Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

soggybagel posted:

I just don't think you can include Washington on the sole basis that they have a bad owner. Lots of teams have bad owners. Some of those teams are on my list.

My argument against Washington being most tortured include they are over .500 all time record and all time play off record. They have won 3 Super Bowls. And while they've been overwhelmingly bad since Snyder bought them they've still made the playoffs four times and won the division a couple.

The problem is that you're looking over the history of the team while I'm focusing on the recent past, because I don't think it's particularly relevant what a team did nearly 30 years ago from the perspective of how tortured a fan base is. Heck by your logic Cleveland shouldn't be on the list because they won the NFL Championship four times, and the AFC Championship four times before that. Sure it's not the Super Bowl, but what does it matter if a team won a championship in 1967 or 1966 from the perspective of the fan base? They're still champions.

Your list indicates that Vikings and Falcons fans are more tortured than Washington and Jets fans. The last time the Jets won the Super Bowl was 1968. The majority of fans who remember that particular occasion are dead. The median age of the US is 38, which means half the population was 10 or younger the last time Washington won the Super Bowl. I sure as hell don't remember it, and I live near DC.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/NickHardwick/status/1157102088725438464?s=19

Hardwick thin as hell

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/DialedInDetroit/status/1157627349753638912

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem is that you're looking over the history of the team while I'm focusing on the recent past, because I don't think it's particularly relevant what a team did nearly 30 years ago from the perspective of how tortured a fan base is. Heck by your logic Cleveland shouldn't be on the list because they won the NFL Championship four times, and the AFC Championship four times before that. Sure it's not the Super Bowl, but what does it matter if a team won a championship in 1967 or 1966 from the perspective of the fan base? They're still champions.

Your list indicates that Vikings and Falcons fans are more tortured than Washington and Jets fans. The last time the Jets won the Super Bowl was 1968. The majority of fans who remember that particular occasion are dead. The median age of the US is 38, which means half the population was 10 or younger the last time Washington won the Super Bowl. I sure as hell don't remember it, and I live near DC.

I’m only counting the super bowl because that’s all that matters. It’s not “by my logic.” It’s by the actual metric that people put value on. The same way as time passes and certain stats change in value one of the few (overly emphasized) stats is rings. Of course it’s stupid and wrong. Dilfer has a ring and Marino doesn’t. That doesn’t mean in any way was Marino worse but lots of people love to yell kiss the rings.

Also Minnesota and Atlanta are far more tortured than Washington. Sorry but they are. Even recent past I think Minnesota is more tortured because they’ve been odds on favorites several times and lost in horrific heartbreaking manners. 15-1 missing a field goal from a perfect kicker to lose. Favre Bountygate. The missed field goal against the Seahawks. Where as Washington is clearly run by a buffoon and the teams have been mostly bad. So who’s more tortured there? Because at least Washington fans can lean on their history. What history does Minnesota have but being losers?

Also I’m changing my order due to the outcry. Detroit is 1. Cleveland is 2. Buffalo is 3 now.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 3, 2019

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
Reinstate Gordon! One more ring for the god of pain.
Yes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Did they give Josh a ring? I'd actually have an improved opinion of the Pats if they did

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Did they give Josh a ring? I'd actually have an improved opinion of the Pats if they did

They did.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I've always wondered how the guys who get rings just for kinda having been around for the season feel about it. It's probably still cool, but if say the Chiefs had won last year and Kelvin Benjamin gets a ring, is he crowing about being a SB champ and getting it out at parties or just stashing it away in a drawer somewhere?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He did a lot with his time during the season and they seem pretty committed to him so he got his ring

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nick hardwick turned into the guitarist of a late 90s hardcore band

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Freaquency posted:

I've always wondered how the guys who get rings just for kinda having been around for the season feel about it. It's probably still cool, but if say the Chiefs had won last year and Kelvin Benjamin gets a ring, is he crowing about being a SB champ and getting it out at parties or just stashing it away in a drawer somewhere?

Gordon actually contributed, to be fair

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’m most baffled by the Jaguars being on a list made by a poster who thinks that a Super Bowl win several decades ago means the fan base isn’t tortured.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://buffalonews.com/2019/08/02/buffalo-bills-ed-reed-rex-ryan-rob-ryan-pro-football-hall-of-fame-nfl-football/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

King Hong Kong posted:

I’m most baffled by the Jaguars being on a list made by a poster who thinks that a Super Bowl win several decades ago means the fan base isn’t tortured.

The jaguars have won a super bowl?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

soggybagel posted:

The jaguars have won a super bowl?

Most posters here can remember the Jaguars coming into existence. The fact they haven’t won a Super Bowl in that time doesn’t make them more tortured than a team that won a Super Bowl in the 60s.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Then make your own list! I was bored.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

King Hong Kong posted:

Most posters here can remember the Jaguars coming into existence. The fact they haven’t won a Super Bowl in that time doesn’t make them more tortured than a team that won a Super Bowl in the 60s.

any team that has won a super bowl at any point is less tortured than a team that hasn't

hth

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

soggybagel posted:

Then make your own list! I was bored.

I'll wait until Leper posts his essay on the definition of torture so I know what criteria to follow.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

NERD

https://twitter.com/H_Grove/status/1157753740600008705?s=20

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Carl Lawson is the Bengals anime nerd, but the Bengals don't allow on-field personality.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Randaconda posted:

any team that has won a super bowl at any point is less tortured than a team that hasn't

hth

What are your thoughts on the Las Vegas Golden Knights?

Anyway:

Tier 1 (50+ years without a Super Bowl win)

1. Cardinals
2. Lions
3. Titans (if you count the Oilers, otherwise they would drop down pretty far)
4. Chargers
5. Bills
6. Browns
7. Vikings
8. Falcons
9. Bengals
10. Jets

Tier 2 (30+ years without a Super Bowl win, ranked in reverse order of most recent championship game appearance)

11. Dolphins
12. Raiders
13. Bears
14. Chiefs

Tier 3 (15+ years without a Super Bowl win, ranked in reverse order of most recent playoff appearance, but teams other than the Buccaneers that won a Super Bowl within five years of the creation of an expansion team are dropped below expansion teams)

15. Panthers
16. Jaguars
17. Buccaneers
18. 49ers
19. Washington
20. Texans
21. Cowboys
22. Rams

Tier 4 (1+ years without a Super Bowl win, ranked in reverse order of most recent championship game appearance)

23. Giants
24. Ravens
25. Colts
26. Seahawks
27. Broncos
28. Packers
29. Steelers
30. Eagles
31. Saints

Tier 5 "Fanbases that deserve to be tortured"
32. Patriots

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1157463038343204864

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nothing before 2002 matters so who cares about super bowls before then

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

King Hong Kong posted:

32. Patriots

"Bro, I was a fan of them when they SUCKED"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was a fan of them when they only went to two superbowls in a decade, but they lost both of them, so it felt v. bad.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but it rules.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1157754231786475520

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

OxySnake posted:

Not sure if this was posted yet, but it rules.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1157754231786475520

DBZ is the New England Patriots of Anime.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

King Hong Kong posted:

32. Patriots

I'm down with this.

Metapod posted:

Nothing before 2002 matters so who cares about super bowls before then

Another 9-11 truther!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

DBZ is the New England Patriots of Anime.

Always working harder to be the best? agreedo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1157815502988828672

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Might as well give him the MVP now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Confirmed better than Aaron Rodgers

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have questions about that mustache. Man can shotgun a brewski, though.

e: Went to do some further Baker reading and lmao, the stache is a hot topic

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 4, 2019

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I have questions about that mustache. Man can shotgun a brewski, though.

e: Went to do some further Baker reading and lmao, the stache is a hot topic

Baker may or may not be making films in the QB RV

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1156722712951308288?s=20

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's coming home y'all:

https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/1157832990090645504

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm glad they labeled who the gently caress Steve Bisciotti is because without that text I would have thought it was someone cosplaying Stan the used ship salesman from Monkey Island.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Interesting cut.

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/1157993422415966208

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

That was funny especially because Belichick always gushes over Reed. That drat Bill Belichick brainwashed Reed to make him think he played under him!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Confirmed better than Aaron Rodgers

He bit the hole into the can?! Jfc