Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm more an Infocom kind of gamer. I guess that makes me :corsair:-school.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Get off my lawn.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Roommate Dog is good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

First game with multiplayer-specific maps and built with multiplayer in mind from the outset. Also I think they were the first to do IP-based multiplayer? Or to use client/server architecture? I don't really remember but yeah either way it's probably not what the comic meant for "First multiplayer"

I'd argue it's the first one to really make MP a thing. Kind of how Doom wasn't the first FPS but it's inarguably the grandfather of the genre, Quake wasn't the first online MP game but it made online MP what it is today
Quake's more important for its control innovations, since IIRC it's more-or-less responsible for changing things from DOOM-style keyboard to KB+M. But that would have happened inevitably anyway.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:tipshat:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Quake's more important for its control innovations, since IIRC it's more-or-less responsible for changing things from DOOM-style keyboard to KB+M. But that would have happened inevitably anyway.

yeah, but part of that was people realizing how much better it makes you multiplayer, without the competitive push that might not have happened. It wasn't part of the default controls.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

yeah, but part of that was people realizing how much better it makes you multiplayer, without the competitive push that might not have happened. It wasn't part of the default controls.
Oh I thought it was. I just realized I don't think I've ever played the first Quake, just Quake 2 and the original DOOM and Unreal

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh I thought it was. I just realized I don't think I've ever played the first Quake, just Quake 2 and the original DOOM and Unreal

Your memory is correct in that the paradigm of kb+m had become common by quake 1's release(doom 2's development and some design decisions were made with the "mouse-users" in mind because they were dominating doom 1 speedruns and multiplayer), but it hadn't become a standard out of the box control scheme yet

E: oh drat that's loving dope \/\/\/

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Aug 1, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nah, a former pro-gamer who went by Thresh popularized it. One of the patches or something added a batch file you could run that would rebind the controls to his personal setting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

You never know, in another universe dual flightstick controllers could be the PC standard.

TBH I think we got the worse deal

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Skwirl posted:

It wasn't part of the default controls.
IIRC you had to type a command into the console that basically told the game to pretend you were constantly holding down the mouselook key since it wasn't even a toggle. By default you were supposed to hold a button when you wanted to use the mouse to look up and down and then press a different button when you were done to restore your viewing angle to normal.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Who What Now posted:

You never know, in another universe dual flightstick controllers could be the PC standard.

TBH I think we got the worse deal

Hey, at least we're not the universe where the space orb is the default.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dilb posted:

Hey, at least we're not the universe where the space orb is the default.

Gotta go to space?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dual flightsticks is apparently the way to play Star Citizen, soooo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I tried playing Portal with an XBox controller's two thumbsticks and any maneuver involving fast turns is extremely difficult.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I remember playing Quake with keyboard only in multiplayer. That was a trip. It wasn't until Half-Life that I started using keyboard and mouse setup.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Thank God the Nintendo switch finally gave us the perfect control scheme for all games

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Pffft like you can play Star Citizen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RandomFerret posted:

Thank God the Nintendo switch finally gave us the perfect control scheme for all games

Being able to freely hold both halves of the controller is the lazy man's dream.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FFT posted:

This is the only valid controller for playing Star Citizen

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RandomFerret posted:

Being 70 dollars and breaking under casual use is a scheme all right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rolo posted:

Being 70 dollars and breaking under casual use is a scheme all right.

I can't say I am impressed, no. I have only used my Switch for BotW and the latest fire emblem at this point and the left thumb stick is getting stuck in the up position now in a way that can interfere with play. Not exactly strenuous activity.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ChubbyChecker posted:

quake didn't add multiplayer

1/5

I think the idea was that DooM couldn't do online multiplayer, but Quake could?

My family didn't even have the internet then so I have no clue.

Edit: I missed a whole page that already hashed this out.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Aug 2, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hirayuki posted:

It is really weird to me that I've just realised that I've lived through nearly the entirety of PC based gaming. It's loving insane.

Our first computer didn't even run MS-DOS. It was called DR DOS.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

marshmallow creep posted:

I can't say I am impressed, no. I have only used my Switch for BotW and the latest fire emblem at this point and the left thumb stick is getting stuck in the up position now in a way that can interfere with play. Not exactly strenuous activity.

FWIW, they've acknowledged as of a week or two ago that Joycon Drift is a thing, and they're replacing drifting controllers for free regardless of warranty status.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Besesoth posted:

FWIW, they've acknowledged as of a week or two ago that Joycon Drift is a thing, and they're replacing drifting controllers for free regardless of warranty status.
Goddammit, I paid to get mine fixed because I didn't want to just buy a new one and I'm lazy, and that was only a few months ago. Guess I should have moved onto my backlog elsewhere and waited :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I tried playing Portal with an XBox controller's two thumbsticks and any maneuver involving fast turns is extremely difficult.

That was where I first played Portal and had no trouble

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8K08AcVru0&t=620s

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Aug 3, 2019

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Goddammit, I paid to get mine fixed because I didn't want to just buy a new one and I'm lazy, and that was only a few months ago. Guess I should have moved onto my backlog elsewhere and waited :(
They're also refunding anyone who paid for repairs.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Okay it's been bugging me for a while: what comic is the current thread title (for those of you coming to this post after the title has changed, at the time it was "What a rebel, sneaking out when she's already grounded!") a reference to?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Okay it's been bugging me for a while: what comic is the current thread title (for those of you coming to this post after the title has changed, at the time it was "What a rebel, sneaking out when she's already grounded!") a reference to?

A crack someone made at this PBF:
https://pbfcomics.com/comics/shocked/

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Aug 3, 2019

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hm, their cert doesn't cover the www domain. Here's a link that won't make browsers freak out.

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/shocked

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I like that it hasn't been topped in months.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TKIY posted:

Pffft like you can play Star Citizen.

That's a trap I'm not falling for.

except explicitly by responding

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Riatsala posted:

I like that it hasn't been topped in months.

i mean same, but im not complaining

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When PBF is too real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give