Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

You should go be as blunt as you can that it is not Jesus or Santa Claus and has nothing to do with anything anybody "believes"

There is evidence. There are trends. Sensible people with or without training as Earth scientists can make interpretations and draw conclusions. Climate change denial is one of the most insidious propaganda campaigns of our time.
It's probably going to involve publicly quizzing him about science poo poo I know he knows nothing about.

He's still upset about an argument he got in with another guy, who honestly is an rear end in a top hat but that's beside the point, about universal healthcare. He lost bad, but keeps talking about how he "triggered" the other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I honestly blame public education for some of it. But only because in elementary school, we were taught that there's theories and laws and only the laws are universally true. Now, of course in middle school and high school you were taught that no, theories like the theory of evolution are not up for interpretation; or at least not the kind of interpretation that would allow a debate on fundamental levels. But if you were outside of a good, well funded public school district before NCLB came around or your science programs were a joke you never learned that critical second part. Or you did, but you never remembered or retained it because you never paid attention since it was high school.

This is of course one of many things that could contribute to this mindset, but I've personally had to deal with 'if it was really true it would be a law' on several occasions and that was the root cause of it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A friend of mine brought up the point that we should be making public K-12 education funding more of a national issue since it's generally a local/state one, and I kind of agree with him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The paper in my hometown got bought out by Forum Communications about 10 years ago and has been going downhill ever since. In Earth Day the main opinion column they chose to run was from some Heritage Foundation clown who wanted to talk about all the environmentalist "claims" that didn't come true because they were fixed with legislation.

They're planning to start putting most of their poo poo behind a paywall in the coming months and I hope it finally kills them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

colachute posted:

A friend of mine brought up the point that we should be making public K-12 education funding more of a national issue since it's generally a local/state one, and I kind of agree with him.

It absolutely should be. It won't, but it should be. There is so much institutional racism that lives on the back of locally funded education it's loving ludicrous.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lovely public education has got to be the root cause of the majority of this country's problems. We're in Idiocracy but without the awful eugenics message.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I honestly blame public education for some of it. But only because in elementary school, we were taught that there's theories and laws and only the laws are universally true. Now, of course in middle school and high school you were taught that no, theories like the theory of evolution are not up for interpretation; or at least not the kind of interpretation that would allow a debate on fundamental levels. But if you were outside of a good, well funded public school district before NCLB came around or your science programs were a joke you never learned that critical second part. Or you did, but you never remembered or retained it because you never paid attention since it was high school.

This is of course one of many things that could contribute to this mindset, but I've personally had to deal with 'if it was really true it would be a law' on several occasions and that was the root cause of it.

It’s nice to tell theory :words: people that gravity is a theory, and that they should test it out by jumping off a cliff.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're talking about a country that a no-poo poo majority still wholeheartedly believe in the concept of angels and a magical sky man who sometimes makes it all ok

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Christianity is dumb on its own. Christianity as practiced by millions of Americans is considerably worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FrozenVent posted:

Copy of Thanks_for-service V2 Mike new colour.xlsx.xls

This hit SO loving HARD.

Edit: Filename = new thread title please?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

lovely public education has got to be the root cause of the majority of this country's problems. We're in Idiocracy but without the awful eugenics message.

Racism is the root cause of lovely public education.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh and it's really telling that proper climate discourse right now is between two different schools of thought:

the first is that we're megafucked and there's nothing that can stop it

the second is that we're only partially megafucked and that the real megafucking is still down the road and there's nothing that can stop it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I imagine it's a difficult problem to suss out and there almost certainly isn't a single reason why climate change denial is so popular but IIRC the level of higher education doesn't matter. Like, at all. It's about worldview and whether the individual considers themselves a part of something greater or whether they believe that rugged individualist claptrap. I doubt I could find that study and in any case a single study probably isn't a smoking gun on something so complicated

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah there's actual global climate change being caused by industry and humanity as a whole and then on top of that you have localized events from pollution, overfishing/overhunting, clearcutting for livestock, etc. which is ruining local ecosystems independent of the larger global picture. An actual serious, coordinated effort to combat it would be a colossal undertaking. Which is also the reason that nothing will be done because ~shareholder value~

People, politicians, and the media will clump it all together when convenient though and you get idiots screaming about how plastic straws can't possibly be the reason it's so hot out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

maximally cursed video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oou_wMYjqRk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I imagine it's a difficult problem to suss out and there almost certainly isn't a single reason why climate change denial is so popular but IIRC the level of higher education doesn't matter. Like, at all. It's about worldview and whether the individual considers themselves a part of something greater or whether they believe that rugged individualist claptrap. I doubt I could find that study and in any case a single study probably isn't a smoking gun on something so complicated

Many of my science denying coworkers are highly educated, well-off, and have spent decades working with space systems. It’s definitely an issue of propaganda meshing with some broken personal ideology.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Copy of Thanks_for-service V2 Mike new colour.xlsx.xls

Awards\New\Service\2019\Revised\2017\Copy of 2016\Final\Copy of Thanks_for-service V2 Mike new colour.xlsx.xls

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

People, politicians, and the media will clump it all together when convenient though and you get idiots screaming about how plastic straws can't possibly be the reason it's so hot out.
Maybe we need to start kidnapping people who whine about straws, and leave them floating in a tube in the middle of the Pacific Garbage Patch for a while.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
:( Thanks for giving me a whole new reason to get drunk this weekend guys, appreciate it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I love the recurring theme that climate change science is some money grubbing scam cooked up by Al Gore and other liberals

Yeah, buddy. Never mind about the globe spanning all powerful oil&gas multinationals. The real money is in being an oceanography grad student

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
my favorite is people confusing weather and climate

like don't get me wrong folks, i'm a total loving idiot and i can prove that effortlessly

however

comma

you'll never catch me unironically saying that since it's cold out one weekend in september that means climate change is a lie

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vasudus posted:

my favorite is people confusing weather and climate

like don't get me wrong folks, i'm a total loving idiot and i can prove that effortlessly

however

comma

you'll never catch me unironically saying that since it's cold out one weekend in september that means climate change is a lie

Winter: It's cold right now so global warming isn't real.

Summer: Of course it's hot right now, it's summer.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Most of the ones I run into are of the "First we were all gonna die from acid rain, then we were all gonna die from the hole in the ozone layer, then we were all gonna die from Y2K, it'll go away" mindset.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm just glad Florida will get swallowed first. If only PA had shoreline, that miserable garbage fire of a state can go.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

Most of the ones I run into are of the "First we were all gonna die from acid rain, then we were all gonna die from the hole in the ozone layer, then we were all gonna die from Y2K, it'll go away" mindset.

All of those things just got better on their own, with no human intervention apparently. Amazing how that just worked out.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Guys you may have your numbers and your facts but a republican held a snowball in congress in February he had stashed in a freezer overnight so global warming is all a lie. Checkmate LIEbrals

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People wore masks when walking around in LA within the living memory of boomers yet somehow they still deny that people can have an impact on both the cause and solution. What’s really sad is seeing this mindset in 20-30-somethings.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All of those things just got better on their own, with no human intervention apparently. Amazing how that just worked out.

"i thank god every day for it, maybe you should try that instead of telling everybody else what kind of lightbulbs they can use :smuggo:"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I like asking climate deniers when the last time they saw a lightning bug was, that usually shuts them up for a few seconds.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stravag posted:

Guys you may have your numbers and your facts but a republican held a snowball in congress in February he had stashed in a freezer overnight so global warming is all a lie. Checkmate LIEbrals

I really really hate these loving worthless people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A Bad Poster posted:

I like asking climate deniers when the last time they saw a lightning bug was, that usually shuts them up for a few seconds.

They hate insects.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

"i thank god every day for it, maybe you should try that instead of telling everybody else what kind of lightbulbs they can use :smuggo:"

my mother in law bought up every incandescent bulb she could find because no tree hugging hippie is ever going to tell her what she can and cant use

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

EBB posted:

I'm just glad Florida will get swallowed first. If only PA had shoreline, that miserable garbage fire of a state can go.

Mad max but with airboats will look loving amazing if anyone is looking for a silver lining. Southern Georgia won't be safe from raiders

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Fixed through massive legislation (smog laws, thanks epa)

Fixed through massive legislation (banned r12 and R11, phased out others)

Fixed through a massive effort to ensure systems met standards.

gently caress these people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite is the people who are on the bargaining stage of grief, ie it's not going to be THAT bad. My dad's a big fan of saying that people can just move north to Canada and Siberia, which will of course be perfectly hospitable and ready to support billions of people with zero effort.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Yeah, buddy. Never mind about the globe spanning all powerful oil&gas multinationals. The real money is in being an oceanography grad student

:smith: that was my program before going into a GIS certificate program. 3 graduate-level oceanography courses at the same time is...a bit much, to say the least.

A Bad Poster posted:

I don't remember the last time I saw one, and now I'm sad :(

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

my go-to questions for climate deniers (which have all been older people):

what's the worst that happens if i'm wrong?

what's the worst that happens if you're wrong?

will you prove your stance by telling your grandkids that it's a risk you're willing to take?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Investing in resilient, distributed sources of energy ought to be appealing to rugged individualists. Creating massive new industries around renewables ought to make investors salivate. Instead we let the liches in charge of a tiny fraction of our industry dominate us.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fallom posted:

Investing in resilient, distributed sources of energy ought to be appealing to rugged individualists. Creating massive new industries around renewables ought to make investors salivate. Instead we let the liches in charge of a tiny fraction of our industry dominate us.

A lot of those "rugged individualists" have been infected with the idea that fossil fuels are cool and manly, while wind and solar are for effete coastal liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the Venn Diagram for "rugged individualist" and "coal rolling rear end in a top hat" is nearly a perfect loving circle