Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think Soulkey is the best ZvP player in the world, the best ZvT player in the world, and the like eighth or something best ZvZ player in the world. That scourge start/stop in the last 2 games was frustrating to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

abuse culture. posted:

action is really loving good, i think he might be better than soulkey

for some idiot reason i forgot about action, and you're right he's definitely better

pretty surprised by sacsri making round of 8, i doubt he advances past that but hey

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I wouldn't be surprised if the queen stuff destroys on ladder with like an 85% winrate but just sucks against absolute top tier players who just sniff it out too effectively.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
That could be. Mech's kinda slow and the counter to the queens seems to be putting on pressure so they don't have the APM to actually get broodlings off in a cost effective manner and still micro their army properly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Flash was building a second Ebay to float over his tanks to avoid getting busted, not sure that was the norm

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah the building cover for the initial Zerg rushes seemed like an innovation. Incidentally, I didn't realise until this ASL that Spawn Broodling could be cast on Terran mech units, I always thought they could only be cast on bio units. Thanks for teaching me something new ASL :)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the flavor is that you can broodling anything that living creatures inside and is grounded, so I think the only ground units that can't be broodlinged are archons, dark archons(because they're spirits), probes, and reavers(because they're robots)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Elyv posted:

the flavor is that you can broodling anything that living creatures inside and is grounded, so I think the only ground units that can't be broodlinged are archons, dark archons(because they're spirits), probes, and reavers(because they're robots)

Yup, everything except those 4 Protoss units. Broodlings are theoretically amazing, but it's just so much time, money, and effort to use this unwieldy instant death spell. Just like an RPG!!! :pseudo:

quote:

Spawn Broodling fails if the Queen dies prior to the projectile connecting with its target.
This is a real problem too in regards to proper usage of Broodlings.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm still surprised that ensnare isn't used as often as a counter to stim since its a lot cheaper and less fiddly to aim

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not much opportunity for it just at the moment, almost every TvZ goes mech

Ensnare is a really badass counter to bio though

https://youtu.be/qib20kcWS2o

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Snow vs Last What an absolute clinic. Snow continues to give super entertaining games.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm still surprised that ensnare isn't used as often as a counter to stim since its a lot cheaper and less fiddly to aim

It's really hard to hit still and you're desperately trying to get to defilers

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Can't believe action won, he played so nervous and plenty of mistakes were made. I thought he was gonna drop every game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gmaz posted:

Can't believe action won, he played so nervous and plenty of mistakes were made. I thought he was gonna drop every game.

i'm just glad i don't have to pin my hopes for zerg in this tournament on sacsri, though with how sloppy action played these matches and how goddamn fuckin amazing snow played the other night i still doubt action makes finals

also i haven't seen as major a reaction from a player as from sharp in game 5 when his depot went down in a long, long time (outside of mini who does that every match he loses, and some he wins)

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 6, 2019

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

It's weird that Artosis doesn't really mention this (especially after how they talked about the state Zerg is in right now), but I am so loving scared for Terran when Flash has to retire or go to the military.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

He announced already this is his last big offline tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvF3iGk8ssE

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
It's interesting that Rain got out of it by donating a kidney. lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Chucat posted:

It's weird that Artosis doesn't really mention this (especially after how they talked about the state Zerg is in right now), but I am so loving scared for Terran when Flash has to retire or go to the military.

terran is going to be fine without flash, there are several other very high-tier terrans. zerg without soulkey is going to be a wasteland unless action stops being so sloppy (or sacsri keeps pulling great games out of his rear end)

however, with bisu coming back soon, rain still being rain and snow pulling some incredible matches, I bet we see a lot of protoss tournament victories over the next year or two.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Best and Stork are both looking great too, I feel like either of those guys could have got to the quarterfinals in any other ro16 group.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah stork really came back in a big way that I did not expect. I'd not at all be surprised to see him take an asl or gsl soon.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Youtube version of Ro.8 S3 got taken down pretty much immediately, but it can still be seen here:
http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/46766719

Game 2 is really good.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

Youtube version of Ro.8 S3 got taken down pretty much immediately, but it can still be seen here:
http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/46766719

Game 2 is really good.

Thank you kind goon sir!

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
http://bj.afreecatv.com/aslenglish/vods is the link that has all the videos this season, with the newest first.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cheech Marinade posted:

http://bj.afreecatv.com/aslenglish/vods is the link that has all the videos this season, with the newest first.

Nice. Thanks for the link!

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

terran is going to be fine without flash, there are several other very high-tier terrans. zerg without soulkey is going to be a wasteland unless action stops being so sloppy (or sacsri keeps pulling great games out of his rear end)

however, with bisu coming back soon, rain still being rain and snow pulling some incredible matches, I bet we see a lot of protoss tournament victories over the next year or two.

I don't really agree, but that's pretty much because I think Last is supremely inconsistent (and he also has stated wrist issues). Which pretty much leaves Sharp, Light and Rush right now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TvT continues to be the best matchup, g2 and g3 were bothgreat

I thought Flash would just roll Light going in but in the games that went late Light put up one hell of a fight

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
lol Sacsri

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fanatic posted:

lol Sacsri

Flash vs Rain coming up though, that's exciting

do I even need to spoiler that I dunno

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

as bad as sacsri's performance was today, he's sadly the second best zerg in the world who is actually playing, and the best is action who seems off his game. maybe larva will get up there but that dude has consistently underperformed like hell. with effort and soulkey gone, i doubt we see a zerg in finals in the next year or longer.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Yep as a zergfan losing effort and soulkey in such a short space of time is a bummer and I don't know what to do with myself now

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as bad as sacsri's performance was today, he's sadly the second best zerg in the world who is actually playing, and the best is action who seems off his game. maybe larva will get up there but that dude has consistently underperformed like hell. with effort and soulkey gone, i doubt we see a zerg in finals in the next year or longer.
Larva beat a top chinese player with his feet and knew he would never be better than he was at that very moment.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 14, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

These guys aren't leaving permanently, right? I presume military service is just 1 to 2 years depending on your branch. But I suppose players like Flash may be on their way out of the tournament scene due to health.

I don't mind that, as cool as the past 8 seasons of ASL have been, I'm somewhat more interested in players we see in KSL, I like seeing new people show up

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

as far as i know, no, soulkey and effort are not leaving permanently. flash, however, is.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Didnt watch any broodwar for years and now found out about ASL. Pretty amazing that not only it still exists but apparently manages to pull crowds almost like in the old days and the if anything the players are even more skilled than ever. Great stuff, very exciting

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

well, at least action looked better this time around

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

well, at least action looked better this time around

that game two loss tho! Five bases including one hidden and he still got btfo.

Tbf Snow looked really good. I think this is the best I’ve seen him play without resorting to crazy reaver-shuttle stuff, unless that closer in game three counts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

skasion posted:

Tbf Snow looked really good. I think this is the best I’ve seen him play without resorting to crazy reaver-shuttle stuff, unless that closer in game three counts.

i just mean in comparison to round of 8, which was some of the sloppiest play i've ever seen someone turn into a win that deep in a tournament. that second game loss was agonizing though and did not get my confidence up that zerg won't see a huge slump over the next 1-2 years as effort and soulkey fulfill their military service. unless sacsri, larva and/or action really step it up, or jaedong gets back to the glory he once enjoyed like a decade ago, it is gonna be a real rough stretch for zerg fans. and between losing far and away the two best zergs, and losing the best terran (and starcraft player in general) in flash, while bisu comes back, snow continues to improve massively and rain continues to be a terrifying monster among a whole slew of other really really good protoss players still being active, i foresee a LOT of protoss vs. protoss matches in the later stages of tournaments for the next good while.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

skasion posted:

In match 2. I had to watch the play at 1:01:12 a couple times to make sense of what happened, but I'm certain now that Action misclicked and targeted his own Scourge units as they flew over the Templar he was targeting.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Rain got obliterated today, holy poo poo. Most one sided bo5 this asl along with rains win against sacsri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flash is fuckin ridiculous