Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
I don't have anything interesting to say, just want to join the chorus that Doom 2016 is a fantastically designed game and really worth a shot, especially if you like fast paced tons-of-enemies-everywhere shooters. It's so much more clever than it deserves to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doom 2016 is great because the goon hivemind was convinced it was poo poo because of a teaser and now can't stop praising the game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The cup noodle quest in XV is also a little weird since you are permanently locked into that variation of cup noodles. Nissin wants you to know, once youve chosen your protein your bound for life.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

VanSandman posted:

It's strange to me that there isn't an uncanny valley for food. Like the line for 'artificial but still delicious looking' is definitely more on the artificial side.

Its probably because a lot of advertising already uses fake food.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Useless posted:

I don't have anything interesting to say, just want to join the chorus that Doom 2016 is a fantastically designed game and really worth a shot, especially if you like fast paced tons-of-enemies-everywhere shooters. It's so much more clever than it deserves to be.

Don't forget the butt rock, never forget the butt rock

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

Doom 2016 is great because the goon hivemind was convinced it was poo poo because of a teaser and now can't stop praising the game

Tbh, I think that backfired a bit because I came into it late and found it to be just alright.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

Trailers are bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MiddleOne posted:

Trailers are bad.

Maybe someday goons will learn that and stop seeing singular trailers and deciding whether or not a game is poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

Maybe someday goons will learn that and stop seeing singular trailers and deciding whether or not a game is poo poo

You mean the thing a trailer is supposed to enable?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

A singular trailer aka Bethesda trying to avoid showing any single player footage because they went all in on multiplayer pr.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

Aren't you the one who keeps coming into any remotely related thread and screaming about "GOONS ASSUMED THE GAME WOULD BE BAD BECAUSE ALL THE MARKETING SHOWING OFF THE GAME WAS BAD WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOWNS HUH BUNCHA DUMB loving GOONS". Like, you do this constantly in the Horror Games thread.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

this issue isn't unique to goons

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

MiddleOne posted:

Trailers are bad.

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal kind of sell themselves imo. The quakecon gameplay for Doom Eternal definitely sold me on it, it just looks like a really fun game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

lucky us to have one Good Goon™ to show the error of our ways

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
I still regret not being turned completely off of Fallout 4 by the pre-release materials. Because in that case all the red flags I saw about that game were actually right, including the stuff that I was convinced were unfinished assets.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I remember the biggest issue with the gameplay footage of doom pre-release was that the glory kills seemed like they were going to slow down the game with overly long animations. Also, they chose to show off an area of the game that had an extremely yellow color scheme.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember when Rick and Morty streamed themselves playing Fallout 76 pre-release?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Remember when Rick and Morty streamed themselves playing Fallout 76 pre-release?

We're still trying to forget.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

Aren't you the one who keeps coming into any remotely related thread and screaming about "GOONS ASSUMED THE GAME WOULD BE BAD BECAUSE ALL THE MARKETING SHOWING OFF THE GAME WAS BAD WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOWNS HUH BUNCHA DUMB loving GOONS". Like, you do this constantly in the Horror Games thread.

I also do that over in CineD

But the horror thread is so good for it!

RE7 the outlast clone is still probably my favorite

For content:

Spider-Man is a lot of fun so far and the fact there's an upgrade that makes it so I can do tricks while web slinging was the best touch. I could have bought a useful skill or I can do sick tricks

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the thing a trailer is supposed to enable?

Gameplay trailers sure. But there's snap judgments based around pre-rendered cutscene trailers because those tell you so much about the game

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Len posted:

For content:

Spider-Man is a lot of fun so far and the fact there's an upgrade that makes it so I can do tricks while web slinging was the best touch. I could have bought a useful skill or I can do sick tricks

It is useful though. You gain XP from it, and I believe it counts toward combos, which refills your energy, which you can use to refill your health.

Plenty of times I ticked over to the next level just swinging to the next map marker.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tricks and point launches build Focus so if you're doing both while going from A and B you'll show up to a fight with Finishers or healing ready to go, plus higher damage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So basically Spidey can go into a fight all limbered up and ready to throw down because he had fun on the way over

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Posted this into the wrong thread earlier, but the following exchange happens at the end of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood:.

Dracula: it is the greed of man that brings me back, the corruption in men's hearts.
My character, the literally-12-year-old girl that just killed him: I don't know what that means!

One of my favourite conversations in the entire series. You can keep your 'what is man' nonsense, next time a villain throws a soliloquy at me I'm just throwing up my hands and going 'hah whatever old man who knows wtf you're talking about'

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TheMostFrench posted:

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal kind of sell themselves imo. The quakecon gameplay for Doom Eternal definitely sold me on it, it just looks like a really fun game.

Eh, the DOOM games you can get by with relatively simple trailers. We all know what DOOM games are by this point. DOOM games also know what they are and never try to be anything else. At this point all they really have to do is be all like "hey, if you like DOOM games then we made another one. RIP AND TEAR, fucker."

I feel like one of the snags with trailers is that you have a ton of games or game companies trying to be everything to everybody all the time. Let's be honest here; somebody that only enjoys puzzle games probably won't like DOOM. That's fine but you get people acting like you can somehow use the right magical marketing words to get that person to play DOOM.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Aug 4, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real payoff to the FFXV Cup Noodle quest is that during one point in the game your chef is injured and can't cook for you and there's a campfire in the middle of that story quest. The default meal you have there is some lovely canned beans.

But if you've finished the Cup Noodle quest then everyone knows how to make it so you can cook that instead!

Sadly this is not enough to make FFXV a good game. I say this as someone who paid full price. They managed to gently caress up 13, 14 and 15 in succession and only pulled 14 back through an enormous amount of effort and updates, and even then the basegame content is still rear end.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, the DOOM games you can get by with relatively simple trailers. We all know what DOOM games are by this point. DOOM games also know what they are and never try to be anything else. At this point all they really have to do is be all like "hey, if you like DOOM games then we made another one. RIP AND TEAR, fucker."

you do remember that before the newest DOOM, the most recent one that came out was doom 3, right

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wizzanthos posted:

you do remember that before the newest DOOM, the most recent one that came out was doom 3, right

I liked Doom 3. :shrug:

Still felt like a Doom game. Mostly simple point and shoot weapons, blasting demons all day.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Still felt like a Doom game. Mostly simple point and shoot weapons, blasting demons all day.

i liked it too, it was the first one i played, but thinking back after playing the first and second it seems like it was slower paced and more of a horror game than an action game
i remember a lot of people disliking it because they expected it to be more like DOOM 4 ended up, that it was "too dark", you had to switch between your gun and your flashlight to see anything, etc. less of a "rip and tear" than a "slowly explore this spooky mars base"

Overnight Blaze has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Aug 4, 2019

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
FFXV is ten times better if you imagine the villain is fully aware that he's the only one doing anything to make this plot work.

On the FF topic, XIV has a special model for each helmet with spaces for my catman's kitty ears :3:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm about 200 pages late for Metal Gar Solid V chat, but I've really been enjoying the gameplay since picking it up last month and today noticed a nice little touch that I appreciated.

Quiet, the sniper buddy you can take with you on missions, is typically hidden up on high vantage points or on faraway hills, providing cover fire for when a mission goes pear-shaped. That means she's rarely near you, particularly when looking down the sights of her rifle. Carrying a wounded prisoner through the jungle toward the escape chopper, I noticed that she would faithfully lower her rifle if I stood in her line of fire.

Just a little tiny thing that I could easily imagine having been ignored or skipped in most games, but I appreciated here.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I also appreciate that if you look at her through a scope, she gives you a thumbs up sometimes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bony tony posted:

I also appreciate that if you look at her through a scope, she gives you a thumbs up sometimes.

She does it based on your bond level. At max it's pretty much every time...unless you've specifically told her to aim at someone

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I adore Doom 3, but it's a weird horror shooter. It's definitely the black sheep of the series. I didn't follow the Doom 2016 promotional stuff but I can absolutely see people looking at that and being like "Oh they're trying this again huh?".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Horizon Zero Dawn banuks will make fun of Aloy if she wears banuk clothes inside their camp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

In Horizon Zero Dawn banuks will make fun of Aloy if she wears banuk clothes inside their camp.

Oseram settlements will also comment on her outfits. Strangely nobody seems to care when she's covered in glowing futuristic power armor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

Oseram settlements will also comment on her outfits. Strangely nobody seems to care when she's covered in glowing futuristic power armor.

Because then she isn't appropriating their cultures

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was a little disappointed she made a new tribal-looking outfit and didn't go running around in the full body Fallout power armor in the vault.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

I was a little disappointed she made a new tribal-looking outfit and didn't go running around in the full body Fallout power armor in the vault.

Seriously, the power suit in the vault looked awesome and instead she just rips the shield plates off and grafts them onto a hunting outfit :sigh:.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

She's a Rogue, she can't wear heavy armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, the power suit in the vault looked awesome and instead she just rips the shield plates off and grafts them onto a hunting outfit :sigh:.

She can't wear a full set of armor, because it would hide her hair and then the killbots would be able to see her in the tall redgrass.