Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

any advice for Petra and Bernie's paralogue? The poo poo gets crazy once I get past a certain line and Catherine comes in with a mountain of reinforcements

Handcuff Dorothea and your dancer together and drop a hot double Meteor on Catherine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My gambits all had like a 20% hit rate. I had like two people with the sword skill that prevents counterattacks but they both missed their 40% hits

What do your Authority levels look like? Because with boosts my Edelgard/Byleth had easy 100% hits there.

Have you played the next chapter yet?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Dimitri would one-shot any unit I had with a counterattack, so I absolutely had to kill him in a single shot, but no one I had could do it.

I don't know what say, really. Most of my characters could handle them without much trouble, so the only consideration I had when fighting them was "who needs XP?"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zore posted:

What do your Authority levels look like? Because with boosts my Edelgard/Byleth had easy 100% hits there.

Have you played the next chapter yet?

Thats exactly the chapter I posted about earlier where I looked at the map and said ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'll play this one later. I'm starting it up now

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this is the first Fire Emblem game i've played, and i started it for an hour and a half last night. is there anything i should really be doing?

i'm still very early on - i'm just heading out to fight bandits so very early days. basically i have done fishing, gardening, choir practice, etc on all my free days so far, but i don't really know what i should be doing for weapons, equipment, etc. should i be dropping coin on that yet?

i've just got that general feeling of uncertainty that you're introduced to a dozen new rpg systems. any hand-holding / stupid newbie advice would be appreciated!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

any advice for Petra and Bernie's paralogue? The poo poo gets crazy once I get past a certain line and Catherine comes in with a mountain of reinforcements

I thought Catherine only spawned if you killed all the enemies (that's what happened to me anyway). I assume if you just have Petra cross the finish line that wouldn't happen?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
First run I didn't pay much attention to gambits outside of breaking monsters. Second run I started levelling people's authority and using the C and above battalions and wow, some of them are ridiculous. I definitely recommend training authority on your main squad at the very least.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Thats exactly the chapter I posted about earlier where I looked at the map and said ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'll play this one later. I'm starting it up now

Yeah uh there are some people who are going to absolutely wreck you on that map if the last boss was a wall

Spoiler for final chapter of Edelgard's route

Like Cyril has a brave weapon, higher stats than Dimitri and will move when you get close to Rhea. I had to do some warp abuse because he could one round literally everyone on my team. And my Edelgard/Byleth/Caspar were all capable of taking Dimitri out easily.

Also there are some reinforcement Falcon Knights you will want to look out for that spawn a few turns in from behind you. They will murder basically everyone

quote:

I thought Catherine only spawned if you killed all the enemies (that's what happened to me anyway). I assume if you just have Petra cross the finish line that wouldn't happen?

Nah, its a bait and switch map. She spawns when you kill the first wave or get near the exit with Petra.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 5, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait I failed the dance competition, does that mean I don't get a dancer?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

this is the first Fire Emblem game i've played, and i started it for an hour and a half last night. is there anything i should really be doing?

i'm still very early on - i'm just heading out to fight bandits so very early days. basically i have done fishing, gardening, choir practice, etc on all my free days so far, but i don't really know what i should be doing for weapons, equipment, etc. should i be dropping coin on that yet?

i've just got that general feeling of uncertainty that you're introduced to a dozen new rpg systems. any hand-holding / stupid newbie advice would be appreciated!
You can repair weapons later on so don't worry too much about buying 70 iron swords or whatever. That said I'd recommend buying some javelins and hand axes just because having 1-2 range options is nice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Wait I failed the dance competition, does that mean I don't get a dancer?

Yeah, you're out of luck. The person needs at least 13 charm to win though there might be some variance.

Did you do the special training with them for +5 charm?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Endorph posted:

You can repair weapons later on so don't worry too much about buying 70 iron swords or whatever. That said I'd recommend buying some javelins and hand axes just because having 1-2 range options is nice.

cool, thanks. i had actually bought some bows for folks to replace stupid training swords. the 'convoy' is basically 'unassigned storage', right?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You also unlock merchants that sell the basic blacksmith items so you can always forge and repair silver weapons and what not.

Though this my time to wonder about something stupid. Namely while I get the tradeoff between axes and the other melee weapons, I'm not entirely sure on the difference between swords and lances is without the triangle. Lances have more hit swords more crit or something? (Not that this matters as all the sword classes gets insane dex growth) Ferdinand as a paladin pulls his weight, but Ingrid as a falcoknight doesn't. I'm not sure if this is just because pegasus knight and falcoknight stat growths are garbage, or that I'm just exceptionally cautious with her as any archer that actually hits her will guarantee a kill with a silver bow. Perhaps I should just stick her as a paladin too, since I wouldn't be as afraid to advance with her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

You also unlock merchants that sell the basic blacksmith items so you can always forge and repair silver weapons and what not.

Though this my time to wonder about something stupid. Namely while I get the tradeoff between axes and the other melee weapons, I'm not entirely sure on the difference between swords and lances is without the triangle. Lances have more hit swords more crit or something? (Not that this matters as all the sword classes gets insane dex growth) Ferdinand as a paladin pulls his weight, but Ingrid as a falcoknight doesn't. I'm not sure if this is just because pegasus knight and falcoknight stat growths are garbage, or that I'm just exceptionally cautious with her as any archer that actually hits her will guarantee a kill with a silver bow. Perhaps I should just stick her as a paladin too, since I wouldn't be as afraid to advance with her.

Lances also have physical 1-2 range options while swords only have the Levin Sword which runs off magic. And then there are some unique lances that are real good.

Lances also tend to have slightly higher might/weight but lower hit than swords.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zore posted:

Yeah, you're out of luck. The person needs at least 13 charm to win though there might be some variance.

Did you do the special training with them for +5 charm?

No? What special training! I'm in month 12 and nothing I have done has matched what you guys are saying lol. I feel like I missed out on half the game, and am low key wanting to start over to do the one true edelgard run where I poach the entire school with my new found knowledge.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Eimi posted:

It's primarily the Weapon Arts. Each Weapon type has its own set of weapon arts. For instance Sword users can learn Grounder which does Effective damage to flyers while Lance users get Knightkneeler which is effective against Calvary.

Also eventually you learn the Breaker skills which bring back the Weapon triangle as long as you have then equipped on that unit.

Anyways I'd say you're not being aggressive enough with Ingrid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

No? What special training! I'm in month 12 and nothing I have done has matched what you guys are saying lol. I feel like I missed out on half the game, and am low key wanting to start over to do the one true edelgard run where I poach the entire school with my new found knowledge.

They tell you when you pick a student to compete you can talk to them again and do a one time special training to give them +5 charm. Also Manuela tells you outright 'historically winning students have had 13 charm'.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Turtlicious posted:

If you talk to the person you've selected for the dance competition again, they'll ask you to give them some dance training.

I have also messed up a ton of stuff, but my team seems super powerful so far regardless. Even Ingrid, who's stuck on Pegasus Knight and refuses to get more than 17 strength, is awesome. You might as well keep on going -- the feeling I eventually got was that there are just too many variables and weird stats for me to keep everything straight without keeping a spreadsheet, so you might as well roll with it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

I'm not sure if this is just because pegasus knight and falcoknight stat growths are garbage, or that I'm just exceptionally cautious with her as any archer that actually hits her will guarantee a kill with a silver bow. Perhaps I should just stick her as a paladin too, since I wouldn't be as afraid to advance with her.

If you're scared of archers you can just fly straight in and dismount. Then remount when all the archers are dead. Rinse and repeat.

Dismount is frankly broken since it removes all the penalties of being a mounted class.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Clarste posted:

If you're scared of archers you can just fly straight in and dismount. Then remount when all the archers are dead. Rinse and repeat.

this is basically what i had to do to survive chapter 13 with claude, especially since byleth at the time was getting doubled by most of the enemies so claude had to do most of the heavy lifting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i dont think there's any actual stat penalty to dismounting unlike in fe5

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Clarste posted:

Dismount is frankly broken since it removes all the penalties of being a mounted class.

wait you can remount

thats absurd lol

hold on lemme shove my warhorse in my pocket, ah ok good made it to the top of these stairs, now onward Rocinante!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah i dont think there's any actual stat penalty to dismounting unlike in fe5

There are minor stat changes. Pegasus Knights and Wyverns lose 2 speed but Paladins actually gain 2 speed when dismounted which is pretty lol.

Basically every land mounted unit gains some speed when dismounting because I guess they wanted to really hammer in stat penalties for movement. Then they went gently caress it and gave all the fliers speed bonuses when flying they lose when dismounted because ...?

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 5, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wyvern lords might have the best base stats in the game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was thinking about recommendations for what routes to pick or what order to play the routes for people who haven't started yet. Here are my gut feelings. What does everyone else think:

I'm only going to play one route: Golden Deer. You get a nice balance between "big picture" plot and war plot. No route gives you everything story-wise, but Golden Deer strikes a balance.
I'll probably only play two routes: Black Eagles (Edelgard) > Golden Deer. This is a tough one, but I think it expands on some things you'd miss playing only Golden Deer in a way that Blue Lions > Golden Deer wouldn't.
I want to play them all but can't decide on an order: Blue Lions > Black Eagles (Edelgard) > Golden Deer > Black Eagles (Church). Playing in this order has the story gradually open up to you, with each playthrough revealing things that the previous didn't.

I could have a category for "I'll play three routes" but I'm not sure I could make a solid recommendation there. Weirdly that seems like the hardest to cut one from.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Golden Deer also starts you with the walking nuclear bomb Lysithea, Destroyer of Mid-Bosses.

Endorph posted:

wyvern lords might have the best base stats in the game

*Haar intensifies*

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

counterpoint: you should play blue lions because Blue Lions rule

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i ended up poaching four of six available blue lions students on this golden deer run. it started with ashe because he's cute, and then felix came along because i thought he was an easy get with byleth's natural proficiency for swords, and then i got ingrid because i wanted another flier, and then annette because i could

and so after dimitri's grisly end and dedue's disappearance after chapter 17 none of them are taking it well, even (and especially) felix :smith:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The difficulty on Hard really ramps up towards the endgame chapters. Like the normal auxiliary battles feature gimmick all-Swordmaster or all-Assassin maps, and the main missions have endless reinforcements or surprise ambushes by Falcon Knights and monsters. Almost none of my cast can really sustain 2 direct attacks by any unit, I rely a lot on dodges or ranged kills. Also if any Fist-wielder gets the jump on anyone except Byleth it's an automatic Pulse. loving 4x attack is insane.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Mmmh. From the comments here it seems like Golden Deers are the 'traditional heroes' party. Almost no trauma, begin with specific character trivialising the fights, and the one route that looks 'nice' on the other routes.

Well, I'll see how it goes on the Edgelgard true route. I suspect that a lot of the "no background" is actually "people didn't bother looking for it".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

the golden deer have trauma, they just turn it into steely resolve instead of letting it hold them back.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I mean Claude does struggle from being the target of racism his whole life due to being half Almyran and half Leicester, which he only opens up to you with after the timeskip. He channels those scars into a feel good vision for the world and he’s certainly less broken of a human being than Edelgard or Dimitri, but that isn’t saying much and he is dealing with those scars

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

TurnipFritter posted:

the golden deer have trauma, they just turn it into steely resolve instead of letting it hold them back.

Raphael's parents were killed by monsters, so he became as swole as a monster with the heart of a saint.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

They have some difficult background, but they weren't traumatised by it. Also, their background tend to be much more mellow than the other classes, with the exception maybe of Raphael.

"Trauma into steely resolve" is Edelgard, really. Golden Deer is "Optimist outlook".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Arkeus posted:

They have some difficult background, but they weren't traumatised by it. Also, their background tend to be much more mellow than the other classes, with the exception maybe of Raphael.

"Trauma into steely resolve" is Edelgard, really. Golden Deer is "Optimist outlook".

and Blue Lions is "dead family members".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Lysithea went through the exact same poo poo Edelgard did but resolves to work as hard as she can and be her best so she make the most of her shortened lifespan, and heck in the Golden Deer route when the time comes to invade the empire she’s raring to get back at the people who destroyed her family

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hosed up dinner time my four hours of begging students to drop everything and join me is ruined

Seriously though I do like the academy stuff but christ I just want to murder more dudes

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Arrrthritis posted:

Raphael's parents were killed by monsters, so he became as swole as a monster with the heart of a saint.

people process trauma differently, some, like raphael, turn it into Strength and HP gains, while others, like lysithea, channel it into Magic and Dex gains.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

people process trauma differently, some, like raphael, turn it into Strength and HP gains, while others, like lysithea, channel it into Magic and Dex gains.

And Bernie turns it into +5 damage when she's even slightly hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
And Marianne turns it into healing someone from the otherside of the map