Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Is there any way of getting DSR to work with Oblivion? The game crashes if I try to set the resolution above 1080p, doesn't matter if it's modded or not. Using the Steam version if that matters.

EDIT: Already tried running the game as admin + compability mode, no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I was just faffing around in daggerfall the other day, I made it two whole hours before I got frustrated walking my rear end across yet another giant city and went to go find the gofast cheat code I remember from my youth.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
DFU even better has support for making Daggerfall's infamously stupid loving huge dungeons less stupid loving huge, so that's wonderful.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

DFU even better has support for making Daggerfall's infamously stupid loving huge dungeons less stupid loving huge, so that's wonderful.

It also has support for making them bigger >:)

I'd like to see all quest dungeons get unique handcrafted variants, handcrafted in the modern sense not the 1997 'digitized napkin scribble'

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's also OUT (in alpha form)

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It also has support for making them bigger >:)

I'd like to see all quest dungeons get unique handcrafted variants, handcrafted in the modern sense not the 1997 'digitized napkin scribble'

How many dungeons did Daggerfall have? Hundreds? Thousands?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im not sure if anyone knows

there's like ten main quest dungeons i think though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
4232 dungeons

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

It's also OUT (in alpha form)

Wait what? I thought it was 0.9

Edit: disregard that I'm really high and way too excited for dfu

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Heads up for anyone who's gonna be trying out DFU that it fixes the age old exploit of picking high-elf + plus weakness to paralysis for a ton of class points while still being immune to paralysis. From what I read, you're still more resistant to paralysis with that combo than other races with no weakness but it's not just free op character now.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It also fixed the exploit where the most scrub tier custom open spell would open any shop lock, and I'm pretty sure it made the enemies tougher somehow. I got wrecked in privateers hold for the first time since the original release, I think I died at least 5-6 times. At least it added a quicksave button (f9) and an actually usable and intuitive dungeon map. I sadly can't seem to get the background question that lets me pick ebony dagger, I've tried a few characters and it never comes up, does anyone know what triggers the different custom background choices? Is it race? Skill choices?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guildenstern Mother posted:

It also fixed the exploit where the most scrub tier custom open spell would open any shop lock, and I'm pretty sure it made the enemies tougher somehow. I got wrecked in privateers hold for the first time since the original release, I think I died at least 5-6 times. At least it added a quicksave button (f9) and an actually usable and intuitive dungeon map. I sadly can't seem to get the background question that lets me pick ebony dagger, I've tried a few characters and it never comes up, does anyone know what triggers the different custom background choices? Is it race? Skill choices?

It's class-based actually.

I remember the questions are actually in plain text files somewhere in the ARENA2 folder. I think the files have BIO in their name but it's been about two decades so my memory is very fuzzy. I just remember editing them to have one of the answer give you multiple full suits of daedric plate armor, heh. (I needed multiple because there are several styles of plate armor and I wanted the ornate one with gold trims :v:, since each piece you were given had a random style the safeish bet was giving several.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
According to the UESP page on it, it's basically just answering yes to "Do you want an ebony dagger y/n?" There are a few variations of the question.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The question just hasn't come up, believe me, I'd have said yes. I made a custom class that had steel as a forbidden material and spent rather a lot of time running from imps. Hell I'd have settled for the silver staff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Custom classes get assigned to an existing class for purposes of the biography. I think it looks for closest matching skill sets, but that's just a guess.

The classes that get an ebony dagger question are Acrobat, Archer, Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Burglar, Healer, Knight, Mage, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Spellsword, Thief.

This leaves out Battlemage, Nightblade, and Warrior. Warriors can still get a silver flail, though. Battlemage and Nightblade only have their spells against the Privateer's Hold imps.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 4, 2019

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You know I bet I'm popping as a battlemage because of the long sword primary skill and magic. Maybe I should switch to blunt for another character, flails are cooler than daikatana anyway.

Other side bitch about unity, it doesn't fix the paper doll issue, I'm stuck wearing ugly baggy pants and all the cloaks are weird looking as hell

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Custom classes get assigned to an existing class for purposes of the biography. I think it looks for closest matching skill sets, but that's just a guess.

The classes that get an ebony dagger question are Acrobat, Archer, Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Burglar, Healer, Knight, Mage, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Spellsword, Thief.

This leaves out Battlemage, Nightblade, and Warrior. Warriors can still get a silver flail, though. Battlemage and Nightblade only have their spells against the Privateer's Hold imps.

:wrong: Introduce those Imps and Ghosts to the ultimate weapon. FIST. (and boots, Daggerfall includes kicks)

FIST never runs out of ammo.
FIST requires no magicka.
FIST never needs to be repaired.

YOUR FIST IS AN EXTENSION OF YOUR WILL AND CAN DAMAGE ANY ENEMY!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

You know I bet I'm popping as a battlemage because of the long sword primary skill and magic. Maybe I should switch to blunt for another character, flails are cooler than daikatana anyway.

Other side bitch about unity, it doesn't fix the paper doll issue, I'm stuck wearing ugly baggy pants and all the cloaks are weird looking as hell

Hmm, my set up is longsword primary and otherwise all magic in the primary and major skills and I got the dagger. I didn't even know it was possible to not have the dagger come up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
True Daggerfall players take as many languages as possible.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Help me thread: I have always wanted to explain Morrowind to my wife, but she wouldn't have the patience to sit down and play the game for herself. I'm looking for a Let's Play of Morrowind that would ideally be:
1) Video, not screenshot, ideally HD if possible
2) Complete--at least the main quest plus some of the faction questlines
3) Ideally would include some discussion of the weird lore

Does anyone have suggestions on an LP that covers this?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

But why?

You can't force Morrowind on people. Morrowind chooses you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I recommend sitting down and taking her to dinner instead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Start with pillow talk and make subtle comparisons to Vivec’s spear.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Average Bear posted:

I recommend sitting down and taking her to dinner instead.

Look the socialization wheel is an absolute beast to master in real life, pretty much nobody ever laughs when I insult them!

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Wonder if they'll get Inon Zur to do the soundtrack for VI since he kind of had a test run in Blades? That is if they end up wanting to distance themselves from him after this news (which, why wouldn't they after all the bad press they've gotten recently).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-27-skyrim-guild-wars-composer-jeremy-soule-accused-of-rape

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

TES VI is so far away he'll have ample time to disappear for six months to a year and come back a "changed man"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

'guy who equated having his music pirated to being in the holocaust' sucks? wow if only there were signs

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

'guy who equated having his music pirated to being in the holocaust' sucks? wow if only there were signs

Wow, I actually didn't know he did this. Went and looked it up, yep, he's a piece of crap. Before these women came out, though, the only negative thing I'd ever heard was that Kickstarter album thing where he didn't deliver the product.

I actually read another account by one of the women and, uh, yeah, it's real bad. Dude sounds like a real piece of work.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Sucks, but the most talented among us usually wind up having severe issues.

We should all be fully capable of separating the art and the artist, but that cuts both ways. His soundtracks aren't ruined forever for me, I'll still enjoy them, but if this poo poo is true, throw him in jail and let him never make another one again. Inon Zur did a good job in Blades and they still have Brad Derrick, who has stepped it up in ESO.

That said, there are people stating that his shitbaggery was becoming more widely known in the industry (Reddit posts, mainly, so take them for what you will), which would explain why he didn't do ESO in the first place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I remember seeing something about him whining about how Bethesda didn't contact him for TES6. Looks like they got fed up with him in time to dodge that bullet.

Anyway, they should just hire back Eric Heberling; and whoever the uncredited other musician was.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Todd Knew.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The one good thing Bethesda's ever done

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Because he was also a victim :ohdear:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just tried the free trial of TES Online. It was really great seeing Seyda Neen again but now in nice graphics! I was almost ready to plop down some money for the game until I saw all those players and dozens of pets and mounts frantically running around, all breathing loudly into their mics and spamming magic all around, sheesh.

If this was possible to play offline it would be a sure buy for me, it was very jarring to see MY ELDER SCROLLS this way. I think it would be amazing to walk around the entirety of Tamriel like this, even if they messed up the lore and history a bit here and there.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

teso fundamentally fails at being a tes game

you cant break the game or find loot above your level. you will never find goldbrand or a cool artifact or anything in a random chest.

if you wanted to play mmo #131320 with a thin veneer of elder scrolls then teso is for you

https://streamable.com/u11ub
pictured: not teso

mbt fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 2, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

John F Bennett posted:

I just tried the free trial of TES Online. It was really great seeing Seyda Neen again but now in nice graphics! I was almost ready to plop down some money for the game until I saw all those players and dozens of pets and mounts frantically running around, all breathing loudly into their mics and spamming magic all around, sheesh.

If this was possible to play offline it would be a sure buy for me, it was very jarring to see MY ELDER SCROLLS this way. I think it would be amazing to walk around the entirety of Tamriel like this, even if they messed up the lore and history a bit here and there.

This is exactly what keeps me from playing it. And I’ve tried with a few different characters. I don’t like sprinting or constantly running in ES games. I like to stroll casually from place to place solving quests and exploring the world. And while I can technically do that in this game, seeing folks constantly hyper-bounce around the world with dumbass names and the global chat scrolling through a wide range of inane topics, I end up logging out immediately. I feel both SWTOR and ESO would be much much better games if the online poo poo was either stripped out or stripped down to some form of single player game with optional co-op. As it is, I won’t touch either of them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean you can just turn off chat. I haven't played in like 2 years but the world itself was empty enough while questing, it was just in major cities that you have to deal with the usual MMO 'junk'. I felt like it was a great online-only singleplayer game. Some really fun quests.

The thing I disliked the most was that everyone playing already knew how to zerg rush every dungeon, so I never got to read / "take in" the quests when grouping.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

you cant break the game or find loot above your level.

I mean, that's also true of Oblivion.

It was terrible, of course.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

you cant break the game

That's because the devs break the game every update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

Help me thread: I have always wanted to explain Morrowind to my wife, but she wouldn't have the patience to sit down and play the game for herself. I'm looking for a Let's Play of Morrowind that would ideally be:
1) Video, not screenshot, ideally HD if possible
2) Complete--at least the main quest plus some of the faction questlines
3) Ideally would include some discussion of the weird lore

Does anyone have suggestions on an LP that covers this?

Just have her read the 36 Lessons of Vivec, and tell her "Like an entire huge game of that."