Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

isn't there a Fading Suns game?

e: yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Honky Dong Country posted:

Pdox dune game would rule

it would, but the rights are held by some other company. I guess they could do something "inspired" by Dune though. crossing my fingers and hoping that something like that is the secret project Wiz is working on.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm the dune fan thinking about playing the tleilax in the pdox game but sweating and tugging my collar when I think about axlotl tanks and random events

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

I'm the dune fan thinking about playing the tleilax in the pdox game but sweating and tugging my collar when I think about axlotl tanks and random events

"One of the masters has entered Khel without performing Ghufran. Spice production decreased by 50%"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Changes character focus on my Reverend Mother from the weirding way to pussy magic*

"I'll show those loving matres who's the real master"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reverend Mother stillsuit water

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

*Changes character focus on my Reverend Mother from the weirding way to pussy magic*

Just looked into the place men dare not look and found Bene Gesserit anime visual novels staring back at me :kullwahad:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pdox dune game would rule

Empire wide commandment "Witches leave!" is in effect, - 75 to relations with the Bene Gesserit.

Alternatively, the "you will regret this!" guy from sim city but it's Kynes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's just a pun, though - like, that's pretty much the only reason it's there.

Speaking of the color of spice, I went looking because I thought the spice when fresh from a blow was described as purple, but I couldn't find the passage. Instead, I found the passage that mentions the sandtrout part of the whole lifecycle, and it specifically mentions carbon dioxide being produced by them - so I guess sandtrout live off the hydrogen of the water rather than the oxygen, as I'd assumed.
This also might mean that it's probably both the sandworms and the sand plankton that is responsible for changing the carbon dioxide into oxygen as both the original novel and GEoD mentions the oxygen producing part of sandworms.
Does this mean sandworms are more plant-based until Leto II leaves his pearls of awareness in them and they suddenly become more animal-like?

this is machine thinking

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reverend Mother stillsuit water

:eyepoop:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The dream unfolds.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:piss:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Empire wide commandment "Witches leave!" is in effect, - 75 to relations with the Bene Gesserit.

"Inkvine Scar" character modifier that applied -15 attraction, except for late game Fish Speaker characters it's +15 for being a total badass.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are there any good audiobook versions that are just...plain?

Just one person, just reading the book(s)- one person, not multiple people like an audio-play, not putting on voices?

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 5, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

What's the over-under on there not being Dune 1: part 2 - movie of the book of the game?

They split the movie in two, they didn't film the two parts simultaneously, Dune is known box office poison...

*recites litany of fear*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Exactly what I was looking for :discourse:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

magic cactus posted:

Now I'm wondering if there's a sect of like, organic spice only Fremen who only take it unprocessed.

Maker's own.

(It's like newman's own but it's got maud'dib on the label)

The heroin dealer scene in Pulp Fiction only for spice and Eric Stoltz bragging about his spice.

LANCE
Am I a Harkonnen? Are you in
Giedi Prime? No. You're in my
sietch. Caladan people who know the
difference between good poo poo and
bad poo poo, this is the sietch they
come to. My poo poo, I'll take the
Pepsi Challenge with Fremen poo poo
any ol' day of the fuckin' week.

VINCENT
That's a bold statement.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Anne Frank Funk posted:

What's the over-under on there not being Dune 1: part 2 - movie of the book of the game?

They split the movie in two, they didn't film the two parts simultaneously, Dune is known box office poison...

*recites litany of fear*

Yeah I'm a little worried about this as well. From what I recall, didn't Blade Runner kind of just do ok at the box office despite being loved by most critics? :ohdear:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
BR2049 bombed. It was like 100m short of break-even

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd pay a good deal of money for Sim Sietch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

magic cactus posted:

Yeah I'm a little worried about this as well. From what I recall, didn't Blade Runner kind of just do ok at the box office despite being loved by most critics? :ohdear:

Depends on how they pitch it. Blade Runner comes off like Total Recall, another unasked for remake of a classic movie that can't be replicated, ie; dime a dozen at the modern box office. The Dune movie is mostly remembered for Sting and isn't exactly burning up Netflix. 'Game of Thrones in space' is probably as good a pitch as any to get audiences interested.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd pay a good deal of money for Sim Sietch

Sim Sietch: The Most Extensive Plumbing System You'll Ever Design Without Showers

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Depends on how they pitch it. Blade Runner comes off like Total Recall, another unasked for remake of a classic movie that can't be replicated, ie; dime a dozen at the modern box office. The Dune movie is mostly remembered for Sting and isn't exactly burning up Netflix. 'Game of Thrones in space' is probably as good a pitch as any to get audiences interested.

Honestly, Dune would be way better as a Game of Thrones style prestige TV series imo. Having it be a couple of seasons worth would allow you to really get a feel for the world and the political intrigue. I'm not sure a two hour movie is a good format for such a narratively dense work. But from what I remember, the dude doing cinematography is the same guy from Blade Runner, so if nothing else it'll be pretty to look at.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

magic cactus posted:

Honestly, Dune would be way better as a Game of Thrones style prestige TV series imo. Having it be a couple of seasons worth would allow you to really get a feel for the world and the political intrigue. I'm not sure a two hour movie is a good format for such a narratively dense work. But from what I remember, the dude doing cinematography is the same guy from Blade Runner, so if nothing else it'll be pretty to look at.

The only problem I have with this is they'd drag it out so loving bad they'd spend an entire season before Paul and Jessica even end up in the desert.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Dune movie is mostly remembered for Sting and isn't exactly burning up Netflix.

The Flix Brewhouse theater near me is showing Dune next Monday. I reserved seats two days ago and I was lucky I did because they were almost sold out. I know it's not exactly a ringing endorsement that a city of 500,000 people managed to nearly sell out a single showing of Dune, but plenty of people are fond of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

magic cactus posted:

Sadly it isn’t Roger Deakins, but the guy who did Zero Dark Thirty (also sandy?) and Lion and, uh, Rogue One.

He seems alright.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

immortalyawn posted:

Are there any good audiobook versions that are just...plain?

Just one person, just reading the book(s)- one person, not multiple people like an audio-play, not putting on voices?

Recorded Books made one narrated by George Guidall with a woman to read the Irulan chapter headers but nothing else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shageletic posted:

this is machine thinking
:roboluv:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Someone hasn't been paying attention to the thread

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

priznat posted:

Sadly it isn’t Roger Deakins, but the guy who did Zero Dark Thirty (also sandy?) and Lion and, uh, Rogue One.

He seems alright.

Darn, I recall Deakins being attached to the project for sure, but I might have been using my prescience to look down a path that did not occur.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

The only problem I have with this is they'd drag it out so loving bad they'd spend an entire season before Paul and Jessica even end up in the desert.

On the other hand, imagine the journey from the first book to God-emperor. Bran-style storyline but done right.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

magic cactus posted:

Darn, I recall Deakins being attached to the project for sure, but I might have been using my prescience to look down a path that did not occur.

Yeah it was assumed he was gonna be but then it was announced no.. I think it’ll still look great though, other guy (Greig Rogers?) has a decent record.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Someone hasn't been paying attention to the thread

Kull Wahad!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

D. Ebdrup posted:

Kull Wahad!

I made a crappy thing.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I made a crappy thing.

this is postsign the likes of which even GOD has never seen

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I shall be known as Postsul, which is the white of the noise of the post.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

skasion posted:

BR2049 bombed. It was like 100m short of break-even

whooooah i did not know its return was that bad

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I made a crappy thing.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm not very good at this: