Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

D. Ebdrup posted:

Like basically all other technology in the books it's glossed over, all we know is that the bodies are rendered for their water, whatever that means. I doubt it has much to do with rendering fat which involves heat, I always took it more as a way of dissolving the body and then cleaning the liquids until it's just water.

I think worms eat sand plankton, whereas spice is excreted by sandtrout into the water they encyst until there is no more water left and it's just a bunch of hydrogen, assuming the sandtrout separate the oxygen from the water.

Desiccating organic compounds completely doesn't seem like a very efficient way, since it's incredibly time-consuming and we know that Jamis' water gets brought back to Sietch Tabr that very evening after they leave.

Body goes in, water comes out. You can't explain it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Probably not.

Instead, have some pretty pictures, thread:

(Source)

EDIT: And another.

(Source)

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

(because the Illuminati want to create nationalistic sentiment in order to get people ready for the next global holocaust)

I mean this is also pretty much accurate too

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

D. Ebdrup posted:

Desiccating organic compounds completely doesn't seem like a very efficient way, since it's incredibly time-consuming and we know that Jamis' water gets brought back to Sietch Tabr that very evening after they leave.

:shrug: I don't think about these things too hard, man. Scifi tech almost never holds up to serious scrutiny.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

On one hand it's extremely :gonk:, but on the other this is one of the most organic conversations in the series. Because Frank doesn't know what it's like to be a psychic space-bedouin warrior who doesn't bathe, but he does know what it's like to be extremely horny.

I never really read the last books on account of them never being finished and also because people kept saying they were garbage. but if they're full of wild poo poo like this, I might have to make a go of it. Herbert didn't die of an embolism, he died because his horny level rose too high to be contained and his dick exploded.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The last two are worth a try if you liked God Emperor. I mean, the villain is an empire of hyper imperialistic man hating gently caress witches with cannibal cat people slaves.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

I never really read the last books on account of them never being finished and also because people kept saying they were garbage. but if they're full of wild poo poo like this, I might have to make a go of it. Herbert didn't die of an embolism, he died because his horny level rose too high to be contained and his dick exploded.
They're not as much unfinished as it's just that there's a lot of things that aren't explained (which is par for the loving course with Frank) and a lot of people seem to feel that the "complete Dune series" would've been two trilogies separated by GeOD, I think?

They are kinda horny though, but that's true for basically all of scifis greatest writers as they got older - it has a sort of skeevy charm to it, in its own weirding way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think Asimov was the least horny of classic sci fi writers.

Clarke and Herbert and Heinlein being the horniest.

Bradbury wasn’t too horny but I haven’t read a lot of his stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Asimov’s writing isn’t that horny because he worked out all his sexual urges by groping fans at conventions.

The true horniest sf writer was Cordwainer Smith who wrote a whole book about a sexy badass cat girl hooker in the future, named after his own cat

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

iirc cordwainer smith is the Jet-Propelled Couch guy, whose nanny had sex with him when he was nine or something equally horrific and sexually traumatizing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

skasion posted:

Asimov’s writing isn’t that horny because he worked out all his sexual urges by groping fans at conventions.

:( well drat that is something I didn’t know and that sucks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

iirc cordwainer smith is the Jet-Propelled Couch guy, whose nanny had sex with him when he was nine or something equally horrific and sexually traumatizing.

wouldnt be surprised, his life was actually batshit insane and all his writing was some poo poo he did under a fake name to blow off steam for his day job as psychological warfare expert for the nationalist chinese

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hey, everyone, read The Jet-Propelled Couch, a two-part article in Harpers (part I, part II) from the 50s.

quote:

“This fellow is a man in his thirties,” he said, “a research physicist with us out here. As far as I can tell, he’s perfectly normal in every way except for a lot of crazy ideas about living part of the time in another world–on another planet. Washington sent him out to do a key job, and until a few weeks ago he was going great guns. But lately he’s out of contact with the work so much and for so long that something’s got to he done about it.”

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

[Dune Thread] [Thread about Frank Herbert's Dune] hyper imperialistic man hating gently caress witches

Theotus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 2, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

D. Ebdrup posted:

Probably not.

Instead, have some pretty pictures, thread:

(Source)

EDIT: And another.

(Source)

I feel like the first image is a joke because it has the silhouettes of two (2) RotJ death stars..

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
“Witches Leave” in Clarence Boddicker voice is the best post in this thread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

*villeneuve voice* and then, the witches, they leave

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

*jodorowsky voice* what is the goal of the life? It's to create yourself a soul. For me, movies are an art, more than an industry. And it’s the search of the human soul, as painting, as literature, as poetry. movies are dat for me

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Has their been any concept art from the new film released yet? Do we know who the artists are?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean if you have electric power somehow you could just heat the thing in a retort and have a cooling coil that catches whatever comes out. Then you run it through a filter to get the stray bits of turd and Jamis' dick out of it and there ya go.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dune delayed a month. Dec 18th 2020

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1157438048633872385?s=19

quote:

Dune moves out of the Thanksgiving corridor away from an untitled Amblin movie and Sony’s Happiest Season to the weekend prior to Christmas weekend, where it will face off against Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story, Paramount’s Coming to America 2, and Sony’s Uncharted starring Tom Holland.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 3, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1157333720040452097?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

drunkill posted:

Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story, Paramount’s Coming to America 2, and Sony’s Uncharted starring Tom Holland.

god created the film industry to test the faithful

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Hey at least it's not competing with another god damned Star Wars.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

jfc why would you make a Coming to America sequel no way that's not gonna be disappointing as hell

E: like it's not a big deal to me that Dune's getting pushed a month, but CtA2 nooooo

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't Coming to America 2 just be Black Panther

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Every ounce of humor and wit that was in "coming to America" will be completely non-existence in the sequel.

There will be, AT LEAST, 2 fart jokes.
Justin Bieber will be in it.

I am sure they will have Sam Jackson do a walkon just to yell " MUTHAFUCKA".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Coming 2 America. Terrific.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

It'll be full of politics and less humor.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Apparently Eddie Murphy's writing that one same as he wrote the original but still I got super low confidence in it not being awful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eddie Murphy would certainly be an out of left field career revival. Has anyone had a breakdown how he kept on starring in nothing but garbage (and Shrek) for what seems like decades?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Not gonna lie, kinda excited for Failson's BG series mainly for the opportunity to hear the phrase "I can control genital temperature" spoken by a real human being with a straight face.

Temperature is stored in the balls.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

magic cactus posted:

Prescience is stored in the balls.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

magic cactus posted:

Ultraspice is stored in the balls.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Prescience is stored in the balls

That scene from Lynch's Dune with the Navigator but it's a big old pair of balls instead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

*jodorowsky voice* what is the goal of the life? It's to create yourself a soul. For me, movies are an art, more than an industry. And it’s the search of the human soul, as painting, as literature, as poetry. movies are dat for me

*also jodorowsky* to gently caress and poo poo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

and why?! all for this, this spice, this poo poo!!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

regularly scheduled reminder to watch Jodorowsky's Dune, for those who have not

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

magic cactus posted:

That scene from Lynch's Dune with the Navigator but it's a big old pair of balls instead.

I mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is pronounce Yo-do-rove-ski