Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Honestly, which models are bad buys right now?

'cause I'm still looking at the 1660. Non-Ti. I'm running a 750Ti as is and it's getting a bit long in the teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically any factory overclocked one that charges 100 dollars for something you could do in 30 minutes yourself with overclocking tools.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

craig588 posted:

Basically any factory overclocked one that charges 100 dollars for something you could do in 30 minutes yourself with overclocking tools.

The one I'm considering pulling the trigger on is the Palit one, currently 204 euro (plus 25% instead of 19% tax) (so 213 euro).

Factory overclocked overpriced garbage is obviously bad, but yeah, I'm in Finland and mostly shop on Amazon DE due to location.

EDIT: I'm not planning to overclock at all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

craig588 posted:

I'd only caution that approach because the factory overclocked ones are all higher binned chips that allow for higher clocks. If you buy the cheapest of any model you're going to get the silicone that doesn't overclock well.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

I'd only caution that approach because the factory overclocked ones are all higher binned chips that allow for higher clocks. If you buy the cheapest of any model you're going to get the silicone that doesn't overclock well.

I thought that ever since pascal Nvidia has been keeping the best chips for Founders Edition cards

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VostokProgram posted:

I thought that ever since pascal Nvidia has been keeping the best chips for Founders Edition cards

No FE 1660s at the very least. I thought I heard they were stopping doing that too, but I don't remember when or where so I might be making it up.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

No FE 1660s at the very least. I thought I heard they were stopping doing that too, but I don't remember when or where so I might be making it up.

Yeah, it's pretty much just the 2070/2080/Ti that ended up with binned variants. The 2060s didn't, and neither did the 16 series cards. I can't find confirmation on the Super cards, but I suspect they don't either.

Often factory overclocked models also come with better cooling and custom PCBs with higher power limits. In practice that usually only gives 1-3% more overclock performance than low and mid-tier models, so it's not really worth a large premium. Entry-level models generally have worse/louder cooling and lack zero-rpm modes, though Turing has generally been better than previous generations. For most people the best value is whatever's the cheapest mid-tier dual or triple-fan option with a zero-rpm mode.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 2, 2019

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

everyone posted:

wait for the new gen of cards

Cheers. I do find myself having to drop a slider here and there on some of the more modern stuff, but it doesn't bug me overmuch when I have to do that. I'll wait for the new stuff.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Wondering if this might be the thread to ask, as it's GPU-related: are there any good GPU testing utilities out there? (Looking for something like Memtest 86+, but for GPUs).

I'm having some BSOD issues and while I'm 99% sure it's the SSD, I'd like some kind of diagnostic tool to run on my GPU to rule that out for sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zarin posted:

Wondering if this might be the thread to ask, as it's GPU-related: are there any good GPU testing utilities out there? (Looking for something like Memtest 86+, but for GPUs).

I'm having some BSOD issues and while I'm 99% sure it's the SSD, I'd like some kind of diagnostic tool to run on my GPU to rule that out for sure.

There isn't really anything fantastic unfortunately - I always find that games stress the GPU more than anything synthetic I can find. A lot of the stresstests seem built off the Furmark engine which you can google. 3dMark also has stress tests built in.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VelociBacon posted:

There isn't really anything fantastic unfortunately - I always find that games stress the GPU more than anything synthetic I can find. A lot of the stresstests seem built off the Furmark engine which you can google. 3dMark also has stress tests built in.

Ironically, most of the crashes happen when I'm NOT playing a game, and am just browsing the web.

Only one crash happened during a game, and it was when I was trying to quit to desktop.

If it was the GPU, you'd expect that it would crash mid-test, then?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zarin posted:

Ironically, most of the crashes happen when I'm NOT playing a game, and am just browsing the web.

Only one crash happened during a game, and it was when I was trying to quit to desktop.

If it was the GPU, you'd expect that it would crash mid-test, then?

Have you overclocked the GPU at all? I'd start with pulling the memory overclock completely and seeing what happens.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VelociBacon posted:

Have you overclocked the GPU at all? I'd start with pulling the memory overclock completely and seeing what happens.

I don't think so; I generally leave cards at whatever they shipped from the factory from. That said, I did have the EVGA Precision XOC software installed, so I pressed the "default" button on it; if I had something overclocked, I imagine that should clear it.

I just looked for 3dmark, but that appears to want money, so now I'm off to see if I can't find Furmark. I also saw several Reddit posts suggesting some Heaven benchmarking tool.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zarin posted:

I don't think so; I generally leave cards at whatever they shipped from the factory from. That said, I did have the EVGA Precision XOC software installed, so I pressed the "default" button on it; if I had something overclocked, I imagine that should clear it.

I just looked for 3dmark, but that appears to want money, so now I'm off to see if I can't find Furmark. I also saw several Reddit posts suggesting some Heaven benchmarking tool.

Uninstall EVGA Precision entirely and see if you still get crashes. Can you describe the crashes you're getting?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you think it's the SSD, you should replace the sata cable and take the discussion to the troubleshooting thread. Also what's your error code, also, try turning off hardware acceleration in your browser.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VelociBacon posted:

Uninstall EVGA Precision entirely and see if you still get crashes. Can you describe the crashes you're getting?

So far, the BSOD crashes I have seen are:
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Running Furmark now and it has the GPU pegged at 100% power load with no issues. Not sure how long I'll run it for, though.

LRADIKAL posted:

If you think it's the SSD, you should replace the sata cable and take the discussion to the troubleshooting thread. Also what's your error code, also, try turning off hardware acceleration in your browser.

Yeah, I found a thread that sounded EXACTLY like what I'm experiencing, and the immediate response was "sounds like a bad SATA controller". I already swapped cables (though I don't think I swapped motherboard ports), so if/when it goes down again, I'll find a new SATA port to plug it into.

At any rate, if it keeps up, I'll go post a Tech Support thread. Just figured I'd ask in here about dedicated GPU diagnostic utilities, since I figured if any exist, this thread would know. Sounds like there isn't really something like what I'm looking for, though. :(

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Best way to test your graphics card is to run the game that experiences issues in this case. If the game has a demo, bench or test mode, all the better. I don't see an easy to find list... umm, Tomb Raider, probably DOOM, Grand Theft Auto 5... some of these might even have looping demos. Not sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BSOD doesn't indicate GPU to me unless it only happens when the GPU is in the PC. Generally gpu crashes can prevent a full system lock.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ended up getting a 2060s over a 2070s mostly because the micro center didn't have one and the other because we'll I couldnt justify paying 130 bucks more for a few extra frames going from a 3600 to a 3700x so paying another $150 extra for the 2070s also didn't feel right. I should have brought my old 980ti with me in the plane instead

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So is there another mining craze or something that justifies the fact that i can’t seem to find a 2060/2070 super in stock anywhere ?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly, which models are bad buys right now?

'cause I'm still looking at the 1660. Non-Ti. I'm running a 750Ti as is and it's getting a bit long in the teeth.

I was faced with exactly the same problem and ended up replacing my 750Ti with a used 1070. Of course that's a significant heat/power increase, too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bonobos posted:

So is there another mining craze or something that justifies the fact that i can’t seem to find a 2060/2070 super in stock anywhere ?

just plain high demand and low supplies. At microcenter today there where like 6-7 people gobbling up the cards in the half hour I was there and they ran the entire gamut of age groups. Even little kids dragging their parents to buy them a computer for what I assume is fortnite only

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

just plain high demand and low supplies. At microcenter today there where like 6-7 people gobbling up the cards in the half hour I was there and they ran the entire gamut of age groups. Even little kids dragging their parents to buy them a computer for what I assume is fortnite only

That’s the frustrating part. I live an hour away from the Tustin MC and they never seem to have any stock on their website either for in store pickup or in general in store only. If I knew I can pick one up I’d make the drive but I’m hesitant to drive an hour each way to come back empty handed because they can’t figure out how to make their inventory system reflect their own online website.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bonobos posted:

That’s the frustrating part. I live an hour away from the Tustin MC and they never seem to have any stock on their website either for in store pickup or in general in store only. If I knew I can pick one up I’d make the drive but I’m hesitant to drive an hour each way to come back empty handed because they can’t figure out how to make their inventory system reflect their own online website.

If you see one in stock online, add it to your cart and do in store pickup. They reserve the item for like three days.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Symetrique posted:

If you see one in stock online, add it to your cart and do in store pickup. They reserve the item for like three days.

They are not allowing online pickup of super cards yet because of the demand

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Metro: Exodus is blowing me away graphically, good gameplay too. RTX functions work very well in it, even on a 2070 you can have great framerates with raytracing enabled. I am not sold on the DLSS necessarily. It has an impact on image quality, but perhaps a larger impact on improving performance if you are running at a higher resolution than your card can handle, I guess. It is not terrible looking and I was very impressed with the game with it on at 1440p until I turned it off at 1080p and just raised the internal shader resolution a bit instead. Looks sharper this way. However I understand its best usage cases are probably at higher resolutions where cards struggle more, not at aiming for a 1440p render target and downscaling to 1080p for display.

RTX though, wow. Not that 4E's global lighting is bad, or that the game wouldn't be visually impressive regardless - but the difference when playing and moving, and in areas with subtleties to the lighting is pretty large and IMO quite in favor of the RTX feature. I hope to see more raytracing in games whether it's an nVidia thing or not.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Had a few bunch of hardlocks since swapping the 1070, which had none in forever, for the 2070S. I guess that's that.

--edit: Oh nice, it's a specific scene in the Gianni Versace season of American Crime Story that fucks up the HEVC hardware decoder. :suicide:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 5, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

XFX is launching two Radeon RX 5700 (XT) designs: the RAW2 and THICC2

:lol:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
THICC because it's yet another 2.7 slot card?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That article had one of the funniest advertising content-matching faux pas I’ve seen in a while:

ITW introduces battery powered eGPU to help airports reduce carbon footprint

quote:

To support the green airports and a better working environment for the airport staff, we are introducing the ITW GSE 7400 eGPU GPU. A battery powered 400 Hz unit that will help airports reduce their carbon foot print, replacing their diesel powered GPUs by clean eGPUs.

Took me at least a double-take.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

now thats a GPU *tim the toolman grunting noises*

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
That shroud :allears:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Put a couple of floating white faces with surprised expressions over that image and you have a perfect YouTube clickbait thumbnail.

"NEW GPU RUINED OFFICE???"

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

now thats a GPU *tim the toolman grunting noises*

Had to figure out what this thing was. It's a ground power unit designed to power the plane while it's engines aren't running.

Now THAT'S a battery backup.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my first thought was "christ, back to that lovely naming convention again"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Followed by the super-enthusiast quad-fan model, OH LAWD HE HUMMIN'

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oh lawd, he boostin'.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dat 1950’s Buick aesthetic

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'M TRYING TO COMPUTE PIXELS BUT I'M DUMMY THICC AND THE CLAP OF MY FAN BLADES KEEPS ALERTING NVIDIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dat 1950’s Buick aesthetic

The chrome is 50s but the gaping maw look is contemporary af