Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hrmmmm.

I've been reading too many sci-fi books lately that focus on diplomacy with aliens, and trying to understand them. This... fancy Primal-slaying guild that wants to hire me (and is bribing me with retainers) is making me really dubious, because hmmm. I'd rather understand a Primal instead of just killing it.

Also having this come directly on the heels of "oh yeah we committed slavery centuries ago and when the slaves revolted we buried them, they survived, could you kill them please?" is pretty icky.

:allears:

Der Shovel posted:

Does anyone have any pictures of Hrothgar Red Mages or cool Hrothgar Warrior glamours? I really want to race change but the lack of hats is bumming me out.

Straight-up Ronkan has a great "wall-of-iron" aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cythereal posted:

Merlwyb's not bullying the kobolds - she wants peace with them.

The problem is that Lominsan settlers/pirates keep attacking the kobolds and provoking counterattacks, and Merlwyb refuses to stand by and let the kobolds slaughter her people even if they deserve it. Merlwyb is complicating the situation by encouraging pirates to settle on Vylbrand (so they'll stop being pirates), but she's not actively attacking the kobolds except when they attack first.

As Merlwyb puts it to Y'shtola: she's punished the people who broke the treaty, but she's not going to refuse to act when the kobolds continue to attack.

And yes, these violations of the treaty do keep happening and it always seems to be the Lominsans that start it, but Merlwyb isn't an absolute dictator.

Guess there's nothing they can do about repeated treaty violations, might as well keep murdering the understandably upset indigenous population :shrug:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 3, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Only got to it about six months after release, but I beat Azulmagia :toot:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Well that banquet went worse than I thought.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Wrestlepig posted:

Well that banquet went worse than I thought.

Wine was good though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ironslave posted:

Zenos is Kefka but not funny. He's the powerful dude put in a position of authority he really shouldn't have and is just kind of one-dimensional, without making you laugh at his ineptitude. Whether you end up liking him is going to come down to if you enjoy unsympathetic villains with little characterization. Which, given one of the things that draws a lot of folks to the game is the degree to which characters do have personality, causes him to be a miss for a lot of folks.

His VA can really chew the scenery at least.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zenos is awesome

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zenos is good as a contrast to all the deep villains with complex motivations. His extreme power and murderboner for the WoL mean that he is going to be a sword-shaped spanner in everyone's plans until he is put down for good and that owns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SirSamVimes posted:

Zenos is good as a contrast to all the deep villains with complex motivations. His extreme power and murderboner for the WoL mean that he is going to be a sword-shaped spanner in everyone's plans until he is put down for good and that owns.

I mean, that would've been fine if he'd just stayed dead after we killed him he first time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I thought Zenos was a fun villain, but I was more than ready to be done with him for good by the end of that story. He really didn't need to come back.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos was completely right, the wol doesn't give a poo poo they just want to fight stuff

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cheetah7071 posted:

Zenos was completely right, the wol doesn't give a poo poo they just want to fight stuff

He's absolutely not right that the WoL is like him since the WoL does not want to fight stuff at the cost of massive civilian casualties

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

He's absolutely not right that the WoL is like him since the WoL does not want to fight stuff at the cost of massive civilian casualties
Ah well you see that is true for my WOL, so it is true for all. Rofl. Lmao.

Question about the cosmic situation as of the end of the SHB MSQ.

So how many fuckin shards are left? There were 13 originally but I'm not clear on how many have been successfully rejoined, or whether the fuckup with the 13th counts. Did they squonch one in with Bahamut, or was that gonna be the First, and then that got hosed up -- then they were gonna do it with Thordan and we hosed THAT up -- then they were going to just try to get the WoDs to go ham, and we hosed THAT up... I begin to understand Emet-Selch and why he thought it would be a good idea to parley with us, even if he didn't expect to convince us, maybe at least he'd figure out how to avoid us

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm late to voice line chat but i'm a huge fan of the new contender in the final shb trial "I AM STIFLED BY THIS VESSEL OF FLESH"

hoping we still get to hear it in extreme

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nessus posted:

So how many fuckin shards are left? There were 13 originally but I'm not clear on how many have been successfully rejoined, or whether the fuckup with the 13th counts. Did they squonch one in with Bahamut, or was that gonna be the First, and then that got hosed up -- then they were gonna do it with Thordan and we hosed THAT up -- then they were going to just try to get the WoDs to go ham, and we hosed THAT up... I begin to understand Emet-Selch and why he thought it would be a good idea to parley with us, even if he didn't expect to convince us, maybe at least he'd figure out how to avoid us

There have been seven calamities throughout history, plus they ruined the 13th (it became the Void). So, five shards plus Source remaining.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Nuebot posted:

On that subject, I'm not far in Stormblood yet but so far the main villain(?) Zenos has been kind of lame. One guy I know really hypes the guy up but every single time he's been described to me he sounds just so incredibly generic and lame and I'm not looking forward to more interactions with him, especially after the really dull forced plot loss just to make him seem bigger and more awesome. Most of the antagonists so far seemed to have some degree of character to them, but everything about Zenos just seems to be anime as hell "I'm strong and evil and kill everything".

It really depends on the person, I've found. I really, really like him as a "There but for the grace of God, go I" sort of villain. He's just a really strong dude who really likes fighting strong poo poo, kinda like a player character. He even picks up SAM as a job because katanas are sweet. Everything lame about him took a turn for me later in the story when you find out just how much he really, really wants to fight.

Clarste posted:

I mean, that would've been fine if he'd just stayed dead after we killed him he first time.

On the other hand, an antagonist who wills himself out of death, solely for the sake of fighting more stuff, is super dope. It comes off a bit cliche because of genre conventions, but FFXIV as a game has had no trouble killing off built up antagonists, so having one that decides that, "nah, not done yet" is pretty neat. Doubly so because, as far as we know, there's no deeper motivation than fighting the WoL. He's willing to tell death to gently caress off and burn down an entire multi-generational empire for what's essentially a new raid tier.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's dumb and cliche but he works for me because he exists in a world that isn't dumb and cliche.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

My theory is that big E is lonely

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
re; Fabio Kefka,

I have a genuine hope that Zenos has pulled all the things he has - coming back from the dead, dismantling the empire - all in the name of fighting us but he has grossly miscalculated how much stronger we are via our time on the First. As a result he gets quickly curbstomped by us and the story heads in the direction of the Eorzan alliance taking advantage of the clusterfuck he's created in Garlemald and going on the offensive. This then leads into the next expansion. However, a thing happens and the WoL is called in to do WoL stuff.

As far out as this likely is, I really hope for it to be a thing.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Stormblood

OMG they put Tataru in a kimono. Thats loving adorable!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like Zenos mostly because his solo duties involved an integration of story and gameplay and that is a precious thing that needs to happen more in games.

When I saw he was level 70 instead of ??? in the first duty I cackled with glee at it being an unwinnable fight.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I was pretty thoroughly disenchanted with Gridania when I saw the little speech bubble conversation outside the conjurer's guild where the family is begging a conjurer to heal their sick child and the guy's like 'we can't go above quota or the elementals get mad.'

Add in the one leatherworker quest chain where it's shown there's also speakers who abuse their position to push their own views even if the elementals are totally silent on a matter and it's just as poo poo as other city states, it's just poo poo in a pretty forest instead of a desert or island.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I like Zenos mostly because his solo duties involved an integration of story and gameplay and that is a precious thing that needs to happen more in games.

When I saw he was level 70 instead of ??? in the first duty I cackled with glee at it being an unwinnable fight.

I was wearing him down just fine until he did his big stupid 'fight over now' move in every solo duty so I'm still cheesed. :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kitfox88 posted:

I was wearing him down just fine until he did his big stupid 'fight over now' move in every solo duty so I'm still cheesed. :colbert:
I'm OK with these things happening when it's sort of like "OK, you made it through all the actual content of the fight," but I do hope they mix it up some.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Zenos because he's the first villain that comes off like he has a personal emnity with the Warrior of Light and that's neat. I'm not sure he needed to come back from the dead though, but well he's cooler than his dad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
post-SHB, I still haven't seen any evidence to the contrary that the WoL wasn't Emet's ex in a previous life.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zenos is a ridiculous wrecking ball of a character in both the narrative and the meta narrative sense. He's having a grand old time and he's definitely not my friend but I dearly love him anyway.

And I will bust a gut if he shows up in a post ShB solo duty and he's still level 70.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 3, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Zenos is allowed to try and murder us under the condition that he first do the Buscarron bucket quest from level 20-whatever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The paths of good and evil are determined not by the nature of your heart nor the circumstances of your birth, but by the fetch quests that one *hits ESC*

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I wasn't really a fan of Zenos and I'm kind of torn on him but I appreciate that he's still somewhat working for the plot as a whole simply because they've taken his one-note shtick and just kept pressing it and turning it up to 11, to the point that he's basically burning down the empire and ruining both his father's and the ascians' plans solely because he's got such a murderboner. Just the sheer amount of chaos that's resulting has been hilarious to watch so far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Draxion posted:

Have you not done Stormblood somehow? How did you get to 70?

In any case go to Rhalgr's Reach, in Gyr Abania. There's a poetics vendor there who sells ilvl 390 Scaevan gear. But then go do Stormblood.

Dunno about SB but I ran into this problem in HW right now. You need to finish HW (or get close to) to unlock poetics vendors for 60+ and I think by the time I finish that stuff I’ll be around 67-68.

Edit: going really slowly and doing daily roulettes is how mainly, and only leveling the one job.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 3, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao @ the 80 WHM quest, where Sylphie doesn't have enough energy to heal because she spent too much casting DPS spells. Everything comes full circle

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RE;antag chat:
Basically I just want them to bullshit Hydrus back to life and have him be my cool buddy. I liked him, and I want his swordgun.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Hmmm, it's not quite round enough. Maybe it'll work on Lalafell?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I appreciate that crafting 80** recipes is practical without blowing a fortune on melds and stuff. My level 80 crafted crafter gear, with a mix of VI and VIII materia in the main slots and only a few +CP materia overmelded, was enough to make crafted weapons and such comfortably with only a little bit of starting quality. I managed to upgrade the last two i340 slots on my Scholar, and replace my remaining i330 gear on SMN and RDM (plus upgraded weapons), so it's all good, though I wish the leather wasn't so dizzyingly expensive.

Speaking of SMN, it's starting to click for me. I still don't have a real flow to it, it mostly feels like a lot of plates to spin, but hey, it still does better damage than my other level 80 DPS and rips through trash in dungeons. I do wish pets/egi assaults could just go on autopilot though, they're...not the most satisfying things to have to weave in.

obligatory elfpost, featuring some tweaks to my very, very long-running SCH glamour set :siren:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Nuebot posted:

RE;antag chat:
Basically I just want them to bullshit Hydrus back to life and have him be my cool buddy. I liked him, and I want his swordgun.

Hydrus is just another fascist like Gaius or Varis. If he ever returns they only thing waiting for him would suicide via WoL as opposed to suicide via Primal.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This Cat Dad TANKS.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

This Cat Dad TANKS.

Take me now, cat daddy.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

SwissArmyDruid posted:

post-SHB, I still haven't seen any evidence to the contrary that the WoL wasn't Emet's ex in a previous life.
Pretty safe bet. Your player character is definitely being put forward as someone who lived in Amaurot before the sundering. The player is also heavily suggested to have a strong connection to the Amaurot Council (Ascians), and might actually be Venat, the Amaurot council member who went rogue and summoned Hydaelyn in a bid to stop the mass sacrifices required to sustain Zodiark. In the latter circumstance, it makes absolute sense for Hydaelyn to choose the player as her champion of light - who else would support Her in keeping Zodiark from coming back more than the person who basically created Her to banish Zodiark in the first place?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How to best use flourish on bosses? Only single target procs or all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Varance posted:

Pretty safe bet. Your player character is definitely being put forward as someone who lived in Amaurot before the sundering. The player is also heavily suggested to have a strong connection to the Amaurot Council (Ascians), and might actually be Venat, the Amaurot council member who went rogue and summoned Hydaelyn in a bid to stop the mass sacrifices required to sustain Zodiark. In the latter circumstance, it makes absolute sense for Hydaelyn to choose the player as her champion of light - who else would support Her in keeping Zodiark from coming back more than the person who basically created Her to banish Zodiark in the first place?

Have we ever confirmed that the rogue council member was called Venat, or is it conjecture from XII lore and how that ties in with the Ascians?