Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nolan's biggest crime was filming parts of TDK in IMAX but the rest in 2.35:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I thought it was killing Heath Ledger?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's just becoming a contest of who can have the most galaxy brain take to hand wave away Nolan's dumber decisions.

Dumb can be good and entertaining, too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No, Queen Elizabeth ordered that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

“A really funny scene where Hulk is eating pancakes is fast, it’s funny, it makes you really happy, and it is a scene I haven’t seen in a superhero movie before,” Markus said. “Let’s accept that challenge and try to push the whole thing forward, push the genre forward.”

A quote from one of the visionary writers of endgame on how they broke cinematic boundaries by having a superhero....eat breakfast?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hellboy ate pancakes years before Endgame.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Did bellboy eat pancakes in the reboot? If not I feel like we’re gaining key insights on what the movies need, in addition to “hellboy needs to gently caress”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He died later while filming another movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve2911 posted:

This was the best part of the movie though.

In IMAX when it went big you know poo poo was about to go down. It’s still one of the best cinematic experiences I’ve ever had.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

In IMAX when it went big you know poo poo was about to go down. It’s still one of the best cinematic experiences I’ve ever had.

yeah i saw TDK at like 6:30am on the Saturday after it came out on the biggest screen in New York City and it felt loving epic. Not too many movies since then have really felt that big to me. (Godzilla is the other notable one)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think Fury Road and Annihilation were the only movies after TDK to capture that scale for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

“A really funny scene where Hulk is eating pancakes is fast, it’s funny, it makes you really happy, and it is a scene I haven’t seen in a superhero movie before,” Markus said. “Let’s accept that challenge and try to push the whole thing forward, push the genre forward.”

A quote from one of the visionary writers of endgame on how they broke cinematic boundaries by having a superhero....eat breakfast?

That was a fun scene

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've been eating pancakes for years and it is rarely fast or funny for me. Completely ruined my immersion.

I will grant that pancakes often do make me really happy, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I loving hate pancakes, the fatty pieces of poo poo!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what was more entertaining? Hulk's daddy eating a big rear end cable and becoming an electricity man.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It was a funny scene but "made people really happy" and "pushing the whole genre forward" are extremely lofty ways to describe it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the most memorable scene in thor 1 involved him eating breakfast

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dont believe the coverup, Heath Ledger died from going too method as Doctor Parnassus

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite scene in Thor is when Hawkeye aims his bow at Thor for a few minutes but then puts it down, turns to camera, and says "Someday... I'm gonna fire a bow... I'm gonna fire it real good"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know what was more entertaining? Hulk's daddy eating a big rear end cable and becoming an electricity man.

Hulk 2003 is art.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

The lead up was amazing...

Running through tunnels in Chicago to get Joker cards, holding fake Harvey Dent rallies. I'm a big believer in The Dark Knight needing reevaluation in just how loving good it is, but the whole thing was such a memorable experience. Fake newspapers and forums discussing Batman through social contracts.

It's funny to remember how Iron Man was very much an also-ran at the time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm remember RDJ said The Dark Knight was too complicated to follow and he didn't understand/get it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

I'm remember RDJ said The Dark Knight was too complicated to follow and he didn't understand/get it.

A lot of actors are not exactly members of MENSA.

Edit: I remember Jonathan Frakes saying about the TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise," "To this day I have no idea what the gently caress was going on in that episode." Even though it's about as straightforward as an alternate-timeline episode ever made.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm a big believer in The Dark Knight needing reevaluation in just how loving good it is

i dunno every time i watch it all i can think is "drat what a good-rear end movie". Heath Ledger is so good, the movie basically runs at 120MPH the whole time, and it just feels like a big loving deal, which is sort of impressive given the rather small scale of the movie.

edit: let's not all be surprised that the man who thought The Judge was gonna be a smash isn't the brightest bulb in the box

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 5, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Found the quote, it's worse than I remember lol:

Robert Downey Jr. posted:

My whole thing is that that I saw The Dark Knight.... It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved The Prestige but didn't understand The Dark Knight. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f-king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC Comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/robert-downey-jr-didnt-understand-didnt-get-dark-knight

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DC Murderverse posted:

i dunno every time i watch it all i can think is "drat what a good-rear end movie". Heath Ledger is so good, the movie basically runs at 120MPH the whole time, and it just feels like a big loving deal, which is sort of impressive given the rather small scale of the movie.

edit: let's not all be surprised that the man who thought The Judge was gonna be a smash isn't the brightest bulb in the box

I think it holds up really well, but it does feel a bit bloated length-wise imo. The China sequence is an excuse for an action scene, but I'm not convinced the same narrative end result couldn't have been accomplished in a more streamlined manner. Ledger remains absolutely electric throughout, though. Like that performance is - no pun intended - no joke. It was still as good when I saw it a month ago as it was when I first saw it years ago, even with its pop culture oversaturation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tart Kitty posted:

I think it holds up really well, but it does feel a bit bloated length-wise imo. The China sequence is an excuse for an action scene, but I'm not convinced the same narrative end result couldn't have been accomplished in a more streamlined manner. Ledger remains absolutely electric throughout, though. Like that performance is - no pun intended - no joke. It was still as good when I saw it a month ago as it was when I first saw it years ago, even with its pop culture oversaturation.

It's absolutely bloated. Not as much as Rises (Jesus Christ, Jonah Nolan), but a rewrite could have cut probably 20 minutes of cruft out of the movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well, that was the first movie of his where the studio said “yeah we have no notes”, so of course it (and his next three pictures) get a little flabby before he somehow clicked back in to “cut it to the bone” with Dunkirk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

Well, that was the first movie of his where the studio said “yeah we have no notes”, so of course it (and his next three pictures) get a little flabby before he somehow clicked back in to “cut it to the bone” with Dunkirk.

I still maintain the reason Dunkirk was so lean was because Jonah Nolan was nowhere near the script.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tart Kitty posted:

Nah, Batman essentially doing extraordinary rendition on behalf of the cops dovetails with his complicity later on. It's another good sign that Batman is not a good thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

It's absolutely bloated. Not as much as Rises (Jesus Christ, Jonah Nolan), but a rewrite could have cut probably 20 minutes of cruft out of the movie.
It's just such a meal of a movie, that I don't really mind. I do think that things could be condensed, but there is never a part that drags for me. Like the China part is cited a lot as something that can be cut... but I don't understand why people want to take away this little Batman/Lucius Fox heist film in the middle of my movie. I remember how drained I was when I watched it initially, and I liked that feeling a lot.

As an aside, and not that you're saying this, but folks who've argued that the movie should have ended when the Joker is initially arrested or ended with a Harvey Dent cliffhanger are basically asking for a shittier movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timeless Appeal posted:

I remember how drained I was when I watched it initially, and I liked that feeling a lot.
I did the 3 movie marathon leading up to DKR and we were all loving wiped after TDK.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Dark Knight is one of those Nolan movies that simultaneously manage to be too fast but also too bloated. None of Michael Caine's jokes land because of the bad scene editing blasting you to the next thing it has lined up (and the frequently bad sound mixing). There's weird poo poo like Batman doing detective work on the bullet fingerprint that just seem to be come out of nowhere with little payoff.

But then there manages to be like seven separate climaxes. The boat sequence grinds the third act to a halt, and the cell phone sonar fight was a pretty dull sequence compared to how amazing the interrogation scene or the truck chase was.

The movie is also made worse in retrospect by TDKR since its themes were not followed up on remotely well.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 5, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I do wonder if being dumb isn't a boon for an actor--like your brain is less self-conscious or recursive or something.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
As dumb as actors are they are geniuses compared to musicians in my experience.

Tbf most people are p stupid outside of a couple areas/topics

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

The fun thing about starting to study any one subject or field is how quickly you realize that you now know enough to know just how little you actually know.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blood Boils posted:

Not me! I'm smart and so goddamn sane!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blood Boils posted:

The levels of obsession and talent you need to get insanely good at something rarely make for a balanced person.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Andy Serkis is directing Venom 2.

I haven't seen his Jungle Book, but this seems good. The worst stuff in the first one were the symbiote fights, hopefully his mocap experience will help make them stand out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not me! I'm smart and so goddamn sane!

Me too! Whoa :cheers: