Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
While on our way to our summer cottage, I spotted this fellow hitching a ride with us on the boat. Once we arrived, I picked it up on a stick and since it was perfectly fine just chilling there, I took pictures.

Looking at the colors I'd peg this as a Raft Spider (Dolomedes fimbriatus), but the white side stripes were really faint so I'm not completely sure. Can't think of anything else that's big enough in Finland. Also missing a leg.

Here is my thumb for scale. You can also see the faint side stripe on the abdomen.

A front shot with a clear view of the pedipalps with no clubs, making this a female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

It might be a juvenile, the markings don't quite come in until they're mature. So as big as it is, it's still got some growing to do! Which is good news for that missing leg too :3:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This lil guy evolved to look REALLY FAST so predators won't bother but it turns out he's kind of a klutz

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Found at least five Tanner beetles (Prionus coriarius) by a old dead oak.

Have been finding them at this location for the last three years during end of july/early august.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I was woken up very, very early by all my cats losing their loving minds. It turns out that I had a visitor!

This happens once or twice a year in this house, so I've had plenty of practice safely returning these cuties to the outdoors.

The cats were very disappointed.

West-central PA, little brown bat. A population devastated by disease but still hanging in there.

https://waterlandlife.org/wildlife-pnhp/species-at-risk-in-pennsylvania/bats/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As awesome as bats are (and thanks for being a good person and shooing them outside,) you really should look to getting your house sealed up against wherever they’re getting in.

And build a bat box! Give them somewhere to live that isn’t your house. :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MrYenko posted:

As awesome as bats are (and thanks for being a good person and shooing them outside,) you really should look to getting your house sealed up against wherever they’re getting in.

And build a bat box! Give them somewhere to live that isn’t your house. :3:

It's been ongoing since my family first moved into this house 30 years ago. We THINK it's the chimney system, but we're not really sure. Sealing up against their visits has been difficult! My coworkers in the area report similar woes.

I'm seriously looking into the bat box option. We have enough mosquitoes around to make them very happy.

My husband shared this beauty from the Colorado Springs area:

Edit: Guessing huntii?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 1, 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looks like Bombus huntii, yeah. That one is male.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's awfully nice of bumblebees to have such regimented uniforms.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

It's awfully nice of bumblebees to have such regimented uniforms.

Some species dress however the hell they want

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5iUuvOZ.gifv

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mak0rz posted:

Some species dress however the hell they want

:argh:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

my cat is norris posted:

This happens once or twice a year in this house, so I've had plenty of practice safely returning these cuties to the outdoors.

What are best practices in bat-extraction? I've had a couple of bats get in when I open doors and windows to cool the place off, and they absolutely freak the gently caress out and will not stop flapping around in panicked circles and occasionally divebombing me. I had to lure the last one out with the beam of a high-powered flashlight, but there's clearly a better way to handle these little guys.

Edit: hydra turtle is adorable and now I'm putting a giant one in a D&D game, so thanks for that, poverty goat.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Parsley-eating JERK id please

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Papilio polyxenes, the Black Swallowtail butterfly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

poverty goat posted:

Your parsley looks an awful lot like celery. Delicious celery.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Took a quick trip to Elk Island National Park a couple weeks ago and didn't see any bison close enough to photograph, but there were plenty of smaller critters around:

The good thing about this being a bad mosquito year is that it's a good dragonfly year! The bushes by the lake were just buzzing with them.

Sad doot 2k19.

An ex-elm sawfly.

I shared a shelter hut at the top of a mountain with this bee during a snowstorm. In July.

Lots of damselflies in the garden!

Any ideas on this thing? It was too small to get a better photo but you get the gist of the body shape.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Kestral posted:

What are best practices in bat-extraction? I've had a couple of bats get in when I open doors and windows to cool the place off, and they absolutely freak the gently caress out and will not stop flapping around in panicked circles and occasionally divebombing me. I had to lure the last one out with the beam of a high-powered flashlight, but there's clearly a better way to handle these little guys.

Edit: hydra turtle is adorable and now I'm putting a giant one in a D&D game, so thanks for that, poverty goat.

If you can close off the room except for the windows, that's a good start. Multiple open windows will create an airflow that guides the bat. Leaving lights off is also good.

I usually just wait for them to land somewhere and then cover them with a Tupperware dish (as pictured). Sturdy cardboard protects against escape and accidental bites.

Probably don't do this but my mom will gently bap them out of the air with a racket before the Tupperware trick is utilized.

Bats are torpid during the day, so you can isolate them more easily during daylight hours.

Worst case? Call an expert.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Worst worst case is getting bitten, in which case you need to go to the ER and get a rabies shot. Their fangs are so tiny you might not even feel the bite, so look for suspicious puncture pairs.

poverty goat posted:

Butterflies are having a tough time right now, and it'd be nice to help yours even though they crashed your party. In addition to parsley, black swallowtails also go nuts for dill and fennel. Long-term, you can plant and encourage host plants in your garden. You can even take them in and raise them into butterflies to be sure they aren't eaten first. It's a bit of a project but very cool

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anne Whateley posted:

You can even take them in and raise them into butterflies to be sure they aren't eaten first. It's a bit of a project but very cool

I just had a second round of Atala butterflies emerge from their chrysalides. I had three successful emergences, but they must’ve all happened at night or while I was at work, because there was no sign of the butterflies.

One, then three. It’s a good trend thus far.

Butterflies are cool as poo poo. Once-thought-extinct butterflies doubly so.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Couple of orders of magnitude smaller than the (excellent) photo's you guys have been posting, but there's a new Youtube channel out there that any critter lover should check out...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBbnbBWJtwsf0jLGUwX5Q3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2mdmt4JPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kux1j1ccsgg

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Zernach posted:

While on our way to our summer cottage, I spotted this fellow hitching a ride with us on the boat. Once we arrived, I picked it up on a stick and since it was perfectly fine just chilling there, I took pictures.

Looking at the colors I'd peg this as a Raft Spider (Dolomedes fimbriatus), but the white side stripes were really faint so I'm not completely sure. Can't think of anything else that's big enough in Finland. Also missing a leg.

Here is my thumb for scale. You can also see the faint side stripe on the abdomen.

A front shot with a clear view of the pedipalps with no clubs, making this a female.

Argyroneta aquatica, diving bell spider. The hairs trap an air bubble and they hunt and spend most of their time under the water surface. Common in lakes and pond in our part of Europe.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Check out the eyes in that last picture, that's not a Dictynidae arrangement, that's Pisauridae all the way. There are however what seems like a billion pictures of Dolomedes spiders out there mislabelled as A. aquatica

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7XzD45B.gifv

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
your local butterfly populations thank you for your service

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
caterpillars are so dang cute

even the sad doots(especially the sad doots)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks I love him

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

That's a Cuban tree frog, an invasive species that is decimating our native frogs.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Well that was a poignant twist

His little face and steepled hands look a bit more sinister now

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OneTwentySix posted:

That's a Cuban tree frog, an invasive species that is decimating our native frogs.

I was thinking southern toad, but looking at the hind legs, you might be right. Most of the Cubans that we get around there are quite a bit greener and skinnier than that dude, so it threw me.

I make sure to murder Cuban tree frogs on sight, but my parents (where the picture came from) have no such doctrine, sadly.

Edit: Oh gently caress the feet. Look at the feet, idiot. Definitely a Cuban.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If the native frogs are sucking and the invasive frogs are thriving, isn't it more sensible to let nature run its course and have some frogs thriving in the post-human hellscape? How is this not just natural selection working as intended? Many native critters were invasive species once when they floated across a sea against all odds on some debris or whatever. Nature isn't actually a fixed system in the absence of human fuckery. I say let's transplant hardier frogs into every ecosystem where the native frogs cant hack it anymore. All nature lacks is a guiding hand putting the right invasive species where they are needed.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 3, 2019

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It isn't natural when it's humans introducing the non-native species. European starlings are a good example.

And cane toads.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 4, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It is though. We're a part of nature as much as the storm that pushes the palm fronds across the ocean

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Because invasive species have rippling downstream effects on ecosystems that lead to loss of biodiversity, and loss of biodiversity is bad. Native species aren't struggling because "they can't hack it anymore" but because they're severely impacted by a laundry list of human-caused factors like pollution, disease, introduction/proliferation of invasive species, climate change, environmental degradation, and loss of habitat. "Natural" isn't synonymous with "good."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

poverty goat posted:

It is though. We're a part of nature as much as the storm that pushes the palm fronds across the ocean
I'm gonna fill your house with termites and bedbugs

they're part of the natural order, you should just get along fine with them right

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oriental bittersweet is a hardy asian vine that was brought to the US because it's pretty

it also grows at a speed approaching Kudzu and the berries are poisonous to a lot of things

it also strangles native trees

the roots grow dozens of meters underground and can cross underneath entire highways to reach the other side if the berries don't get spread there first. the forest near my house is basically impenetrable now because there are so many vines, there's a literal impassable acre of vines holding together dead trees in the center of it, massive oaks strangled to death by ravenous vines and Trees of Heaven

but it's okay because it's Natural

the Asian Longhorned Beetle is an asian wood-borer that is accustomed to the soft-barked hard-cored trees in asia, when introduced to the US's hard-barked soft-cored trees, it bores holes straight through the core, killing the entire tree. hundreds of thousands of trees were dying insanely fast in massachusetts until a massive effort was put forth to stop them, if they hadn't, the bastards could have wiped out most of the local tree population in a decade

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 4, 2019

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Captain Invictus posted:

oriental bittersweet is a hardy asian vine that was brought to the US because it's pretty

it also grows at a speed approaching Kudzu and the berries are poisonous to a lot of things

it also strangles native trees

the roots grow dozens of meters underground and can cross underneath entire highways to reach the other side if the berries don't get spread there first. the forest near my house is basically impenetrable now because there are so many vines, there's a literal impassable acre of vines holding together dead trees in the center of it, massive oaks strangled to death by ravenous vines and Trees of Heaven

I loving hate kudzu. You can drive down the interstate in parts of Arkansas and see miles and miles of forest covered in kudzu. And that poo poo won't die.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At least kudzu is edible. Oriental Bittersweet is poisonous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
If we spread frogs everywhere, we'd probably wipe out native frogs due to some species being able to carry and spread Chytridiomycosis