Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've spent the last couple months shooting nothing but macro shots with the Olympus 60mm. Hard to go back to shooting anything else now!

:shobon:

:yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hover Fly Profile by Aves Lux, on Flickr

New flash setup

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
How the heck did you pull that off?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

burst shooting... I got lucky since this one was hovering in the one spot for a bit. But still! :)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

toggle posted:

burst shooting... I got lucky since this one was hovering in the one spot for a bit. But still! :)

I looks amazing. Almost as if it's a super realistic model undergoing a wind tunnel test.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

haha cheers I've never been able to get a great shot of one. Luck of the draw aka macrophotography

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
You can get shots like this with a fast-ish AF lens (set your focus range limiter if available) and using AI servo / back button focus and a wide spread of AF points.

Sit near plants they are feeding on manually focus to close enough and then wait for one to hover, then spam the backbutton and click away.

Generally set your ISO high so your flash can be turned lower so it's faster.

I've taken a few like this thought this one is nicer than most of mine, they are fun from but I never really like them as there's generally too much motion blur for me to be satisfied with the shot. I might try again with the AD200Pro being capable of 1/13000.

In other news I bought a new lens the Laowa 100mm APO 2x it's a manual focus "zoomable" macro capable of infinity to 2x

with flash

Honey Bee by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Without flash

Small Copper by Aves Lux, on Flickr

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Time-lapse of a Tylenol dissolving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiaF95G0wzE

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

In other news I bought a new lens the Laowa 100mm APO 2x it's a manual focus "zoomable" macro capable of infinity to 2x

I’d really like to hear any more detailed thoughts you have about this lens after you’ve used it for a while. I have a MP-E 65 1-5x, and a 100 F/2.8L, and I carry them both with me for field shooting. However, since I rarely ever go above 2:1 hand-held this lens seems perfect for field shooting. If you have any thoughts to share, or comparisons I’d be interested. How weather-sealed does it seem? Is there filter threading on the outer barrel so you can cover that big open end, and if so do you get glare from your flash diffuser or any optical problems? Does it seem physically tough to handle travel or banging through the jungle? Did you get the tripod collar? Is it robust enough to mount my flash rig on?

I saw your post on photomacrography.net, and I’m sure that audience would appreciate you adding those thoughts as well.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Any thoughts on the 7artisans 60mm macro? Thinking of picking one up for my X-H1...the price is really good, which makes me wonder if it's more of a toy lens.

To contribute, I found this while cleaning up my flickr gallery.

Edit: Another

Rot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 11, 2019

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Rot posted:

Any thoughts on the 7artisans 60mm macro? Thinking of picking one up for my X-H1...the price is really good, which makes me wonder if it's more of a toy lens.

It's so inexpensive that buying it and forming your own opinion is relatively risk-free. But manual focus will rule out active critters where focusing with your feet or the focus ring can be too slow.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Graniteman posted:

I’d really like to hear any more detailed thoughts you have about this lens after you’ve used it for a while. I have a MP-E 65 1-5x, and a 100 F/2.8L, and I carry them both with me for field shooting. However, since I rarely ever go above 2:1 hand-held this lens seems perfect for field shooting. If you have any thoughts to share, or comparisons I’d be interested. How weather-sealed does it seem? Is there filter threading on the outer barrel so you can cover that big open end, and if so do you get glare from your flash diffuser or any optical problems? Does it seem physically tough to handle travel or banging through the jungle? Did you get the tripod collar? Is it robust enough to mount my flash rig on?

I saw your post on photomacrography.net, and I’m sure that audience would appreciate you adding those thoughts as well.

From my 2/3 quick shoots i've managed with work and the bad weather, it really feels like "the lens" for field macro obviously manual focus and no IS is what separates it from the Canon 100L but the ability to go to infinity to 2X is great. I'll post a more detailed review when i've used it more.

Kind of Blue by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It took me forever to catch the faint rainbow color at the edge of wings.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

It took me forever to catch the faint rainbow color at the edge of wings.

iridescence is hard to photograph, nice work. Monarch or Viceroy?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Was attempting to shoot BEES on the weekend to see how the xf55-200 works with an 11mm extender. Instead of bees, I noticed this imposterbee:

It's absolutely not a bee, it's movement was erratic and its eyes are wild compared to the solid black I see on our honeybees. It's also way too small to be a carpenter/bumblebee. What is this thing?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Looks like Anthophora Bimaculata (Little Flower-Bee) they are tiny and have unusual flight, but are still a bee (Apidae)

http://www.bwars.com/bee/apidae/anthophora-bimaculata

Where are you based?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

Looks like Anthophora Bimaculata (Little Flower-Bee) they are tiny and have unusual flight, but are still a bee (Apidae)

http://www.bwars.com/bee/apidae/anthophora-bimaculata

Where are you based?

That really does look like it - I'm in South Africa though, different continent, different hemisphere to the UK. I wonder if it traveled all this way or was brought here, as it does not seem endemic at all.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

jarlywarly posted:

Monarch; it doesn't have a black stripe across the hindwing. And it's hanging out on what appears to be tropical milkweed.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

sildargod posted:

That really does look like it - I'm in South Africa though, different continent, different hemisphere to the UK. I wonder if it traveled all this way or was brought here, as it does not seem endemic at all.

It might be another type of Anthophora there are >450 species all over.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Thanks.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Monarch; it doesn't have a black stripe across the hindwing. And it's hanging out on what appears to be tropical milkweed.

Bingo.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
more inflight insects!

Emperor Dragonfly

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

more inflight insects!

Emperor Dragonfly

Nice!!!

How did you get this shot? It almost looks as if you have a pet dragonfly that you managed to train to hold a certain position while you composed and focused the shot.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

Nice!!!

How did you get this shot? It almost looks as if you have a pet dragonfly that you managed to train to hold a certain position while you composed and focused the shot.

Sat by a pond you notice the Emperors like to hunt in similar areas this one kept buzzing past hovering and buzzing on again, I used my 80d and a snooted flash with the 100-400 IS II L f/5.6 pre focused to about the right distance, AI servo and multiple focus points as it comes past hold down the focus button and the shutter.

So patience, camera AF good light for the AF and a flash and luck.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
SUUUUUUP NEEEERDS?

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Wow.
This thread really is full of some impressive Art. I want to shoot stuff like this, but only having access to the camera on my phone means I'm shoving the lens in some poor dragonfly's eyeball or more likely ramming into its wing and freaking it out.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I think you can get clip on macro adapters for phones, but yeah macro is one the most gear dependant types of photography.

You can do good really work with a older cheap DSLR, reversed lens and a cheap flash though.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Graniteman posted:

I just used this lens for 2 weeks in Ecuadorian rainforest, and I love it. Didn't have any functional problems in 100% humidity and muddy environments. The only thing that bugged me was during the evenings on humid days when condensation started to build up on the inside of the protective UV filter on the front. I had to remove the filter periodically to let the haze dissipate.

Also the Laowa 2.5-5x works great, I'm going to carry it instead of the MP-E because it's so much more compact. As long as you have a bright flashlight to use as a modeling light, the lack of electronic aperture isn't a huge deal.

Plochionocerus sp. by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bubbacub posted:

I just used this lens for 2 weeks in Ecuadorian rainforest, and I love it. Didn't have any functional problems in 100% humidity and muddy environments. The only thing that bugged me was during the evenings on humid days when condensation started to build up on the inside of the protective UV filter on the front. I had to remove the filter periodically to let the haze dissipate.

Also the Laowa 2.5-5x works great, I'm going to carry it instead of the MP-E because it's so much more compact. As long as you have a bright flashlight to use as a modeling light, the lack of electronic aperture isn't a huge deal.

Plochionocerus sp. by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Yeah I've pretty much switched to it for everything apart from stacking for which I need electronic focus control. I'm working on some more detailed thoughts for a blog at some point, but I want to give it a decent few months of use.

Pollen 3 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:ohdear: Please do not die. :ohdear:

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I wanted to ask some questions real quick, because I think I've been confused about how y'all are taking these pics this whole time. I keep imagining a Regular Camera Macro lens as some long rear end sniper barrel sort of thing, and while they certainly exist, it looks like they also come in Normal Sized Lenses.
So like, when you guys are taking shots, are you set up on a tripod with some a camera centimeteres from the subject, or are you allowed some more wiggle room?
I'm just confused because every time I see some macro lens attachment for a phone it's just this tiny lil thing in relation to the hilarious Zoom Attachments you can strap on to your iphone.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
This is what I'm using, handheld, working distance is usually around 5-15 cm depending on size.
Tripods are pretty useless when your DoF is a few millimeters and your subject is mobile.

Macro is not like telephoto, you don't need a long lens, they are longer/bulkier than people expect because of the close focussing elements.
The most important part is the flash, that's what I spend most of my time on when I'm adjusting my setup.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 2, 2019

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't think this really counts as macro, this gal wasn't small. Munching on what appears to be a pinktoe tarantula.

Phoneutria sp. by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bubbacub posted:

I don't think this really counts as macro, this gal wasn't small. Munching on what appears to be a pinktoe tarantula.

Phoneutria sp. by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

so soft and terrifying, lovely.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

WeX Majors posted:

Wow.
This thread really is full of some impressive Art. I want to shoot stuff like this, but only having access to the camera on my phone means I'm shoving the lens in some poor dragonfly's eyeball or more likely ramming into its wing and freaking it out.

I got a cheap macro lens from Amazon (I wanted the giant zoom lens but you can get the rest of the lenses for like :10bux:) and I'm not taking any pictures nearly as good as the other posts in this thread, but it is still a ton of fun to gently caress around with.

Here's a video I got of an ant in my bathroom, cleaning himself like a cat:

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
So I finally decided to go out and try the macro lens I bought for my phone eons ago. I tried it once before at work and was just unimpressed with the quality of pictures it was producing.
After a bit of technical fuckery, and figuring out how to get the lens to work while in Professional Mode, Results were achieved!

It was so hard to get up close to anything and not freak it out since that lens only really works if it's just straight up in the insects face, but I'm glad to know it technically works!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The pixel art on butterfly wings is hypnotizing. I am not too stoked about the spider web in the background, but cropping it out made the image claustrophobic.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Swallowtails are gorgeous, I have problems photographing butterflies, the common larger species in my area will NOT let you get near. I have 1 or 2 shots I l really like of them.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Swallowtails are gorgeous, I have problems photographing butterflies, the common larger species in my area will NOT let you get near. I have 1 or 2 shots I l really like of them.

I feel you. Somebody should really make a 200 mm 1x macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
We have these amazing electric-blue butterflies here, they are huge - each wing is the size of my palm - and they fly super fast. I've been trying to get a good shot of one for a year and a half now but they really, really don't like to sit still for longer than a picosecond at a time.