Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

this is a moderate-to-mild summer here in texas. it also hasn't rained a drop in five weeks

i bet the glaciers melting in ten years instead of ten thousand will affect topsoil creation

if alaska and canada are any indication that newly exposed earth will immediately burst into flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

this is a moderate-to-mild summer here in texas. it also hasn't rained a drop in five weeks

All the lakes are going to dry up and then burst into flames.

In 20 years, boring dads will be telling their kids "You know, every single one of the fire lakes in Texas is manmade. The state doesn't have any natural fire lakes."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

All the lakes are going to dry up and then burst into flames.

In 20 years, boring dads will be telling their kids "You know, every single one of the fire lakes in Texas is manmade. The state doesn't have any natural fire lakes."

lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Addamere posted:

if alaska and canada are any indication that newly exposed earth will immediately burst into flames

It's probably better than just releasing preserved ancient plagues from the ice tbh

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It's probably better than just releasing preserved ancient plagues from the ice tbh

Speaking of which, here's an alt-history thread that deals with that very subject, except here it's ancient parasites mixed with nuclear waste to produce a disease that makes you depressed and ready to end your miserable existence on our rapidly-warming hell-earth: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/%CB%9Dyouve-f-ed-up-both-the-boss-and-the-station-%CB%9D.377745/

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't worry, all the coastal cities will be regional Venices soon!

Except Venice which will be Atlantis

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lord of Pie posted:

yeah if you have any desire at all, see it in the next year or two because lol

same goes for new orleans.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Lord of Pie posted:

Will be?
https://twitter.com/Ruptly/status/1057006485077721090

In other entirely unrelated news

https://twitter.com/bchtravel/status/910735362754060288

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Venice

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Speaking of which, here's an alt-history thread that deals with that very subject, except here it's ancient parasites mixed with nuclear waste to produce a disease that makes you depressed and ready to end your miserable existence on our rapidly-warming hell-earth: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/%CB%9Dyouve-f-ed-up-both-the-boss-and-the-station-%CB%9D.377745/

but that's just capitalism

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

chennai still doesn't have enough water; trains are making a four-hour trip every day to bring a trickle in. here's a picture of trucks distributing the water:

here's a recent article/audio piece

chennai's metro population, 8 million, is roughly the size of new york city. chennai's water supply seems to be in four reservoirs with a total of 11,057 million cubic feet of storage (theyre mostly empty right now). new york city's total reservoir storage added up to 43,000 mcft in the '20s and since the '60s has been about 74,000 mcft. that's the difference in infrastructure between a rich country and a poor country, i guess.

edit: there's a wiki page just for this water crisis. it doesn't seem to be getting updated recently

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Aug 3, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oystertoadfish posted:

chennai still doesn't have enough water; trains are making a four-hour trip every day to bring a trickle in. here's a picture of trucks distributing the water:

here's a recent article/audio piece

chennai's metro population, 8 million, is roughly the size of new york city. chennai's water supply seems to be in four reservoirs with a total of 11,057 million cubic feet of storage (theyre mostly empty right now). new york city's total reservoir storage added up to 43,000 mcft in the '20s and since the '60s has been about 74,000 mcft. that's the difference in infrastructure between a rich country and a poor country, i guess.

edit: there's a wiki page just for this water crisis. it doesn't seem to be getting updated recently

ny's water is also piped a hundred miles via aquaduct from a large watershed upstate whereas chennai seems to rely on monsoons coming and raining on chennai to fill their reservoirs.

they could have enough water if they could figure out how to keep sewage out of the nearby rivers that are not currently utilized but that ties into your infrastructure point.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hello funny climate change thread

https://twitter.com/PacificStand/status/1158135524055371776

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Im conservative as gently caress but I find it hilarious to be perceived gay and will go out of my way to make it happen such as jogging in ranger panties. Im not gay but its goddamn hilarious to violate this stupid mentality.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the only research you'd need is to work a service industry job for like a week

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if a municipality that lost in courts to Big Plastic over outright plastic bag ban could mandate that instead they all be hi vis pink (for "making them easier for prisoners to spot while doing cleanups alongside the roads you patriotically sail your f350 along" or something I dunno) chuds would be coming into stores with an arm full of real tree brand camo reusable bags cause they don't want someone thinkin' they're a queer :bahgawd:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

men think wiping their butts is gay and we all will die in camps next to them in swamp rear end conducive conditions

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

soy posted:

Im conservative as gently caress but I find it hilarious to be perceived gay and will go out of my way to make it happen such as jogging in ranger panties. Im not gay but its goddamn hilarious to violate this stupid mentality.

"this mentality is stupid ps NO GAY"

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Real hurthling! posted:

men think wiping their butts is gay and we all will die in camps next to them in swamp rear end conducive conditions

lol oh drat I forgot about that even more simple example in these hell times :supaburn:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Engaging in performative green consumerism is gay af

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

actually re-usable bags are just another way to advertise my personal brand

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

actually re-usable bags are just another way to advertise my personal brand

I have a reusable bag, only I call it a backpack, and I've been using it for a decade since undergrad. :v:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Reusable bags are just one more way to blame the individual consumer on something that the producer did to the earth, to avoid any form of consequences upon producers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Reusable bags are just one more way to blame the individual consumer on something that the producer did to the earth, to avoid any form of consequences upon producers

ya, you should be doing it because it's easy and it just makes sense, not because it's gonna save the world because it's not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

the absolutely tiny fee implemented on standard plastic bags in the UK has led to their use dropping by 90% or so as people moved to reusable bags. A major factor in this was it stopped the supermarkets carrying them as standard

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

ya, you should be doing it because it's easy and it just makes sense, not because it's gonna save the world because it's not

yea, bringing your own bag for things just makes sense especially if you use a backpack or messenger bag or whatever

unless you are buying food by the SUV-load, which many people in the demographic posting here are not because we are poor millennials, your own satchel is plenty

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

i just bring a small wheelbarrow, that way i don't need to use their gross shopping carts either

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i personally bypass all these middlemen and live in an amazon warehouse

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
if tacticlol reusable grocery bags don't already exist one of you should get on that

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I bring a roll of plastic wrap to the store with me and individually wrap all of my grocery articles, before putting them each in their own bags, in order to prevent cross contamination. Then when I get home I just burn the plastic Bing bong

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Addamere posted:

unless you are buying food by the SUV-load, which many people in the demographic posting here are not because we are poor millennials, your own satchel is plenty

I can't put a case of beer in my own satchel though.

power word- Jeb! posted:

if tacticlol reusable grocery bags don't already exist one of you should get on that

They do.

quote:

Similar size to the cloth grocery bags at your grocery store but way cooler. Made of tough 1000 den cordura and give you that tactical look and strength at your hippy grocery store. Get the shocked look from the minivan soccer moms.

Add you're favorite S.O.E. "Made in the MotherFucking USA" patch and add to the shock value.
https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/grocery-bags

ulmont has issued a correction as of 19:04 on Aug 6, 2019

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I always take my reusable bag to the weed store when buying multiple boxes of edibles. People do in fact comment on it, lol. Mostly to say "right on". It is the Seattle area though.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Jose posted:

the absolutely tiny fee implemented on standard plastic bags in the UK has led to their use dropping by 90% or so as people moved to reusable bags. A major factor in this was it stopped the supermarkets carrying them as standard

Okay, does this mean the accelerating climate disaster is fixed now? Or does it mean that individuals will incrementally blame themselves for that just a little more while we do nothing about cruise ships and factories

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my grocery sack is large and powerful and can contain over twice as much stuff as a single plastic bag and is less unwieldy to carry while walking home

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Agronox posted:

i just bring a small wheelbarrow, that way i don't need to use their gross shopping carts either

disposable shopping carts is an amazing idea, as an accelerationist i hope these become reality soon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Okay, does this mean the accelerating climate disaster is fixed now? Or does it mean that individuals will incrementally blame themselves for that just a little more while we do nothing about cruise ships and factories

it was a small change that had a big societal impact. we should do more of them. don't be stupid about this

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Actually I usually walk to the store so I have a large backpack and carry everything on my back

I have to go to the store fairly often because I can't carry that much but it's just another reason to walk, which is good

On the outward journey my backpack is then filled with paper, plastic, and glass which I recycle

I'm just constantly hauling packaging around like a mule

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

Add you're favorite S.O.E. "Made in the MotherFucking USA" patch and add to the shock value.

absolutely pathetic

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

Actually I usually walk to the store so I have a large backpack and carry everything on my back

I have to go to the store fairly often because I can't carry that much but it's just another reason to walk, which is good

On the outward journey my backpack is then filled with paper, plastic, and glass which I recycle

I'm just constantly hauling packaging around like a mule

this is me only i bicycle instead of walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ulmont posted:

Get the shocked look from the minivan soccer moms.

my favorite part is that all these dudes are so desperate for other people to notice how macho they are. like, they can't just avoid stereotypically feminine things for dumb reasons, they ALSO have to broadcast as loudly as possible that they are 100% he-man woman-haters and if people aren't forced to acknowledge that during every casual interaction, they worry that they're *gasp* becoming gay!

also lol at the idea that minivan soccer moms are paying attention to anything outside their kids. getting children to behave for the duration of a grocery shopping trip already occupies all of your sanity and attention; ain't nobody with an actual kid going to spare your macho manly camo bags a single glance