Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Restriction of the transfer of benefits is a retention control issue. If people reach the end of the stick too early and get the carrot then get out, it's a readiness/retention problem. It's the same reason why in a corporate environment with tiered benefits it just so happens that most of the good stuff is conveniently parked past the average expected retention rate for employees.

Like at my company the benefits go wildly up at the 2, 5, and 10 year mark. Average retention for juniors is 1.5 years, 3.5 for mids, and 7 for seniors :thunk:

edit: It should also be noted that due to the sustainable readiness problem we're having a colossal motherfucker of a time with recruitment and retention. Which of course to us is a no-brainer but there's a huge contingent of people at the Pentagon that are confused as to why it's happening.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'd like to see the correlation between recruiting numbers and localities that instituted higher minimum wages, personally.

Serious and widespread economic reform would kneecap the military in terms of recruitment and retention.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

I'd like to see the correlation between recruiting numbers and localities that instituted higher minimum wages, personally.

Serious and widespread economic reform would kneecap the military in terms of recruitment and retention.

Seattle and other places that have a 15 dollar minimum wage have been effectively abandoned as part of the greater national recruitment model.

The fun part is that despite this, recruiting command is still trying to squeeze blood from a stone and pushing their people just as hard if not harder knowing full well it's futile.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

Followup for perspective: https://twitter.com/jmspool/status/1157021965020016640

That's about 0.006% of their annual profits. Truly an undue burden for a struggling mom and pop business such as Dominos.

The accountant in me wants to point out that EBITDA≠Profit.

It's similar to profit but it is not the same thing and is a pedantic thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Recruiting is also getting hosed as people are just too loving unhealthy to enlist because they live in abject poverty.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sacrist65 posted:

I feel like I know what the result will be, but you could try telling him that it was introduced by jim Webb (D-Vietnam) and was originally opposed by the guy selected to replace Bush, John McCain(R-Island owned by lobbyist) because of retention issues it would cause. Which is partially why it sat on the presidents desk for a year.

Oh I did.
"Jim Webb was a Marine bro, just like you, and his son was a Marine too, that's why he wrote and pushed for the bill."
"Nope, Bush!"

I love him to death but he's dumb as poo poo with this stuff sometimes and will also get very :smug: after reading any book (no matter how outdated) because he thinks it makes him more qualified than anyone else to speak on the subject. Because he read a book. One book.

Cognitive dissonance is a motherfucker.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Recruiting is also getting hosed as people are just too loving unhealthy to enlist because they live in abject poverty.

Imagine loving the poors so hard that you can't even use them for military service, which is the major source of enlisted personnel

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah it's a very multi-faceted issue.

But big papa DoD can't control that, so that's why benefits get shuffled around; it's one of the few things they can do to staunch the bleeding ever so slightly.

The big generalizations are that 1) it's getting harder and harder to find qualified applicants, even with reduced standards 2) it's harder and harder to keep people in a healthy/active status due to sustainable readiness and 3) it's getting harder and harder to keep people in because of sustainable readiness (like 90%) and benefits (like 10%)

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Late, but there's a shameful lack of Kelly's Heroes here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

anything that puts your total payments or value into the hands of the free market is a scam

Better deal than taking literally nothing if you get out before 20

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh I did.
"Jim Webb was a Marine bro, just like you, and his son was a Marine too, that's why he wrote and pushed for the bill."
"Nope, Bush!"

I love him to death but he's dumb as poo poo with this stuff sometimes and will also get very :smug: after reading any book (no matter how outdated) because he thinks it makes him more qualified than anyone else to speak on the subject. Because he read a book. One book.

Cognitive dissonance is a motherfucker.

does the book in question start with, "in the beginning god created heaven and the earth"?

I've lost a friend to the fox news/ Ben Shapiro bubble. He is a fireman with alot of free time to consume that poo poo and his brain broke when I said I voted for Hillary. It's all he talked about for like a year and a half . I didn't even like Hillary but that worldview was all consuming to him and i was some sort of enemy now. Its weird

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
What's the waiver situation looking like for recruits who smoke weed? If the feds don't let go of that sooner rather than later, just lol at them trying to hit their numbers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The accountant in me wants to point out that EBITDA≠Profit.

It's similar to profit but it is not the same thing and is a pedantic thing.

It's shorthand for run rate cash flow, which is usually a more meaningful metric for an operating investment decision than net profits.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jfc he actually used lamestream media. This is watching a loving kindergartener insult people

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

A Bad Poster posted:

What's the waiver situation looking like for recruits who smoke weed? If the feds don't let go of that sooner rather than later, just lol at them trying to hit their numbers.

Pretty sure they haven't cared about weed for a while, provided you disclose it and don't have anything criminal. Most SSBIs don't care as long as it's disclosed and not concurrent with service.

Anything harder, yeah, probably not.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Weed use in the government has been an issue on everyone's radar for like five years. Unfortunately the answer has been to largely wait until someone else makes a move so it's been incredibly incremental and patchwork as gently caress. It most likely is going to require executive action (in either direction) so uh, the issue is largely on ice until January 2021 at the earliest.

redneck nazgul posted:

Pretty sure they haven't cared about weed for a while, provided you disclose it and don't have anything criminal. Most SSBIs don't care as long as it's disclosed and not concurrent with service.

Anything harder, yeah, probably not.

DoD has kinda skirted the issue by doing this in the meantime.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

Restriction of the transfer of benefits is a retention control issue. If people reach the end of the stick too early and get the carrot then get out, it's a readiness/retention problem. It's the same reason why in a corporate environment with tiered benefits it just so happens that most of the good stuff is conveniently parked past the average expected retention rate for employees.

Like at my company the benefits go wildly up at the 2, 5, and 10 year mark. Average retention for juniors is 1.5 years, 3.5 for mids, and 7 for seniors :thunk:

edit: It should also be noted that due to the sustainable readiness problem we're having a colossal motherfucker of a time with recruitment and retention. Which of course to us is a no-brainer but there's a huge contingent of people at the Pentagon that are confused as to why it's happening.

The retention issue was addressed by requiring you to do an addition 4 years after signing the transfer of benefits.
Last year's change where you couldn't transfer benefits if you were unable to do 4 more years due to HYT is just bullshit. Are you in a rate/MOS with lovely advancement odds? gently caress you, you don't get the choice to use this benefit you were promised even if you want to.
That change has nothing to do with retention because it's denying the benefit to people who the military is choosing not to retain.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1157360699783483393

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sacrist65 posted:

does the book in question start with, "in the beginning god created heaven and the earth"?

I've lost a friend to the fox news/ Ben Shapiro bubble. He is a fireman with alot of free time to consume that poo poo and his brain broke when I said I voted for Hillary. It's all he talked about for like a year and a half . I didn't even like Hillary but that worldview was all consuming to him and i was some sort of enemy now. Its weird

Nah, that'd be the easy explanation. He'll read something that is arguably good (Steve Coll's Ghost Wars comes to mind) but then stops there and won't hear out that there are other journalists/academics with other takes on the subject. He's gotten better over the years in fairness. I told him he sounds like Tom Nichols at this point. I don't even think people like Shapiro are on his radar, and fortunately most of his bad takes extend to FP stuff like Nichols but domestic stuff he's pretty middle of the road.

In fairness, he doesn't bring this stuff up very often (if he did, I wouldn't hang around him) and he knows that I'm pretty far to the left and he's never given me poo poo for it nor tried to tell me my views are bad or dumb. I think I'm mostly just frustrated at watching a friend pretend the opposite of something is true despite clear evidence to the contrary.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's shorthand for run rate cash flow, which is usually a more meaningful metric for an operating investment decision than net profits.

Yes. I know. I was trying to end the pedantry early, but the Call of the Goon went out I guess.

I just wanted to leave it there because it's mostly useful if you're of the investing type or interested in creating free cash flows. It's something that is hyper-capitalistic because it tries to separate the "value" of the company as something entirely separate of the labour class

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 2, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's rad to see Bernie and Warren teaming up and I hope it results in them being the ticket in the general

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FAUXTON posted:

It's rad to see Bernie and Warren teaming up and I hope it results in them being the ticket in the general

:same:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

FAUXTON posted:

My boss said he thought Warren/Sanders was the biggest threat to American Democracy so I too hope they are who the dems go with.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1157371745063571458?s=19

Maggie is a bit too heavy on the access journalism for me nowadays, but lol at "POTUS hates when stories say there’s a vacancy without clear replacement... So he announced Ratcliffe"

They can't do anything right.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

My boss said he thought Warren/Sanders was the biggest threat to American Democracy so I too hope they are who the dems go with.

I assume they're all aboard the trump train

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving method actors :rolleyes:

Hollywood Stuntman Shot In the Back During Audition for 'SEAL Team'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

lol 'American Democracy' has from it's inception, with a brief exception in the 1860s, been intentionally tainted by an inbuilt vulnerability to slaver/racist sentiments and it's delivered pretty much what you'd expect to receive from a system ultimately controlled by a horde of perpetually aggrieved slavers who crank it to the idea of being french nobility, and their perpetually aggrieved racist heirs who crank it to the idea of being perpetually aggrieved slavers like the olden days.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Yeah it's a very multi-faceted issue.

But big papa DoD can't control that, so that's why benefits get shuffled around; it's one of the few things they can do to staunch the bleeding ever so slightly.

The big generalizations are that 1) it's getting harder and harder to find qualified applicants, even with reduced standards 2) it's harder and harder to keep people in a healthy/active status due to sustainable readiness and 3) it's getting harder and harder to keep people in because of sustainable readiness (like 90%) and benefits (like 10%)

4) The military is a Kafkaesque hellscape of a career and not being in it is just generally better.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

4) The military is a Kafkaesque hellscape of a career and not being in it is just generally better.

I mean I'm not gonna dispute that but it's really funny sitting in a room with two or three ASDs watching them hem and haw about why number not go up anymore.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The Ratcliffe news is the best thing I’ve heard all day. Thank gently caress

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

yo its nazi bashing time in TFR. bring the wp we've got strawmans to burn

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I mean I'm not gonna dispute that but it's really funny sitting in a room with two or three ASDs watching them hem and haw about why number not go up anymore.

What's their latest galaxy brain take on the source of the problem

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I'm pretty sure I'm officially required to discourage this.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

man, I ate a lot of stupid probations for calling out TFRs resident literal Nazi, is Pecos bill back already?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

someone else here made a good point in that they both are progressive but their supporters come from different backgrounds and man really hope that one of them is the dem nominee with Tim Kaine as their running mate

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Not enough mandatory training

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

McNally posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm officially required to discourage this.

Smiling Jack posted:

man, I ate a lot of stupid probations for calling out TFRs resident literal Nazi, is Pecos bill back already?

cyrano says that he's going to start making changes to TFR, one nazi already ate a perma in the thread

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

orange juche posted:

They're political appointees and/or careers in acting roles so they hemmed and hawed about how it's bad that number not go up but made zero conclusions or decisions.

The recommended course of action from the briefers was to increase recruitment efforts with no other deviation in policy or procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lol at whining about hate crime laws