Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

Definitely. All components should be colour + icon/shape indicator. Not only is it helpful to those with colour blindness, it adds visual consistency.

I'm not colorblind, but I feel pretty strongly about this also. For many, many games, the burden to design around color blindness is absolutely trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

I'm not colorblind, but I feel pretty strongly about this also. For many, many games, the burden to design around color blindness is absolutely trivial.
I work in visual analytics and colorblind testing is a big loving deal (finally).

I have had to persuade several managers that, no, red/green stoplights are not a good way to display information, and that blue/orange (with icons) is just as intuitive if they need an alternative color scheme for a simple pass/fail indicator.

If you are making a game (or dashboard or whatever) and want to colorblind-test your graphic design, there's a really sweet, free application called Color Oracle that will show you what your design looks like to various types of color blindness.

https://colororacle.org/

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Xiahou Dun posted:

PS I was was rewatching your ancient Left4Dead LP for some reason, don't ask, and it's still really good! Thank you!

drat, thanks, that's made my day! I'm glad it you enjoy it!

And yeah, my GM is always quick to ask if I have any legibility issues on any maps or diagrams or tokens he makes and I'm super lucky to have him. Patterns as well as colours are the easiest way to make it be even more readable to everyone, not just colour blind people. I helped with the first colour-blind mode that was put into LoL and a bunch of the readability improvements ended up getting ported to the default setting when a bunch of pros were using colour blind mode because it was so much easier to see a bunch of stuff for them as well cos the curb-cut effect is real.

Rand Brittain posted:

How do things like the Chuubo icons work out for you?

For me they help a lot! When people talk about it online in some places they'll still talk about "yellow" quests or whatever and then I'm lost, but that's just people versus actual official Chuubo stuff being good.

dwarf74 posted:

If you are making a game (or dashboard or whatever) and want to colorblind-test your graphic design, there's a really sweet, free application called Color Oracle that will show you what your design looks like to various types of color blindness.

https://colororacle.org/

Color Oracle is SUPER good and really does accurately model the various types of colour blindness, I recommend it to every graphic designer I work with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Colorblindness was my first exposure to accessibility back in the 90s, when a classmate noticed our teacher discreetly sniffing a marker before using it. He got the scented ones (are those still a big thing in classrooms or just a fad? I always assumed they were marketed to early grades to help kids learn colors or something) so that he could tell them apart.

It is frustrating. It's one of those that's quite common but is low-enough impact in most things that someone asking for accommodation when it *is* necessary sounds excessive. Particularly when you have folks who get invested in a design before they should so changing that impedes their "artistic vision". We can identify pretty easily with low or no vision, but altered vision hits some sort of empathy gap.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 1, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This 2015 article from Disability Studies Quarterly is focused on video games, but I think is useful as an overview designers and publishers of other digital media including games and electronic documents:
http://dsq-sds.org/article/view/4513/3833

It includes an overview of the legal status (tl;dr, with the exception of communications channels within games, there's no standard or legal requirement to make games accessible, unfortunately), an explanation of why accessibility in games matters, the state of accessibility in then-current games, and perhaps most usefully, an extensive references section with links to a bunch of other resources and info on accessibility in (computer) games.

The DOJ (which for some reason is the dept that manages the ADA standards) has a resource on software accessibility:
https://www.justice.gov/crt/software-accessibility-checklist

You can use basic reasoning to adapt many of the items on the checklist to games. For example:

quote:

23. Does the software ensure that color-coding is never used as the only means of conveying information or indicating an action?
Covers the last few posts' discussion of colorblindness issues, but the checklist includes additional color guidance items for the sight-impaired, such as

quote:

20. Is the software application free of patterned backgrounds used behind text or important graphics?
Display 21. Can a user override default fonts for printing and text displays?
Display 22. Can a user adjust or disable flashing, rotating, or moving displays?
Color 23. Does the software ensure that color-coding is never used as the only means of conveying information or indicating an action?
Color 24. Does the application support user-defined color settings system-wide?
Color 25. Is highlighting also viewable with inverted colors?

In my experience, when you bring up accessibility for the sight-impaired, the first thing designers tend to think of is accessibility for the completely blind; but most visually impaired people have at least some vision, and prefer to access your graphics and visual elements directly if they can. Avoiding issues of contrast, overlapping patterns, and providing options to do things like increase text size.

For example, in PDFs the user can zoom in the page with most readers... but if you have text in your graphics, and the graphics themselves are not embedded at high resolution (e.g. print-res, 300-600dpi or better), it may be impossible for a sight-impaired reader to zoom in and see legible text in a large size on their screen. Merely providing alt-text for screen readers is insufficient to serve the entire range of sight-impaired people, because using a screen reader is awkward and slow, and not preferred for people with some vision who can otherwise manage by zooming in or increasing font sizing on their displays.

Similarly, some readers can replace or switch between a few font choices; but please go ahead and don't use crazily ornate barely-readable display fonts for all your game's titles and headings anyway, because that just creates an additional obstacle and step for accessibility. You can use other artistic elements to express the flavor you wanted to convey on the pages of your game book without creating barriers to comprehension for a portion of your customers.

Of course, there are limits to what is practical. You may be able to easily use graphical elements to make red and green icons or indicators visually distinct, but adding a physical braille component to all your board game's components may be too expensive or difficult. Generally, the intent of accessibility guidelines is that you should make a good effort and reasonable expense to make your products accessible, and I think it's the case that even indie game developers who have very limited resources can do some pretty straightforward things.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 1, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I yearn for the day when all devs put an option in to increase the size of the cursor. My field of view is drastically limited and small cursors have me spinning the mouse around hoping I can glimpse movement to find out where the fucker is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

EthanSteele posted:

drat, thanks, that's made my day! I'm glad it you enjoy it!

Dude, my sister and I watched all of those together and we still have a bunch of dumb in-jokes based around it. I was rewatching it cause I've been going through some stuff and you and baldurk dragging cknoor and Blister across the finish line every single time (then shooting them) stills make me smile. If nothing else in your life, you have made a goon and his little sister double-over in laughter many dozens of times and given them some warm, nostalgic memories.

quote:

And yeah, my GM is always quick to ask if I have any legibility issues on any maps or diagrams or tokens he makes and I'm super lucky to have him. Patterns as well as colours are the easiest way to make it be even more readable to everyone, not just colour blind people. I helped with the first colour-blind mode that was put into LoL and a bunch of the readability improvements ended up getting ported to the default setting when a bunch of pros were using colour blind mode because it was so much easier to see a bunch of stuff for them as well cos the curb-cut effect is real.

For me they help a lot! When people talk about it online in some places they'll still talk about "yellow" quests or whatever and then I'm lost, but that's just people versus actual official Chuubo stuff being good.

Color Oracle is SUPER good and really does accurately model the various types of colour blindness, I recommend it to every graphic designer I work with.

Are you also colorblind, and if so what type? And it sounds like you actually work with graphics? I'd love to know more about it, if you don't mind elaborating. On the one hand I bet that can be troubling, but I'm also thinking back to when I first learned Photoshop and how I kind of felt comfortable with colors for the first : I don't know need to see anything! I can just do this with math! And if I mess up I can just get a random photo and pipette tool the color in and it'll work out. My weird broken eyes don't matter anymore for once!

(Sorry I made this all about color-blindness. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, and as I said it's a pretty minor issue ; it's just such a needless issue that it baffles me why it should be a concern. It's like if everything was always on really high shelves because we just ignored everyone under 5'6".)

Also I ain't never played Chuubo's or read it (mostly cause I don't think I could get it to the table ; I'm into it but I don't know about any of my friends), does it do something super interesting with its icons?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It does uh... something with its icons.

I am sure it does something because they are used a lot.

I just couldn't tell you exactly what it's doing with those icons and what if anything they are supposed to do.

(Also they have symbols, not just colors, so I think it's a bad example regardless.)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

homullus posted:

Ya. Not colourblind either, but it seems like a no-brainer in design and layout.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Ya. Not colourblind either, but it seems like a no-brainer in design and layout.

You'd think that. Like, really. It's very obvious. But no.

Another poster nailed it right on the head when they said it was annoying enough to mess with people but not enough to make anyone care. Unlike things like racism and sexism it's totally trivial to fix (red and green traffic lights? Really? Do you know how many times I've driven and had to ask if a light was blinking red or orange?), but no one does it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I yearn for the day when all devs put an option in to increase the size of the cursor. My field of view is drastically limited and small cursors have me spinning the mouse around hoping I can glimpse movement to find out where the fucker is.

You're may already be aware of this but what the hell, I've been reading this thread for a couple months and want to contribute: if you're running windows you can set the CTRL key to pop up a little retracting circle around the mouse cursor which might help you find it. Or may not! Sure hope it's useful though.

Here's a link to a how-to site which shows how to do it and doesn't seem too shady.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's a serious problem with text size in modern games too, a lot of the time it's criminally tiny and can't be adjusted at all. You'd think console-only games wouldn't have this issue but they totally do.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

There's a serious problem with text size in modern games too, a lot of the time it's criminally tiny and can't be adjusted at all. You'd think console-only games wouldn't have this issue but they totally do.

This kills me. I can fiddle most websites or pdfs to be larger, but games? Might as well be on the hunt for Brigadoon. Windows has a pile of interesting tools but the magnifier, ironically, blocks so much else out in games, that it ends up being somehow worse than nothing at all quite often.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You're may already be aware of this but what the hell, I've been reading this thread for a couple months and want to contribute: if you're running windows you can set the CTRL key to pop up a little retracting circle around the mouse cursor which might help you find it. Or may not! Sure hope it's useful though.

Here's a link to a how-to site which shows how to do it and doesn't seem too shady.

This is nifty! Thank you. Now to argue with the people at work that I need it there.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you also colorblind, and if so what type? And it sounds like you actually work with graphics? I'd love to know more about it, if you don't mind elaborating.

(Sorry I made this all about color-blindness. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, and as I said it's a pretty minor issue ; it's just such a needless issue that it baffles me why it should be a concern. It's like if everything was always on really high shelves because we just ignored everyone under 5'6".)

Yup, I am colour blind, deuteranopia (the type of that where some cones are missing) and then a mix up at the brain end of things as well meaning that colours near each other mess me up too. And nah, I don't work with graphics, I just know a lot of people that do for some reason and they ask me for input or pass on my details to whoever is working on relevant stuff because apparently having literally one colourblind person to check if a thing is ok or not is a novel luxury in a lot of places.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/danielhkwan/status/1156937037888532480?s=09

And yes, the noted pants shitter is trying to get his followers to report this tweet for harrassment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Another poster nailed it right on the head when they said it was annoying enough to mess with people but not enough to make anyone care. Unlike things like racism and sexism it's totally trivial to fix (red and green traffic lights? Really? Do you know how many times I've driven and had to ask if a light was blinking red or orange?), but no one does it.

Once something's established there's a lot of momentum difficulty to changing it, which is why it's important to bring up accessibility early before "we had a reason to do it this way, must have been a good one" rationalization can set in. People are getting better at that, but it's a good place to push. To use a not exactly related analogy, commenting your code while you write it is a LOT easier than going back and doing so afterward, as I've learned the hard way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1157290984125788161

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Never forget.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1157125840532119553

So this was in the replies to the Gencon tweet above. Anyone know more about this? Might be old news for all I know, but it's the first I've heard about it.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Comrade Koba posted:

So this was in the replies to the Gencon tweet above. Anyone know more about this? Might be old news for all I know, but it's the first I've heard about it.

YMMV on the site I'm about to link but the exact comment I'm linking to contains the most info I've seen about this. The article it links to has either been moved or no longer exists.

Enjoy...?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Flail Snail posted:

YMMV on the site I'm about to link but the exact comment I'm linking to contains the most info I've seen about this. The article it links to has either been moved or no longer exists.

Enjoy...?

That thread certainly took a turn at the very end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

That thread certainly took a turn at the very end.

Unsurprisingly, when you attack one of "their" people, the crowd turns on you very quickly.

Also TheRPGSite is generally poo poo. There's like 1 good thread where Benoist makes a megadungeon.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Wow. I kinda wish I'd've read more of that thread before posting so I could maybe not post it. Still, it's pretty much the only snippet of the linked article that exists on the internet now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

https://twitter.com/GreenRoninPub/status/1157399602716454912

So, Green Robin is the place that hasn't published a timeline they promised about harassment policies, iirc? But I know nothing else about them.

E: also 'Fifth Season RPG' should be a specialized storygame designed for stories of slavery and rebellion and devastating losses of control, what style of games do GR produce?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: also 'Fifth Season RPG' should be a specialized storygame designed for stories of slavery and rebellion and devastating losses of control, what style of games do GR produce?

D&D-alikes, by and large.

e; that's slightly reductive, but most of Green Ronin's historical output has been stuff compatible with or based around D&D/d20 systems with their latest home system, AGE, not being d20 but also not straying too far from your typical swords and spells and adventurers paradigm either. They definitely do not have an abundance of specialized storygames, so I wouldn't get your hopes up in that respect.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

They also do the Song of Fire and Ice RPG : Game of Thrones edition. I always wanted to get into it but every time I tried it just wasn't fun, couldn't pin an exact reason why though so it's probably my fault.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 3, 2019

Dec 26, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

They also do the Song of Fire and Ice RPG : Game of Thrones edition. I always wanted to get into it but every time I tried it just wasn't fun, couldn't pin an exact reason why though so it's probably my fault.

There's a lot of stuff I like about it from a "it makes sense why you went this way" perspective but it's pretty bogged down and combat is garbage.

Fun fact, check the author.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Ennies winners. Looks like Chaosium got the most clicky people to click the things.

2020 Judges
Rachel Campbell
Chris Gath
Shawna Ratliff
Guy Sclanders
James Sura

Best Adventure
GOLD: Masks of Nyarlathotep (Chaosium Inc.)
SILVER: Mothership: Dead Planet (Tuesday Knight Games)

Best Aid/Accessory – Digital
GOLD: World Anvil Grandmaster Tier Worldbuilding & Campaign Management Platform
SILVER: DUNGEONFOG—Online Map Maker & Authoring Tool

Best Aid/Accessory – Non-Digital
GOLD: Masks of Nyarlathotep Gamer Prop Set (H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society)
SILVER: Dwarven Forge’s Dungeon of Doom Modular Terrain (Dwarven Forge)

Best Art, Cover
GOLD: Call of Cthulhu – Terror Australis 2E (Chaosium Inc.)
SILVER: KULT: Divinity Lost, 4th Edition (Helmgast AB)

Best Art, Interior
GOLD: RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha Slipcase (Chaosium Inc.)
SILVER: Symbaroum Monster Codex (Free League Publishing)

Best Cartography
GOLD: Forbidden Lands (Free League Publishing)
SILVER: A New Map of Hot Springs Island (Swordfish Islands)

Best Electronic Book
GOLD: Sly Flourish’s Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master (Last Word Audio)
SILVER: Fear’s Sharp Little Needles (Stygian Fox Publishing)

Best Family Game / Product
GOLD: Kids on Bikes (Renegade Game Studios/Hunters Entertainment)
SILVER: Dinosaur Princesses (Ardens Ludere)

Best Free Game / Product
GOLD: Ironsworn (Shawn Tomkin)
SILVER: The Ultraviolet Grasslands (Hydra Cooperative)

Best Game
GOLD: Mothership: Player’s Survival Guide (Tuesday Knight Games)
SILVER: Dialect: A Game about Language and How it Dies (Thorny Games)

Best Layout and Design
GOLD: Symbaroum Monster Codex (Free League Publishing)
SILVER: The Black Hack 2nd Edition (Squarehex)

Best Monster/Adversary
GOLD: Sandy Petersen’s Cthulhu Mythos for 5E (Petersen Games)
SILVER: Creature Codex for 5th Edition (Kobold Press)

Best Online Content
GOLD: Seth Skorkowsky
SILVER: The Alexandrian

Best Organized Play
GOLD: Cypher Play Numenera Season 18-2: Building Amber (Monte Cook Games)
SILVER: Minsc and Boo’s Guide to Stuff and Things (Greg Marks)

Best Podcast
GOLD: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
SILVER: Red Moon Roleplaying

Best Production Values
GOLD: Forbidden Lands (Free League Publishing)
SILVER: Invisible Sun Black Box (Monte Cook Games)

Best RPG Related Product
GOLD: Dark Adventure Radio Theatre: Masks of Nyarlathotep (H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society)
SILVER: Miskatonic University: Restricted Collection (Chaosium Inc.)

Best Rules
GOLD: Call of Cthulhu Starter Set (Chaosium Inc.)
SILVER: Forbidden Lands (Free League Publishing)

Best Setting
GOLD: The Fall of DELTA GREEN (Pelgrane Press)
SILVER: Call of Cthulhu – Terror Australis 2e (Chaosium Inc.)

Best Supplement
GOLD: The Glorantha Sourcebook (Chaosium Inc.)
SILVER: The 7th Ed. Guide to Cthulhu Invictus (Golden Goblin Press)

Best Writing
GOLD: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Rulebook (Cubicle Seven)

Product of the Year
GOLD: Masks of Nyarlathotep Gamer Prop Set (H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society)
SILVER: Forbidden Lands (Free League Publishing)

Fan’s Choice, Best Publisher
Chaosium Inc.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Most of Minsc and Boo's is incompatible with OP. How did it even qualify?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Most of Minsc and Boo's is incompatible with OP. How did it even qualify?

I'm more stupefied that Numenera has organized play

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

01011001 posted:

Fun fact, check the author.

While reading his wikipedia page I discovered he wrote a freaking Black Company campaign setting for D20 systems. It's pretty rare now so fat chance I'll get to read it :saddowns:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PinheadSlim posted:

While reading his wikipedia page I discovered he wrote a freaking Black Company campaign setting for D20 systems. It's pretty rare now so fat chance I'll get to read it :saddowns:
The PDF isn't too hard to find if you can't shell out $100 for a used copy.

The one I want is Dragon's Secret by Jennell Jaquays. She took it down because she doesn't want to support frog god, which I totally get, but I can't even find a PDF.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Interesting that Lancer didn't make the list anywhere.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

Interesting that Lancer didn't make the list anywhere.

Unless I missed something it was only nominated for the Fan's Choice/Favorite Publisher, so it looks like it lost to Chaosium. If it doesn't snag an award for best interior art next year, then something's up because goddamn is that game shaping up to be an unreasonably good-looking book.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PST posted:

Best Writing

Having read the F&F for this, just... :wtc:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Comrade Koba posted:

Having read the F&F for this, just... :wtc:

This is what it was up against:

Best Writing

quote:

Liminal, Wordplay Games

Silent Titans, Swordfish Islands

Troika! Numinous Edition, Melsonian Arts Council

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Rulebook, Cubicle Seven Entertainment Ltd.

It was certainly a more diverse year for nominations, but Chaosium swept the board so completely they must have had a really effective campaign for getting people to do the clicking.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kai Tave posted:

Unless I missed something it was only nominated for the Fan's Choice/Favorite Publisher, so it looks like it lost to Chaosium. If it doesn't snag an award for best interior art next year, then something's up because goddamn is that game shaping up to be an unreasonably good-looking book.

Huh, that is weird. I assumed it just didn't get nominated because it isn't fully released yet, but it being in one catagory disproves that.

I am glad to see that Forbidden Lands won best production values. I guess having a plastic hand in your impenetrable 100 dollar box can only take you so far.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Darwinism posted:

I'm more stupefied that Numenera has organized play

For $200 a year Monte Cook will mail you newspaper clippings, an assortment of matchbooks from defunct restaurants, polaroids of strangers and bespoke red string from the home of a conspiracy theorist that vanished mysteriously. The box itself smells vaguely of farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The PDF isn't too hard to find if you can't shell out $100 for a used copy.

It sounds interesting! Where would I buy a copy? I’m failing at google.