Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've definitely risked running out of MP healing Eden Savage, but certainly not to the point where I was like "I wish I had more Piety instead of a stat that directly helps my heals".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Devs not understanding their own stats or at least intentionally filling gear with bad stats is such a time-honored MMO staple, I can't get mad about it anymore.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

piety should be removed and replaced with a stat that gives your healing a random chance to automatically rescue the target

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CYBEReris posted:

piety should be removed and replaced with a stat that gives your healing a random chance to automatically rescue the target
Ah, a Succor stat.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Obviously the way to make piety relevant is by completely removing lucid dreaming

:v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Der Shovel posted:

E: holy poo poo, listening to the Stormblood soundtrack and suddenly Dancing Mad starts playing. I guess I'm gonna see some poo poo as I play through this expansion :v:

Something I love about FFXIV is that, in anything else, this sort of spoiler would be the big one, that you hear and go 'well, that's it, I know the whole game'.

In FFXIV it's not even close.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

For the salt alone, Rescue is a BiS ability.
Specially if you can work it just right so some sucker eats a fatal AoE you narrowly dodge

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

For the salt alone, Rescue is a BiS ability.
Specially if you can work it just right so some sucker eats a fatal AoE you narrowly dodge

An alliance roulette passtime of mine to keep syrcus/lota interesting is to rescue people between rocks for behemoth/amon just to see if they die.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

First time in a dungeon and I healed and nuked to end up with 3 commendations at the end - I even got one from regretful naming choice "Heidrolf Himtler" :wtf:

edit: oh poo poo, only 497 more and I get a Magitek mount!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Der Shovel posted:

E: I also did The Sirensong Sea yesterday. God drat that was some loving cool boss design, and the final boss music (which I now realize is just the Stormblood boss fight theme) owned so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFqfN-ju1MQ

If there's one singular thing I can point out as exemplary about XIV it's the music, it started great in ARR and has only soared higher since. Also gently caress that tank and healer lmao

Helicity posted:

edit: oh poo poo, only 497 more and I get a Magitek mount!

It's solid shiny gold, it's the ugliest loving thing. I do love it. :allears:

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
This game has thoroughly ruined drinking scenes for me. I was 110% expecting Aymeric's dinner drink to be poisoned, we got an extra lingering shot of the guy pouring and everything! Truly, the greatest plot twist.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cleretic posted:

Something I love about FFXIV is that, in anything else, this sort of spoiler would be the big one, that you hear and go 'well, that's it, I know the whole game'.

In FFXIV it's not even close.

Yeah, that's true. There's just SO MUCH STUFF IN THIS GAME. And I've come to realize that while I might initially scoff at considering myself a Final Fantasy fanboy, riding Chocobos, hearing Terra's theme when I use a Magitek mount or something like this gets me big time.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Veriun posted:

This game has thoroughly ruined drinking scenes for me. I was 110% expecting Aymeric's dinner drink to be poisoned, we got an extra lingering shot of the guy pouring and everything! Truly, the greatest plot twist.

Yeah, that's more the game...highlighting that at this point you as the WOL have PTSD about poisoned drinks for very solid reasons. S'why it cuts back to you looking kind of tense and watching the guy like a hawk.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Furthermore, it should be noted that Crit scales up both crit chance and crit damage simultaneously, while direct hit only scales up chance, and remains fixed at 1.25x damage.

so why do tanks (warrior aside) want diet crit instead of the full bodied full flavor sugarwater?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

so why do tanks (warrior aside) want diet crit instead of the full bodied full flavor sugarwater?

Because tank gear doesn't come with any direct hit at all, so melding it allows them to do it in the first place.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ciaphas posted:

Iirc they don't get any dhit naturally on their gear, so adding some via materia gets them a pretty large damage boost.

e:f,b

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It's also worth noting that the importance of melding one point in direct hit and crit is different depending on how much you currently have. If you have 0 direct hit and 0 in crit, getting one or two points in DH will give a larger boost to your damage than one or two points of crit. However, if you have thousands of points in both, one point in crit is better than one point in DH. Since tanks don't have DH natively, they benefit from melding it a lot. This will probably change later in the expansion when gear starts letting people stack crit high enough to make it better than DH after a certain threshold.

This isn't true for WAR, since they have a class mechanic that boosts crit, making them benefit from crit more than DH at a lower stat threshold, although they still want some amount of DH to get direct crits.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, that's more the game...highlighting that at this point you as the WOL have PTSD about poisoned drinks for very solid reasons. S'why it cuts back to you looking kind of tense and watching the guy like a hawk.

:aaa: My character has a face that makes him look constantly worried/concerned, and I was too busy freaking out, so I didn't pay much attention to his expression. I just read it as "uhhhh you done mixing drinks over there buddy? This silence is getting kinda awkward" or something. But him being super paranoid about poison makes way more sense. That's such a nice detail!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenik posted:

This will probably change later in the expansion when gear starts letting people stack crit high enough to make it better than DH after a certain threshold.

We're already getting pretty close to the threshold. IIRC, you need something like 2100 unmelded crit to make further crit melds worthwhile, and the current spread of gear should let you get to at least spitting distance of that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Veriun posted:

oh god that scene

Earlier in the plot he specifically mentions "When this is all over, we should have a drink together" which immediately set off my oh-no-he's-not-gonna-make-it-is-he alarms, but he does survive all the way to the end and we get to the dinner scene.... and the way it zooms in on the pouring I'm practically yelling at my monitor please, not like this. :gonk: ....... and then it's fine. It's all fine we're just having a nice dinner together and no one is dying.

the devs knew what they were doing

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I just meld Tenacity because the damage difference between any stat isn't enough for me to justify spending 20+ million on DH VIII/VII materia.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I just resubbed this past month and am having a blast. I have gotten through the rest of ARR and all of the Heavensward MSQ, both of which were great! I just started Stormblood and arrived at Kugane. One of the questions I have is regarding the additional retainer service. Is it worth paying the fee for the extra retainers? If so, what jobs are best for them to maximize your return on investment?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

You don't have to put random words in a spoiler, it's okay.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Retainers don't really get you reasonable amounts of Gil on a short time scale unless you're maxing out your 20 MB slots.

You should really only get them if you're a hoarder or crafter that need the storage space.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Veriun posted:

:aaa: My character has a face that makes him look constantly worried/concerned, and I was too busy freaking out, so I didn't pay much attention to his expression. I just read it as "uhhhh you done mixing drinks over there buddy? This silence is getting kinda awkward" or something. But him being super paranoid about poison makes way more sense. That's such a nice detail!

Have you levelled Dark Knight, yet? You'll encounter a lot of that sort of thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Your Computer posted:

oh god that scene

Earlier in the plot he specifically mentions "When this is all over, we should have a drink together" which immediately set off my oh-no-he's-not-gonna-make-it-is-he alarms, but he does survive all the way to the end and we get to the dinner scene.... and the way it zooms in on the pouring I'm practically yelling at my monitor please, not like this. :gonk: ....... and then it's fine. It's all fine we're just having a nice dinner together and no one is dying.

the devs knew what they were doing

What is wrong with you people Aymeric is a Good Boy and I never suspected he had ill intent for a second. He very obviously wants in the WoL's pants but is too well bred and polite to just come out and say it, though.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Thundarr posted:

What is wrong with you people Aymeric is a Good Boy and I never suspected he had ill intent for a second. He very obviously wants in the WoL's pants but is too well bred and polite to just come out and say it, though.

I think people are assuming that someone else spiked the drinks, like a church loyalist or an angry noble or someone else loyal to Nidhogg

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Chairman posted:

I think people are assuming that someone else spiked the drinks, like a church loyalist or an angry noble or someone else loyal to Nidhogg

I mean the WoL DOES get spiked eventually

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I do. It is me. Because whoever designed them didn't do it with Roes or Hrothgar in mind, and then I get a propeller blade in the skull whenever it flies.

Buns get their ears lopped off at the roots.

Also, if they can add Terra's Theme to the armor mount, they can add Searching for Friends to the Falcon.

And the Sky Armor needs to have Save Them.

I want more FFVI music.

edit: I just realized this is from three pages ago but I just woke up. Anyway, more FFVI music in mounts please and thanks okay.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 4, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

you're completely misreading it

I thought someone would assassinate Aymeric because like you say, he's a Good Boy and at that point the game had conditioned me to expect bad things to happen to the characters I like :smith:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

So far, the best part about Heavensward is that I can finally check the "play normal battle music" option and hear one of my favorite songs in the game instead of ARR's kinda repetitive battle music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znTI2qEc1QA

I've gotta say, though, I kinda miss the ARR voices. I know that technically speaking they kinda sucked, but they had sooooo much more character. Merlwyb sounded hoarse and frazzled from years of screaming at pirates on a ship, Ilberd was dignified and trustworthy, Urianger sounded like as much of a dweeb as his dialogue made him out to be, and Raubahn sounded so loving mad all the time. Now so many of them are kinda just "time to act well WITH A HEAVY ACCENT" and it's...eh. I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just really got attached to the camp.

I haven't heard her yet but I'm sure Kan-E-Senna is only an improvement, though. I don't know what it was, but something about hearing her talk for extended periods was the most draining thing.

Edit: My boy Aymeric still has those dulcet tones, though, hell yeah.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 4, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Squidtentacle posted:

So far, the best part about Heavensward is that I can finally check the "play normal battle music" option and hear one of my favorite songs in the game instead of ARR's kinda repetitive battle music.

I've gotta say, though, I kinda miss the ARR voices. I know that technically speaking they kinda sucked, but they had sooooo much more character. Merlwyb sounded hoarse and frazzled from years of screaming at pirates on a ship, Ilberd was dignified and trustworthy, Urianger sounded like as much of a dweeb as his dialogue made him out to be, and Raubahn sounded so loving mad all the time. Now so many of them are kinda just "time to act well WITH A HEAVY ACCENT" and it's...eh. I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just really got attached to the camp.

I haven't heard her yet but I'm sure Kan-E-Senna is only an improvement, though. I don't know what it was, but something about hearing her talk for extended periods was the most draining thing.

On Merlwyb I agree with the actual voice, though I contend her new VA reads the script better, so that one's kind of a wash in my mind. To me every other one was a major improvement

For top cringe run Praetorium again if you haven't recently and listen to the loving Gaius Monologues

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

Krabboss posted:

I just meld Tenacity because the damage difference between any stat isn't enough for me to justify spending 20+ million on DH VIII/VII materia.
I ripped out my direct hit materia and melded tenacity out of curiousity a few days ago on my gunbreaker and I have to say, I far prefer tenacity. My overall damage has gone down due to a drop in direct hits, but my survivability in PUGs when I do large pulls has gone up a lot more because those auto-attacks add up quickly. I spend a lot more time running dungeons than I do extreme trials/raids so yeah... tenacity it is.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Ciaphas posted:

For top cringe run Praetorium again if you haven't recently and listen to the loving Gaius Monologues

tell me for whom do you fight hmph how very glib and do you believe in eorzea eorzea's unity is forged of falsehoods its city-states are built on deceit and its faith is an instrument of deception it is naught but a cobweb of lies to believe in eorzea is to believe in nothing in eorzea the beast tribes often summon gods to fight in their stead though your comrades only rarely respond in kind which is strange is it not are the twelve otherwise engaged i was given to understand they were your protectors if you truly believe them your guardians why do you not repeat the trick that served you so well at cartenau and call them down they will answer so long as you lavish them with crystals and gorge them on aether your gods are no different from those of the beasts eikons every one accept but this and you will see how eorzea's faith is bleeding the land dry nor is this unknown to your masters which prompts the question why do they cling to these false deities what drives even men of learning even the great louisoix to grovel at their feet the answer your masters lack the strength to do otherwise for the world of man to mean anything man must own the world to this end he hath fought to raise himself through conflict to grow rich through conquest and when the dust of battle settles it is ever the strong who dictate the fate of the weak knowing this but a single path is open to the impotent ruler that of false worship a path which leads to enervation and death only a man of power can rightly steer the course of civilization and in this land of creeping mendacity that one truth will prove its salvation come champion of eorzea face me your defeat shall serve as proof of my readiness to rule it is only right that i should take your realm for none among you has the power to stop me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Merrill Grinch posted:

tell me for whom do you fight hmph how very glib and do you believe in eorzea eorzea's unity is forged of falsehoods its city-states are built on deceit and its faith is an instrument of deception it is naught but a cobweb of lies to believe in eorzea is to believe in nothing in eorzea the beast tribes often summon gods to fight in their stead though your comrades only rarely respond in kind which is strange is it not are the twelve otherwise engaged i was given to understand they were your protectors if you truly believe them your guardians why do you not repeat the trick that served you so well at cartenau and call them down they will answer so long as you lavish them with crystals and gorge them on aether your gods are no different from those of the beasts eikons every one accept but this and you will see how eorzea's faith is bleeding the land dry nor is this unknown to your masters which prompts the question why do they cling to these false deities what drives even men of learning even the great louisoix to grovel at their feet the answer your masters lack the strength to do otherwise for the world of man to mean anything man must own the world to this end he hath fought to raise himself through conflict to grow rich through conquest and when the dust of battle settles it is ever the strong who dictate the fate of the weak knowing this but a single path is open to the impotent ruler that of false worship a path which leads to enervation and death only a man of power can rightly steer the course of civilization and in this land of creeping mendacity that one truth will prove its salvation come champion of eorzea face me your defeat shall serve as proof of my readiness to rule it is only right that i should take your realm for none among you has the power to stop me

:tizzy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

alternately: [mines internally]

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

At least this time around the VAs are actually British rather than "I heard a British accent done badly in a bar once".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do enjoy how they chose 'extremely angry Yorkshireman' for the Ala Mhigan accent.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Squidtentacle posted:

You're out of your mind because the Heavensward and on VA studio is made up of Actual Professionals who talk like real human beings, unlike the ARR cast. When they have an accent, it's an actual accent.

Except for Kan-E-Senna. Kan-E-Senna sucking is a universal constant, but that's because Gridania is a blackhole of interesting characteristics and no interesting characters can escape its event horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
kan-e-senna owns