Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Noted. Without looking it up at all or knowing anything about the book or even what period of history we're talking about, just based on it being London history: I'm gonna guess it had to do with them using the Thames for all matters of waste that existed.

Sidenote: there are a bunch of mudlarks on Youtube who make videos about all the stuff they find in the Thames and it's wonderful. My favorite is Nicola White/Tideline Art. She finds a human jawbone in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeVJD28c4Sg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
ACAB.

“Preliminary information leads investigators to believe the woman was struck by gunfire from the officer," police said in a statement Thursday evening.

Translation: A cop shot and killed the woman he was sent to check on.

:911:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Azathoth posted:

Roman Catholic specifically, though it's not unknown in other traditions.

It came from clergy using their social status and the wealth of their churches, parishes, bishoprics, etc. to enrich their families, set up their children in powerful and/or lucrative church positions, and all the other kinds of nepotism that being a powerful person in a highly hierarchical system can get up to when it takes weeks or even months to so much as contact anyone who has even nominal superiority, let alone actually investigate.

And even then it didn't always stop them. The term 'nepotism' literally comes from the Italian word for 'nephew' iirc in the context of the Vatican clergy.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sidenote: there are a bunch of mudlarks on Youtube who make videos about all the stuff they find in the Thames and it's wonderful. My favorite is Nicola White/Tideline Art. She finds a human jawbone in this one.

Oh wow. I can't watch it right now but I wonder how old it was. I enjoyed learning about The Great Stink.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Oh wow. I can't watch it right now but I wonder how old it was. I enjoyed learning about The Great Stink.

There's a wonderful fantasy novel by Colin McLaren called Rattus Rex, set in London at the time just afterwards, when the modern sewer system was being constructed. The construction disturbs a population of giant intelligent rats, who then cause numerous mysterious deaths and accidents, which the protagonists have to investigate.
Unfortunately it seems to be out of print.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cop since 18, started in corrections, killed someone in an attempt to shoot their dog. (The dog was not struck by gunfire.)

Yep, sounds like a cop to me.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Cop since 18, started in corrections, killed someone in an attempt to shoot their dog. (The dog was not struck by gunfire.)

Yep, sounds like a cop to me.

Here at least, going into the Sheriff's Dept. without a degree or other specialization (bus/truck driver for example) means you have to work the county lock-up for a certain amount of time. I figured that's how they prevent burn-out and also let's them keep the pay low. What a world.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Zopotantor posted:

There's a wonderful fantasy novel by Colin McLaren called Rattus Rex, set in London at the time just afterwards, when the modern sewer system was being constructed. The construction disturbs a population of giant intelligent rats, who then cause numerous mysterious deaths and accidents, which the protagonists have to investigate.
Unfortunately it seems to be out of print.

That does sound pretty fun. Maybe not exactly my thing, but wild nonetheless.

Edit: also, it's hard to ignore the other discussion happening right now. ACAB.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ACAB and if you want more proof head to the cspam cop thread, it's depressing as poo poo :waycool:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Sounds like the cop was standing with a fence between him and the dog, too. Spooky dog! Blat blat! Oh no shot lady!

Unless “standing along a fence line” to call out to the woman means something bonkers in this context, this cop needs to be eaten by ravenous, unpunched dogs.

E: I mean, he deserves to be eaten anyway, obviously. Just be less viscous, punched dogs.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Sounds like the cop was standing with a fence between him and the dog, too. Spooky dog! Blat blat! Oh no shot lady!

Unless “standing along a fence line” to call out to the woman means something bonkers in this context, this cop needs to be eaten by ravenous, unpunched dogs.

E: I mean, he deserves to be eaten anyway, obviously. Just be less viscous, punched dogs.

Mods pls change my name to canine viscosity

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How many shootings can we have in America in a single year? Here's another one, happening in Texas now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shooter posted a manifesto on 8chan, apparently. He was targeting Mexicans and shrieking about the Great Replacement, it will not surprise you to hear.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

Shooter posted a manifesto on 8chan, apparently. He was targeting Mexicans and shrieking about the Great Replacement, it will not surprise you to hear.

For gently caress's sake.

What's the "Great Replacement", is it as racist as I think it is?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbxVfSqtt8

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Great Replacement is a white-supremacist conspiracy theory that believes the Illuminati is brainwashing white women into sleeping with people of color because they literally can't comprehend the concept being attracted to a person who happens to have a different skin tone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buddhist nudist posted:

The Great Replacement is a white-supremacist conspiracy theory that believes the Illuminati is brainwashing white women into sleeping with people of color because they literally can't comprehend the concept being attracted to a person who happens to have a different skin tone.

Thanks. gently caress them, have they not seen Idris Elba? He's quite possibly the hottest man to ever live.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks. gently caress them, have they not seen Idris Elba? He's quite possibly the hottest man to ever live.

That's what the Illuminati wants you to think.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

That's what the Illuminati wants you to think.

looking at Idris Elba, man, I for one don’t need much persuasion to believe it

good eye, illuminati

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They hate him especially because as a man of colour, he portrayed a fictional space alien from a comic book

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

buddhist nudist posted:

LMAO goddamn, white supremacists are so staggeringly stupid.

And Idris Elba is the best.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Idris Elba is just drat good-looking. You have to be broken in the head to not see that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

On the off chance you're reading this thread and don't know who he is:

and yes yes I'll find something unnerving to post... later.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

StrixNebulosa posted:

and yes yes I'll find something unnerving to post... later.

Nobody is complaining.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'd like to see Idris as James Bond for two reasons: one, he's an incredible actor and would be absolutely fuckin' brilliant in the role, and two, I enjoy watching racist idiots poo poo themselves in impotent fury.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Idris has some powerful big daddy energy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thank you for linking this. I've watched a couple of hours of her trudging around the mud exclaiming over the length of clay pipes, now.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

ACAB and if you want more proof head to the cspam cop thread, it's depressing as poo poo :waycool:

In 2018 cops killed more people in the US than every spree killing in the US since 1970. Cops have killed more people in the past few years than 9/11. And police killings caught up and passed the number of Americans killed by the entire Global War on Terror back in like 2011 though I forget if I included 9/11 casualties in that or just military operation casualties.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'd like to see Idris as James Bond for two reasons: one, he's an incredible actor and would be absolutely fuckin' brilliant in the role, and two, I enjoy watching racist idiots poo poo themselves in impotent fury.

Yeah, both of these.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

buddhist nudist posted:

It's significantly more stupid than that. It's the U.N. and/or Illuminati deciding that they want to exterminate the white race so they're convincing the women in white majority countries to avoid having children, have fewer children, or marry interracially to create pressure on those countries to need labor and thus start importing not white people. See, not white people mostly have higher birth rates right now so they'll move in, breed like crazy, and overtake the majority in a few generations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'd rather see him in an original spy role, because Bond is an explicitly white male colonizer fantasy. As an agent of the Crown his whole job is to further imperialism. Idris is awesome and deserves better. However I am torn because I also like racist idiots losing their minds.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I'd rather see him in an original spy role, because Bond is an explicitly white male colonizer fantasy. As an agent of the Crown his whole job is to further imperialism. Idris is awesome and deserves better. However I am torn because I also like racist idiots losing their minds.

Have a James Bond film where Elba is the antagonist who destroys the 00's and MI6 and establishes his own new, cooler spy agency.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Samovar posted:

Have a James Bond film where Elba is the antagonist who destroys the 00's and MI6 and establishes his own new, cooler spy agency.

The Man from IDRIS

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

There's certainly a message that would come with a non-white 007 doing the dirty work of a decayed and now irrelevant empire, especially if M goes back to being a old white guy.

Though personally I'd like to see a "more faithful" adaption of Moonraker where not-Elon Musk is building a new missile defense system for the post-Brexit government, but he's actually a Boer revanchist plotting to nuke London because Rhodesia.

Topical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLKSyy5AwtQ
Film was "banned" shorty after release by the distributors for being too provocative and was only available as a bootleg until 2004. The novel it was based on was advertised with the tagline "THE BLACK MAN'S DREAM - THE WHITE MAN'S NIGHTMARE!"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Because Rhodesia? What? You mean because of the Boer War?

Even when I was young and before any political considerations came into play, I disliked James Bond and always felt bad for the nameless mooks he was casually slaughtering by the dozens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also possibly some problematic undertones to casting a black guy as a character defined by violence and sexual conquest.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Look we just want to see him in a tuxedo kicking bad guys arses and honouring the Queen.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Because Rhodesia? What? You mean because of the Boer War?

Nah a lot of the various white nationalists buy into this narrative about how Rhodesia (and a lesser extent South Africa) was "betrayed" by Mother England (and in a lot of cases the US too) and ~the bread basket of Africa~ could have otherwise survived with white minority rule intact.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/letsgomathias/status/1157886388257341442

Today I learned that America is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At least 90% of American mass shootings and terrorist attacks have been motivated by white supremacy. Remember when the media went nuts over every single aspect of the Columbine shooters' lives except that they happened to be white supremacists?