Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Consoles and pcs are both great. Can't play dota on the ps4, can't play god of war on pc.

Not being able to play dota is a pro for ps4 not a con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

fridge corn posted:

Not being able to play dota is a pro for ps4 not a con

:yeah:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Both suck

---------
posted from my Apple Macintosh of some sort

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I think this is the fifth pc vs console derail this thread has had. The best console is the zeebo.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ChazTurbo posted:

I think this is the fifth pc vs console derail this thread has had. The best console is the zeebo.

It's actually the Phantom.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Caesar Saladin posted:

PC gamers love getting butthurt, they thrive on it, every opportunity to get mad about something they drag out for years, while console gamers are too busy laughing and gaming

A pic of me and the boys. They're just out of frame, laughing and gaming.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

dark souls 2 is really good

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Caesar Saladin posted:

PC gamers love getting butthurt, they thrive on it, every opportunity to get mad about something they drag out for years, while console gamers are too busy laughing and gaming

:dukedoge:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

PC is lego, console is duplo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PC plays games. Consoles play games. Cell phones play something that is marketed as games. WAR OVER PEACE REIGNS!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Can't wait for next gen when building a Ryzen PC will allow me to keep three case variations of the same machine with different exclusivity deals next to the TV

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

dark souls 2 is really good

i thought it had the best gameplay of the main 3 games, dark souls 3 was kind of a step backwards in a lot of ways but apparently that's because that team started from the dark souls 1 engine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

consoles are superior if you're a little kid or mentally handicapped

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Icochet posted:

Both suck

---------
posted from my Apple Macintosh of some sort

i remember the dark age when macs had no games. playing an awful port of baldur's gate 2 with no mods, no patches, and 15fps anywhere the entire map was revealed

---------
posted from my apple macintosh g4 powerpc

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

consoles are superior if you're a little kid or mentally handicapped

I'm both those things

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I heard on NPR that 84% of gaming PCs are purchased via disability checks because PC gamers are too fat to walk and too socially maladjusted to work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I heard on NPR that 84% of gaming PCs are purchased via disability checks because PC gamers are too fat to walk and too socially maladjusted to work.

It's true but also Steam gives discounts if you can prove that you're a MRA

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

imagine spending hundreds of dollars for a console or a gaming pc in 2019 when you can get games on your phone for free lmfao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat
Imagine spending hundreds of $ on a gaming PC when you could spend hundreds of $ on Farmville 3.0

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the final boss of Space Impact is a massive letdown, fills up half the screen but you can beat the thing just by staying in place and mashing 1/3

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

The Outer Wilds is just okay. The gimmick is kinda cool at first but then just becomes an annoyance. The Nomai are boring and look stupid, same goes for the PC race. The enviroments are interesting but superficial.

The big fish are dumb.

Interacting with the characters you meet, feels like a bad newgrounds game due to the lack of animation and weirdly poor dialogue system.

The exploration stuff is good and it's always great when you have one of those "aha" moments but plenty of games the last couple of years have done it much better.

The controls are bad. loving up one of the oldest and most simple mechanics (jumping) is an unforgivable crime in videogames.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

QuarkJets posted:

It's true but also Steam gives discounts if you can prove that you're a MRA

I too suffer from Misaligned Rectal Aperture.

Gimme my discount Gabe! It will be a balm to my years of making GBS threads just to the left of the toilet.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

veni veni veni posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Flimf posted:

The exploration stuff is good and it's always great when you have one of those "aha" moments but plenty of games the last couple of years have done it much better.

Which ones? Not trying to be a dick, just curious on your opinion.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Which ones? Not trying to be a dick, just curious on your opinion.

The La-Mulana games.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
FPGAs that are difficult to backdoor and open source engines are the only hope for video games in the future

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

olives black posted:

FPGAs that are difficult to backdoor and open source engines are the only hope for video games in the future

Whoa, all that advanced techno lingo reads practically Chinese to me!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

La Mulana is truly great, one of the all time best games

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

why would you play video games on a FPGA?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Rutibex posted:

why would you play video games on a FPGA?

You have to sometimes for arcade emulation.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A gaming pc is like a race car, a console is a like a Honda civic r-type that only turns left because it's missing parts

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liek playing fun video games on my X Box One my favorite is far cry 4 and also fallout 4 and doom (:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nooner posted:

I liek playing fun video games on my X Box One my favorite is far cry 4 and also fallout 4 and doom (:

doom is good idk about those other 2

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Today I found a Unity port of Daggerfall some dude has been working on since 2014. He recently released the first Alpha and it's pretty mindblowing to see how well it runs now. Despite the janky rear end combat and poo poo dungeons I'm still having fun. I guess my unpopular opinion is that it kinda still holds up.
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/live-builds/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd5c4AZiV9g

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I'm playing Into the Breach and having a hard time getting into it because of the "buildings are your life" mechanic. I want to protect my sweet rear end mech suits not your dumb buildings.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Into the breach seems like a really cool mech tactics game until you realize it's just a puzzle game with mech shaped pieces

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Into the Breach is another one of those hype games like Darkest Dungeon that I really want to like, but it never grabs me at all when I actually play it. And I want to understand why people are so hooked, but I just don't.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thermos posted:

I'm playing Into the Breach and having a hard time getting into it because of the "buildings are your life" mechanic. I want to protect my sweet rear end mech suits not your dumb buildings.

You generally don't want to be body-blocking hits with your mechs, you want to move monsters such that they don't hit anything or hit each other

veni veni veni posted:

Into the Breach is another one of those hype games like Darkest Dungeon that I really want to like, but it never grabs me at all when I actually play it. And I want to understand why people are so hooked, but I just don't.

It's a dynamic puzzle game with a cool theme

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Away all Goats posted:

Into the breach seems like a really cool mech tactics game until you realize it's just a puzzle game with mech shaped pieces

You hit the nail on the head. I guess I was expecting some kind of advance wars/front mission/xcom hybrid. It's my own fault for not doing my research but it's gotten so much acclaim that I figured it was hard to go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
There's overlap, but if the "puzzles" aren't procedural and natural then I can see that being a turn off, because that's arguably lazy.