Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes.

If you wanted to know how it's possible, you could've just checked out the certifications menu and looked at all the class skills. Bishop has 2x white casts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Amppelix posted:

Yes.

If you wanted to know how it's possible, you could've just checked out the certifications menu and looked at all the class skills. Bishop has 2x white casts.
Specifically you have to press ZR to go to page two, then you can see the abilities they have.

Spoiler for Black Eagles part two and why you can't get Hilda if you go Chaos.
There's no way Hilda would fight Claude so that'll be why you can't do it. I do understand why Dedue and Hubert are unrecruitable generally, but Hilda is a weird one.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hilda does play the role of Claude's pseudo-second in the Deer route, just not with the same objective loyal fanaticism as Hubert and Dedue obviously do.

It'd make more sense if it was Lorenz tho

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
claude paralogue: so there's that dragon with four bars of HP to go through and i'm figuring i'd probably have to expend all 8 uses of the failnaught left to bring it down. is there a better way to beat it up since i figure it'll be really hard to do the job in one turn of combat?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Wendell posted:

New game plus just gives you your renown? But won’t everyone have spent all of it on statues?

New Game + keeps your statue progress and gives you a bunch of renown. I don't know if it gave me a fixed amount or just refunded everything I'd spent on statues (while, again, keeping them at the progress they were at), but I started NG+ with over 9000 renown banked and I definitely didn't have that much at the end of the game. Buying your way back to A+ professor level will cost you about 4000 of that IIRC, and then the other stuff has various costs.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

New Game + keeps your statue progress and gives you a bunch of renown. I don't know if it gave me a fixed amount or just refunded everything I'd spent on statues (while, again, keeping them at the progress they were at), but I started NG+ with over 9000 renown banked and I definitely didn't have that much at the end of the game. Buying your way back to A+ professor level will cost you about 4000 of that IIRC, and then the other stuff has various costs.

Oh, that’s good! Thanks, Tank.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Your battalion, item, and weapon shop don't reset either. Meaning yes, you can buy silver/killer weapons off the bat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Batallion wise the game should really tell you what level of authority you have when you're in the equip screen like it does in the buy screen.
I often ignore the ones I get from quests because it's just a loving hassle and a half.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I am now realising that the bad thing about recruiting spree is that I have something like 5 paraologue every months :( No explorations forever :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Batallion wise the game should really tell you what level of authority you have when you're in the equip screen like it does in the buy screen.
I often ignore the ones I get from quests because it's just a loving hassle and a half.

You can sort the equip Battalion screen by battalion rank, which makes it easy to see what's the highest you can equip

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Taear posted:

That’s pretty much my biggest issue with the same. A lot of the UI is unnecessarily clunky which can get annoying because of how menu heavy the game is. Item management in particular is annoying because your units casually pick up a ton of useless crap but the game lacks the tools previous games to easily take care of this stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

You can sort the equip Battalion screen by battalion rank, which makes it easy to see what's the highest you can equip

I know you can, but like I want to plan it out better and if one screen can tell you at a glance why can't this one?
It should just be there for me to see.

Otherwise I have to through each character checking what they can and can't use and I just drop it altogether and keep the poo poo ones forever

DrManiac posted:

That’s pretty much my biggest issue with the same. A lot of the UI is unnecessarily clunky which can get annoying because of how menu heavy the game is. Item management in particular is annoying because your units casually pick up a ton of useless crap but the game lacks the tools previous games to easily take care of this stuff.

The game should let me click on stat boost items in the convoy and then pick "use" and what character to use them on.
Because it doesn't, I don't loving bother to use them because I can't be bothered faffing

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, I don’t use the stat boosting items either because it’s incredibly unintuitive. I’m sure I’ve also got a few powerful weapons I’ve forgotten about rotting in the convoy. Intensely bad item management menus in this game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I've dealt with far worse UIs but this is not great yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd describe the UI as uneven. There's lots of places where it's pretty smooth but there's also lots of places where it can be hard to track down information you need even when there's plenty of space for it.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Okay, who's the worst unit and thus the best dancer? I'm getting decision paralysis again. Is it caspar? That dude kinda sucks, but I don't really want to make him a mage... Marianne?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ignatz is looking to be the dancer my game cause his stats in this run is garbage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marianne's a really good unit tbh but she does make a decent dancer since shes good at swords and can use physic so healing can be a thing she can do if she cant reach anyone shed want to dance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Beekeeping and You posted:

Okay, who's the worst unit and thus the best dancer? I'm getting decision paralysis again. Is it caspar? That dude kinda sucks, but I don't really want to make him a mage... Marianne?

It doesn't matter too much. My current hard lions don't have a dancer and we've been brutalizing everything. Pick someone you either leave on the bench or can't work out what to do with and be satisfied. The game doesn't need you to min max at all.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I had a good laugh at Dimitri begging me not to choose him for the dance competition. Kind of wish I’d done it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Beekeeping and You posted:

dancers themselves are also a very good unit, if you want a surprise dodge tank give it to a very fast character

just remember there's a charm requirement of 8+

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So Blue Lions Part 2 second or third stage, a few stages later and I keep thinking back on this. Why did the Alliance fight us in that three way battle? What did they possibly have to gain from it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JBP posted:

It doesn't matter too much. My current hard lions don't have a dancer and we've been brutalizing everything. Pick someone you either leave on the bench or can't work out what to do with and be satisfied. The game doesn't need you to min max at all.

Yea, I had my dancer for a little bit as Dorothea and now she's a Gremory, I don't feel I lost anything.
But crucially you tend to have more deployment slots in later battles. Some I've even had 12!

So getting two goes on one character isn't worth it all the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ethiser posted:

So Blue Lions Part 2 second or third stage, a few stages later and I keep thinking back on this. Why did the Alliance fight us in that three way battle? What did they possibly have to gain from it?

Edelgard killed your messengers so that it couldn't be determined you two were working together, and since Dimitri is kinda bumfuck crazy, war gets blurred

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

yeah iunno why its three way either from the deer side. i get that dimitri is bloodyminded but you think hed just go 'kill the empire and kill the alliance if they get in your way' not specifically set ambushes for and go after the alliance

i think they just really wanted the three way fight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I made Ignatz my Dancer because he had some magic skills, was good at swords, and was surprisingly well-rounded in my run (he mostly excelled for baiting mages due to his high Resistance). He's decent enough that he can take advantage of situations when needed, but not so powerful that I feel I'd be better off using him rather than Dancing another character most of the time. I've only used him in a couple battles so far, but I'm happy with my choice right now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think my dancer used a sword once since becoming one to end game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ferdinand was a great dancer since his personal skill gives him extra avoid when at full HP which synergized well with the +20 Avo from the dancer skill.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah iunno why its three way either from the deer side. i get that dimitri is bloodyminded but you think hed just go 'kill the empire and kill the alliance if they get in your way' not specifically set ambushes for and go after the alliance

i think they just really wanted the three way fight.

I avoided them and focused on the other side so they attacked me. Like even if our messengers were killed our interests are obviously aligned.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The level cap is 99 and they have lines for it.

Why did they put so much voice acting

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

While it's true you can recruit nearly everyone I still find myself using all the characters that I start with with a smattering of the others.
I bet it's similar for most players, so it's not like you're having exactly the same experience every time.

I never use the teachers/Knights. Wonder if anyone really goes for them.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Taear posted:

While it's true you can recruit nearly everyone I still find myself using all the characters that I start with with a smattering of the others.
I bet it's similar for most players, so it's not like you're having exactly the same experience every time.

I never use the teachers/Knights. Wonder if anyone really goes for them.

I use Catherine and Dorothea to make up for the two characters that got iced at the beginning of my BL playthrough and because Dorothea is my girlfriend, but otherwise I mostly use lions.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That chapter where I couldn't use my lord makes me sad. Anyone can tell me (Dark seal poo poo) when's the times you can get the seals? I'm at chapter 6 and haha he has loving 19 speed and my thief, Petra has 14

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tae posted:

:confused: Its not 40?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

wuggles posted:

I use Catherine and Dorothea to make up for the two characters that got iced at the beginning of my BL playthrough and because Dorothea is my girlfriend, but otherwise I mostly use lions.

Ah yea I can see why you'd do it if you're on classic and people are dying.

I'm really confused about the character Fleche.
This is a spoiler for the timeskip on all routes I think.
She's Randolph's sister and we learn that in Blue Lions. But in Black Eagles she's in my Explore bits and talks about her brother and got no intro! It's really strange, feels like cut content

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Tae posted:

Welp I guess that explains why the suggested levels are getting so insanely high even as of chapter 17 before the mission

Like I feel I’m in over my head trying out paralogues and occasionally skirmishes but then I feel the pressure to grind to break even for mission battles

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Welp I guess that explains why the suggested levels are getting so insanely high even as of chapter 17 before the mission

Like I feel I’m in over my head trying out paralogues and occasionally skirmishes but then I feel the pressure to grind to break even for mission battles

My guys are in their late 30s and I have one battle left.
Don't worry, you'll be fine as long as you don't let one or two characters carry away their levels and ignore other people.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Oh okay my lowest level guy is Ashe at 31-32 and that’s because I had to catch him up due to rejoining late, and Leonie at the same since she’s badly speed screwed and mainly does Stride duty plus picking off badly weakened enemies

i still may be a bit in over my head doing Claude’s paralogue though

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 4, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

Ah yea I can see why you'd do it if you're on classic and people are dying.

I'm really confused about the character Fleche.
This is a spoiler for the timeskip on all routes I think.
She's Randolph's sister and we learn that in Blue Lions. But in Black Eagles she's in my Explore bits and talks about her brother and got no intro! It's really strange, feels like cut content

Randolph introduces her (and himself, since he only met you one time five years ago) during the first Exploration in Edelgard's path post timeskip. You must have just missed them, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Holy poo poo post time skip BL maps do not gently caress around! Prior to the last pre-timeskip battle I was sleep walking though levels but these last 2 (last before timeskip and first after) are substantially harder than the first half of the game. Might actually need to put some thought into them!