Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Chadzok posted:

ugh pleease have unreal tournament irl before I'm too old to compete effectively

Too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chadzok posted:

ugh pleease have unreal tournament irl before I'm too old to compete effectively

If you have a PCVR Headset go buy Space Junkies. It's basically the same thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are there any utilities for testing your headsets panel? I noticed a bunch of pixels appeared to be staying lighter than they should the other day and I'd like to try to isolate the conditions in which it occurs / is noticable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve never done 6DOF. I just got a Quest today after only ever using the Go.

Tea For God blew my brain up. I want that endless walking locomotion in a triple-a game so bad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Protocol7 posted:

You don't have to sterilize it if you never take it off.

But in an ironic twist, it will sterilize you in that case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Republicans posted:

Hence the "no running" in big letters on the wall.

lol, every lasertag place has this rule and not a single person abides by it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, every lasertag place has this rule and not a single person abides by it.

It's literally just there so you can't sue them when you break a leg eventually or ram down a kid at full speed.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I remember playing laser tag as a kid, and seeing the kids that would take off the headset, and cover up the side of their gun that could be shot so they could sit behind cover invincible shooting people...

A version of laser tag where you could be throwing grenades, grabbing quad damage and health pickups, shooting railguns and rocket launchers while someone shoots the exploding barrel next to you and people couldn't cheat, would be pretty amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ahhhhhhhh. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/1157274928015716352?s=21

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Nice! Still no word on what the third thing is though?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I might be getting a Rift this month.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Red Matter is getting a Quest release this month. Supposedly this video is rendered with Quest graphics.

If true, wireless VR has a long healthy future ahead of it because things can only get better from here

https://www-roadtovr-com.cdn.amppro...-launch-date%2F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCltmN3nQk

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you actually downloading stereoscopic videos?

Yes, the ones that have 2 pictures next to each other if you watch them with a normal player.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So apparently Valve cancelled the VirtualLink adapter for the Index, citing reliability issues and practically no uptake of the standard on the more relevant systems for it, i.e. laptops.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why didn't Valve build the headset virtual link native?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wasn't it supposed to ship like yesterday, how do they cancel it last minute without having a warehouse full of the things?

Hadlock posted:

Why didn't Valve build the headset virtual link native?
I'm guessing that's just somewhere they decided to save some money, the Virtuallink mux chips aren't cheap for something in 2019 that not a lot of people are actually going to be able to use.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Wasn't it supposed to ship like yesterday, how do they cancel it last minute without having a warehouse full of the things?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but people actually want these and presumably they at least work a little bit even if they're maybe unreliable. Just say "hey this poo poo sucks you sure you still want it" and gently caress it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but people actually want these and presumably they at least work a little bit even if they're maybe unreliable. Just say "hey this poo poo sucks you sure you still want it" and gently caress it

Because it's a bad idea to sell something that sometimes works. Even if it says in large letters on the box "THIS DOESN'T WORK THAT WELL" some dipshit will start a twitter campaign about how Valve is the worst company since Hitler.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone played Dungeon Brewmaster..? It's a fun little cooking game with a D&D theme, I'm stuck right near the start - a bunch of goblins in a queue wanting A frog leg, a leech head, a leech tail, a plant thorn - all ok, then the last guy wants what looks like an iron bowl, can't figure what that is on my shelves. If the game had an in-game grimoire with all the ingredients in it that would be helpful.

edit: ah, my recipie book did not update like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sooSuFBCR50&t=290s

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 3, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's no H3VR update this week, but there is one hell of a DevLog to preview what's coming in an Alpha next week :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0UUvX-69yQ

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any info on when Valve will restock the Index?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dizz posted:

Is there any info on when Valve will restock the Index?

Right now? Everything except the controllers says delivery in 4-8 business days.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cojawfee posted:

Right now? Everything except the controllers says delivery in 4-8 business days.

...wow! they must have ramped up production pretty fast

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hadlock posted:

Red Matter is getting a Quest release this month. Supposedly this video is rendered with Quest graphics.

If true, wireless VR has a long healthy future ahead of it because things can only get better from here

https://www-roadtovr-com.cdn.amppro...-launch-date%2F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCltmN3nQk

That's really impressive.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's no H3VR update this week, but there is one hell of a DevLog to preview what's coming in an Alpha next week :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0UUvX-69yQ

Yay more wibbly bits!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

No, it's a bad idea to sell a bad product, if Virtual Link doesn't work 100% there is no good reason for Valve to sell them. Someone else will certainly make cables for them (after all it's just usb + hdmi + power) so anyone can make the cable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It isn't just that, its an active adapter

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

It isn't just that, its an active adapter

Well even so I'm sure it's an open spec so someone else can make the cable and deal with the support headache of a partly functional cable. It makes all the sense in the world for Valve to refuse to sell a cable that doesn't work 100% of the time. It's a cable, users don't accept the failure of a cable, I'm personally still annoyed with the 1 in 100 times HDMI fails to handshake.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Man trying to get real time records in Superhot speedruns on Quest is a real workout if you're an out of shape meatblob like me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stick100 posted:

Well even so I'm sure it's an open spec so someone else can make the cable and deal with the support headache of a partly functional cable. It makes all the sense in the world for Valve to refuse to sell a cable that doesn't work 100% of the time. It's a cable, users don't accept the failure of a cable, I'm personally still annoyed with the 1 in 100 times HDMI fails to handshake.

That also answers what will happen to the ones the already made.

They will sell to an oem who will rebrand them

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Is there any way of rebinding controls in Superhot VR for oculus? I launch it through steam and have tried changing the bindings in steam vr, but I think it's launching in Oculus mode for the Rift S. I have way more trouble getting consistent throwing on the Rift S compared to on the Vive, wanted to try binding throw to just a button instead of the grips. Anyone know how to do that or if it's possible?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Me: ducking behind cover as I reload my M-4 carbine, fully immersed in a virtually reality gun battle.

Mewgene Debs:
INVISIBLE CAT NUZZLES

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shoefish posted:

Is there any way of rebinding controls in Superhot VR for oculus? I launch it through steam and have tried changing the bindings in steam vr, but I think it's launching in Oculus mode for the Rift S. I have way more trouble getting consistent throwing on the Rift S compared to on the Vive, wanted to try binding throw to just a button instead of the grips. Anyone know how to do that or if it's possible?

Not sure how recently you played,

They recently (last three weeks?) pushed an update to the quest version which seems to have fixed throwing mechanics

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Friend played it after the update. Its throwing mechanics still aren’t great.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just tried Puppy Chef Academy since its a free cooking game. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything nice to write about it.

It almost works on a lot of levels. The stove almost behaves how you'd expect a stove to behave. Controls are almost intuitive. They almost have a decent solution to locomotion being clumsy. The character models are almost inoffensive. They almost use the headset microphone for something interesting. The list of things they almost did correct goes on and on and on.

On the other hand, it has the most aggravating tutorial/intro/legal disclaimer I've seen in any game ever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Superhot VR throwing mechanics kinda suck no matter what

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LLSix posted:

I just tried Puppy Chef Academy since its a free cooking game. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything nice to write about it.

It almost works on a lot of levels. The stove almost behaves how you'd expect a stove to behave. Controls are almost intuitive. They almost have a decent solution to locomotion being clumsy. The character models are almost inoffensive. They almost use the headset microphone for something interesting. The list of things they almost did correct goes on and on and on.

On the other hand, it has the most aggravating tutorial/intro/legal disclaimer I've seen in any game ever.

I played the Vertigo 2 demo last night and had a similar experience, that game is so close to being a good Half-Life-ish VR game, but bungles a lot of the simplest things.

For example, the game offers full locomotion in addition to teleportation, great! But if you walk up to a desk and lean over to look at something on it you will be sickeningly pushed backwards. They implemented some kind of push back system, probably to prevent you from cheating by sticking your head through walls, but it prevents your head from ever being directly above any geometry that isn't the floor. Even unlevel floor surfaces will do it.

The whole demo was filled with poo poo like that. Physics items that don't make sounds when you throw them, neat looking enemies that just teleport in and stand in one place shooting, swimming controls that are never explained and I never fully figured out, a shotgun that claims to slowly regenerate ammo but never did.

I'm really hoping that demo isn't indicative of the final quality, because I really want it to be a good game. It's so close.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fellow Soundboxers, I want to share a deceptively difficult challenge with you, Caramelldansen. The beat map for this challenge seems really simple, so simple I didn't bother to finish it the first time I played it. Give it a chance and just try to play all the way through though and you'll find that the simple, repetitive motions require enough energy that it is hard to keep up with. Once you think you have the base song down, you can add another level of difficulty in - try and move your weight back and forth in time with the beat/video and suddenly you've got a full body workout going. Even better, try and jump with the beat the way the people in the video are doing.

Once you're doing the jumping motion, this song is physically exhausting. It's less than three minutes long and I still can't get through the whole thing without scaling back to moving my legs less even after a month of practice. Fortunately, the challenge maker built in several convenient break points to allow you to catch your breath. It's one of my favorite songs to put in at the "peak" of my workouts now. Because the beat map is so simple, it never feels unfair, it is purely a test of your physical endurance.

In related news, I lost ten pounds last month and my only exercise came from VR games like Soundboxing. Anyone else got challenges they love for exercise?

Tip posted:

For example, the game offers full locomotion in addition to teleportation, great! But if you walk up to a desk and lean over to look at something on it you will be sickeningly pushed backwards. They implemented some kind of push back system, probably to prevent you from cheating by sticking your head through walls, but it prevents your head from ever being directly above any geometry that isn't the floor. Even unlevel floor surfaces will do it.

That's crazy. They need to get rid of that. If they can push back they should be able to just have invisible walls instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Superhot VR throwing mechanics kinda suck no matter what

Fact. All controllers are hard to throw in that game.