Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

The proper Ireland start is in 1066. The earliest start date isn't really that great as Ireland.

Yeah, everyone hates on it.

Personally I've done one game from the Charlemagne start and it was pretty fun. IIRC I picked Mercia because they were one of the few feudal counties and I didn't want to learn tribal mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, everyone hates on it.

Personally I've done one game from the Charlemagne start and it was pretty fun. IIRC I picked Mercia because they were one of the few feudal counties and I didn't want to learn tribal mechanics.

The main issue with Charlemagne is that it tends to be very blobby. I feel like this has improved over time though - I tend to see Europe explode into a thunderdome way more often than consolidate into one massive Francia blob, and even the Abbasids tend to shatter after a while, although that one is a bit more random. The Alexiad is usually a favorite because it starts with a lot of relatively strong nations to pick from, but nobody who is so regionally dominant that nothing can challenge them. Meanwhile with the Charlemagne start unless you're playing one of the blobs yourself, you kind of have to just wait until something tears them apart from the inside before you can get anywhere (or be close enough to China to earn grace and save up until you can just ask them to come and ruin someone).

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
769 Ireland is fine as long as you form a kingdom instead of a republic. Charlie start republics are rough as is but Ireland, like the rest of the British isles, tend to be hit by prepared invasions by the goddamned Vikings.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So I started playing CK2 again for the first time in 6 years since I was able to catch up with all of the DLC for $15 thanks to Humble Bundle.

I started playing as the Strategos of Sicily at the 769 start date, a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. For whatever reason the Emperor started giving me all sorts of titles and constantly requested I command his troops during wars.

I started out with something like a personal combat score in the 40s, thanks to all the wars the Emperor keeps declaring my strategos has slaughtered an absurd amount of rulers all over Italy and Eastern Europe. Funniest was killing the Queen of Lombardy on the battlefield.

It was completely unintended but now he's like this unstoppable war hero for the Byzantine Empire, been at war for most of his adult life and killed dozens in duels.

I'm really digging all the extra events they've added in the 6 years I haven't played.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mustang posted:

So I started playing CK2 again for the first time in 6 years since I was able to catch up with all of the DLC for $15 thanks to Humble Bundle.

I started playing as the Strategos of Sicily at the 769 start date, a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. For whatever reason the Emperor started giving me all sorts of titles and constantly requested I command his troops during wars.

I started out with something like a personal combat score in the 40s, thanks to all the wars the Emperor keeps declaring my strategos has slaughtered an absurd amount of rulers all over Italy and Eastern Europe. Funniest was killing the Queen of Lombardy on the battlefield.

It was completely unintended but now he's like this unstoppable war hero for the Byzantine Empire, been at war for most of his adult life and killed dozens in duels.

I'm really digging all the extra events they've added in the 6 years I haven't played.

With the way the Byzantine Empire is ran now (Imperial Elective) your guy is in the running to become the next emperor. Start sucking up your fellow commanders and the emperor's council and the emperor himself. You should have a vote as well, so vote for yourself.

Might wanna read up on this: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Imperial_elective

Being a commander in the Byzantine Empire these days is kind of a big deal.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 3, 2019

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mustang posted:

Wait until you try Holy Fury era Crusade mechanics... I am far from the biggest fish romping around the Middle East when the Pope calls a Crusade, but he loves a tryhard so as long as I willfully march my troops into the Muslim meat grinder do my best I often get rewarded with the spoils. 10k gold and prestige plus some random land ain't a bad trade for a couple thousand Irishmen. Deus Vult, baby.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main issue with Charlemagne is that it tends to be very blobby. I feel like this has improved over time though - I tend to see Europe explode into a thunderdome way more often than consolidate into one massive Francia blob, and even the Abbasids tend to shatter after a while, although that one is a bit more random. The Alexiad is usually a favorite because it starts with a lot of relatively strong nations to pick from, but nobody who is so regionally dominant that nothing can challenge them. Meanwhile with the Charlemagne start unless you're playing one of the blobs yourself, you kind of have to just wait until something tears them apart from the inside before you can get anywhere (or be close enough to China to earn grace and save up until you can just ask them to come and ruin someone).

Yeah, that seems to be one of the most common complaints. Charlie start + shattered world might be interesting, although blobs will probably form eventually. Be fun to see how ahistorical you could go.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

GHOST_BUTT posted:

769 Ireland is fine as long as you form a kingdom instead of a republic. Charlie start republics are rough as is but Ireland, like the rest of the British isles, tend to be hit by prepared invasions by the goddamned Vikings.

It's a problem even if you go Shattered Realm, particularly since event troops don't always seem to disappear once the, uh, event has finished.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

kingturnip posted:

It's a problem even if you go Shattered Realm, particularly since event troops don't always seem to disappear once the, uh, event has finished.

Event troops from certain things usually do stick around. I think planned invasions are that way. The tribal troops you're thinking of do disappear once there's no longer war (which is why as the player you get your levies home and stand them down before finishing the war while paused and immediately declaring another to keep the tribal stack around :black101:)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, that seems to be one of the most common complaints. Charlie start + shattered world might be interesting, although blobs will probably form eventually. Be fun to see how ahistorical you could go.

Yeah, this p. much. I can't play anything else.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
So a little story time: I only picked up the Tier 1 Humble Bundle, because it included Sword of Islam and Old Gods, two DLC I highly coveted because I spend most of my time in Western Europe. I had a game going that where I was the Spanish King of Leon and owned all of northern Iberia save for 3 counties that were the Kingdom of Navarra. The Sultan of the Umayyad held the southern half of the peninsula, and I had reached a stalemate. I'd try to snag one or two counties with strong claims but either the Sultan would repel me, or I would end up with an invalid CB because of the conditions changing (death, etc.)

So, armed with Sword of Islam, I reloaded this save to try a new twist on CK2 gameplay for myself. I swore fealty to the Sultan, uniting Iberia under the Umayyad. Then I confessed false faith(?) and created a secret Christian society within the Sultanate. Now, I've just been trying to secretly convert his entire Kingdom with a plan to somehow create a rebellion faction and take the throne/install a claimant. Is this a viable strategy? I'm just having fun.

Islam is new to me to play as, and I immediately was hit with Decadence malus because my brothers are debaucherous.

I love this game for how diverse and unique each game can be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'd imagine the fertility freezing thing is probably a separate value that gets set on your character by the event when you complete it, not actually connected to the "immortal" trait, so NPCs that come with it pregen may not benefit from it. Does she still age visually?

No, she doesn't. Although having a ten year old girl give you two kids is still not as weird as your court saying "she's a bit old for you, isn't she?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

So, armed with Sword of Islam, I reloaded this save to try a new twist on CK2 gameplay for myself. I swore fealty to the Sultan, uniting Iberia under the Umayyad. Then I confessed false faith(?) and created a secret Christian society within the Sultanate. Now, I've just been trying to secretly convert his entire Kingdom with a plan to somehow create a rebellion faction and take the throne/install a claimant. Is this a viable strategy? I'm just having fun.

Sure. It's not the easiest path but sometimes you've got to take down the system from the inside.

And if you're not playing CK2 by trying something odd just because you can then you're doing it wrong.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Sure. It's not the easiest path but sometimes you've got to take down the system from the inside.

And if you're not playing CK2 by trying something odd just because you can then you're doing it wrong.

I usually play count>emperor while always being the top liege. Now that I have a liege its interesting to have my goal be "take him down."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Honky Dong Country posted:

With the way the Byzantine Empire is ran now (Imperial Elective) your guy is in the running to become the next emperor. Start sucking up your fellow commanders and the emperor's council and the emperor himself. You should have a vote as well, so vote for yourself.

Might wanna read up on this: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Imperial_elective

Being a commander in the Byzantine Empire these days is kind of a big deal.
They don't include the whole porphyrogenitus thing? Hard to simulate, I guess.

Actually, that mechanic would be way too powerful, on second thought. Totally obliterates "my second cousin in Australia has a claim on my throne."

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Actually, that mechanic would be way too powerful, on second thought. Totally obliterates "my second cousin in Australia has a claim on my throne."

Somebody more knowledgeable than I can chime in but there is a "Born in the Purple" modifier for children born in the Imperial Palace.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As Blimpkin said, it's incorporated. Electors are more likely to vote for those who are born in the purple. And your voting power as the emperor is diminished if you aren't born in the purple yourself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I should have known!

Okay, I have the world's noobest question, and yes, I have watched Youtube videos and read Let's Plays.

I have a valid casus belli. I have troops. How the hell do I drag the troops where I want them? I can't drag. I can't click a troop and point at the location. What perzactly should I be doing?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

You should be right-clicking on a location to make a selected force move there. If that doesn't do it then IDK.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You should be right-clicking on a location to make a selected force move there. If that doesn't do it then IDK.

Aha. Thank you. I was trying to click on the "from" rather than the "to".

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aha. Thank you. I was trying to click on the "from" rather than the "to".

Make sure to assemble your army before marching on to battle.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So I gave up on my Strategos of Sicily game for the 769 start. I soon realized there were giant blobs everywhere and it seemed less fun.

Started a new game as Halfdan with the viking start. Started off pretty well and doing a lot of conquering but sicknesses/diseases were hitting constantly it seemed.

While conquering Wessex Halfdan died from one of his many illnesses and his son inherited. His son very quickly also became deathly ill and opted for a "experimental" treatment from the court physician.

He woke up with his balls cut off. What. The. gently caress.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mustang posted:

So I gave up on my Strategos of Sicily game for the 769 start. I soon realized there were giant blobs everywhere and it seemed less fun.

Started a new game as Halfdan with the viking start. Started off pretty well and doing a lot of conquering but sicknesses/diseases were hitting constantly it seemed.

While conquering Wessex Halfdan died from one of his many illnesses and his son inherited. His son very quickly also became deathly ill and opted for a "experimental" treatment from the court physician.

He woke up with his balls cut off. What. The. gently caress.

I admit, I giggled. Hope you already had an heir...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So my ruler with his balls cut off died less than a year later. His 4 year old son is ruling now.

And also racking up every sickness known to man.

That same physician is still treating the family as well....

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Worship Satan, regrow your giblets.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's 1068, I'm Murchad, I am de jure King of Mumu, I am trying to declare war on Muiredach of Deasmhumhain, and the UI still says I need 250 prestige to do it. Thoughts?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's 1068, I'm Murchad, I am de jure King of Mumu, I am trying to declare war on Muiredach of Deasmhumhain, and the UI still says I need 250 prestige to do it. Thoughts?

You're using one of the unlawful CBs from Jade Dragon. Use your chancellor to forge claims (which will cost money when it fires) and try to marry into strong claims.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Okay. So I have to forge claims even when I have de jure rights? Makes sense. Tossing this save...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay. So I have to forge claims even when I have de jure rights? Makes sense. Tossing this save...

You have to have 51%+ of the duchy de jure, then you have to claim the duchy officially it for some cash and prestige, then you have to press de jure ducal claims on the counties you want which is free.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Well, you shouldn’t need to forge a claim if the county is in your duchy. The UI complaining about you needing more prestige could mean you have to break a truce to declare war, or you chose a Jade Dragon CB instead of a vanilla one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No Pants posted:

Well, you shouldn’t need to forge a claim if the county is in your duchy. The UI complaining about you needing more prestige could mean you have to break a truce to declare war, or you chose a Jade Dragon CB instead of a vanilla one.

The only CBs visible are the ones that require prestige. Maybe I should disable Jade Dragon and see what happens.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not related to the Deasmhumhain claim thing, but if you need troops for this, you can get your one vassal really mad at you so he rebels, then beat him and revoke his title (so you don't get the tyranny malus). This gives you all the county's troops instead of what he's willing to send you, although it'll take a little while to be back at full strength.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So I accidentally married my unlanded heir to a landed woman. That heir is now my ruler, the woman is dead yet the son they had has the man that inherited his moms title as his liege, not me, his father. What the hell?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The only CBs visible are the ones that require prestige. Maybe I should disable Jade Dragon and see what happens.

That's because you don't have a legal claim. Unless you've inherited a claim on a county, or are its de jure liege (IE the duke of the duchy it's in, or king of the kingdom it's in, or emperor of the empire it's in) then you have no legal CB on it and your only options are the ones that're expensive on prestige. I'm not saying to not use those CBs, but it's wise to forge claims and play the marrying game too. When it comes to expansion you in general want to get several plates spinning since plans can take time to come to fruition.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
For my Mumu games, which is where I learned much of the mechanics, I used mainly strong fabricated claims. I would fabricate claims on counties, trying to gather 2-3 to press all at once, while in the meantime, plotting to revoke titles within my kingdom. As you go, early on, you can hold a fairly large personal demesne which is best because then you can raise a lot more levies. In addition, I try to build baronies in my capital as early as I can because those additional troops come in handy later on.

If you need to land a claimant, make sure you check their claim strength vs. the liege you'd be attacking. All too often I think I'm grabbing a perfect person to press a claim for only to find out that their claim is weak and against a 24 year old super chad, not a regency or anything.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where it gets really complicated is where you can press somebody else's claim if they're in your court, and if you land them first, then the new lands you conquer in their name will become part of your realm, which means you can waste a lot of time hunting for errant claimants to hand a barony and then start a war.

You might want to give the in-game tutorial a go if you're still figuring things out on like a keyboard level. Iberia tends to be more exciting than Ireland anyways.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

You might want to give the in-game tutorial a go if you're still figuring things out on like a keyboard level. Iberia tends to be more exciting than Ireland anyways.
I got really frustrated by the tutorial because it was demanding that I raise ships and attack over water while I was still defending at home. I'll give it another whirl.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Does anyone successfully play this game on a Mac? I bought the humble bundle & was trying to play on my 15" Macbook Pro and having some issues installing DLC (failed to install, application configuration errors) but eventually got it all to show up. I launched a game, started playing and the first time I tried to marry someone (OK, the second, I got rejected :smith:) the game hard crashed to desktop.

When I launched it gave a pop-up about not being optimized for my Mac & to contact the developer, so I haven't tried to play again, is it a known thing that the Mac version sucks?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I haven't run CKII on a mac laptop since I got my desktop up and running. The last time I tried it (with a 15" 2015 MBP in 2016? 2017?) it ran okay but got so hot that the processor started to burn my legs.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I decided to get back into the game since the humble bundle had a ton of DLC and I haven't really played since The Old Gods was released... Is there an updated Ireland 1066 start guide or something so I can get my feet wet and figure out the mechanics again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

charity rereg posted:

Does anyone successfully play this game on a Mac? I bought the humble bundle & was trying to play on my 15" Macbook Pro and having some issues installing DLC (failed to install, application configuration errors) but eventually got it all to show up. I launched a game, started playing and the first time I tried to marry someone (OK, the second, I got rejected :smith:) the game hard crashed to desktop.

When I launched it gave a pop-up about not being optimized for my Mac & to contact the developer, so I haven't tried to play again, is it a known thing that the Mac version sucks?
I'm playing it quite cheerfully on my mid-2015 (why can't Apple do actual product numbers why why) Macbook pro.

That pop-up is just an rear end in a top hat move by Apple. OS Catalina is going to make some apps impossible to run unless the devs do a port, and Apple has decided to make users do the pressuring. Ignore that message and continue. You've already bought the app, might as well play it; with any luck at all the Civ developers will do the necessary work.

e: Re heat, I play on a lapdesk, so I wouldn't know. I don't get the loud fan whir that other processor-heavy games cause.

edit edit: Is there any reason I want a Paradox account? I mean, I have more than enough forums. Unless they occasionally drop free DLC or coupons or something, I'd just as soon skip.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 4, 2019