Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
No is actually pronounce Ho-do-roff-ski but Ho is in back of throat sound, not for American voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

skasion posted:

The true horniest sf writer was Cordwainer Smith who wrote a whole book about a sexy badass cat girl hooker in the future, named after his own cat

Wild to be a writer named Cordwainer. Hot diggity did his parents ever miscalculate.

Also that picture lmao

Doc Hawkins posted:

Hey, everyone, read The Jet-Propelled Couch, a two-part article in Harpers (part I, part II) from the 50s.

Oh, he named himself that? Weird as hell.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

“Witches Leave” in Clarence Boddicker voice is the best post in this thread

Who did that?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Cordwainer Smith was a real character. his godfather was Sun Yat-sen. his day job was acting as a psychological warfare and propaganda expert for the CIA.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I remember this seeing a bunch of years ago and desperately searching for it as if it was a real product. It isn't. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

Cordwainer Smith was a real character. his godfather was Sun Yat-sen. his day job was acting as a psychological warfare and propaganda expert for the CIA.

Witches leave.

Oh, gently caress, out of body experience lmao :eyepop:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

D. Ebdrup posted:

I remember this seeing a bunch of years ago and desperately searching for it as if it was a real product. It isn't. :(

Half tumeric (for the circumin, which is supposedly pretty good for you except for the fact it's ridiculously bad at being bioavailable).
One Quarter Paprika (For the taste)
One Quarter Pepper (For the piperine which helps makes the circumin bioavailable so it actually works a bit)

Maybe stick some cayenne pepper or some cloves or fenugreek in there for shits and giggles yanno

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

What color is spice? Based on the fact that it smells/tastes similar to cinnamon, I've always thought of it as reddish-brown, but in God Emperor there's a comment about it glowing blue, which would make the Eyes of Ibad make more sense. Is it just whatever Frank felt like that day?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Its deffo blue.

Spice essence is blue and regular spice glows blue as you mentioned. The only mismatch is that Edric floats in orange spice :gas:, so.maybe it's different in gaseous form. Then again, Leto II farts in blue when a light rain sprinkles him on the sareer (I want to smell it haha).

Even concept art by Chris Foss from Jodo's Dune has space pirates spilling blue spice from a breached hull in their spaceship

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 4, 2019

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

one sort of funny thing that stood out to me in jodorowsky’s dune is how charismatic jodo is despite being a bit up his own rear end, vs someone like nicholas winding-refn (who they interviewed in the doc), and who was no less pretentious than jodo but lacked any of his charm.

dan o’bannon’s anecdote about meeting him was loving amazing

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I always envisioned Spice as looking exactly like cinnamon

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Super Waffle posted:

I always envisioned Spice as looking exactly like cinnamon

Gang of teenage fremen daring each other to eat a tablespoon of Spice. "Look at this water-fat little bitch I bet he even walks with rhythm lmao"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

magic cactus posted:

"Look at this water-fat little bitch I bet he even walks with rhythm lmao"

*kick flips a maker hook*

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Honky Dong Country posted:

*kick flips a maker hook*

fuckin' :krad:

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

*Fremen teen desperately looking for eye-drops in his mother's medicine cabinet to hide the fact he's been doing melange*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wizzanthos posted:

What color is spice? Based on the fact that it smells/tastes similar to cinnamon, I've always thought of it as reddish-brown, but in God Emperor there's a comment about it glowing blue, which would make the Eyes of Ibad make more sense. Is it just whatever Frank felt like that day?
Raw spice is purplish on the sands, the substance itself seems to be day-glo blue even if it smells like cinnamon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

alexandriao posted:

Half tumeric (for the circumin, which is supposedly pretty good for you except for the fact it's ridiculously bad at being bioavailable).
One Quarter Paprika (For the taste)
One Quarter Pepper (For the piperine which helps makes the circumin bioavailable so it actually works a bit)

Maybe stick some cayenne pepper or some cloves or fenugreek in there for shits and giggles yanno
It's just a pun, though - like, that's pretty much the only reason it's there.

Speaking of the color of spice, I went looking because I thought the spice when fresh from a blow was described as purple, but I couldn't find the passage. Instead, I found the passage that mentions the sandtrout part of the whole lifecycle, and it specifically mentions carbon dioxide being produced by them - so I guess sandtrout live off the hydrogen of the water rather than the oxygen, as I'd assumed.
This also might mean that it's probably both the sandworms and the sand plankton that is responsible for changing the carbon dioxide into oxygen as both the original novel and GEoD mentions the oxygen producing part of sandworms.
Does this mean sandworms are more plant-based until Leto II leaves his pearls of awareness in them and they suddenly become more animal-like?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Pearls of awareness are stored in the balls

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'll have you know I wear my pearls of awareness around my neck because they're pretty.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Anne Frank Funk posted:

It is by piss alone I set my balls in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that balls acquire piss, the toilet acquires stains, the stains become a warning. It is by piss alone I set my balls in motion.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Looks orange to me!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kull wahad!

(Kickin' Ibad?)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'll have you know I wear my pearls of awareness around my neck because they're pretty.

I gave you that necklace and you have yet to even say thank you :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mad Hamish posted:

Kull wahad!

(Kickin' Ibad?)

I really want a :krad: emote that says kull wahad now

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I gave you that necklace and you have yet to even say thank you :colbert:

I consider it payment for services rendered. There is no water debt between us. :colbert:

sebmojo posted:

I really want a kickin rad emote that says kull wahad now

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

Kull wahad!

(Kickin' Ibad?)

And how can this be? For he is the Kickflip Haderach!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

sebmojo posted:

Wouldn't an edit of :vince: fit the nature of the expression better though?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I consider it payment for services rendered. There is no water debt between us. :colbert:

:yeshaha:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

magic cactus posted:

Wouldn't an edit of :vince: fit the nature of the expression better though?

this with reverend mother mohiam from lynch dune and the last frame is KULL WAHAD!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

magic cactus posted:

It is by piss alone I set my balls in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that balls acquire piss, the toilet acquires stains, the stains become a warning. It is by piss alone I set my balls in motion.

:vince:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Underpearls goes inside the pants.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

THE BAR posted:

Looks orange to me!

Surprisingly hard to find screenshots of spice in Emperor Battle for Dune, but I swear it was more dark purple-ish.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

sebmojo posted:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Vlex posted:

Surprisingly hard to find screenshots of spice in Emperor Battle for Dune, but I swear it was more dark purple-ish.

Nah, the spice in Emperor: Battle For Dune is orange as well.

source: i've played more emperor battle for dune than most people ever have

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I thought the idea was spice is cinnamon like in its raw form and then it turns blue if it is processed a certain way. or that it turns blue under certain kinds of light. I dunno. I just know that I read it being described as blue at some point.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

I thought the idea was spice is cinnamon like in its raw form and then it turns blue if it is processed a certain way. or that it turns blue under certain kinds of light. I dunno. I just know that I read it being described as blue at some point.

Now I'm wondering if there's a sect of like, organic spice only Fremen who only take it unprocessed.

Maker's own.

(It's like newman's own but it's got maud'dib on the label)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

In the westwood games, spice is red-orange like cinnamon.

Westwood canon is not really canon, much as i'd like it to be, and it's actually way better lore than Brian's/KJA's contributions, but Emperor's storyline is like a really, really weird mix of Dune with mutated bits of God Emperor mixed in, it is also an odd mix of like, clearly cribbing from Lynch's Dune in art direction and even has heart plugs and other lynch-only stuff like the sound weapons, so their spice color is just a choice they made and probably shouldn't be reflective of anything in the books.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Riot Bimbo posted:

In the westwood games, spice is red-orange like cinnamon.

Westwood canon is not really canon, much as i'd like it to be, and it's actually way better lore than Brian's/KJA's contributions, but Emperor's storyline is like a really, really weird mix of Dune with mutated bits of God Emperor mixed in, it is also an odd mix of like, clearly cribbing from Lynch's Dune in art direction and even has heart plugs and other lynch-only stuff like the sound weapons, so their spice color is just a choice they made and probably shouldn't be reflective of anything in the books.

For some reason this just made me realize how badly I want a CK II style game set in Frank's universe with the Lynch film's aesthetics. Probably too much to hope for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

magic cactus posted:

For some reason this just made me realize how badly I want a CK II style game set in Frank's universe with the Lynch film's aesthetics. Probably too much to hope for though.

Pdox dune game would rule