Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Big Dick Cheney posted:

FEMA tells us that a car can be swept away with as little as 6 inches of water. I imagine its lower for a 2 wheeled vehicle

Depending on the speed of the water, I'd bet you could lose a 2-wheeled vehicle in as little as 2 inches of water.

(Basing this on absolutely no science, but a few decades of riding motorcycles, dirt bikes, scooters and anything else with 2 wheels, and losing control plenty of times due to loss of traction because of water)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

When deployed properly the CAPS system has a fairly low injury rate, something like <%5 per use. It still causes significant damage to the airplane but depending on the situation it's the least lovely option. That's when it's deployed properly. When deployed improperly:

That airplane has airbags built into the seat belts, and the parachute worked:

Wouldn't it be safer to just lower the ground so the plane didn't crash?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/futuristbot/status/1153926545834217472?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Metals transparent, wood opaque... jesus christ is that a neutron image?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I believe most cargo scanners either use neutron activation or gamma rays.

either way those two are having a real bad time

e: I reverse-searched that specific image and it's from a gamma ray scanner

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe they'll get superpowers

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
HULK SMASH SMUGGLE!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sagebrush posted:

I believe most cargo scanners either use neutron activation or gamma rays.

either way those two are having a real bad time

e: I reverse-searched that specific image and it's from a gamma ray scanner

Is the truckfuckler getting any gamma rays? How focused is that scanner?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zipperelli. posted:

Depending on the speed of the water, I'd bet you could lose a 2-wheeled vehicle in as little as 2 inches of water.

(Basing this on absolutely no science, but a few decades of riding motorcycles, dirt bikes, scooters and anything else with 2 wheels, and losing control plenty of times due to loss of traction because of water)

Yeah, the guy is like: "I'm heading straight" but the flood water had other ideas. Not posting the clip, 'cos I'm 99% certain he died in the river.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

Is the truckfuckler getting any gamma rays? How focused is that scanner?

I think it's supposed to shoot in a straight line from the emitter to the detectors. It's a big crane thing that passes along the box so in theory the driver doesn't get any radiation.

In theory.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

U.S. Customs & Border Protection - March 31 2006
"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officers apprehended two Guyanese nationals as they attempted to enter the United States illegally as stowaways aboard an inbound commercial truck. CBP Officers using gamma-imaging technology discovered the two individuals hiding in a container of Styrofoam trays.

"On March 29, 2006, at 12:30 a.m., Mootilan Ramphal, a Trinidadian national with Landed Immigrant Status in Canada, applied for entry into the United States at the Peace Bridge Port of Entry. Ramphal presented a manifest and invoice for Styrofoam trays and window hardware. CBP officers selected the shipment for a secondary enforcement exam. During the course of the inspection, CBP officers utilized the Vehicle and Cargo Inspection System (VACIS), a passive, non-intrusive inspection (NII) device employing gamma-ray technology to produce a high-resolution image of the conveyance's contents (see photo below). The scan produced anomalies consistent with that of stowaways in the nose of the container. A physical inspection of the container resulted in the discovery of two Guyanese nationals commingled within the legitimate freight. Both individuals were taken into custody without incident.

"The two individuals were identified as Bramhadaut Prashad and Debra Appadu, both Guyanese nationals without proper documentation to enter or remain in the United States. Both subjects were arrested on federal charges of illegal entry and conspiracy. Ramphal was arrested on federal charges of alien smuggling. "All three individuals were turned over to agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement for further investigation and prosecution by the United States Attorney's office," stated James Engleman, director, Field Operations for CBP Buffalo Field Office.

"NII systems use advanced imaging and density-detecting technologies in the evaluation of the contents of trucks, containers, cargo, and passenger vehicles to determine the possible presence of many types of contraband. CBP in the Port of Buffalo, as well as many ports throughout the United States, utilize a wide variety of non-intrusive inspection systems. In addition to the mobile VACIS units, CBP Officers utilize rail gamma-imaging systems, radiation portal monitors and personal radiation detectors. "These technologically advanced tools assist CBP officers in executing their primary mission of ensuring terrorists and weapons of terror do not enter the United States," stated Engleman."

Double emphasis on it being a passive device so they should be a-okay? Or is the CBP press release perhaps misleading?

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 3, 2019

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

edit: beaten

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Double emphasis on it being a passive device so they should be a-okay? Or is the CBP press release perhaps misleading?

X-rays are a passive, none-intrusive method of checking if you have a broken bone, because they don't involve a doctor taking a scalpel to you and wrenching your chest cavity apart.

You're still being irradiated.

Now, the Gamma radiation they took could be pretty much harmless, but there's no way to get an image like that without everything getting dosed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"We saw some dudes"
became
"The scan produced anomalies consistent with that of stowaways in the nose of the container. "

Which is cracking me up more than it really should

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Not just that but the image also provides an obvious workaround aka stand near the boxes in the front.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Flargmengo/status/1157075045010857984

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

a kitten posted:

"We saw some dudes"
became
"The scan produced anomalies consistent with that of stowaways in the nose of the container. "

Which is cracking me up more than it really should
smh calling behind the landing gear "the nose"

evil_bunnY posted:

Not just that but the image also provides an obvious workaround aka stand near the boxes in the front.
Its black because that's where all the heavy wall to wall poo poo is to balance the weight toward the tractor, not really something you can stand behind and depending how much you scoot stuff around its going to look suspicious or trash your handling which also looks suspicious but you can blame on poo poo rear end loading crews.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

zedprime posted:

smh calling behind the landing gear "the nose"

I thought the same thing, then saw that there is a small shipping container on the trailer. so the stowaways are in the nose of the container, container is on back half of trailer

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's a lot of infrastructure for one small bucket.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Is there any OSHA training to cover your bar vs a boat coming in at ramming speed?

https://i.imgur.com/OoBFpJB.mp4

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like how she puts her foot out to stop the boat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nenonen posted:

A passive gamma ray scanner (by most definitions) would be a device that picks up gamma rays and records their presence/direction/energy/etc but does not create them itself. Something like a geiger counter.

Customs agents may well use passive gamma devices to try and detect nuclear materials, but there isn't remotely enough gamma radiation just bouncing around outdoors to get an image like that. To get that resolution there has to be an emitter somewhere, and that makes it an active device.

I think calling it "passive" in this case is a typographical error at best and more likely a deliberate attempt at downplaying the radiation at play.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah, gamma ray :rock:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when your child is paying more attention to the road than you are, you should just cut your license in half and sell your car

https://i.imgur.com/j62w320.mp4

(right-click, show controls, turn on sound)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

A passive gamma ray scanner (by most definitions) would be a device that picks up gamma rays and records their presence/direction/energy/etc but does not create them itself. Something like a geiger counter.

Customs agents may well use passive gamma devices to try and detect nuclear materials, but there isn't remotely enough gamma radiation just bouncing around outdoors to get an image like that. To get that resolution there has to be an emitter somewhere, and that makes it an active device.

I think calling it "passive" in this case is a typographical error at best and more likely a deliberate attempt at downplaying the radiation at play.

It’s passive compared to the other methods that CBP uses to examine cargo. Like three foot long steel rods shoved through the cargo at six inch intervals.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Can't they just put people into lead-lined boxes? Seems like it would work fairly well as a disguise. Not comfortable but hey you're already crossing the border illegally.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Private Speech posted:

Can't they just put people into lead-lined boxes? Seems like it would work fairly well as a disguise. Not comfortable but hey you're already crossing the border illegally.
Your loads on a manifest so this only works if you are shipping lead boxes or else guess what you still flag positive on that scan.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hello officer I see you are interested in my shipment of lead coffins. Yes well they are for... chernobyl victims? Oh yes they're still dying so they need these coffins right away.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

The detector that creates the picture is technically passive. Check and mate.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Sagebrush posted:

when your child is paying more attention to the road than you are, you should just cut your license in half and sell your car

Jfc, eyes completely off the road for at least five full seconds at a speed like that. I hope whoever was in the car in front was as lucky as they were.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Here's a detailed report from the NRC health physics nerds going exactly into the question of stowaway dosage from this very system.

TLDR: worst case, if you actually walked along the inside of the truck to keep yourself directly in the beam the dose from one scan would be ~30 mrem, equivalent to two or three chest xrays. Dose would be a small fraction of that if were standing still.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0513/ML051360202.pdf

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Christ. I hope she got loving jail time.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

TLDR: worst case, if you actually walked along the inside of the truck to keep yourself directly in the beam the dose from one scan would be ~30 mrem, equivalent to two or three chest xrays.

If you went at the right speed and pose you could really freak out the guy with the monitor though

I wondered if running the opposite way to the scanner (which moves about a foot a second) would make you too faint to show up, like a ghost, but the paper tested that theory too:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OSHA thread: Human Phantom In It’s Box

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Private Speech posted:

Then they'll see a bunch of lead boxes and assume you're trying to smuggle nuclear material or some poo poo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Joke's on them, you're smuggling lead

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

You can see the white car zigging before the hit just enough to get knocked into the next lane instead of getting accordioned.

Also thank you ICC bumper for avoiding a decapitation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

even after the little kid says "oh no, mommy" the driver doesn't brake or steer. just full steam directly into the stopped car.

cell phones were a mistake

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

This is why I will straight slap the phone out of your hand if I'm in your car and you're driving and trying to play with your phone.

Nah, gently caress that. Pay attention to the goddamn road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

even after the little kid says "oh no, mommy" the driver doesn't brake or steer. just full steam directly into the stopped car.

cell phones were a mistake

Even after the crash she's still got her foot on the accelerator.