are there any decent/recommended modpacks that have a focus on combat and do it decently? I've given the Dimension Zero pack a try and I'm still trying to make Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons work for me. Dimension Zero seems to have some sort of tower defense thing going on, which might be fun, but it seems really hard to get started when all the caves are filled with super skeletons that one-shot kill. The other is almost the same, there's some neat dungeons that I'd like to run around and clear through, but haven't figured out the weapons and armor mod it uses.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
My own current obsession, Dungeons, Dragons and Space Shuttles is very much a Hexxit style combat pack where dungeoning and raiding structures is a core part of the pack and even required for some materials. Still also requires base building and defending though so not pure combat by any stretch.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Has anyone tried Astroblock?

If yes: Jesus god how is early mining supposed to work with anything approaching efficiency? I've found exactly one (1) ore block inside an asteroid so far aside from the occasional single ore in the single blocks floating around everywhere.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Now that thanks to Mehall :D I have my very own solo little modpack going, I wonder if anyone can help me figure out something.

Is there a specific way to get an arboreal extractor working on a tree if the dynamic trees mod is installed? (I duplicated my profile and removed Dynamic trees from the loadout and it worked as soon as I walked twenty minutes away due to all the dynamic trees being disappeared and having to generate new ones).

I really like the look of dynamic trees but placing the arboreal extractor at the base does nothing. I am assuming there is a step I am missing when using these two mods together. If not, then I can remove the mod but my starting area and almost a ten minute radius around it suddenly becomes bare. :(

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

VideoGames posted:

Now that thanks to Mehall :D I have my very own solo little modpack going, I wonder if anyone can help me figure out something.

Is there a specific way to get an arboreal extractor working on a tree if the dynamic trees mod is installed? (I duplicated my profile and removed Dynamic trees from the loadout and it worked as soon as I walked twenty minutes away due to all the dynamic trees being disappeared and having to generate new ones).

I really like the look of dynamic trees but placing the arboreal extractor at the base does nothing. I am assuming there is a step I am missing when using these two mods together. If not, then I can remove the mod but my starting area and almost a ten minute radius around it suddenly becomes bare. :(

The arboreal extractor is very specific about what trees it works with if i recall correctly.
Like no trees grown underground, different trees give different things.
Must be grown and not just logs put down with leaves added.
I'm assuming its not seeing modded trees as real trees.

E: I may be wrong. it looks like trees may be created if the leaves are transported correctly?
ie silk touching them removes their decay data.
use some kind of moving wand, but that of course means adding another mod with that in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/7tbeo4/te_arboreal_extractor_what_constitutes_a_tree/

This is the mod mentioned in that reddit link that can move leaves.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/not-enough-wands

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 3, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The arboreal extractor only works with vanilla trees and tree-like objects. A config change (or probably a craft tweaker script) would be necessary to get it to work with modded trees.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you for the assist OgNar.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The arboreal extractor only works with vanilla trees and tree-like objects. A config change (or probably a craft tweaker script) would be necessary to get it to work with modded trees.

And thank you as well Gywneth Palpate. It looks like this is completely beyond my knowledge, so it will be a case of going to the duplicate profile, removing dynamic trees and then a long time of collecting saplings and planting them. Yikes!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

can anyone recommend a general set of mods for me and my friends' desires? we don't want to do any of the technology or engineering/industrial revolving stuff and prefer more fantasy. we also like exploring and finding cool structures (pixelmon's pregen'd gyms were excellent for this but unfortunately it fails in several other aspects), we sussed out millenaire as a pretty good option for this, do any other modpacks build upon those ideas a lot?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

For magic, thaumcraft and blood magic are both staples. Thaumcraft is built around its own special research mechanic that's pretty neat the first time you're exploring it, and blood magic is built around sacrificing other beings for power. Astral Sorcery is a newer one that also adds shrines and temples throughout the world for you to find and loot. Botania is another staple that's built around a set of simple tools you can combine together to do cool things.

For structures, Recurrent Complex is a flexible one that adds all kinds of ruins and other things throughout the world. There's also Roguelike Dungeons if you want to do a deep dive into a single structure full of loot and upgraded mobs.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Most of the aforementioned magic mods are good, with one caveat: if you're obsessive about making builds and buildings for all your things, Thaumcraft and Blood Magic are both great for big thematic builds, but Astral Sorcery, with it's open air mandate and very large multiblock structures, might drive you mad. It has surely driven me insane in my quest to make things aesthetically pleasing.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Most of the aforementioned magic mods are good, with one caveat: if you're obsessive about making builds and buildings for all your things, Thaumcraft and Blood Magic are both great for big thematic builds, but Astral Sorcery, with it's open air mandate and very large multiblock structures, might drive you mad. It has surely driven me insane in my quest to make things aesthetically pleasing.

(1) Blood Magic's altars are bigger and uglier than Astral Sorcery's, they just don't have to be outside. (2) You quickly get access to a relay mechanic in AS that allows you to move most things indoors.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

My bigger problem with Astral Sorcery is how much loving marble you need. The shrines help but not really enough.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

(1) Blood Magic's altars are bigger and uglier than Astral Sorcery's, they just don't have to be outside. (2) You quickly get access to a relay mechanic in AS that allows you to move most things indoors.

Yeah but I can still work with and around the altars aesthetically, whereas with Astral Sorcery the only real "build" you end up with is "outdoor ruins" and you can only do that so many times in so many places. The only time I've done a full AS build I was happy with was when I just went into creative and made big floating islands to put them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
What mod pack had you re claiming a world that was filled with cursed blocks? And you had to plant flowers to clear them.