Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I've still been looking on autotrader and discovered the Hyundai Elanta GT "N Line" hatch.....Anyone know anything about these? It looks really sweet.

I'm assuming it's got the same drivetrain as the Veloster turbo, but there aren't many of them around with a manual, closest one is 180 miles away.

[e] apparently the autos are DCT! wow might have to drive one.

I have the 2018 Sport which is basically the same thing, and I really like it. The dual clutch isn’t VW smooth but it’s not bad and I’m glad I got it. The panoramic moonroof is awesome, and that only comes with the dual clutch.

Happy to answer any specific questions or let you drive it if you’re in the area. I think I posted pics earlier in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I've still been looking on autotrader and discovered the Hyundai Elanta GT "N Line" hatch.....Anyone know anything about these? It looks really sweet.

I'm assuming it's got the same drivetrain as the Veloster turbo, but there aren't many of them around with a manual, closest one is 180 miles away.

[e] apparently the autos are DCT! wow might have to drive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SciJbdH-4
Seems like a fun car.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I've driven a '18 GT Sport about 40 miles and test-driven both the manual and DCT N Lines. For the price, the car is really great. It's basically the same chassis and drivetrain as the Velosters but a couple hundred pounds heavier with more cargo room, an additional door, better visibility and a nicer interior. It's definitely not a hot hatch by modern standards. Merely warm but the engine seems reasonably well explored and the aftermarket can give you a decent amount of easy additional power. Like most factory turbo cars, a tune does wonders (especially since the engine is tuned for 87 octane from the factory). All that said, the power is sufficient to have fun and there's torque everywhere.

I'm in the market right now and I was originally looking at the Veloster N, CTR and maaaaaybe the Golf R but for where I live and my daily driving those cars are complete overkill. I'm going to buy an Elantra N Line, throw some mild engine mods on it and call it done. When I live somewhere that has more opportunities for spirited driving, I'll probably get a Veloster N. In the meantime, the Elantra N Line is the best choice for the stop-and-go, no curves, gridlocked driving hell I currently live in.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I wouldn’t recommend tuning a Hyundai if you want to keep your nice engine warranty. From the forum skimming I’ve done, Hyundai take a dim view. May as well get something used and cheaper rather than taking a significant depreciation hit without even getting the benefit of the warranty.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I wouldn’t recommend tuning a Hyundai if you want to keep your nice engine warranty. From the forum skimming I’ve done, Hyundai take a dim view. May as well get something used and cheaper rather than taking a significant depreciation hit without even getting the benefit of the warranty.

You're not wrong of course. My finances are healthy in every other respect, so I allow myself the indulgence of doing dumb poo poo with cars.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Why not start with something more mod friendly then? I love my car but I’ve got other things to scratch the speed/mod itch with. I don’t think I’d have bought it if I planned to mod at the outset.

Also, once it’s broken in it gets a bit smoother, after 7500mi I still don’t feel the need to mod.

Bonus pic of the Elantra with my two fun cars.

E: awful app is sometimes awful

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 22, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well after lots of thought and car driving, the wife and I decided to wait until I get a settlement from my accident to get a new car because we don't want another car payment right now. My credit needs work, so it's probably not a good idea because my rates are gonna suck anyway. So I'm gonna get something with cash from the payout of my totaled xB for now (around 8k probably), and when I get the money from the dumb drunk bitch I'm suing I'll pay cash for a new car. I'm pretty sure it will be the Honda, although when I get a chance I definitely want to drive the Hyundai. Unless the payout is REALLY good I might go for a GTI Rabbit edition because those are pretty drat sweet but juuuust a bit more than I really wanted to spend. So we'll see, I just might up with a hot hatch after all.

Thanks guys for all the help, gonna stay tuned to this thread for sure.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I stopped by the local dealer intending to at least look at and sit in the new FiST they showed as being in their inventory. The car wasn't there, and they didn't know anything about it.

Offered to get me a '17 from TN with 2000 miles or something for "low 20's" LOL.

I bought back my warm hatch (matrix XRS) from the coworker who I sold it to, two years ago, so I'll just catch it up on deferred maintenance and keep my eyes open. Love being back in a small car.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

I stopped by the local dealer intending to at least look at and sit in the new FiST they showed as being in their inventory. The car wasn't there, and they didn't know anything about it.

Offered to get me a '17 from TN with 2000 miles or something for "low 20's" LOL.

I bought back my warm hatch (matrix XRS) from the coworker who I sold it to, two years ago, so I'll just catch it up on deferred maintenance and keep my eyes open. Love being back in a small car.

Oh man you gotta find one- they're insanely fun, cheap, and reliable if you can deal with being in a car that small

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man you gotta find one- they're insanely fun, cheap, and reliable if you can deal with being in a car that small

It feels faster than it is, it's capable as hell on twisty roads, reasonably comfortable if you aren't a giant, and gets good gas mileage. It's the best car I've ever owned, and when this one dies in ten or twenty years I'm going to cry.

After 70k, the gloves are off. I've got the income to do really, really quite stupid things.

E: you can get one all day for 14k at 30-40k miles. They can suck a fart.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 26, 2019

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Update on the GTI after 4 weeks is that I love it and so does my wife. Its getting just under 39 MPG highway and just over 33 MPG overall, while accelerating fast enough to make passing a breeze and just being a genuinely fun car to drive.

Apple CarPlay is also super easy to use and really improves the experience.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Update on the GTI after 4 weeks is that I love it and so does my wife. Its getting just under 39 MPG highway and just over 33 MPG overall, while accelerating fast enough to make passing a breeze and just being a genuinely fun car to drive.

Apple CarPlay is also super easy to use and really improves the experience.

The new CarPlay on ios13 owns too

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My GTI is the first car I've owned with gadgets - back up camera, Android Auto, Sirius, etc, and it's hilarious how fast I went from "Who needs this crap" to :getin:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah my Veloster is the first car I've had with back up cam and I immediately turned into Guy Who Backs Into Spaces

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Backup cams, android auto, autodimming mirrors and heated and cooled/ventilated seats are my "who needs this crap... Wait, I do!"

Also, living in the frozen north I'm a sucker for a full glass roof / panoramic sunroof. I can see how it would be a hindrance if you live somewhere like Phoenix where the sun wants to fry you alive.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
i bought a new GTI and I feel like carplay is really the killer app, I wouldn't have thought it before I bought a car, but I'm sure glad the one I got came with it, since I wouldn't have purposely looked for it. I am not a fan of the other stuff and have turned off most things like front sensor for car distance, blind spot sensors, etc. Carplay though is great.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Does CarPlay work via Bluetooth? I'm loving Android Auto but I didn't realize I was gonna have to plug my phone in to use it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nope

you can still use BT for whatever you want but for the full carplay experience you gotta plug it in

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It kills the utility for short trips but it's very handy on road trips or longer drives. Google maps is the best navigation system in a car. You get the added benefit of charging your phone at the same time at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I really dislike not having Android Auto in my M3 enough that I've seriously considered buying the $600 kit that lets you have it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
What utility do you need the phone to be untethered for that carplay/AA doesnt provide? You can call, use various music/podcast apps, maps, etc. all with voice commands or the touchscreen. I have never felt the need to grab my phone a bunch once its plugged in, unless I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and wanted to text something I guess.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

New CarPlay on iOS lets you use a different screen on your phone than what is being displayed by the head unit. Owns for passengers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

What utility do you need the phone to be untethered for that carplay/AA doesnt provide? You can call, use various music/podcast apps, maps, etc. all with voice commands or the touchscreen. I have never felt the need to grab my phone a bunch once its plugged in, unless I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and wanted to text something I guess.

Texting via voice commands is an exercise in frustration with AA for me. Message turns into garbled mess, I say to just send it anyway after 3 attempts and it sometimes does not send (don't get the confirmation of "message sent" so then nothing happens). In general if I can't use the buttons to do what I want then it turns into anger.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I intended more along the lines of having to remove it from your pocket, plug it in, not forget it when you get to your destination, and then the same process when you get back in. On really short trips it's more of a hassle than the benefit of having AA/CP display on your head unit. In those cases Bluetooth is fine for audio and calling.

It would be more seamless to just get in and not have to touch your phone at all, but you lose out on charging if that option were possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Until they turn the whole seat into a Qi charger...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
*sound of eggs frying*

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah, it's the most First World Problems poo poo but with the advent of keyless entry/push button start, the experience of having to take my phone out of my pocket and find the end of the USB cable and set the phone in the little tray that it's gonna fly out of if I push the gas too hard and then later realizing I left my phone in the car, it all just feels like two steps forward and one step back.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think some cars are supporting Bluetooth Carplay, at least Apple has instructions how to use it wireless. Too bad mine isn't that, but it's still the best car feature because without it, the infotainment is not all that interesting.

Edit: Also here's my car since this is the Hot Hatch thread, very fun to drive, boring black. I almost got a green color, but kind of shied away from it at the last minute.

https://imgur.com/xempGlz

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 29, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of, when is the new Android Auto coming out? Wasn't that supposed to be this summer?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't seen it yet in the new AndroidQ yet. Might be in October or something.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Google typically launches the annual release of Android in October, along with new Pixel phones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Apparently it just started rolling out.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Just fit à 6ft bookshelf in my fist. Take that, Honda fit

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I've been waffling on what to do with my 16 WRX. I'm pretty bored with the car, even though I've got most bolt-ons currently on it. Originally, I thought an E9X M3 would fit the bill, but I'm just not ready to deal with the BMW tax with a potential house in my future - cash flow is kind of the essence.

So I think either a Type R or Focus RS might be the next car I seriously look at rather than going ethanol on the WRX, which is now really playing with fire on those lovely con rods in the FA.

For a Type R - I know that it has a problem with overheating, but from what I can tell that's only with some serious track abuse. I'm not even sure if anyone has one in AI - but I'd love to hear your experience with it!

The Focus RS is the clear choice here since it also has AWD and I honestly prefer that. The Focus is super intriguing since it seems like it's rear biased and less understeery than Subarus. But the headgasket issues and supposed bad ride quality are concerning. There's a local 2016 with 23K miles going for 31K which doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this - 350HP stock on the Ecoboost is pretty hefty and it looks like it takes to tunes pretty well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I daily drive my Civic R but have never taken it to the track nor modded it unless you count floor mats. I might not be very helpful, but ask me anything.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

I daily drive my Civic R but have never taken it to the track nor modded it unless you count floor mats. I might not be very helpful, but ask me anything.

How's it been treating you reliability wise? Have you found any downsides to owning one? How bad (if bad at all) is the torque steer?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dk2m posted:

How's it been treating you reliability wise? Have you found any downsides to owning one? How bad (if bad at all) is the torque steer?

Reliability no problems; I change oil every 5K and get the rest of the maintenance done right on schedule and it hasn't let me down after 15 months and 30,000 miles. Biggest downside is the front splitter makes the car low enough to scrape on the bottoms of ramps more than I like, though it's all been on the bottom surface so far so I don't have to look at my mistakes. The tire/wheel combo is unsuitable for the poor conditions of US roads; I took a pothole in January on a local interstate that destroyed the front passenger tire, slightly damaged the wheel, and disrupted the suspension to the point that caster is now out of spec. If you can find some FK2 wheels get those and get an inch more sidewall between you and the road; they have the same geometry as what comes on the FK8 (8.5J ET60). Torque steer is undetectable with the OEM wheels but I got a little when I had the Enki wheels with my snow tires as those wheels have different geometry (ET45 I think).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Torque steer is cool and good and fun. I'm pretty sure the modern, high power FWD cars have tuned it out.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
FoRS owner here, can also answer any questions you might have. I also daily mine. The head gasket recall should have hopefully been done already by the previous owner, and if it was it’s no longer an issue. The ride quality is definitely on the firmer side of tolerable, especially if you’re riding on the optional 19” forged wheels with Cup 2s. That being said that wheel tire combo is fun on a bun and will rip your face off sideways going around corners. The car feels like a RWD car, especially in drift mode. Launching is also hilarious because it sounds and goes like a loving WRC rally car. I’ve done some very basic things to mine like upgrading the rear motor mount (much better for launching hard, makes the car feel a lot more planted, reduces wheel hop), AEM high flow air filter (for better flow and fun turbo noises), and a Cobb AP with a custom protune. The first/best mod for these cars is a custom tune. It really wakes the car up and feels so much better. I have a 93 octane map and an E30 map. The E30 map just makes it pull like a freight train all the way to redline, and really makes me want to go full bolt ons with an intercooler, cat back exhaust, and an upgraded wastegate actuator and upgraded turbo bypass valve. That would let me squeeze another 50-60 HP out of it and would put the stock turbo at the efficiency limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I also own a FoRS and it's like a faster, more capable, considerably more cramped WRX. If you can deal with the ridiculous seat bolsters and harsh ride, it's an absolute blast - a monster both in the dirt or snow and on the track. If you take it on a fast track on a 95 degree day, expect oil cooling issues. :v:

Test drive one and see how you like it.