Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The_Maz posted:

I treated the CBR to new jets and a few other carb bits. So of course I'm now about to tear down the bike a third time because there's a coolant leak...from the carbs. 90s Honda engineers sure had some ideas :psyduck:

I've worked on a Honda single cylinder Enduro, can't recall the model, totally normal dohc water cooled single but then the thermostat housing is part of the rubber intake boot for some reason.

90's Honda bullshit is like it's own forum worth of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The_Maz posted:

I treated the CBR to new jets and a few other carb bits. So of course I'm now about to tear down the bike a third time because there's a coolant leak...from the carbs. 90s Honda engineers sure had some ideas :psyduck:

You shut your mouth, coolant bleed carb heaters are good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carb heaters are in general good. They keep the carb from icing up in cold weather, which, with a venturi is easier than you might think. They also serve to regulate the incoming air temp, leading to more consistent performance.

My elite has both a coolant based carb heater as well as a coast enrichener.

The carb heater I left for the reasons stated above, the coast enrichener I blocked off because they are pretty unnecessary and without them you get all the off-throttle popping and burbling out of the exhaust. Its great on the Elite because of course the exhaust is very quiet, but you can hear the off throttle pops and snaps just enough to know they're there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Yeah carb heaters aren't rare or bad. Yamaha has been doing it for a long time along with lots of carbureted cars.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
With as much of a kick in the dick as carb extraction has been on the Rex, I'm kind of glad it didn't come with the carb heater circuit. (Euro bikes got the heater, NAm bikes got the emissions control PAIR system). I think if I'd had to drain and refill the coolant in addition to the mechanical headaches I'd have sold the fucker on and never found out about the cams.

Now that I'm a little more comfortable with the procedure, I guess I can keep the heater circuit in mind if I ever really feel a need to go riding on cold wet days. I probably won't. Calgary's super dry most of the time anyway.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sagebrush posted:

I swear the most dangerous part of flying small planes is the highway to the airport

Where on Earth do you live? 90% of the time I delete my commuting videos without even opening the files.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I gotta put my gopro back on my helmet.

Today, just in the 20 miles between my place and the airport:

- The car in front of me ran over a wooden crate, exploding it into shrapnel that scattered across all four lanes
- Cement truck made a last second swerve from the middle lane to the exit, cutting across an offramp gore
- Paralleled a guy in a Tesla on autopilot while he ate a bowl of yogurt
- A wind gust lifted a improperly secured 10 foot long 2x8 out of the bed of a pickup and spun it at least 20 feet into the air, narrowly missing the SUV behind when it came back down
- Countless cases of people drifting between lanes, slamming on brakes, failing to signal, etc

I swear the most dangerous part of flying small planes is the highway to the airport

Didn’t you also run over a whole drat extension ladder a couple years ago?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ouch, i bet that one rung his bell a bit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think it was one of those aluminum ramps they use for loading ATVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_CXpHDga4

Jonny 290 posted:

Ouch, i bet that one rung his bell a bit

as you can see in the video, if something is only a couple of inches tall you can ride right over it no problem. In this case it's probably a good thing that I didn't notice it sooner (even in the video it looks like tar snakes until you're right on top of it). I had never ridden over (what I perceived to be) a ladder before, and I probably would have braked hard and/or swerved, and hitting the thing with a lot of weight on the front wheel and some lean could have been disastrous. Riding straight over and keeping the weight off the front by staying on the gas is the way to go.

captainOrbital posted:

Where on Earth do you live? 90% of the time I delete my commuting videos without even opening the files.

bay area.

Once I came around a turn in the highway and saw a queen-sized box spring come flying out of a pickup bed and land in my lane. Fortunately it was a few hundred feet ahead so I had several seconds to avoid it. That was about a week after I had nearly piled up into the back of a Range Rover when the lady driving it decided to come to a dead stop in the middle of the highway onramp.

e: oh and i should see if I can find the picture I have of a dog apparently driving a car (because it was about twice the size of the driver and riding on her lap). Or the washing machine strapped to the roof of a fuckin Geo Metro or something with a single loop of rope tied to the side mirror

:ca:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 17, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
New master link straight up destroyed the riveting head on the tool I bought :negative:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

New master link straight up destroyed the riveting head on the tool I bought :negative:

You should have bought the RK Excel chain breaker rivet tool, not the Motion Pro.
Never get the motion pro.

The RK doesn't give a flying gently caress. It will put a hole through a 1/4" steel plate if you want.
It does 630 chains like butter.
I broke a motion pro literally every time I tried to press out a link.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 18, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You should have bought the RK Excel chain breaker rivet tool, not the Motion Pro.
Never get the motion pro.

The RK doesn't give a flying gently caress. It will put a hole through a 1/4" steel plate if you want.
It does 630 chains like butter.
I broke a motion pro literally every time I tried to press out a link.

Fun fact: motion pro pins are identical in appearance to other, superior kinds but they break like they're made of balsa wood.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Fun fact: motion pro pins are identical in appearance to other, superior kinds but they break like they're made of balsa wood.

I had one explode like a 6 year old opening a bag of skittles.
Always wear eye protection.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The punch pins have actually been fine, what gave out first was the threads on the inner bolt and then the head on the riveter (which as mentioned a DID rivet just ground flat immediately).

I doubt I'll get a refund but it's worth a punt.

e/ I've just ordered a clip link to hopefully get it up to a shop. I really wanted to do this myself but I need the fucker running, and I can't afford to keep trying poo poo that might not work right now. At least I got the sprockets on without issue :sigh:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 18, 2019

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to say, although some of them are bad, we've had this one at the shop for a while and it seems pretty reliable

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0135

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had pretty good luck so far with the DID tool, but if the RK is as good as you guys say, that's pretty impressive considering all the extra poo poo you get with it

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Some little poo poo stole a 20p plastic bag from my motorcycle panniers last night.
Didn’t steal the £30 dayglo waterproofs though.

In response, I have spent another £200 on security products.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That was about a week after I had nearly piled up into the back of a Range Rover when the lady driving it decided to come to a dead stop in the middle of the highway onramp.
People who don't know how to onramp are the worst.

A while ago I came around a sharp, blind bend leading to an onramp and there's someone literally stopped right at the start of the onramp, turned 45 degrees towards traffic with their right hand turn signal on waiting for traffic to clear. :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the harbor freight tool, and despite HF’s reputation, it’s handled every chain Ive thrown at it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Returned the tool, got my money back :toot:

Also today I learned Husqvarna make sewing machines

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Husqvarna loves buying or putting their name on other companies. The blower above is made by Redmax, their cutoff saws were made by Partner, the list goes on and on.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oops.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's your trailer pigtail, right?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That was the pigtail between my new brake light in the fender eliminator and my bikes wiring harness.

It's not world ending, but I gotta order a new one. :(

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I concede that carb heating systems are in fact awesome. Just chasing a pinhole leak in them sucks. However one dubiously made 20 dollar amazon endoscope later I have found the culprit.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Enough of your colon, show us the bike.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Happier times

How the drat thing seems to spend of the time time lately

Please join me next time when we go looking for polyps :butt:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Love that bike so much.
Nice job on the garage floor. Epoxy is the best.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Love that bike so much.
Nice job on the garage floor. Epoxy is the best.

It's been a hell of an improvement over rolling around in 30 year old filth in the parking garage under my old apartment, that's for sure.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Are insurance quotes produced by a random number generator?

I insured my FE 250 today, Progressive still had my FC 250 on my policy for some reason, since it was stolen the first day I owned it, and they literally own it now. Got the policy switched over, and with the claim and everything the cost came to... them paying me $10 because my new policy is 31.50 a year instead of 41.50. It makes no sense, the FE is street legal and could be in an at-fault accident, the FC was not, and could pretty much only be totalled racing, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't cover, the FE, of course can still be totalled racing off road. What the gently caress?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Are insurance quotes produced by a random number generator?

I insured my FE 250 today, Progressive still had my FC 250 on my policy for some reason, since it was stolen the first day I owned it, and they literally own it now. Got the policy switched over, and with the claim and everything the cost came to... them paying me $10 because my new policy is 31.50 a year instead of 41.50. It makes no sense, the FE is street legal and could be in an at-fault accident, the FC was not, and could pretty much only be totalled racing, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't cover, the FE, of course can still be totalled racing off road. What the gently caress?

In fairness to them, only one got stolen and it wasn't the FE.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Husqvarna started out as a weapons manufacturer in the 17th century, and over the years they've produced tons of different products, from cast iron stoves to robotic lawnmowers. :eng101:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Husky is like kawi in that motorcycles are like a little side business for them

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Our insurance person told us our rate was really low because most accidents on motorcycles result in the death of the policy holder, so they don't need to pay anything. I feel fairly certain that's BS, but it certainly doesn't instill any confidence in the insurance company. This was from progressive

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you mean like any of the Japanese big 4, they're all part of a keiretsu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lexorin posted:

Our insurance person told us our rate was really low because most accidents on motorcycles result in the death of the policy holder, so they don't need to pay anything. I feel fairly certain that's BS, but it certainly doesn't instill any confidence in the insurance company. This was from progressive

My FZ1 is $10 a year cheaper to insure than my ex500. Nothing makes sense, we are in bizarro land.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

you mean like any of the Japanese big 4, they're all part of a keiretsu

Couldn't you have just said "conglomerate" instead of making us all google "keiretsu"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Except Kawasaki Heavy Industries owns Kawasaki Motorcycles, Husqvarna Motorcycles are just cheaper, prettier KTMs.