Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 23: 1043 to 1050 - Tsenmo Purgyal Shonnu II

Letter from Purgyal Ngawang to Purgyal Shonnu, 10XX

To Tsenmo Shonnu, the usurper, daughter of Dagmo the Hammer:

From Purgyal Ngawang, your sister, also of noble birth but having resided too long in Yopurga:

When I was a younger woman, I spent my life in faithful obedience to our mother the late empress, and her endeavors in guaranteeing the safety of our homeland. Like all other good people of the realm, I was angered and shocked by the horrible news of her sudden death, and I vowed to have my revenge upon the cowards and dishonorable vermin who have committed it.

My first assumption was that it was the cabal of nobles that had gathered around the Tsumo of Ferghana, Phagpa.

The rest of the world knew he was incompetent, gouty, and lazy, and easily steered away by others, and he was an easy prop for deceitful and rebellious individuals to use to set up a claim to claim power.

It was soon apparent to all that the unity of the kingdom was threatened by a series of conspiracies,

And those who would challenge the rightful authority of the sacred hierarchy.

While on the other hand, the great empire of the Mongols grew and prospered.

The great Khutula Khan had established himself as the rightful heir to his eminent mother.

His vassals respect our traditions and our faith. They are like us, my sister.

His empire stretches to the very edges of the earth. They are backed by divine power.

Yet Tibet grew weak with infighting. The vassal kings fought each other, fruitless and for nothing but petty gain. Their wars benefit no one.

And in the worst act of negligence, you did nothing to combat the rebellion which broke out against you.

The lands of the Oxus, Kashmir, and Bihar all rose in rebellion against you.

That is why I felt compelled to raise my army and restore order, my sister. For you were the one who has slain our dear mother, and your incompetence and lack of moral character has led the kingdom to its disorder.

While you raised your army and set out from Lhasa,

The forces of the great khan moved against the rebel prince Phagpa. While we cannot recognize your false authority and forgive your heinous acts, my sister, the Mongols have taught me that rebellion and disloyalty were an unforgivable sin. So Phagpa and his conspirators must die.

So we agree on that - you punish those who commit evil, as such they certainly are.

There are very few empresses in hell because there are very few empresses.

But if there were many emperors and empresses, very few would go to paradise and enjoy the peace that Gyalyum and Tse enjoy forever.

You all do thirst for human blood.

But I do not marvel at you nor can I hold you in high esteem.

While you struggle to win with one battle and defeat one army,

We brush aside entire kingdoms with a movement of the hand.

While you dither and hesitate over how to defeat one enemy,

My army draws closer,

and with our right judgment and right cause, we cannot be defeated.

You, in your amorality and delusion, believe that you were responsible for the defeat of the traitor Tsunmo Phagpa.

You with your complacency believe that you can win with no moral backing, as your army withers away in the mountains

We have decided the outcome of the war. Phagpa is no more. His kingdom has fallen to us. Bukhara, Samarkand, all the lands around the Amu Darya have fallen.

So now part of our armies head west.

Is it any wonder then, that our foe, the Pratiharas, have submitted to us?

I in my mercy have not ordered a general slaughter in Lhasa.

The armies you had raised and brought over from the former rebels went against me, and I have slaughtered them all. You are dying now.

I have installed order where there was only disorder and cruelty, and I have saved Tibet from a worse fate. Imagine what would have happened what all of the Mongolian armies fought against you.

I will rebuild Lhasa, whereas if I was not here, it would be gone.

You, in your arrogance, continue to resist the forces of righteousness.

This is my warning to you and all those who continue to fight alongside you in their delusion.

I fight until death against you for your evil.

Purgyal Ngawang, the Wanderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
...Well, that went in an unexpected direction.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Did you change characters after losing the invasion?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't follow what just happened.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Bloodly posted:

Shonnu became empress after murdering the last one, Dagmo, then a vassal started a civil war to put himself on the throne. He got attacked by the Mongols and lost a lot of land. After that her sister Ngawang started another civil war for the throne, and won.

That's what I think happened, anyway.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ngawang invaded as an adventurer host, so it wasn’t quite a civil war.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, can someone clarify if we are playing as Ngawang now?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The escape from the mongols by invading India plan seems to have ground to a halt now that all of India and Persia have vasalizdd to China

How would any of this work logistically

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They're not vassalized to china, they''re tributaries: they pay some of their tax to them and can get chinese reinforcements if attacked.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

habeasdorkus posted:

Yes.

Bloodly posted:

A lot happened in this one, and I think I did not explain it clearly.

Ngawang, who is married to the grandson of the deceased Mongolian Khatun and has fled to the Mongolian Empire, invades Tibet on the pretext that Shonnu, the current empress, murdered their mother, Dagmo. Around the same time, a rebel faction revolts, planning on installing Phagpa of Fergana on the throne of the Tibetan Empire. The Mongols invade him, taking all of Fergana and all Tibetan holdings in Transoxiana and delanding him, ending the revolt. Phagpa dies soon after.

Shonnu's army, which is weakened by attrition and after several successful battles against the rebels, does not get back to Lhasa in time to break Ngawang's sieges and she loses the war to them. Ngawang takes all the titles she has claims on, including the Empire of Tibet. I switch to her, as she is now the ruler of Tibet from the Purgyal line. Shonnu has a single county left in the far west, which I try and revoke. She revolts, loses, and is imprisoned.

I switched to Ngawang because Shonnu has no living heirs (daughter died) and was more likely to lose her land by revocation and end the game anyway. Ngawang, being deceitful, cruel, and ambitious, would take what's left of her sister's land. She is also what we might call an unreliable narrator.

Snipee posted:

Yeah, can someone clarify if we are playing as Ngawang now?
Yes, we are.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ngawang invaded as an adventurer host, so it wasn’t quite a civil war.
Correct - we just had a civil war and an adventurer at the same time.

i81icu812 posted:

The escape from the mongols by invading India plan seems to have ground to a halt now that all of India and Persia have vasalizdd to China

How would any of this work logistically

The Pratiharas are tributaries of the Mongols in the Yuan Dynasty, not the 'Mongolian Empire' proper. A big kingdom in Persia is still independent. I will expand on this more in the 1050 state of the world update, which also includes more of Europe.

The current Empress of Tibet is married to a relative of the current Khan but I have no idea what will happen after this marriage ends for whatever reason.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
This all sounds like our obvious route from here is to arrange to inherit the Mongol Empire.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
This is going to be fun. A cruel, ambitious, and deceitful ruler who has every reason to inherit the Mongol Empire or at least to pass it on to her children? We can ascend to great heights here and fall even further :getin:.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Interesting. I wonder what Southeast Asia would be like?

Jurchens -> China may have sent Chinese influence south?
Tibetans -> India may sent Hindu or Buddhist influence east?
Mongals -> Tibet may have done the same?

Indian, Han and now Tibetan quarreling over the peninsula and islands or tolerating each other and coalescing into a single queendom? :swoon:

Or maybe the Bantu took Arab or Polynesian ships and made their way further east :black101:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
State of the World: 1050

The first half of the eleventh century was a period of intensive upheaval. In the far east of the Eurasian continent, the Mongols had overthrown the Later Han dynasty and established their own rule in China, while in the western part of their empire they had crossed the Volga river and were looking to extend their conquests further west. In Western Europe, the 'Great Western Invaders', as they were called, had occupied Ireland, England, France, Aquitaine, parts of Umayyad Iberia, most of the Italian peninsula, and many of the German polities east of the Rhine. They had also held northern Africa as far east as Tunis, but due to a desperate and heroic effort by the Berbers, the Abbasids, and the Sunni Caliphate, they were pushed back and a buffer kingdom was established and held by the Berber peoples.

With the exception of the Later Han, Tibet, and the Umayyads, however, it should be noted that most of the larger empires already on the map have not been in a direct war with either of the most prominent invaders. Therefore, it remains uncertain if they were unable to survive should an invasion take place.

The Emperor, personal name Bugunutei, the fifth son of the great Temulun Khatun rules the easternmost conquests and continues to dream of further conquests and glory. Perhaps he would strike against the Pagan Kingdom, or the Lý dynasty, or even the kingdom of Goryeo, or perhaps further east or south.

The youngest son of the great Khatun, Khutula Khan, feels assured in his own greatness. He leads a campaign across the Volga against the Khazars and then to the lands beyond.

The LIAR! rightful Tsenmo MURDERER!, Purgyal Ngawang of Tibet, has wrested control of Tibet from a crowded field of usurpers. She has a strategic marriage to a Mongolian prince and hopes to maintain her kingdom's independence or recover territory where possible.

The Samrajini Mahidevi 'the tenacious' has maneuvered the Pratihara kingdom into a negotiated tributary status with the Mongol Yuan Dynasty. Continued tribute would ideally be enough to prevent the Mongols from invading, and act as a deterrent to prevent further Tibetan aggression. The kingdom is also slightly in debt but is expected to make due before the end of the year.

The Maharani Arzamidokht has wrested the independence of the lands around the Indus River in 1035, and she has fought vigorously to keep them free from Pratihara domination for the past fifteen years. However, the future of her kingdom looks desperate and uncertain. Her mind is going from syphilis. Her older son is a gluttonous lout, and her second son, a genius, is also sterile and so the line ends with him.

The Maharani Bibibai of Orissa, or what's left of it, makes peace with her gods.

The Maharaja of Kannada, the first on the subcontinent to offer tribute to the Yuan, has completely lost control of his senses. Some vassal lords of the Tamil queen that surround him are picking off parts of his kingdom, and he is incapable of mustering a coherent defense.

The Tamil queen in the south dabbles in commercial relationships with the Pratihara and the Yuan, but her primary concern is invading the island to her south.

Devanakata II 'the Fowler', Maharani for almost forty years, has lost control of the Bridge of Rama and much of the island's west.

The heirs of Khaireddin the Great have built his kingdom into a regional power. Sultana Rasa is a kind and just ruler, having learned much from her esteemed forebearer. She rules everything from Anatolia to the Persian Gulf - which finds her sharing a border with the Pratiharas and not so far from the Mongols.

The Seljuks cling to a few patches of desert and isolated villages east of the Caspian.

The Abbasids have recovered much from a state of almost total disintegration. They retain control of part of the Mediterranean coast, part of the Arabian peninsula, much of Egypt and Sudan, and the southern Mediterranean as far west as Khoms.

To their west, the Hawwara have liberated their lands after six years of occupation by the western invaders. From the island of Corsica in the north, the Sultana Samira has overseen the total recovery of that kingdom and the first substantial victory against the invaders. Small wonder she is known as 'the Tenacious'.

The Sunni caliphate, based in Ikonion, is the ruled by the Banu Hashim, although they have picked up many new and different customs after a series of marriages into a prominent Nubian family. Their discontiguous realm includes a large portion of former Byzantine territory, but also the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

Makarios II 'the Bewitched' comes from an unusually stable dynasty - three rulers have come from the same dynasty, a feat which has not happened in this empire for over two hundred years. While he benefits from the backing of the Orthodox Church and previous peaceful transfers of power, he suffers from overwork and bouts of prolonged melancholy. The Empire has held firm, despite the loss of Anatolia - in fact, it has made progress in campaigns in the Carpathian basin, driving out the Magyars and the Avars.

The crusader state of Jerusalem ruled by the von Berg-Schelklingens was destroyed in the 1030s, and its last queen lives a life of ignominious exile in Badajoz. In 1049, a group of millenarian cultists, who have railed against the corruption, weakness, and venality of the Catholic Church and called for a return to a Christianity of a purer gospel. They have seized Jerusalem, as well as land as far north as Akka and as far south as Al-Khalil.

Oman is ruled by the Azd tribe, as it has been for the better part of three centuries.

The Sultana Hanifa Ziyadid is a kind and scholarly leader, taking after the example of her father.

After centuries, the previous ruling branch of House of Solomon in Ethiopia is no more. Their last queen, Selassie II, died of complications of Gout in 1049. Her successor from a cadet branch, King Berihun, hopes to retain control and to maintain the dignity and legitimacy of this ancient kingdom.

Once we get this far west, however, our knowledge gets a bit spotty, but here is what we have.

Very little is still clear about the invaders, their language, where they come from, or why they have even invaded.

We know little of the conquerer who has led them through victory after victory. What animates them to each further conquest?

The Tibetans have heard rumors of a great church, similar in function and form to their own, but totally powerless against the hordes that have driven them out of their sacred places. This new one is part of an ancient and powerful family, and could indeed have been a wise and diligent ruler if he was born here instead of over there.

The Umayyads were one of the greatest powers in the region before the great invasion, and they are one of the very few that have retained their independence. Though they have lost their former capital in Cordoba, they fight on. The Empress Saaman 'the Butcher', though frail in body, possesses a quick mind and a reputation for brutality.

King Hans von Kempten 'the Usurper', clings to a few towns that were once on the eastern border of his kingdom. He ekes out a living on the edge of poverty.

Queen Zwinislava, to his east, rules a kingdom from a castle near Kraków. She has a reputation for being a good friend to the people she rules over, and fearsome opponent to those would intrude upon her domain.

Pomerania is an unusual kingdom. The ruling family comes from someplace to the distant east, from some distant settlement. The king's immediate subordinates, however, come from the north, and they worship different gods and come from different tribes.

To their north is the King Arni of the House of Bjorn Ironside. Aside from his homeland, he controls several port settlements along the coast of an inner sea, and he has even retained some of his holdings even after the great western invasion.

To his east is the King of Finland, Buðli, son of Queen Elin.

To his south is the boy-king Vsevolod Oksakov, of Novgorod. We know still less of him.

To his south are a lot of small and petty kingdoms, none really worth mentioning. Near the portage between two great rivers, Volga and Don, there are the Khazars. The Mongols are invading them, and they are determined not to go down quietly.

If there is anything you want me to look up, please let me know.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 17, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

So, it's been a while since I played with Sunset Invasion activated. How do the Aztecs generally fair when they invade this early? Is there going to just be a big, pink blob over the western side of the map for the rest of the game or will they eventually fracture and recede?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

So, it's been a while since I played with Sunset Invasion activated. How do the Aztecs generally fair when they invade this early? Is there going to just be a big, pink blob over the western side of the map for the rest of the game or will they eventually fracture and recede?

From my experiences they can go either way, but given that they actually reformed, which I've never seen them do, it's all new territory as far as I'm concerned.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yo what is up with that Caliph. He's what, the results of the Hashis marrying with Greeks then Nubians? Can we get some genealogy and title history?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rody One Half posted:

Yo what is up with that Caliph. He's what, the results of the Hashis marrying with Greeks then Nubians? Can we get some genealogy and title history?
Seconding this. I can see how they end up Greek (converting off Greeks in Anatolia), but they're nowhere near Nubians.

I'm also pulling for plucky little Fraticelli Jerusalem, although the Abassids and Hashimids will surely end them someday.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

QuoProQuid posted:

This is the first time I've seen them invade this early (I've changed the game settings for this LP) and also reform. Who knows?

Rody One Half posted:

The history of the Sunni Caliphate

Caliph Philotheos Hashimid, son of Caliph Ieremais and Sheeftah bint Nasr (r. 1040-?)

Caliph Ieremias 'the Gentle', son of Calipha Epimachosi and Count Gabriel of Hail (r. 1002 to 1040).

Calipha Epimachosi 'the Cruel', daughter of Caliph Marturophoros and High Chiefess Helene of Alodia (r. 982 to 1002)

Caliph Marturophoros 'the Sword of Allah', son of Caliph Gabriel and Yakta (lowborn), (r. 947 to 982). He won the jihad against the Byzzies and became king of Anatolia since 965.

Caliph Gabriel 'the Monster', Emir of Nobatia, son of Duke Musa of Nobatia and Asenet 'the unfaithful', (r. 900 to 947). Restored the Sunni caliphate in 945. The duchy of Nobatia was created by his father, Musa, in 890.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Who are the Red and Blue states in Britain? Looks like it might be two Scandinavians but I'd like to think that Scotland survives around the coast of the Irish Sea.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

FrangibleCover posted:

Who are the Red and Blue states in Britain? Looks like it might be two Scandinavians but I'd like to think that Scotland survives around the coast of the Irish Sea.

The red is Catholic Denmark, the blue is Sweden.

The tiny blue state is Cumberland. That's still run by an Anglo-Saxon who is related to the old kings of East Anglia and the Welsh kings of Powys.

Edit: that black spot in Scotland is the jomsvikings

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 4, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Sounds like Denmark was going for 'The Outside Bet', but the era's wrong.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Sounds like Denmark was going for 'The Outside Bet', but the era's wrong.

The really outside bet then?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I have a hard time imagining the logistics of the India-yuan tributary situation.

How much money can they possibly bribe the yuan to intervene against:

The Iraqi/Persian Muslims half the world away from Beijing
The Tibetans who just beat them in a war and who are in a marriage alliance with the mongol khanate, presumably a relative
The other Mongol khanate

Heck how do they transport the tribute payments?

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 5, 2019

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

i81icu812 posted:

Heck how do they transport the tribute payments?

Very carefully.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Camels. Lots of camels.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Or you know, by ship.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Straits of Malacca must have an insane pirate problem at this time in history.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

habeasdorkus posted:

The Straits of Malacca must have an insane pirate problem at this time in history.

There's an excuse to use Pirate Republics all over the Indonesian islands.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I mean, yeah, it'd be insanely good trade there with the gigantic imperial projects all over the east right now. Not to mention refugees fleeing the incessant wars of conquest from, well, us and the Mongols both.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 24: 1050 to 1059 - Tsenmo Purgyal Ngawang

The following years of Ngawang's administration after the sudden transfer of power were largely peaceful.

The great university of Lhasa, while damaged in the fighting was not a total loss and Ngawang spent considerable efforts to restore it.

The Mongols had left Central Asia far behind and finally defeated the Khazars. They had reached the Dnieper and were soon in a position to threaten the empires of the far west.

Ngawang, now satisfied that they were in no position to bother her, then moved to ensure that her sister would no longer play a role in domestic politics. She also intended to do this without immediate violations of the Great Tibetan Code and to avoid committing any of the great abominations. If she simply disappeared or died of starvation, it was not a murder.

There was also the matter of young Dagmo, her sister's only child. She was a trusting and naive individual, and yet Ngawang was concerned about what should happen should the child discover a need for revenge.

The problem was soon disposed of, with not even a body left behind as evidence. Clean work.

Her first pregnancy was largely uneventful, and she soon bore a son. The birth, however, was unusually difficult, and it was obvious that the baby boy had a damaged leg. So long as he lived.

Ngawang devotes herself to running the empire that she had acquired. It is a business that while filled with intrigue, is also marked by long periods of dullness.

One day, while at dinner, Ngawang is informed that the Yuan have decided to invade one of the few remaining kingdoms in the Indian subcontinent and force them to submit tribute.

The Kingdom of the Tamils is ruled by the Maharani Ammakkanar, who is hard-working but lacks direction or an inclination for strategic thought. She finds herself completely surrounded, without allies.

The news was hard to conceal - Ngawang had been informed after massive ships bearing thousands of troops made their stops near the ports along the Ganges. It was too obvious.

She does what she expects anyone else would do in her stead - cut up a piece of the kingdom for her own.

The forts and towns fall quickly.

A small force is found and surrounded at Sambalpur.

While on campaign, Ngawang is informed that the kingdom has already surrendered to the Yuan and made a declaration of tribute.

Outside of the rump kingdom of Orissa, the kingdom in Sindh, Tibet's own holdings, and the island of Lanka, all of the subcontinent pays tribute to the Mongol emperors of China.

With that news, Ngawang decides she needs to hurry.

The enemy are beaten again, outside of an ancient fort.

After the battle, the Maharani is found and brought to the Tsenmo. She is a defeated woman, and she cannot look her victor in the eye.

"Do you have anything to say?" said Tsenmo Ngawang.

The Maharani asks, "Why did you do this?"

The Tsenmo says, "It is my duty as royalty. You would do the same if you were me."

She is released. Tibet claims another victory.

More titles, honors, glories.

The Mongols appear to be driven back to the Don - the Pechenegs and Khazars, also well accustomed to steppe warfare, are not going quietly.

And there is more news. Khutula Khan has, of his own free will, converted to Islam. He apparently had a fondness for reading books while not on campaign, and he was deeply impressed by the fluid words and sharp intelligence of the imams who had dared approach him in his court. In sight of all, he has testified that there is only one God and that Muhammad is his prophet. This has the potential to deeply alter the balance of world history. The great kingdoms to his south hold their breath and wait.

But to the east, the Tsenmo continues her kingly business.

As it were.

Her oldest son, while still walking with a limp, shows himself to be a perceptive and talkative individual. So long as he lives, Ngawang hopes.

Courtly life goes on the same way. Trading favors.

The slow repetition of daily tasks becomes a burden, and she finds herself feeling lost and dissatisfied with her life.

She pays no attention to the crowds of flatterers.

She orders a new set of imperial regalia instead. Many of the old artifacts were lost after the siege of Lhasa, but at least the old sword of Gyalyum was recovered.

More greedy people.

More revolts.

Some incidents do add color to her day. She is once asked by courtiers about a few naked ascetics who have set up and meditated in the market stalls. She laughs for the first time in months. "If they're still alive after staying outside naked in Lhasa in wintertime, then maybe they're the kind of people we need here."

The Mongols finish their campaign against the peoples near the Urals and then head south to the Caucasus.

Then, out of the blue, she receives notifications from the border forts. The Mongols are coming.

Fifty thousand of them. More than the last time. Led by a new 'protector-general to pacify the west'.

The marriage between her and the Borigin clan was enough to satisfy the one sibling who is out on campaign and apparently the head of the Mongols - but that is not enough. There has been a persistent split between the two brothers over questions of foreign policy, succession law, and share of foreign tribute. Where one considers the Tibetan imperial family part of his own, the other considers them a target.

The Pratiharas and the Seuna Yadava, both loyal tributaries of the Yuan, announce they are fulfilling their commitments and they will send troops to join their superiors' wars, as is their duty.

War on two sides. It is what she would have done.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 6, 2019

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh shiiiiiiit.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

No, my lover’s name is also Borte.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
This will either go well or awful.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 24: 1059 to 1064 - Tsenmo Purgyal Ngawang 'the Sword of Shinje'

From Maharani Ammakkanar of Tamilakam to the Acting Director of the Bureau of Buddhist and Tibetan Affairs:

Sir:

I congratulate you on the start of the campaign and I am pleased to hear news of the successes of the ever-victorious Mongolian army.

My court, the priests, the generals, and the common people alike are all encouraged by the news of your successes in passing through the western gate of the Tang and advancing west and south.

My army, as well as that of the strong-willed Maharaji Dattaji, will advance from the south and liberate cities there. We almost certainly outnumber the armies of the enemy.

I, of course, have every faith in the will of your troops and the confident strategy of your generals, and indeed this scourge will be beaten.

If I might be so adventurous as to offer advice, at least from my own experiences with the Tibetan barbarians, it is this - to keep your army close and to not separate it to take some separate fort or town. We cannot let ourselves be outmaneuvered by them.

For it is in superior numbers that we have our greatest advantage, and we cannot let that be squandered.

I am happy to report that we have already recovered Barasura and Dantewada.

Our allies have moved to the east to Rajamahendravaram, along the Godavari river, and Nandapur to its north.

My own army is set to confront the enemy at Balkonda near the meeting of the Godavari and Maner rivers. This should be a more defensible position.

I await eagerly any news of your campaigns.

We must strike down with the perfidious Tibetans, who have stolen so much from our people. I have heard many heartrending tales from the dispossessed, and I hope that one day we shall push them back into the mountains where they belong. May we meet in Lhasa!

Her Majesty, Maharani Ammakkanar of Tamilakam

From Targhutai, Acting Director of the Bureau of Buddhist and Tibetan Affairs, Protector-General of the Western Pacification to Her Majesty Ammakkanar, rightful queen of the Tamils:

We are grateful for your regular and informative reports.

Our campaign advances south and is in regular contact with the enemy.

The empress is known to command the army in the north.

We have confirmed this for ourselves, and she has been sighted in combat. After she is dead, we will be in a more advantageous situation.

For every setback we experience now, remember that no victory comes without a cost.

Please send a report to me again about the situation with your army. News travels slowly. If we can conceal them, we can send messengers through Tibetan territory. They should be disguised as priests, religious figures, or itinerant beggars. The latter, as we know, are ignored by everyone, and can pass completely unnoticed.

We have destroyed an army near Dengkok, our advance continues south.

I am told that the Tibetans do not take this war entirely seriously - that they waste troops and coin building monuments in Lhasa. With such shortsighted leadership, I feel more confidence that victory against them is possible.

From Maharani Ammakkanar of Tamilakam to the Acting Director of the Bureau of Buddhist and Tibetan Affairs:

Sir:

With bitter sadness, I regret to inform you that our army at Balkonda has been defeated.

I acknowledge the weakness of our troops, especially the itinerant Jurchens that we had hired.

The defeat is serious but not final.

I am encouraged with the news of your southern campaign - we shall press on.

I have heard that the brother of the emperor, lord of ten thousand years, is advancing south - do you think this is a sign that he shall join our campaign? With his army, I believe victory would be certain.

We already hold the advantage, but having his troops would preclude the enemy from any possibility of victory.

I admit I am feeling less confident in the abilities of our compatriots, but more of your troops would assuredly be a force to defeat any foe. It would be an instrument of divine will.

From Targhutai, Acting Director of the Bureau of Buddhist and Tibetan Affairs, Protector-General of the Western Pacification to Her Majesty Ammakkanar, rightful queen of the Tamils:

Thank you for your letter. First, let me dispel some misconceptions: I am not the soldier of Khutula Khan, so I am not privy to his movements or decisions.

That said, a force of ours is heading west.

We are pleased to hear of your rapid advances in the south,

Though I am afraid our advance must be postponed - we've lost track of a scouting force.

Finally, there is an important development that I must inform you of - the late emperor, lord of ten thousand years, has passed on to heaven. His son, Bodonchar, will soon ascend the dragon throne and take a regnal name. I feel that I must inform you that he has taken a deeply pessimistic view of the campaigns - indeed the value of our alliance - and may soon withdraw the troops.

Our force was near the gates of Lhasa, but I had to withdraw it as our supplies for the infantry were threatened. They can't forage. There is not enough grass and pasture up here.

Please inform me of your campaign.

Sir:

I have little success to report here, and I feel despair at our situation. The enemy attack without our foreknowledge, and in overwhelming force.

Our allies are in a state of disarray.

Every day I am informed of new tales of suffering and evil deeds inflicted by them.

I have sent a good general of mine to accompany you along on your campaigns.

I do hope he has arrived safely - the upcountry is treacherous.

I am sorry to hear about the views of the emperor, his majesty, and I deeply apologize for not having done enough to satisfy his just demands. If his brother were able to join us, I believe this war would have gone along a different path.

I am truly exhausted of hearing of these invaders, and I fear for the lives of my compatriots.

I have some comfort - the Pratiharas, once my kingdom's sworn enemy, have sent an army towards the Ganges to combat the Tibetans there.

They should be able to do more but I am at least convinced they are doing something.

Else I don't know what we're going to do.

Signed,
Her Majesty the Maharani

From Targhutai, Acting Director of the Bureau of Buddhist and Tibetan Affairs, Protector-General of the Western Pacification, to Her Majesty Ammakkanar, rightful queen of the Tamils:

You by now have been informed that His Majesty the Lord of Ten Thousand Years is withdrawing the troops. I am sorry to bring you this news if you did not know already. His majesty, I am told, has decided to focus his attention on domestic affairs for the time being.

Do not feel guilt over what you have done or cannot do. Concentrate, build up your forces, maintain your rightful kingship, and make ready for the next war.

Knowing the Tibetans as I do, they will no doubt head for the weakest opponent or the one with the most traitors in their midst.

From Maharani Ammakkanar of Tamilakam to the Samrat Viradeva of the Pratiharas, ruler of all of Rajasthan:

What do you mean you have already ceded the entire territory? Everything up to the Thar? They have a port on the Gulf of Kutch? What have you done?

What's wrong with you? Who the gently caress is Yondagmo the Butcher? How did they take captive the Samrat's family?

Do you know who you remind me of? The king of the Karnatas hires a servant to hold candles for him in the middle of the night so he can see his wife when they gently caress. That's you. You're a loving candlestick. You get hot wax all over you and you just stand there while other people do things.

Do not send a reply.

To Her Majesty Maharani Ammakkanar of Tamilakam, from Lhasa

Your majesty, I have some good news to report at last.

The demon queen Ngawang is suffering from a serious illness and I am told it may be fatal. By the time this correspondence reaches you, she may already be dead.

I am told from a reliable source that it is either parasitic worms or poisoning, and made worse her doctor's incompetence. Either way, it should be some comfort after the evils they have inflicted upon us and so many others.

This should also be interesting news for the Mongolians - I do not know if their alliance will survive her death.

Her husband, I am told, is expected to succeed the khanate to the north after Khutula dies, and he may have designs on controlling a kingdom ruled by his own son. Ngawang's older sister is also still alive, though I do not know if she is in any condition to contest the throne.

All their plans of conquest will be interrupted for some time, and we should have space to recover.

I am your majesty's obedient servant.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 11, 2019

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That was an effective five years. The next three or more may be interesting, though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tibet is a plateau. The Deccan is a plateau. It's just logical that the same ruler should control both.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

Do you know who you remind me of? The king of the Karnatas hires a servant to hold candles for him in the middle of the night so he can see his wife when they gently caress. That's you. You're a loving candlestick. You get hot wax all over you and you just stand there while other people do things.

That's a good insult!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Dalai Lama Dickey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

ModeWondershot posted:

Dalai Lama Dickey?

Dickey!

I've also seen names spelled Dickyi, Dicki, Diki, or Dickie, but also primarily as a feminine name so :shrug:

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 11, 2019