Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

he can easily differentiate himself from the other candidates as the only person currently fighting multiple federal criminal charges in multiple states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tylersayten posted:

It really can’t be overstated just how loving sleazy Kamala is in every way.

She's gonna lose her home state in the Primary and it's gonna be funny.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Yup, it sure is. And I'm not putting your anecdotal evidence over the real fact that those Russian facebook ads only got seen by like 400,000 people at most whereas the campaign and media messaging got seen by basically every single voter.

To add to this: the American media gave Donald Trump $2 Billion in free advertising during the 2016 campaign.

American oligarchs are contributing far more to the rise of fascism in America than the Russians could ever hope to.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tylersayten posted:

It really can’t be overstated just how loving sleazy Kamala is in every way.

She's been using endorsements of Bernie's plan as if they were endorsements of her plan, even when said endorsements mention Bernie's M4A bill by number. The whole thing is Trumpian in its brazenness.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MuellerDad69/status/1157523276081573888

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Can someone give me a quick explanation why all these rich idiots want fascism, like they wouldnt be affected in any way, which is wildly untrue?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

Can someone give me a quick explanation why all these rich idiots want fascism, like they wouldnt be affected in any way, which is wildly untrue?

Because they’ll benefit? Yeah they’re gonna get affected, in a good way. When the Nazis took over Germany, factories like BMW could opt into slave labor programs. They didn’t need to pay their workers anymore AT ALL, just imagine the profits off that investment. All they had to do was accept Nazi rule.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zipperelli. posted:

Is it wildly untrue, though?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

SaturdayKnight posted:

Because they’ll benefit? Yeah they’re gonna get affected, in a good way. When the Nazis took over Germany, factories like BMW could opt into slave labor programs. They didn’t need to pay their workers anymore AT ALL, just imagine the profits off that investment. All they had to do was accept Nazi rule.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Unoriginal Name posted:

Human beings are not rational.

wow it seems like that's the problem, and not that one particular food source for their brain worms might or might not have russian origin

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

wow, warren is such a radical and unable to compromise, there's no way she'll be able to build a coalition or get anything done if elected

:sigh: sanders it is, then

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Trump stokes racial tensions and makes racially-charged remarks and has a racially-obsessed brain, yes, but, number go up, so it is impossible to say that Trump is Hitler or is Bad or that Hitler was Bad

crazy cloud fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 3, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
always blame the voters first

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

kyberkatze posted:

This work?

drat right it does :liberalism:

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 4, 2019

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Hitler pulled the American economy out of the great depression, and

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

crazy cloud posted:

Trump stokes racial tensions and makes racially-charged remarks and has a racially-obsessed brain, yes, but, number go up, so it is impossible to say that Trump is Hitler or is Bad or that Hitler was Bad

wow such rampant anti-semitism!!!!!! how can we possibly have a discussion with the nazis if you keep calling them nazis

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

Capitalism is killing the planet, so their current options are to shift the blame to undesirables and keep their money, allow themselves to be heavily taxed to fund government programs to address the problems, or have their heads inserted into a guillotine.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mormonpartyboat posted:

wow such rampant anti-semitism!!!!!! how can we possibly have a discussion with the nazis if you keep calling them nazis

we can have an extremely productive conversation with the nazis! all we need to do is speak the language the nazi understands, which is aaaa, not, a verbal kind of language but more of a richard spencer gif kind of language

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Chilichimp posted:

Everyone on this earth has been fooled by an urban legend, a lie, or some kind of propaganda at some point... and those things stick in your mind for years.

How old were you the last time that you realized X thing your parents said to you was a loving lie? How old were you the last time someone linked you to a snopes article debunking a thing you thought was true?

It's not about 1 meme. It's not about some shitheaded old boomer or "some fat guy in a basement" (or whatever dumb-rear end stereotype you wanna make to blame humanity's failings on). It's like background radiation. The more of it you're exposed to, the worse off you get.

on the contrary

what it's about is people who think the Truth of minutia is important in some way. like dipshits arguing about the exact correct term for the techno they listen to (its drumblestrep), as if finally asserting and getting agreement on the Truth matters. people who think that obama secretly had allahu ackbar on a ring care about it because we as a culture insist that having a myriad of anecdotal bits buttresses an argument. as if you can accumulate enough microtruths to be unstoppable

which is also why people shy away from broad, universal truths like "trump bad" and like to argue dogshit like "ok given trump bad, is he technically a nazi or". they can't stand the obligation of action, and immediately retreat to Doing Something by loving around with definitions

shithead boomers doing that through facebook ads is functionally no different than posters here listening to a woke podcast - they both make the person feel like they are Contributing, by asserting that one only needs to Acknowledge Truths to do so

throw all that poo poo out and go 'hm i dont give a gently caress about that' to more things in your life and the entire concept of getting fooled disappears

namaste

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

wow, warren is such a radical and unable to compromise, there's no way she'll be able to build a coalition or get anything done if elected

:sigh: sanders it is, then

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Zipperelli. posted:

The early 20th century fascist movements were incredibly anti-labor and had a habit of kicking out foreign capital in favor of domestic capital. It's also an incredibly effective system of social control.

More importantly they're not exactly opening up the governments menu in a Civilization game and selecting Fascism on the dropdown menu. What we see is just a natural evolution of American Conservatism.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
:(

America is doomed because we have ~50% of the country willing to deepthroat a boot with zero shame.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If I was cynical, I would say this is the perfect opportunity for Beto to realize he can do more good in the senate and lead gun reform there, and drop out of the presidential race so he can win Texas.

This goes for half the other white dudes going nowhere but especially for Beto.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

John Delaney is an embarrassment to my state of Maryland

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
more like john delamey

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/BrennanCenter/status/1156938230496931840?s=19

Every candidate needs to make ending voter suppression a major part of their platform, if it's even possible to win in 2020 with Republicans pulling off stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1157365314197213186?s=19

:psyduck:

Voters aren't ideological.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tir McDohl posted:

Not coming directly from the campaigns actually make the messages reach people they wouldn't normally. I was trying to convince a mostly apolitical roommate of mine to vote in 2016 and then he started spouting off certain conspiracy theories as his reason for not being interested in voting at all, as dangerous as Trump seemed (and hey, I'm sorry, but I'm not the most persuasive person by myself). It was later revealed during the investigation into foreign interference that the posts that led him to losing interest were made by the Internet Research Agency.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but you don't have to be an old boomer who was going to vote for a Republican anyway to be tricked by foreign propaganda.

Edit: I'm taking no sides in the debate about Kamala Harris, I am only responding to people trying to downplay the effects of "a few people in Moscow posting on the internet"

Which conspiracy theories?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Free the TOXXERS!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ice Bern:

https://twitter.com/meganmesserly/status/1157743995428040704

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

If I was cynical, I would say this is the perfect opportunity for Beto to realize he can do more good in the senate and lead gun reform there, and drop out of the presidential race so he can win Texas.

This goes for half the other white dudes going nowhere but especially for Beto.

idk if Beto is helping or hurting his chances at Senate by staying in this presidential race.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

idk if Beto is helping or hurting his chances at Senate by staying in this presidential race.

the moment he drops and goes back he's gonna be met with a million "oh look, the loser's come crawling back" attacks and they won't be wrong

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's possible Hickenlooper might be considering dropping out of the race to run for Senate.

https://www.coloradopols.com/diary/125384/hick4senate-new-domains-signal-big-moves-in-senate-race

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/mattkbh/status/1157324140476391426?s=20

So this map keeps getting passed around. How much of the solid red wall of Beto is because of his old senate campaign donations? Does that get counted up?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Chilichimp posted:

The six or so people outside of Texas who even know who Beto is are all laughing at him so I can't imagine humiliating himself on a national stage is gonna help his career.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 3, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Avenetti joins I gotta figure he's going to sling dirt left and right to make position for himself. I don't know how he wins or gets far but it seems like things would get dirty as hell.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Nah. Barring some unforeseen scandal, Biden is going to lead all polls on the basis of electability until the first primary where he underperforms and that image is shattered. Then he will fade.

I hope so but I want to point out how much the goalposts have moved. We went from "Biden will implode as soon as he announces" to "Biden will implode after his announcement bump fades" to "Biden will implode when the public finds out he doesn't give fuckall about women's boundaries" to "Biden will implode when he gets attacked by other candidates" to "Biden will implode when he starts sundowning at debates."

Now we're predictably at "Biden will implode because he will lose IA or NH" and my questions for anyone who thinks that are the following: (1) what evidence justifies the belief that Biden will lose IA or NH that couldn't also apply to some of the above campaign milestones? And (2) did you think the whole time that IA or NH would be what wrecks Biden or have you been repeatedly underestimating how durable his support is?

Full disclosure, I've also made bad predictions about the race, like thinking neolib candidates wouldn't attack Biden in debates. But I really want to understand the thinking of anyone who has confidence that the Democratic party isn't dominated by moderate, Obama-nostalgic boomers who will put Biden over the top.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Epicurius posted:

It's possible Hickenlooper might be considering dropping out of the race to run for Senate.

https://www.coloradopols.com/diary/125384/hick4senate-new-domains-signal-big-moves-in-senate-race

In the end even Hickenlooper embraces the blackpill

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Armack posted:

I hope so but I want to point out how much the goalposts have moved. We went from "Biden will implode as soon as he announces" to "Biden will implode after his announcement bump fades" to "Biden will implode when the public finds out he doesn't give fuckall about women's boundaries" to "Biden will implode when he gets attacked by other candidates" to "Biden will implode when he starts sundowning at debates."

Now we're predictably at "Biden will implode because he will lose IA or NH" and my questions for anyone who thinks that are the following: (1) what evidence justifies the belief that Biden will lose IA or NH that couldn't also apply to some of the above campaign milestones? And (2) did you think the whole time that IA or NH would be what wrecks Biden or have you been repeatedly underestimating how durable his support is?

I agree with you that anybody who thinks Biden is destined to fail is seriously deluded, but pre-primary polling isn't exactly ironclad and IA and NH results have an outsized impact on the rest of the primary.

If Biden gets dumpstered in the initial primaries, whoever beats him has a solid shot at the nomination.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Biden is going to fall and break a hip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Terror Sweat posted:

Biden is going to fall and break a hip

Biden is going to challenge Tump to how many hips they can break while falling live on stage.

It will have more voter impact than every debate.