Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, at least it doesn't gently caress up all the poo poo around it when it buckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
OC crosspost:

Some oc from walking my dog; this monstrosity of a trailer:

And the front:

Features include: Asymmetry and structural ratchet straps and siding!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Particle board, particle board
All over the highway particle board.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

What are they trying to keep contained?!?!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

What are they trying to keep contained?!?!

Scrap. At least it has full tires and lights. Anything I see like that around here is being pulled be a tiny car with none of that.

To be fair, one of my customer's trailers looked like that after twelve years. You could see the hitch ball through the hitch receiver, due to rust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0NlXKPaqZg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

davebo posted:

Particle board, particle board
All over the highway particle board.

plywood board, plywood board
plywood board hates particle board

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Scrap. At least it has full tires and lights. Anything I see like that around here is being pulled be a tiny car with none of that.

Scrappers usually collect and sell. But this one has a problem with that idea:

There doesn't seem to be a way to open the trailer to add or remove items. Every single piece of wood and siding appears to be screwed/nailed together.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That Works posted:

they have a fight; nobody wins
particle board

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Powershift posted:

or one 3 mile long, 364 door Aztek :dance:

This Speed Racer reboot is getting weird.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Maybe that trailer is a clever way of transporting an old shed? I know I did something sort of similar when taking apart an old gazebo and trying to fit it in a ranger. I tarped and strapped the whole loving thing down after.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder what the tow rig is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder what the tow rig is.

One of those cars that is two front ends welded together.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That Works posted:

Previa_fun posted:

they have a fight; nobody wins
particle board

Well, thanks. Now *that's* in my head.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This Speed Racer reboot is getting weird.

The Race Against The Mammoth Car

edit: awww, you can't spoiler a video. Fixed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I'd hate having to comb my car after every drive.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Did someone buy a few Jenga blocks?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Uthor posted:

I'd hate having to comb my car after every drive.

At least it looks long-haired and won't shed in your garage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't know which is worse: drum brake, or the fact that it uses wheel bolts.
Also, someone stole the wheels, I think.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, noticed the drums. And I hate lug bolts. Got done screwing with one and have another three to go.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lol thank you

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's absolutely nothing wrong with rear drums :colbert:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Or lug bolts, for that matter.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've never had hubcentric alignment. I imagine lug bolts would be a pain in the rear end.

Also drums are a pita to work on. It's like a clock behind there. Then again the only time I worked on a set the auto tightening mechanism was hosed and the drum was stuck to the hub.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 2, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

As long as you don't work on your own car, maybe.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KozmoNaut posted:

Grandpa, is that you?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Drums are poo poo to work on, and mediocre at stopping more than once a blue moon.
Lug bolts are just annoying as gently caress. It's telling that pretty much the only majors to use them are the Germans, because they won't give up on an idea until they thoroughly run it into the ground, and possibly not even then (see rear-engine Porsche.)
I *hated* the lug bolts on my RX-7. Thank God the GSL-SE hubs I upgraded to have honest-to-God studs, as well as larger (DISK!) brakes.

edit: also, drum brakes are ugly (and their mother dresses them funny. They speak with a lisp, too.)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

What exactly is the problem people have with lug bolts?

Cleaning up a wheel hub with lug bolts takes 30 seconds, cleaning up around studs to the same degree of cleanliness takes several minutes, that's the only difference I ever noticed.

Of all the things wrong with keeping an EDM machine good and running the lug bolts are probably the last thing I would complain about.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Darchangel posted:

Drums are poo poo to work on, and mediocre at stopping more than once a blue moon.
Lug bolts are just annoying as gently caress. It's telling that pretty much the only majors to use them are the Germans, because they won't give up on an idea until they thoroughly run it into the ground, and possibly not even then (see rear-engine Porsche.)
I *hated* the lug bolts on my RX-7. Thank God the GSL-SE hubs I upgraded to have honest-to-God studs, as well as larger (DISK!) brakes.

edit: also, drum brakes are ugly (and their mother dresses them funny. They speak with a lisp, too.)

Germans, French, Italians most European cars use lug bolts

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Getting the two sets of holes to line up was a pain in the rear end, i always hated working on vws at my shop job. With studs you can hang the wheels then come back and thread the nuts on; bolts you pretty much have to put the first one in the wheel and hold it there with one hand, hold the rim with the other, and guide it all together as you stare through the bolt holes to make sure they're lined up right. Most cars, at least one axle would spin freely, so you can't twist the wheel on the hub to rotate the holes into alignment.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Like if it's really difficult for you to manage just cut the head off a spare wheel bolt and use that as a dowel to hang the wheel on while you thread the other bolts in

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

fridge corn posted:

Like if it's really difficult for you to manage just cut the head off a spare wheel bolt and use that as a dowel to hang the wheel on while you thread the other bolts in

I did that! Got some long bolts from McMaster and hacksawed the heads off.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

If you lightly push on the lower quarter of the wheel it will stabilize on the hub without coming off and if the hub and wheel are clean you can position them easily. At least that's my experience but I usually don't work on rust buckets.

In my opinion the best brake setup for rear axles is main disk brakes and drum e-brakes because whenever someone tries to utilize the main calipers for the e-brake it usually ends up as a pain to work on.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 3, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

If you lightly push on the lower quarter of the wheel it will stabilize on the hub without coming off and if the hub and wheel are clean you can position them easily. At least that's my experience but I usually don't work on rust buckets.

Rest the tire on your toes and brace it against the drum with the knee. Awkward as gently caress if you got a gut but it's easy to get the bolts in finger tight! :v:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Krakkles posted:

As long as you don't work on your own car, maybe.

Get a BMW - then you can have the best of both worlds! Disk brakes for the service brakes and then a small drum setup inside the rear rotor for the handbrake!! :downs:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lug bolts suck. Period.

Taking wheels on and off is one of if not the most common thing to happen to a car.

Arguing that it isn't bad because you can just make your own studs that you install temporarily instead of having them be a permanent part of the car is the most German car thing I've ever heard.

If you're still not convinced:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lug...mobile&ie=UTF-8

All I had to type into Google was "lug bo" and it auto filled the rest.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It's not a German car thing to make temporary studs, in fact I never heard about it outside this thread. I just don't think it's that big of an issue to line up 2 holes if you know how to grab a tire and I don't think I ever heard someone complain about it either which is why I was so interested in hearing why it poses such an inconvenience on the other side of the Atlantic apparently.

I can see the convenience of placing your wheel on studs to align but to me the incovnecine of cleaning around the studs if you wanna do a good job is outweighting the few seconds it takes to align the holes.

That's just me though and I grew up with both as half my cars are made in Japan. Maybe it's a different thing if every wheel hub you ever looked on has studs.

As I said of all the things wrong with the modern EDM service nightmare, having wheel lugs seems like a very miniscule thing to complain about.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I had a volvo with wheel bolts. It had an alignment pin on the hub face to help you line things up. :sweden:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MRC48B posted:

I had a volvo with wheel bolts. It had an alignment pin on the hub face to help you line things up. :sweden:

I was just about to say that the X1/9 had a similar set up with 2 pins. Maybe it's a Bertone thing :italy:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The first thing I did with all of my BMWs was convert to studs. Bolts are a blight.
(Along with doing the complete cooling system because you know that's bad, no matter how New or old it is or when the last owner swore they did it)

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I drop one bolt into the wheel I’m installing, set an impact on top (small 3/8 one) and then use the bolt/impact to help line up the wheel with the hole in the hub. Easy as pie.