Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

They're political appointees and/or careers in acting roles so they hemmed and hawed about how it's bad that number not go up but made zero conclusions or decisions.

The recommended course of action from the briefers was to increase recruitment efforts with no other deviation in policy or procedure.

You'd think an organization that's managed to waste trillions on broken airplanes would be able to at least hire some overpriced consultants to tell them how to fix their problems (it's them, they're the problems).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

You'd think an organization that's managed to waste trillions on broken airplanes would be able to at least hire some overpriced consultants to tell them how to fix their problems (it's them, they're the problems).

I said I was in the room!

(in the back row quietly sitting)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

psydude posted:

But enough about Boeing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vasudus posted:

thank you for your service

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vasudus posted:

The amount of inertia is incredible. It's like, "we see the number going down, so let's form a committee. The committee will do nothing, but it'll be headed by a 1-star to show everyone we mean business. However, the 1-star will not be empowered to do anything except sporadically write memos to everyone about how seriously they're taking the problem."

Incidentally, I somehow got on the candidate list to go work for the AF Recruiting Service :nah:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Those briefings consume hundreds of working hours to prepare. Often enough with little notice and requiring the coordination of dozens of offices and staff.

It's only been <checks notes> 3 weeks and I do not miss working at the Pentagon.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Those briefings consume hundreds of working hours to prepare. Often enough with little notice and requiring the coordination of dozens of offices and staff.

It's only been <checks notes> 3 weeks and I do not miss working at the Pentagon.

Somewhere out there on a SharePoint server lies a PowerPoint briefing about how much time is spent on PowerPoint briefings.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Somewhere out there on a SharePoint server lies a PowerPoint briefing about how much time is spent on PowerPoint briefings.

That thing has been through at least a dozen iterations and three separate committees have been formed to study the results.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

That PowerPoint surely exists on multiple servers and on many crusty backup tape drives of said servers from migrations and people emailing them to each other.

Also it’s 134MB because it has a bunch of 1080 res .bmp’s embedded in it plus a terrible video

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My client would come out of their office and be like 'so we have to present our data to [listing of last names for ASDs/DASDs] on Wednesday at noon. Final slides are due COB Tuesday.' when it was past 3pm on Monday. And a proper data pull takes like 8 hours because there's three dozen databases. And we can't build the narrative until we do the data pull.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Vasudus posted:

My client would come out of their office and be like 'so we have to present our data to [listing of last names for ASDs/DASDs] on Wednesday at noon. Final slides are due COB Tuesday.' when it was past 3pm on Monday. And a proper data pull takes like 8 hours because there's three dozen databases. And we can't build the narrative until we do the data pull.

Tell me how many databases are down. I'm almost finished.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vasudus posted:

Briefings do not consume working hours, they provide them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Tell me how many databases are down. I'm almost finished.

It's less that the databases are down, more that we need to fill out about six or seven different forms for the data permission then properly declass/sterilize it so we can actually use it. Then we plug it into the model, press the 'graph' button and paste it into powerpoint. Because the data is owned by the services, not OSD, so we can't just instantly get it.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Briefings do not consume working hours, they provide them.

It's true, they're paying for the beer I'm drinking right now.

edit: It's probably one part YOSPOS, one part GIP as to how data sharing agreements work between OSD/NGB/JS/Services but I can't get into it because :nsa: so use your imagination and it's probably correct.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

Do you want Inception? Because that's how you get Inception.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Do you want Inception? Because that's how you get Inception.

brb inserting Inception horn BRAAMs into powerpoint briefings

E: replaced it with the "industry term"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 3, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You haven't lived until you've shared with the world the extremely important and vital message that THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

You haven't lived until you've shared with the world the extremely important and vital message that THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I actually did that in college when I was short a page.
I got a decent grade on the content, and a laugh from the professor. I never pushed my luck again.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

facialimpediment posted:

That poo poo threw me for a loop when I was doing Information Assurance in 2008 having never done DoD work before.

Still don’t understand the point but when in Rome...

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

facialimpediment posted:

Why in the name of god haven't I got that on a T-Shirt. I've written that in the back of every lab book for 25 years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This year I wrote several DoDIs/CJCSIs/CNGBIs and I refused to do that. poo poo is insanely annoying.

It was overruled by the staff action office because that's the policy.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Vasudus posted:

This year I wrote several DoDIs/CJCSIs/CNGBIs and I refused to do that. poo poo is insanely annoying.

It was overruled by the staff action office because that's the policy.

What is the purpose supposedly for that?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nystral posted:

Still don’t understand the point but when in Rome...

It's there to account for double-sided printing. :eng101:

If you're making a guide as a desk-reference that is intended to be printed, you might want the "left" page to be a screenshot of a system with thingies circled/numbered, while the "right" page explains what those thingies are. For how most people automatically print poo poo double-sided, page 1 is a standalone, then pages 2-3 can show at the same time, then pages 4-5, 6-7, etc.

So in a hypothetical guide, pages 1-6 are standalone, page 7 is a blank, pages 8-9 are linked.

If you didn't have a blank page 7, you would have a lot of confused/whining people constantly flipping between page 7 and page 8 (printed on the same sheet of paper) trying to decipher the information. The blank page made 8-9 show at the same time, since they're printed on different sheets.

If it's not designed to be printed double-sided, blank pages are dumb as hell :toot:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 3, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Richard Bong posted:

What is the purpose supposedly for that?

page accountability

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1157452616521191426

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

M_Gargantua posted:

That PowerPoint surely exists on multiple servers and on many crusty backup tape drives of said servers from migrations and people emailing them to each other.

Also it’s 134MB because it has a bunch of 1080 res .bmp’s embedded in it plus a terrible video

you gotta trigger warning this poo poo.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Why are you guys describing the day I had today?

I got out years ago. I know I did. I'm not in the military. I'm not even in the goddamn DoD.

But no, I still deal with the bullshit bureaucracy, idiot co-workers, idiot bosses, people who can't use computers.

I still have to use MyPay, I still have to show that stupid portrait ID card to the gate guard, I still hang out with people wearing military uniforms, and Congress is still trying to gently caress with my pay and retirement.

My house is in a rodent infested shithole that no human being would want to live, so I might as well be in base housing.

I still can't smoke weed.

How did I not get out?

The lesson is this. If you work for the US government, LOL, you're still in.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The best part about being a consultant aside from the pay is the fact that no matter what, the work will end and I'll have to find something new to do.

And also being able to say 'sorry, out of scope' and just not do a lot of bullshit. That part is nice too.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Oh, yeah? Well, at least I get to be :smug: signing off on the invoice paying your company $500/hour knowing you're only going see a tenth of that. HA! Enjoy your six figure salary now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Page intentionally left blank is great because of the double sided thing, and so that when someone hands me a ton of installed paperwork I know whether there’s a page missing or it’s supposed to be blank. It’s not just a military thing.

And half the bullshit y’all complaining about also shows up in the corporate thread. The military ain’t that special.

Copy of Thanks_for-service V2 Mike new colour.xlsx.xls

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Ratcliffe is out for that intel post

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

All research at a Fort Detrick laboratory that handles high-level disease-causing material, such as Ebola, is on hold indefinitely after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the organization failed to meet biosafety standards.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...215db4396d.html

:chloe:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 3, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Page Intentionally Left Blank still be used in large publications is an anachronism because there's been longstanding policies for at least 5 years that printing policy documents is forbidden. At least at all the orgs that I've worked. The printers at the Pentagon won't even print DoDIs off the official library, you have to save it to your computer and print from there as I found out. I don't even think you can request official printed copies anymore.

It's also dumb and I hate it :colbert:

Ceiling fan posted:

Oh, yeah? Well, at least I get to be :smug: signing off on the invoice paying your company $500/hour knowing you're only going see a tenth of that. HA! Enjoy your six figure salary now.

Corporate memes are terrible.

And for content:

That's the Arctic with ice less than 1m in thickness removed as of 31 July 19. This level of melt wasn't anticipated until 2050 or 2070. We're 0-3 years away from a Blue Ocean Event. Don't read the CSPAM climate change thread if you have a problem with existential crisis.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Page Intentionally Left Blank still be used in large publications is an anachronism because there's been longstanding policies for at least 5 years that printing policy documents is forbidden. At least at all the orgs that I've worked. The printers at the Pentagon won't even print DoDIs off the official library, you have to save it to your computer and print from there as I found out. I don't even think you can request official printed copies anymore.

There is an Air Force Tech Order that I update that 100s of intentionally blank pages for diagram spacing. If you have a two page diagram you want them to not be on the backside of each other so you can see both together in an open book. There are only 17 paper copies in the whole world and every maintainer uses the toughbook anyway. Good luck getting the AF to change though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

And for content:

That's the Arctic with ice less than 1m in thickness removed as of 31 July 19. This level of melt wasn't anticipated until 2050 or 2070. We're 0-3 years away from a Blue Ocean Event. Don't read the CSPAM climate change thread if you have a problem with existential crisis.

While this is super loving bad and a clear sign of human-caused climate fuckery, let’s keep in mind that ice coverage swings wildly from year to year, and that this year might not be indicative of next year. Those of you who follow my professional adventures know what I mean.

That being said, we are hosed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This should be roughly the minimum cover for the year, right? I remember doing a normalized index for ice cover and being able to show a decline mathematically, when comparing numbers (derived from satellite data) from recent years to numbers from years further back. I want to say it was the same platform (LandSat 8, maybe?), so it’s not like we were using different sensors that may read slightly different...

:smith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm real close to going off on the biggest climate change denier in my life.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
You should go be as blunt as you can that it is not Jesus or Santa Claus and has nothing to do with anything anybody "believes"

There is evidence. There are trends. Sensible people with or without training as Earth scientists can make interpretations and draw conclusions. Climate change denial is one of the most insidious propaganda campaigns of our time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea it’s not a matter of belief, it’s a matter of understanding. Our generation’s kids are going to be loving pissed once they’re old enough to understand how badly their grandparents hosed up the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea it’s not a matter of belief, it’s a matter of understanding. Our generation’s kids are going to be loving pissed once they’re old enough to understand how badly their grandparents hosed up the planet.

They might not get that old.