Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Na im pretty sure the blame video games take that fox news had was worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4e39_story.html

Please remember to send our beloved Mitch your thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of and praying for my homeboy Finny

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
get well soon Cocaine Mitch

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Usually it's hip fractures that do in old people but hey I'm ok with the turtle breaking his shell and dying.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Does anyone know where his neighbor was?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
BTW while we're doing dumb takes:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnDelaney/status/1158054934765539330

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like to think that between the shootings, the Moscow Mitch thing, and the coal miners taking action, mitch cracked open his strategic pappy reserve to avoid thinking of the various things he has caused and/or abetted, and ended up tripping over a phone cord as he drunkenly swerved around the corridors of his presumably massive estate house.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Christ, I didn't realize the turtle was 77. I really do not understand what drives these people, they are inhuman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arven posted:

Christ, I didn't realize the turtle was 77. I really do not understand what drives these people, they are inhuman.

Some people have absolute lust for power, and he is literally the most powerful man in the nation and has been for quite some time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mitch McConnel has usurped the nation and everyone has just sat back and said "welp" because the donor checks keep getting cashed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It has got to be possible to get a bipartisan consensus that if you are really into murder you get your license revoked and guns pulled. Like massage the wording a bit so it doesn't apply to Fox News commenters, old farts don't shoot as many people anyway. Just get the 8chan crowd disarmed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Please, thread, find solace in the fact that nobody is going to have a take quite so bad as this guy.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928

And “homicides due to handguns doubled” is right there in his terrible take.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

aphid_licker posted:

It has got to be possible to get a bipartisan consensus that if you are really into murder you get your license revoked and guns pulled. Like massage the wording a bit so it doesn't apply to Fox News commenters, old farts don't shoot as many people anyway. Just get the 8chan crowd disarmed.

Old farts tend to shoot their victims one at a time - lost people asking for help, kids waiting for a friend at the store, etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Use your strawman arguments somewhere else.

My interpretation of what you said may not be what you meant but that doesn’t mean I’m straw manning you. There used to be methods for addressing domestic terrorism and white supremacy specifically and the reason those got rolled back was because they were hurting the Republican base, not because the intelligence collecting methods were too invasive. I think you’re right to be concerned about the current administration but the intelligence community and federal law enforcement has so far managed to stay on the level, DHS and CBP aside.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Old farts tend to shoot their victims one at a time - lost people asking for help, kids waiting for a friend at the store, etc.

Someone who has their hippity hops too loud at a gas station...

Edit: wait did that guy only shoot one person or did he shoot every one in the car because castle doctrine gave him the right to not move away from the stereo i dont remember

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stravag posted:

Edit: wait did that guy only shoot one person or did he shoot every one in the car because castle doctrine gave him the right to not move away from the stereo i dont remember

I think he hit multiple people in the car but killed one

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stravag posted:

I thought that guy literally slit a kid's throat for the crime of "hearing the kid's music from the kid's earbuds" aka "existing while black"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wasn't there someone who shot someone in a theater over talking too much or eating their popcorn too loudly?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't there someone who shot someone in a theater over talking too much or eating their popcorn too loudly?

A retired cop shot a guy after complaining about his texting. He tried to say he was defending himself after escalating the situation into a fight.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/us/stand-your-ground-movie-trial/index.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What's the issue with requiring liability insurance for gun ownership? This is one of those cases where conservatives are happy to socialize costs, for some reason. Hell, even have it run as a public program, but stop making the rest of us pay for the injuries, funeral costs, and emergency responses for your hobby.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 4, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

It's remarkable that the world outside of the USA is a wasteland of women getting raped and the children and elderly being mugged and murdered every day because they don't have guns to protect themselves

My fiancees's grandmother literally thinks this. She asked us why we were visiting dangerous third world countries like Italy and Japan.

She watches a lot of Fox News.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the issue with requiring liability insurance for gun ownership? This is one of those cases where conservatives are happy to socialize costs, for some reason.

Because it's another free market band aid over the festering wound of the actual problem.

If it becomes a thing I'm totally getting into the insurance business though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fallom posted:

A retired cop shot a guy after complaining about his texting. He tried to say he was defending himself after escalating the situation into a fight.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/us/stand-your-ground-movie-trial/index.html

For gently caress's sake

Honestly the mental health concern should be the mindstate of people who buy a loving gun expecting/hoping to shoot someone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MRC48B posted:

Because it's another free market band aid over the festering wound of the actual problem.

It doesn't address the violence/suicide/injury problem at all, it just stops the gun people from offloading the costs onto the rest of us. It can also be run as a non-profit public program to avoid private market rent seeking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the issue with requiring liability insurance for gun ownership? This is one of those cases where conservatives are happy to socialize costs, for some reason. Hell, even have it run as a public program, but stop making the rest of us pay for the injuries, funeral costs, and emergency responses for your hobby.

It removes some of the personal responsibility of shooting someone. Also that ^, I hadn't thought about that one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It'd be the only insurance to cover what it says it'll cover without any arbitrary after-the-fact rescission.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Please, thread, find solace in the fact that nobody is going to have a take quite so bad as this guy.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928

I said it in Discord but Neil's 15 minutes of fame riding Sagan's coat tails are up and he needs to go back to research.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MRC48B posted:

If it becomes a thing I'm totally getting into the insurance business though.

Yeah, you're late to that party.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com

So late that the NRA actually just shut down their carry guard insurance.

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/the-nra-ends-its-carry-guard-insurance-program/

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49229054

One of the Dayton shooter's first victims was his own sister.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

EBB posted:

I said it in Discord but Neil's 15 minutes of fame riding Sagan's coat tails are up and he needs to go back to research.

I used to like Star Talk or whatever it was called but yeah he's really gone off the rails.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just make semi-automatics NFA items (and fund the ATF so they can actually process applications in a relatively timely manner) and you'd probably cut down the amount of gun violence in this country by a massive amount while still allowing ownership of pretty much whatever to people who follow the law. It's really a pretty win-win solution for all sides and would require very little change to legislation.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fuckin' yikes, that was a hell of a body count in a short amount of time.

https://twitter.com/DaytonPolice/status/1158149889043439621

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

my kinda ape posted:

Just make semi-automatics NFA items (and fund the ATF so they can actually process applications in a relatively timely manner) and you'd probably cut down the amount of gun violence in this country by a massive amount while still allowing ownership of pretty much whatever to people who follow the law. It's really a pretty win-win solution for all sides and would require very little change to legislation.

Is there a grandfather clause or am I suddenly going to have to cough up a couple thousand dollars to avoid committing a felony?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

McNally posted:

Is there a grandfather clause or am I suddenly going to have to cough up a couple thousand dollars to avoid committing a felony?

We could probably do away with the fee too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

We could probably do away with the fee too.

I think he brings up a related point which is that there's already so many guns in circulation that you'd need to way to control or reduce them, otherwise you're suddenly going to have a massive black market for unlicensed firearms.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arc Light posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49229054

One of the Dayton shooter's first victims was his own sister.

there's no loving way thats a coincidence

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nice to see LEOs engage the shooter, instead of sitting on their asses.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

McNally posted:

In NZ owners of outlawed firearms are being compensated by a buyback scheme. I doubt any of them are happy about it, but the owners I know have generally accepted it as the new reality.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jaguars! posted:

In NZ owners of outlawed firearms are being compensated by a buyback scheme. I doubt any of them are happy about it, but the owners I know have generally accepted it as the new reality.

There are over 390 million firearms in the US. If we extremely conservatively estimate that ten percent of them are semiauto and average $500 per gun that's $19.5 billion

The same Congress who says $5.6 billion over ten years is too expensive to stop loving over war widows is going to fork over three and a half times that much in one go for something that's probably going to hit single digit compliance rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

McNally posted:

The same Congress who says $5.6 billion over ten years is too expensive to stop loving over war widows is going to fork over three and a half times that much in one go for something that's probably going to hit single digit compliance rates?

I'm not saying it's right, but: possibly?

And if it only hits single-digit compliance rates, the program's cost will obviously be quite a bit lower.