Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
IIRC I created my Factorio account when I tried to play multiplayer for the first time, i.e. in-game.. Not exactly sure how you'd go about it now, but if you have ever played it multiplayer you probably have one already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

You do not log into their website with your steam account. You have (or can create) a Factorio account and link it to your Steam account.

Done; downloading; thanks!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
New FFF actually addresses some of the issues with the way the demo mis-trains new players.

Glad to see that. Still, the game could probably do with some better explanations of how different military tools work. I know that when I first picked the game up, turret walking was obvious to me, but a lot of the other stuff you can do wasn't. In particular, it wasn't until like my third time through the game that I ever built combat robots, because their stats just look so underwhelming on the face of it.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I never have problems fending off biters but I agree that they're mostly a tedious distraction when you just want to focus on designing. I have been watching a Krastorio series by Nilaus on Youtube and he's going crazy with the pollution scrubbers. He has biter expansion turned off and it's a very interesting way to coexist with biters because they aren't being agitated by a massive pollution cloud.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've gotten back into the game after probably a year out of it, and it is good. I'm still quite a newb though, and while this base is way better than my first attempt, there's still a lot I don't know.

Due to some interesting map settings I chose, my closest oil is pretty darn far away, thoroughly colonized by biters. I toned down the biters, including enabling the option that prevents them attacking first. So far I can happily skirt their bases. To get that oil I'm going to need to fight though, and while I've been stocking ammo and the like, I'm not sure how it will go because of the distance.

Questions:
Is there a way to see my current biter settings? I don't remember if I have evolution on or not.
If I start hostilities with biters, will they begin to attack me from all directions?
Do biters attack train tracks?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I've gotten back into the game after probably a year out of it, and it is good. I'm still quite a newb though, and while this base is way better than my first attempt, there's still a lot I don't know.

Due to some interesting map settings I chose, my closest oil is pretty darn far away, thoroughly colonized by biters. I toned down the biters, including enabling the option that prevents them attacking first. So far I can happily skirt their bases. To get that oil I'm going to need to fight though, and while I've been stocking ammo and the like, I'm not sure how it will go because of the distance.

Questions:
Is there a way to see my current biter settings? I don't remember if I have evolution on or not.
If I start hostilities with biters, will they begin to attack me from all directions?

If you have the biters set to passive, only a small area will turn aggressive when you attack them. And after enough time has passed without you attacking the spawners (pull far enough away while killing the mobile biters) they will go back to passive.

So feel free to set up your turrets closeish to the spawners, but be warned, as soon as you put ammo in they will start attacking.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Count Roland posted:

Questions:

Only biters in a small viscenity will become hostile when you attack. As for seeing the settings, you can export the map settings on the load screen and import into the map generator to view. Some console commands can also be used but it turns off achievements.

They may attack train tracks if you become hostile to them, but only in that area. I haven't played peaceful mode much, so it might be they only become hostile to you the player and ignore tracks entirely. Even if not you are a much higher priority target than the tracks would be.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 5, 2019

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m also getting back into this after being away for awhile. I’m loving the oil changes and new graphics. I build really slowly, so it was always a pain having to manage light/heavy oil when all the early fluid products drank petroleum.

I’d like to make my current game a bigger base than the usual spaghetti nightmare. I’m bussing copper and iron four lanes each, and I guess I’ll do two lanes of green, and one of plastic, steel and...sulfur? What’s the prevailing strategy? Bus everything?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone follow the streamer rain9441? He's been working on a vanilla megabase for a while and among all streamers he makes the most powerful practical use of the logic system that I've found. Specifically his outposting system is pretty incredible. With one seed station blueprint it plops down some combinators and stops he can then place any blueprints he wants and they will auto summon specific trains with robots and materials for whatever he placed. So it could be a mining/melting setup, or an acid uranium mining, or an artillery outpost or whatever, no interaction required. It's very impressive.

Here's an overlong semi-comprehensible writeup for it: https://imgur.com/a/kgITiqe

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Power Walrus posted:

I’m also getting back into this after being away for awhile. I’m loving the oil changes and new graphics. I build really slowly, so it was always a pain having to manage light/heavy oil when all the early fluid products drank petroleum.

I’d like to make my current game a bigger base than the usual spaghetti nightmare. I’m bussing copper and iron four lanes each, and I guess I’ll do two lanes of green, and one of plastic, steel and...sulfur? What’s the prevailing strategy? Bus everything?

Bus a lane of coal down to the point where plastic starts, then swap that lane to plastic. Gears take half the bus space as iron plates, so most people bus a couple lanes of them. You're going to need at least two lanes of steel with that much iron/copper. Red and blue circuits are also worth throwing into your bus once you start producing them, although you can easily make the argument that it's better to logistics blues since a belt full of them is a ton of resources sitting around. Sulfur only needs to get to three places - blue science, explosives, and wherever you're producing sulfuric acid. With a bit of planning, you may not actually need to widen your bus for it. Sometimes it's more efficient to just bring a resource across the bus at the point it's needed and group related production. It's also worth considering how you want to get stone, stone bricks, and solid fuel to the places they need to go.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Does anyone follow the streamer rain9441? He's been working on a vanilla megabase for a while and among all streamers he makes the most powerful practical use of the logic system that I've found. Specifically his outposting system is pretty incredible. With one seed station blueprint it plops down some combinators and stops he can then place any blueprints he wants and they will auto summon specific trains with robots and materials for whatever he placed. So it could be a mining/melting setup, or an acid uranium mining, or an artillery outpost or whatever, no interaction required. It's very impressive.

Here's an overlong semi-comprehensible writeup for it: https://imgur.com/a/kgITiqe
I do watch his speedruns and use a similar but simpler base system.
You can get 90% of his functionality with 10% of the combinators.

I was trying to build a system similar to his a few versions ago, but when I restarted with the .17 release I decided to just use a simpler system.
Mostly because I dislike importing blueprints, even from my own old bases.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Been running into Rain since his last Seablock casual run and a bunch of his speedrun plans.

Let that sink in. He is planning on speedrunning Seablock.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

KirbyKhan posted:

Let that sink in. He is planning on speedrunning Seablock.

He's still routing the last .16 version of seablock I assume?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Reverend Dr posted:

He's still routing the last .16 version of seablock I assume?

The current Vanilla run started in response to either Trainwreck, Angel, or Bobbingaround changing some algae/coal balance. Just wanted to give the mod enough time to settle and stop changing. I don't think he routes previous versions of things.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I finished my 1 science per second base and it was great. After looking at that awesome save I want to scale up to 1000 science per minute.

I was bored at work and felt like crunching some numbers comparing a raw furnace setup(with speed modules) and a setup with maximum beacons. It looks like the beacon base actually takes about double the resources to make. Unless I did things wrong of course. Just the number of beacons and the speed modules in them add up fast and quickly overtakes a pure furnace set up. The setup I was using has the maximum number of beacons surrounding each furnace.

Do I have this right? Not that there's anything wrong with a beacon-heavy base. I was just curious and thought it was interesting.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
That doesn't sound right. I'm phone posting so don't have real numbers handy but IIRC a fully beaconed 1k SPM base is going to need 20 blue belts of iron ore and nearly 30 of copper. 1 per second unbeaconed is no where near that.

A 90 spm base needs like 16 red belts of both, say a quarter or so of the 1k base.

This is all from memory but the orders of magnitude should be close at least.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Travic posted:

I finished my 1 science per second base and it was great. After looking at that awesome save I want to scale up to 1000 science per minute.

I was bored at work and felt like crunching some numbers comparing a raw furnace setup(with speed modules) and a setup with maximum beacons. It looks like the beacon base actually takes about double the resources to make. Unless I did things wrong of course. Just the number of beacons and the speed modules in them add up fast and quickly overtakes a pure furnace set up. The setup I was using has the maximum number of beacons surrounding each furnace.

Do I have this right? Not that there's anything wrong with a beacon-heavy base. I was just curious and thought it was interesting.

Yeah, there's more factors at work here.

Maximizing the number of beacons to a furnace doesn't minimize construction costs. You also need to consider the number of furnaces affected by each beacon.

Also, most megafactories aren't at all optimized for resource cost. They're optimized for cpu time. Fewer active objects = fewer calculations.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Maximizing the number of beacons to a furnace doesn't minimize construction costs. You also need to consider the number of furnaces affected by each beacon.

Also, most megafactories aren't at all optimized for resource cost. They're optimized for cpu time. Fewer active objects = fewer calculations.
I had never considered the meta-optimization that is CPU-time, that's pretty cool

How do logistics bots compare to belts in such analyses?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

crime weed posted:

I had never considered the meta-optimization that is CPU-time, that's pretty cool

How do logistics bots compare to belts in such analyses?

I think they're mostly better (bot movement mechanics are simpler per item), but less interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dr. Stab posted:

Ah that's it. My calculations estimated that at 12 beacons per furnace with sharing would come out to 8 beacons per furnace. I did more precise number crunching and it looks like with 12 beacons per furnace with them sharing it comes out to around 7.5 beacons per furnace. It gets more efficient as it scales up to a limit of 7 beacons per furnace.

Still costs way more in resources, but I never thought about my poor, defenseless (very old) CPU. Thanks.

necrotic posted:

That doesn't sound right. I'm phone posting so don't have real numbers handy but IIRC a fully beaconed 1k SPM base is going to need 20 blue belts of iron ore and nearly 30 of copper. 1 per second unbeaconed is no where near that.

A 90 spm base needs like 16 red belts of both, say a quarter or so of the 1k base.

This is all from memory but the orders of magnitude should be close at least.

Oh sorry I meant comparing a 1000SPM base with just more furnaces instead of beacons to a 1000SPM beacon-heavy base.

Travic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 6, 2019

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

It's boring to use other people's blueprints, but this is about the most efficient you can get with beaconed smelting: https://factorioprints.com/view/-KogJ8c9HZT3nJRErsIz

edit: using belts

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 6, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Travic posted:

Oh sorry I meant comparing a 1000SPM base with just more furnaces instead of beacons to a 1000SPM beacon-heavy base.

Oh, whoops!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Foehammer posted:

It's boring to use other people's blueprints, but this is about the most efficient you can get with beaconed smelting: https://factorioprints.com/view/-KogJ8c9HZT3nJRErsIz

edit: using belts

Yowsa. That's fancy. Thanks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Travic posted:

Ah that's it. My calculations estimated that at 12 beacons per furnace with sharing would come out to 8 beacons per furnace. I did more precise number crunching and it looks like with 12 beacons per furnace with them sharing it comes out to around 7.5 beacons per furnace. It gets more efficient as it scales up to a limit of 7 beacons per furnace.

Still costs way more in resources, but I never thought about my poor, defenseless (very old) CPU. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're looking at. Because, by my estimations it's still better to do the "every furnace is in a box of beacons" than "no beacons"

Discounting belts and power poles and boundary cases and applying permanent daytime because I'm lazy:
A furnace by itself costs 2 inserters, the furnace, two productivity modules and ~9 solar panels.
Additionally, for a beacon box, you need 5 beacons and 10 speed modules. also ~73 solar panels total per furnace.
For a standard layout, it's 1 beacon and 2 modules per furnace, and a total of ~33 solar panels per furnace.

A furnace by itself has a craft speed of 1.4 and costs ~2645 iron/copper per furnace, excluding belts and power poles, for ~1889 ore per craft per second.
A beacon box furnace has a craft speed of 13.4 and costs ~16820 iron/copper, for ~ 1255 ore per craft per second.
A standard beacon layout furnace has a craft speed of 9.4 and costs ~5911 iron/copper, for ~629 ore per craft per second.

For that fancy blue belt blueprint posted, it's cheaper than that.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking at. Because, by my estimations it's still better to do the "every furnace is in a box of beacons" than "no beacons"

Discounting belts and power poles and boundary cases and applying permanent daytime because I'm lazy:
A furnace by itself costs 2 inserters, the furnace, two productivity modules and ~9 solar panels.
Additionally, for a beacon box, you need 5 beacons and 10 speed modules. also ~73 solar panels total per furnace.
For a standard layout, it's 1 beacon and 2 modules per furnace, and a total of ~33 solar panels per furnace.

A furnace by itself has a craft speed of 1.4 and costs ~2645 iron/copper per furnace, excluding belts and power poles, for ~1889 ore per craft per second.
A beacon box furnace has a craft speed of 13.4 and costs ~16820 iron/copper, for ~ 1255 ore per craft per second.
A standard beacon layout furnace has a craft speed of 9.4 and costs ~5911 iron/copper, for ~629 ore per craft per second.

For that fancy blue belt blueprint posted, it's cheaper than that.

I fully admit my math may be wrong. It seemed right though. Since I've never made a factory that big before the problem may be with some of my assumptions. I used this site to calculate things.

The way I approached it was I had it calculate a 1,000SPM base with only furnaces + 2 speed mods each(+100% for each) and it said I'd need 2,265 Iron furnaces and 2,443 Copper furnaces. 4,708 total with 9,416 speed modules.
Base
Totals: 4,708 furnaces
9,416 Speed modules

10.5 million iron
19 million copper

Then I asked it for maximum speed with speed module beacons and 2 productivity modules. (+570% speed +20%) productivity. That lowered the number of furnaces to 522 and 608. Total 1,130. Each one having 2 productivity modules so 2,260. The beacon layout I used was the box configuration with each furnace surrounded by the max 12 beacons. Once I factored in sharing it came out to 7.5 beacons per furnace. 2 Productivity modules per furnace and 2 Speed modules per beacon.
Base

Totals:1,130 Furnaces
2,260 Productivity modules
8,475 Beacons
16,950 Speed modules

22 million iron
40 million copper

As the number of speed modules increases the metal cost skyrockets.

I didn't calculate solar panels because I use Nuclear power. Seeing everything typed out does make is seem implausible, but the math seems ok. I haven't had a chance to play with the blueprint that was posted, but I will as soon as I have some time. Again, this is mainly just for fun because I was curious.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I picked solar because it's easier, and also the best choice for megafactories. Nuclear requires a bunch of mining and fluid infrastructure that eats into UPS, while solar has zero marginal UPS cost and is basically free to begin with.

You're comparing all speed modules with speed/productivity, and then not accounting for the fact that one of these factories requires 17% less input resources. The actual lesson here is that all speed modules is mostly bad. The purpose of a speed module is to help maximize your productivity modules.

Also, I messed up and each additional furnace in the furnace square layout requires 4 additional beacons, not 5. I don't know where that 7.5 comes from, because if you were only considering tiling in one dimension, that number would be 6 or 8 depending on your layout.

The layout I'm looking at is something like this:

Look at any tileable segment of this layout, and you'll see 4 times as many beacons as furnaces.

eg.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

KirbyKhan posted:

The current Vanilla run started in response to either Trainwreck, Angel, or Bobbingaround changing some algae/coal balance. Just wanted to give the mod enough time to settle and stop changing. I don't think he routes previous versions of things.

That was probably early .17 when they added iron (sawblades from iron) to arboretums which completely changed his early game build (he and another runner had some mini-runs where they stopped once they got arboretum power up and running).

I am afraid that since seablock is based off of 4 separate sources of change (trainwreck, angel, bobbingaround, and wube) that it is not possible to route all of seablock before some change will invalidate much of the routing. I do really want to see the routing for a seablock speedrun.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dr. Stab posted:

I picked solar because it's easier, and also the best choice for megafactories. Nuclear requires a bunch of mining and fluid infrastructure that eats into UPS, while solar has zero marginal UPS cost and is basically free to begin with.

You're comparing all speed modules with speed/productivity, and then not accounting for the fact that one of these factories requires 17% less input resources. The actual lesson here is that all speed modules is mostly bad. The purpose of a speed module is to help maximize your productivity modules.

Also, I messed up and each additional furnace in the furnace square layout requires 4 additional beacons, not 5. I don't know where that 7.5 comes from, because if you were only considering tiling in one dimension, that number would be 6 or 8 depending on your layout.

The layout I'm looking at is something like this:

Look at any tileable segment of this layout, and you'll see 4 times as many beacons as furnaces.

eg.

Interesting. The productivity is baked in there though. It dropped a bunch of furnaces off the total. Which is nice. I'm just really looking a the raw resources to build the factory itself. I totally agree a beacon base is better by the way. I'm just playing around with designing and calculating because I'm weird and find it fun.

I'll fiddle around when I get home and see where the error is in my beacon estimate.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Having increased furnace productivity means you need to build fewer miners. That's the purpose of the productivity modules.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hey now, remember that 1k science per minute consumption is just a stepping stone on the way to 1k science per second.

The factory must expand to meet the needs of the expanding factory!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Just wait until I release my 1k seconds per science realism overhaul mod that makes climbing the tech tree in factorio take as long as it would in real life.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Is there any sort of non angelbob seablock mod setup out there that anyone knows of?

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

zxqv8 posted:

Is there any sort of non angelbob seablock mod setup out there that anyone knows of?

Yes (I haven't tried it)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BasicSeaBlock

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

Hey now, remember that 1k science per minute consumption is just a stepping stone on the way to 1k science per second.

This reminds me that the thread title really need to be updated.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

LonsomeSon posted:

Captain Planet doesn't stand a chance.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Solumin posted:

This reminds me that the thread title really need to be updated.

Travic posted:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Travic posted:

Perfect timing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Travic posted:

If we're not going to keep the holiday rename until the next round of holiday renames, this is probably the ticket.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Travic posted:

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Travic posted: