Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

So it used to be that if you suspected someone was aimhacking, you would spectate them to confirm. Now that spectating is disabled, what do you do when you think an enemy player might be hacking?

Wtf? spectating is gone? drat this game has gone to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, I wasn't expecting this to be handled so well in the end. A smart compromise all things considered.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Peanut President posted:

hey Underlords got an update today so they got at least 1 dude on that

Jabor posted:

it's safer for your career if noone knows what you work on, imagine what your performance eval would look like if they realised you worked on artifact
I think a good chunk of the Artifact team is on the 25-strong Underlords team by now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wtf? spectating is gone? drat this game has gone to poo poo.

I think you can still spectate, but only via community servers, where you can pick your team. In Casual, you get auto-assigned to a team.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the easiest way to confirm if somebody is hacking is with Spy, which is really inconvenient and also somewhat handicapping your team.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ugh. I tried reinstalling Poker Night at the Inventory to earn a couple of the TF2 items I was never able to earn (Iron Curtain, Spy watch reskin, police badge), but I have no grasp of poker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The first game is pretty easy, hardest part is getting the character putting up the item to bust out to you before someone else does.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Max Wilco posted:

Ugh. I tried reinstalling Poker Night at the Inventory to earn a couple of the TF2 items I was never able to earn (Iron Curtain, Spy watch reskin, police badge), but I have no grasp of poker.
Doesn't steam achievement unlocker still work for that?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first game is pretty easy, hardest part is getting the character putting up the item to bust out to you before someone else does.

I just can't wrap my head around the rules. I spend most of my time folding, or inevitably busting out because my hand sucks.

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't steam achievement unlocker still work for that?

Dunno. I'm not familiar with Steam Achievement Unlocker, but it does look like the items have their own achievements.

Even if it does work, I don't think I want to mess around with it.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Max Wilco posted:

I just can't wrap my head around the rules. I spend most of my time folding, or inevitably busting out because my hand sucks.

Dunno. I'm not familiar with Steam Achievement Unlocker, but it does look like the items have their own achievements.

Even if it does work, I don't think I want to mess around with it.
Don't feel bad, buddy. I'm terrible at poker, too. I managed to get all the goodies from the first Night at the Inventory game, but the second has stymied me every time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

XkyRauh posted:

Don't feel bad, buddy. I'm terrible at poker, too. I managed to get all the goodies from the first Night at the Inventory game, but the second has stymied me every time.

Funny, I always found two to be easier than one, partly because it gives you more money to start

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

The funny thing is that after I made that post, I reinstalled the game again and after a couple of games, I was able to get the Iron Curtain. :woop: (It was an extra cool victory in that I won the hand against both Heavy and Max, who went all-in.)

I didn't actually try executing it, but one 'cheat' I came up with was to quit out of a game mid-way, then go into the save game folder [Documents\Telltale Games\Poker Night at the Inventory] and then copy-&-paste the save-game files into another directory. That way, if you lose, you can (possibly) overwrite the new file with the backup to try again. Again, I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know if it'll work, but in theory, you can instantly resume a game where there's an item in play.

I never picked up PNATI 2, as the cast for that one didn't interest me as much as the first. Sadly, you can't buy either of them anymore, since they've been de-listed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I think the only one I'm missing from Poker Night 1 is the iron curtain so I'm pretty angry at you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
well whaddaya know

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

well whaddaya know

WE BOTH HAVE NEW WEAPON!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Any face cards are basically key to a good hand. You can find a guide to the scoring pretty easily, just don't expect it to be like the movies where exactly the card you want to win will come out of nowhere. (though it is hilarious when it does and there's unique lines for it) Your money is just as if not more important than your cards, and is primarily used to bully the other players. Get the hang of the AI's quirks and behaviour, each character acts differently, with deliberate strengths and weaknesses. (In general, Strong Bad is a little unpredictable, Max is very unpredictable, Heavy is stubborn and can be baited into raising repeatedly, and Tycho usually folds unless he has an advantage, then he gets aggressive)

I still remember I got the probably incredibly rare situation where I had the same numbered (terrible) hand as Max and we ended up tying in a face-off as a result. "You had those cards too? You're as crazy as I am!"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah hold 'em involves pairs and two-pair hands winning a lot more often than a newbie might think, but also you should fold without even seeing the 'flop' (first three center cards) more often than a newbie might think.

Basically the tycho AI has the right idea, fold unless you have something likelier-than-average to win. But they might have made him exaggerate it as a weakness.

Man this is making me want to play Poker Night 1 and 2 again. RIP telltale btw.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 5, 2019

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
When did the Gunslinger guaranteed crit become an official thing? I thought it got taken out

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

8 Ball posted:

When did the Gunslinger guaranteed crit become an official thing? I thought it got taken out

It was always there but they got rid of a thing where you could bank the crit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Does anyone here think the Dragon's Fury is a really bad weapon? I'm not bothered by the fact that you can't just W+M1 and actually have to aim, but the perspective makes it hard to tell how far your shots go, and the rate of fire changing on successive hits throws me off.

I want to get the '5 kills on one life' with it for the contract, but I can barely get one per life before dying. Are achievement servers still a thing, or are contracts only possible in casual matches?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Does anyone here think the Dragon's Fury is a really bad weapon? I'm not bothered by the fact that you can't just W+M1 and actually have to aim, but the perspective makes it hard to tell how far your shots go, and the rate of fire changing on successive hits throws me off.

I want to get the '5 kills on one life' with it for the contract, but I can barely get one per life before dying. Are achievement servers still a thing, or are contracts only possible in casual matches?

I think it's really fun, but it is for sure awkward as frick.

As for the contract, I'd say just play as normal and switch to it if you notice you're up against a hopelessly bad team. You can also usually pick up an easy kill or two during humiliation, so take advantage of that if you have the chance.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Galaxander posted:

I think it's really fun, but it is for sure awkward as frick.

As for the contract, I'd say just play as normal and switch to it if you notice you're up against a hopelessly bad team. You can also usually pick up an easy kill or two during humiliation, so take advantage of that if you have the chance.

Awkward is probably a better descriptor. It seems like you have to lead your shots with it or something.

I rarely get any kills during match-end humiliations, mostly because there's already a few other people who are right by the spawn. Still, that's helpful advice.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

You definitely have to lead your shots. It's a fast projectile, but it's still a projectile, so it isn't lag compensated.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also if you end up on a server that has everyone in friendly mode you could probably get some of them to help you farm the needed kills if you ask nicely enough

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had some better success with it by also getting way the gently caress up in people's faces with it and just smashing the fire button. I think it was easier when that update first dropped because everyone was running it and thus constantly on fire.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

When it first dropped it had a larger hitbox and the bonus damage was granted on every hit vs. a burning target. Now you only get the bonus if the center of the fireball connects, and the fireball is smaller.

It was extremely easy to melt medics hiding behind their pockets. It was pretty unfair, but I do kinda wish they could split the difference somehow.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
The Dragon’s Fury pairs VERY well with the scorch shot, especially when you’re able to hit them dead-on with the flare and immobilise them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah hold 'em involves pairs and two-pair hands winning a lot more often than a newbie might think, but also you should fold without even seeing the 'flop' (first three center cards) more often than a newbie might think.

Basically the tycho AI has the right idea, fold unless you have something likelier-than-average to win. But they might have made him exaggerate it as a weakness.

Man this is making me want to play Poker Night 1 and 2 again. RIP telltale btw.

I remember reading that the characters are built around various poker player archetypes/stereotypes; Max is a Psycho who doesn't care too much whether he does well, Strong Bad is a Novice who's easily baited and gets overconfident and skittish alternately, Heavy is a Rock who is stubborn and hard to sway but overcommits, and Tycho is a Shark who plays the most pragmatically.

2 mixes things up a bit, with Ash living to bluff so much he can surprise you when he actually has decent cards, Brock likes dramatic plays more than sensible ones, and Sam is fairly rounded.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember reading that the characters are built around various poker player archetypes/stereotypes; Max is a Psycho who doesn't care too much whether he does well, Strong Bad is a Novice who's easily baited and gets overconfident and skittish alternately, Heavy is a Rock who is stubborn and hard to sway but overcommits, and Tycho is a Shark who plays the most pragmatically.

2 mixes things up a bit, with Ash living to bluff so much he can surprise you when he actually has decent cards, Brock likes dramatic plays more than sensible ones, and Sam is fairly rounded.

You forgot about Claptrap

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sounds like the Halloween Event is starting early this year, and they're giving out real medals!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I want one of those medals

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Top 10 teams. That's gonna be rough if their goal is casually having fun.

And apparently it's because tf2 is so dead, valve isn't even putting community medals in the game any more.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EVERY ONE OF YOU DESERVES A MEDAL!

In other news, I managed to get the Dragon's Fury '5 kills in 1 life x3' legitimately. The advice to use it along with the Scorch Shot helped. (Thanks Butt Detective) It still took a long time and quite a few matches before I managed, but I did find that I started to like the weapon a bit more.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Valve is shipping me a medal? I will wear it with pride

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

:spooky: Rip the dream :witch:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They're starting Scream Fortress early, and never ending it again. All your Eternaween canteens will be worthless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

You forgot about Claptrap

Can you blame me?

Think he's basically Strong Bad again but a bit more unpredictable like Max.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

They're starting Scream Fortress early, and never ending it again. All your Eternaween canteens will be worthless.

Honestly would love it if they got rid of the Halloween/Full Moon restriction on cosmetics, it's always been the single stupidest thing Valve has done regarding TF2

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
way too silly and must only happen on halloween: pyro gets to wear a pair of monster claw fuzzy slippers

sensible and gets to happen all the time: pyro's head is replaced by an incandescent lightbulb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It is a full moon. I have turned into a robot again. Awwwooooo