Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So, it's well known that Japan developed rapidly after WWII, but I just wonder how far they've come. Like at what level of development was Japan prior the war? I know they were more developed than China, however they weren't as wealthy as say Western Europe.

japan was trying to gain a seat among the big boy nations during the age of imperialist expansion and largely succeeded. during the boxer rebellion japan was one of the eight nations that intervened to protect colonial exploitation of china. in 1905 japan defeated russia in what was then a global stunning upset, an industrial asian power defeating an industrial european power in a modern no-poo poo war. japan also straight up colonized korea. pre-ww2 my guess is that japan weighed in somewhere lower than italy but higher than spain in terms of economic power and industrial development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That feel when gawking foreign scare-reporting cites "alarming facts" about Japanese society that are literally exactly the same as the United States

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/world/asia/japan-single-women-marriage.html?emc=rss&partner=rss

quote:

Craving Freedom, Japan’s Women Opt Out of Marriage

The percentage of women who work in Japan is higher than ever, yet cultural norms have not caught up. More and more, women are rejecting the double standard.

By Motoko Rich

And for women ages 35 to 39, the percentage was even higher: Nearly a quarter had never been married, compared with only about 10 percent two decades earlier.

With the social expectation that men should be the primary breadwinners, many men worry they will struggle to support a household financially. Just over a third of men ages 35 to 39 have never been married, up from less than a quarter 20 years ago.

https://flowingdata.com/2017/11/01/who-is-married-by-now/

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wow such a wacky country where nobody has sex ever!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

That feel when gawking foreign scare-reporting cites "alarming facts" about Japanese society that are literally exactly the same as the United States

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/world/asia/japan-single-women-marriage.html?emc=rss&partner=rss

That article was written by a Japanese woman though.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

icantfindaname posted:

I don't know how to say this without sounding weird, but you seem like you have a real persecution complex with this sort of stuff. Not every piece of reporting about Japanese society is meant as "look at these wacky orientals and their bizzare ways".

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I don't know how to say this without sounding weird, but you seem like you have a real persecution complex with this sort of stuff. Not every piece of reporting about Japanese society is meant as "look at these wacky orientals and their bizzare ways".

A considerable amount of it is though. Outlandish, otherizing, polarizing poo poo gets clicks and money. Beyond good old fashioned orientalism modern media monetization absolutely incentivized such behavior.

Bloodnose posted:

That article was written by a Japanese woman though.

A half Japanese woman who was born and raised overseas except for a few years when she was younger. So yes, but also no in some ways. She absolutely comes at things from a Western perspective; you can even see on her Facebook page public posts discussing cultural shock about some things since she moves to Japan 3 years ago. So her being part Japanese by birth is hardly a slam dunk against the idea of Western media sometimes misreporting or poorly contextualizing stories about Japan. Moreover even if someone is Japanese and comes at things from a truly Japanese eye it’s not like people don’t constantly repackage or commercialize their own culture for non-native consumption.

I’m not saying it’s always bad, or it’s all intentional or some conspiracy or whatnot but you should, as with literally any media you consume about anything, come at it with a healthily critical eye.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I’m having a really hard time understanding how you reached that conclusion.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

I've been to Hong Kong twice in the past two years. Hope the HK thread is ready for my hot takes on exactly what's causing the problems their country is facing. Bonus "speaking from
authority" points if I claim some tenuous family tie.

poo poo like these posts is why I detest talking to anyone who's been here for less than five years or so, or is here on holiday. Everyone suddenly is a chin-stroking expert on :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren: and are rivalled only by vegans and crossfitters on how much they want to talk about it.

I think I’m one of the more frequent goon tourists visiting japan.

Last night we went to a hunan restaurant owned by Li komaki , 李小牧 (li xiao mu)

He’s ethnic Chinese but turned Japanese, made a living from working in Kabukicho and tried to get into politics. He refuses to hire helpers or have volunteers and burned god knows how much money on random ad buys.

Anyways I rather listen to Japanese goons in person than actually give HOT TAKES

Unless it’s making fun of bureaucratic OCD Japan

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m really sad and angry that some crazy fucker started a fire and killed all these innocent people.

If you want HOT TAKES then maybe people are just copying American mass shootings since it’s so frequent :downsrim:

Oh the brighter side. Lots of Chinese tourists and other fans raised money for the studio.

Rest In Peace :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m having a really hard time understanding how you reached that conclusion.

No hate on him because I usually do agree with what he's saying and everyone has a hobby, but icantfindaname has been doing this extremely consistently for years now, the dude didn't pull that out of the air.

Anyway leaving aside that whole part of it, I think it is an interesting article and the point that how patriarchal things are in those countries is a significant cause for young women not wanting to marry is something I've heard from (feminist, to be fair, so maybe not representative of everyone) female Korean friends a few times too and not something I see brought up very much whenever people are going off about birth rates there

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

A half Japanese woman

don't do this

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

don't do this

A Japanese-American woman who lived briefly in Japan as a child but is otherwise completely American-socialized

Not that that necessarily impacts the quality of her reporting, but it's fundamentally a bad article. If she had written about the extremely low rate of birth outside wedlock and the plight of single mothers, something that is genuinely unique to Japan vis-a-vis Europe and America, then it could have been a good article, but the core thesis is "Japan's marriage rates, which are exactly the same as the USA's, are Abnormal and Weird and Alarming". The best-case interpretation of this is that she's just regurgitating lovely, irrational moral panic stories from the Japanese media without any critical reflection or context like the fact that the Japanese version of this story takes "normal" to be "1970s-era Japanese gender and family relations" while her mostly white liberal readership will take "normal" to mean "nice white European countries" or else just a projected fantasy vision of their own ideal society

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 4, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

The best-case interpretation of this is that she's just regurgitating lovely, irrational moral panic stories from the Japanese media 
If that was the case it would either be an article about how the lovely economy is preventing people from getting married or it would be an article about "子供部屋おじさん" (for people who don't know: a recently trending term for middle age men who still live with their parents).

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 5, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

don't do this

She’s literally haafu

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Those numbers have a different context in a society that tries to rely solely on in country births to maintain it's population.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Those numbers have a different context in a society that tries to rely solely on in country births to maintain it's population.

Well, yeah. But this distinction doesn’t always get sufficient focus in these sorts of articles because “Japan needs more immigration” is less sensational than “Japan needs more sex.”

Edit: Actually, given current Anglosphere politics, the reverse might be true as to which is more sensational. But however you look at it, there's certainly a lot of reporting that omits important context.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 5, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

She’s literally haafu

I'm ハーフ as well, and I have now spent the majority of my time outside of Japan. Please do lecture me about what my cultural baggage is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When people say haafu unironically I tend to mentally replace it with hanbaagu and the sentence's intent often becomes clearer.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vagabundo posted:

I'm ハーフ as well, and I have now spent the majority of my time outside of Japan. Please do lecture me about what my cultural baggage is.

as an enlightened white liberal who grew up in usa and *understands things*, let me know if you want me to lecture you about your culture

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I’m not lecturing the person herself. I’m saying to someone, who wasn’t aware of the fact, that she clearly has a certain, and mostly likely primarily Western (though obviously “Western” is in itself a huge generalization), perspective on Japan considering she apparently spent about 2-3 years of elementary school living in Japan while going to an international school, and the rest in the US.

Do you truly feel that you have exactly the same experience and perspectives as someone who was born and raised in Japan, never spent significant time overseas, and spent their whole life as visually indistinguishable from most ethnic Japanese? I would presume not; and in most cases I’m more interested in the opinions of those who have deep experience in both Japan and elsewhere, but when we’re *specifically* discussing how Western media commercializes, contextualizes, and commodifies Japanese culture and society then, yes an authors cultural background is a very salient point.

Bloodnose’s point was “she’s Japanese [therefore inherently cannot have a Westernized perspective]” which is wrong at any rate, but in this case very demonstrably wrong given the cultural background of the specific person in question. I’m not discussing cultural baggage of minority groups in (and from) Japan in general as it’s very much a tangent.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 6, 2019

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Imagine caring about the cultural bias of a Japanese person that much.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I mean there’s writers and anthropologists etc. who make their lives discussing cultural background of various ethnic sub-groups of Japan, so I think my literal toilet posting isn’t such a stretch.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
noted cultural gatekeeper of “true” Japanese culture, *checks notes*...white guy from USA

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I know you’re just doing drivebys across your usual threads because you’re bored or something, but suffice to say that my primary objection is actually the opposite of what you’re saying; I think that someone who’s got a Japanese name can absolutely have a heavily Western influenced perspective, just as someone without a Japanese name at all can have an very heavily Japanese influenced perspective. We should, I would hope obviously, look beyond surface qualities like nationality and race (for all that race can correlate highly to ethnicity in many circumstances) if you’re going to make inferences about the relative perspective of people.

Edit: and there is no “true” Japanese culture

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 6, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know you’re just doing drivebys across your usual threads because you’re bored or something, but suffice to say that my primary objection is actually the opposite of what you’re saying

1) this is exactly what I was doing, lol, you know me p well
2) I know, I am just trolling and giving u poo poo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

1) this is exactly what I was doing, lol, you know me p well
2) I know, I am just trolling and giving u poo poo

Yeah but it was as good an opportunity as any to actually elaborate more on what I was saying for the clarity of anyone interested, which is admittedly probably nobody

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Edit: and there is no “true” Japanese culture

*wafts your face with a tank of Naruto*

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah but it was as good an opportunity as any to actually elaborate more on what I was saying for the clarity of anyone interested, which is admittedly probably nobody

In all seriousness, this is something I asked about in the thread a few years back, about books on the sociology of Japan, and I’d love to drink beers with you and actually hear you talk about it, as you have an absolute mammoth amount of experience in Japan. I just don’t think conversations like this translate well over the internet so I just drive by troll when I’m bored lol

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Assuming that some percentage of Japanese DNA makes you magically in touch with the culture of Japan is a mistake that the Japanese government has made several times w/r/t immigration particularly of blue collar workers from Brazil (I'm mixed race as well and there absolutely are a bunch of white men who know far more about my mother's culture & language than I do, and that's true of every mixed race person I know)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Y'all keep arguing when we should be celebrating Hiroshima Day. https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1158762707501441024?s=20

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

Y'all keep arguing when we should be celebrating Hiroshima Day. https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1158762707501441024?s=20

"Celebrating"?

I hope that's satire.

mystes
May 31, 2006

On the plus side, if American war crimes are holidays now, that could mean a lot more vacation time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

harperdc posted:

"Celebrating"?

I hope that's satire.

the free beacon is a right wing rag, they 100% mean that article as a good 'LOOK HOW BRAVE WE WERE TO NUKE TWO CITIES, PRAISE US!'

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

harperdc posted:

"Celebrating"?

I hope that's satire.

Yes, my words are satire. The Free Beacon absolutely is not satire.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
It's a phenomenon noted by Japanese commentators that major outlets in U.S. media do like to run with articles and narratives that exoticize Japan.

The book I recall was named 笑われる日本人

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

paperwind posted:

The responses are at least heartening.There are far more people criticizing this than supporting it.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

The responses are at least heartening.There are far more people criticizing this than supporting it.

I visited Japan last month and drove to Hiroshima to do the pay my respects thing.

The way the peace museum approaches the horror of it all is humbling. No denial of Japan's actions and a complete want to never let nuclear weapons be used again.

When you see how integrated the history of the bomb is in education, from primary school level up and you listen to the multiple stories of children with their skin melting off them, at no point does the experience attempt blame on the US.

It is all about it never loving happening again.

One of the many things I love and respect about Japan.

Also, battery vending machines.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I keep seeing in Japanese media about how the "bubble" period of the 1980s had the average Japanese person live substantially better than they do today. Is that true, or has Japan mostly just stagnated since the '90s rather than decline?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BobbyThompson posted:

I visited Japan last month and drove to Hiroshima to do the pay my respects thing.

The way the peace museum approaches the horror of it all is humbling. No denial of Japan's actions and a complete want to never let nuclear weapons be used again.

When you see how integrated the history of the bomb is in education, from primary school level up and you listen to the multiple stories of children with their skin melting off them, at no point does the experience attempt blame on the US.

I've never been lucky or rich enough to travel to Japan but I distinctly remember reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes when I was little. Obviously my arguments against nuclear weapons are vaguely more sophisticated now but that book was where it all began and I'll never forget it or her.

And one thing I've always found interesting about Japan is the varieties of tea they have. To me, tea i an old person drink and playing Japanese games where the teen kids talk about what tea they want to drink is so strange. But in Japan tea is more like soda and you can get it from vending machines like soda.That's really neat and I'd like to try some someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BobbyThompson posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh