Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait, are they swapping out Bill's wife for a kid instead?

I'm learning to hate the fun house hall of mirrors scene that's now showing up in tons of thrillers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, are they swapping out Bill's wife for a kid instead?

I'm learning to hate the fun house hall of mirrors scene that's now showing up in tons of thrillers.

His wife is listed on the IMDB cast list. I think that is just some random kid in the trailer. Though I bet that kid will be called "George" or something.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The trailer looked great to me.

Except for Pennywise's tongue. Hopefully the final version is better.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the loving smokehole is in it, sold

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

moths posted:

Except for the funhouse, Georgie, and "Not scary at all," I think eveything else was.

It looks like they're remixing the fair scene where the gay teen was killed, ending with the thousands of balloons under the bridge.

The quick shots like the smokehole are in there, but the bulk of the trailer was the funhouse scene (I love the idea of him taunting Bill who is -not scared- by killing kids in front of him, works). It definitely looks like they are diving into the ritual of Chud stuff, which is great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
skimmed Elevation, it was terrible

felt like King’s one man struggle to come to grips with the concept of writing gay characters as something other than one off mentions or clown food

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I also read that yesterday and thought it sucked. Like he took part of Thinner but applied the curse to the plot and character development.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I also read that yesterday and thought it sucked. Like he took part of Thinner but applied the curse to the plot and character development.

lol this is a good summary

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been listening to the Dark Tower audiobooks and am surprised at how much I'd forgotten.

I went on ebay and bought a bunch of other King audiobooks on tape for my afternoon walks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol @ tapes

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hope it's some kind of neon colored Walkman, but yeah the audiobooks are pretty at least through the 3rd or 4th book. I don't think I listened to em past that so hopefully the later ones are decent too. Did King himself read on some of them? I feel like one of the reasons I stopped listening was that they changed the guy reading and I wasn't a fan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Inspector 34 posted:

I hope it's some kind of neon colored Walkman, but yeah the audiobooks are pretty at least through the 3rd or 4th book. I don't think I listened to em past that so hopefully the later ones are decent too. Did King himself read on some of them? I feel like one of the reasons I stopped listening was that they changed the guy reading and I wasn't a fan.

King read the first three. Frank Muller did them also up to Wizard. While I liked King's reading, he wasn't much on doing voices. His Detta Walker was....interesting.

As for buying the tapes, they're super cheap - $5-8 each.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I just finished Elevation, and it was as preachy & schmaltzy & emotionally manipulative as I expected. But it had just a little streak of what makes his stuff like The Moving Finger fun to read - a completely insane premise that's never explained, weird poo poo just happens. I didn't enjoy it as much as a lot of his other stuff, but I can't say I entirely hated it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-st...ode-1202659325/

This is probably bad, but I guess it can't be worse than the way the original miniseries ended.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There is no way to picture that hand of god literal deus ex machina on screen; I hope thats part of the change.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Darko posted:

There is no way to picture that hand of god literal deus ex machina on screen; I hope thats part of the change.

It's literally a mushroom cloud.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No, he's talking about how the Smash Brothers Master Hand saved the day.

It was terrible.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

So King re-writes the ending and a new, 5000-page edition of The Stand is released, in hardback?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I think on Keystone Earth, King actually died in the van accident. We are on a level of the Tower where he survived and ran all of his poo poo into the ground.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I just watched the Dark Tower movie after having seen it in the theaters. Man, this is probably the most disappointed I have ever been in a movie.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I just watched the Dark Tower movie after having seen it in the theaters. Man, this is probably the most disappointed I have ever been in a movie.

If you enjoyed this disappointing experience I highly recommend checking out the Pet Sematary remake!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh no, how did they mess that one up?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I dreaded it when I first heard about it, but forced myself to watch it and give it a chance.

That was a mistake. I can't imagine the franchise going any further.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

E: nm

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As much as I really like the casting of Roland and Walter, I have read enough to know I will never, under any circumstances, subject myself to that film.

Thanks for the warnings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I wish Walter used his speech power to make me forget seeing the Dark Tower.

The worst part is you got to see a small hint of how the movie could've worked when Roland is in NYC. But then they go back to his world and everything gets boring.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hello strange forum. I've never read a Stephen King book. Well, I should say I've never finished one. I've started IT and Cujo but didn't finish either one. Not because of the books, just because I'm an idiot. Well lately I've gotten back into reading horror (reading A Head Full of Ghosts now, which is terrific), and I want to become a King guru.

I'm considering reading all his fiction novels in order of publication date. My questions: Is this a good idea? If yes, should I read The Dark Tower series by publication date too or clump them all together? And should I include the short stories collections or leave them until the end?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hello strange forum. I've never read a Stephen King book. Well, I should say I've never finished one. I've started IT and Cujo but didn't finish either one. Not because of the books, just because I'm an idiot. Well lately I've gotten back into reading horror (reading A Head Full of Ghosts now, which is terrific), and I want to become a King guru.

I'm considering reading all his fiction novels in order of publication date. My questions: Is this a good idea? If yes, should I read The Dark Tower series by publication date too or clump them all together? And should I include the short stories collections or leave them until the end?

It's a fairly common reading challenge, go for it if you feel up to it. Just know that there are pretty big tonal shifts several times in his career, so if you really start digging what he's writing over a given span, it's going to change soon enough. As far as the Dark Tower question, that's up to you. I'd personally go by publication date, but either way is fine. I'd also include the short story collections in publication order.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Just read the good books imo. His short story collections are his best writing, id personally read those first

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

just read the ones you want to read

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

A Typical Goon posted:

His short story collections are his best writing, id personally read those first

:agreed:

King is at his best when he's not trying to fill 500 pages.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There are at least half a dozen books of his that I would never read again so I would never suggest someone read everything in order, otherwise you might hit a wall with something that sucks

I'd also read the Dark Tower books in order after you've read a lot of his other stuff because if you go in publication order you're forcing yourself into a several book-long cliffhanger for no real reason or benefit

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Listening to Shawshank on audiobook in a drive thru with the window open and figured how bad could it get. I won’t pause it.

10 seconds later King uses the N word in a book based in Maine without any Black people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Red is black

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Red is black

More like oldcreativelibertiesinthedapation.

Red is White in the book. Maybe he's Black Irish?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

Just read the good books imo. His short story collections are his best writing, id personally read those first

Completely this. King is an outstanding short story author.

I'm suspicious that his novels are the consequence of losing control over a tight, focused story and launching another short one in the same context rather than concluding the original story.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

oldpainless posted:

Red is black

red is red because he has red hair. Morgan Freeman jokes about having no idea why he is called red in shawshank

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

More like oldcreativelibertiesinthedapation.

Red is White in the book. Maybe he's Black Irish?

If he is I hope he doesn't have a short fuse :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
So, here's a Stephen King book that doesn't get talked about much - Cycle Of The Werewolf. Is it any good? Has anyone actually read it?