Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've recently started making my own mozzie sticks and I was thinking... you know, those baybel cheese in the wax... what if I fried those? How do they stand up to being fried? Is this an awful mistake or pure junk food bliss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

I've recently started making my own mozzie sticks and I was thinking... you know, those baybel cheese in the wax... what if I fried those? How do they stand up to being fried? Is this an awful mistake or pure junk food bliss?

Remove the wax first.

Babybel is pretty tasteless imo but so is low moisture mozzarella so eh

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I wanted to use some of the brine as a salad dressing, how would I do that?

I know in general I'd add some oil, some mustard to emulsify, some garlic maybe?

But what else? What ratios?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Annath posted:

If I wanted to use some of the brine as a salad dressing, how would I do that?

I know in general I'd add some oil, some mustard to emulsify, some garlic maybe?

But what else? What ratios?

traditionally it's 3:1 oil to vinegar. dont waste extra virgin on something like this, use canola or whatever.

test it out and maybe it needs a garlic clove or a dash of sugar or salt. its all you!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Make some deviled eggs but put your pepper brine in instead of the pickle brine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Doom Rooster posted:

Make some deviled eggs but put your pepper brine in instead of the pickle brine.

Pickle... brine?

In deviled eggs??

Wtf?

Do you mean pickle relish? Because literally every deviled egg I've made or eaten, the mix was the yolks, mayo, mustard, optional relish, then when the halves are filled garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I miss the food safty thread!

bought some shank earlier this week, butcher didn't wrap it well so some parchment was in contact with the beef. trimmed the parchment that got stuck on it off. near the parchment here was also a few strands of a white whispy mold on some fat. cut those off and salted and threw in the fridge.

should i throw them out? smell seems fine, the edges are a bit dry which is nothing i'd be concerned about aside from the mold.

/e 5 or 6 days old. only would have been below fridge temps on the walk home.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 5, 2019

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Annath posted:

Pickle... brine?

In deviled eggs??

Wtf?

Do you mean pickle relish? Because literally every deviled egg I've made or eaten, the mix was the yolks, mayo, mustard, optional relish, then when the halves are filled garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.

This doesn't sound all that weird to me- a little bit of liquid in the mix seems like a great way to season the yolks. Like in this recipe for instance https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/great-deviled-eggs-recipe.html it seems like you could replace the vinegar with pickle brine pretty easily.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Annath posted:

Pickle... brine?

In deviled eggs??

Wtf?

You should really broaden your deviled egg repertoire

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If one were to have forgotten a quart of Alton Brown's aged egg nog in a dark cool place for like two years, would it be delicious or poisonous?

Parents are moving and I'm being tasked with cleaning out a few corners I've hidden things in in the past, I'm pretty sure there are a few booze experiments I hid in their basement because my apartment is an oven.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Nephzinho posted:

If one were to have forgotten a quart of Alton Brown's aged egg nog in a dark cool place for like two years, would it be delicious or poisonous?

Parents are moving and I'm being tasked with cleaning out a few corners I've hidden things in in the past, I'm pretty sure there are a few booze experiments I hid in their basement because my apartment is an oven.

with that much booze in it it is probably safe. the fat may have gone rancid. i would give it a little sniff.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Mix some with normal water to cook pasta in then toss with shitloads of parmesan and some halved cherry tomatoes. Maybe.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I made some salad dressing, albeit just kind of eyeballing the ratio of brine to oil, and I used some olive oil and some peanut oil because those were the only oils I had lying around :v:

It's tasty, got a spicy, garlicy kick. Not very sweet, basically can't taste the mangoes that were in it, but I guess that makes sense, I feel like garlic and peppers have more dissolvable flavors.

Interestingly it appears to be still fermenting, because after I put the lid back on, the water in the airlock started being pushed outward right away, and it's released a bubble or two.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Like fart store said, it's boozy, so you've got a good chance. I think you can run a quick delle unit calculation on it to get a good idea how shelf stable it is - more on that in a sec.

But the three things I'd check:

1) Does it smell bad?
2) Did it fizz or hiss when opened?
3) Is there any sort of visual separation of ingredients, (does it have layers now?)

If any of those three, just chuck it. It's not worth the risk.

If it passes all three of those, it's probably ok.

So Delle units are a measure of stability for beverages, where each percent of sugar is worth one unit, and each percent of alcohol are worth 4.5. If they add up to 78 you've got something which is most likely indefinitely shelf stable.

So his recipe was:

12 eggs (~24 oz assuming 2 oz/egg)
1 pint half-n-half (~16 oz)
1 pint whole milk (~16 oz)
1 pint heavy cream (~16 oz)

1 cup Jamaican rum (8 oz)
1 cup cognac (8 oz)
1 cup bourbon (8 oz)
(24 oz alcohol assuming 80 proof is 9.6 oz of "pure" alcohol)

1 pound sugar (16 oz)

112 oz total, of which 14.3% is sugar and 8.6% is alcohol. So that gives 14.3 Delle units for the sugar and 38.7 units for the alcohol for a total of 53 Delle units.

I'm ignoring the nutmeg and salt, because it's trivial weight.

So while this is a very boozy drink, and it should keep for a long while, it is NOT indefinitely shelf stable. If it was refrigerated, I'd say it was probably OK, if it was just on a shelf, I'd toss it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You could even straight pickle the whites in your pepper brine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I picked up a package of MSG on a whim, what's the best way/thing to use it/on?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sprinkle a little in your coffee.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pretty much anything savoury you add salt to will benefit from also adding a bit of MSG alongside the salt.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So I was gonna jar my pepper paste tomorrow or Thursday depending on if I wrap up work early or not, but I got home today and some gnarly white stuff is on the surface of my peppers.

Is the batch ruined, or can I just ignore it?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just means everything's still fermenting, as you noticed with the brine earlier. If you're happy with the flavor and don't want any additional fermentation, pasteurize before storing.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

This morning I started soaking chickpeas for falafel intending to make it tomorrow, but something came up and it'd be more ideal to do it Saturday. What's the best way to store them for the extra 24 hours? Do I drain them like I'd normally do after they're soaked or keep them in water? Weirdly a quick search isn't giving me an answer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kitchen counter has a crack where it meets wall. If I don’t care how it looks is this something I can squirt silicone weatherproofing into?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

flesh dance posted:

This morning I started soaking chickpeas for falafel intending to make it tomorrow, but something came up and it'd be more ideal to do it Saturday. What's the best way to store them for the extra 24 hours? Do I drain them like I'd normally do after they're soaked or keep them in water? Weirdly a quick search isn't giving me an answer.

I'd pivot to hummus with those and soak more chickpeas for falafel, but that's because I prefer some crunch in my falafel.

Steve Yun posted:

Kitchen counter has a crack where it meets wall. If I don’t care how it looks is this something I can squirt silicone weatherproofing into?

Yes, but I would attempt to gently shove the counter back first. Get clear silicone and you probably won't be able to tell! I'd also watch some youtubes on smoothing out the caulk bead.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do you have something opposite this counter that you could brace against? I’d cut a couple of pieces of wood to that length, put some glue in the gap (no more nails or similar) then brace the counter top against the one opposite to hold it in place overnight. Then if it’s still an issue, silicone, but even with clear silicone it will be visible and not look great.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I misplaced a cookbook I wanted to use a while back, and I can't seem to find it again; I'm hoping someone might be able to help me remember what it was called, so that if worse comes to worst I can at least buy or order a replacement.

It was a beginner's cookbook, with 3 levels of recipes, that came in a 3-ring binder; it wasn't the "I Don't Know How To Cook Book", and it numbered the difficulty levels for the recipes, 1, 2, and 3. If I saw the book again I'd remember what it was, but without that I can't remember anything else for the life of me. Any ideas?

Was it Mark Bittman’s ‘How To Cook Everything’?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a good go-to Cuban sandwich recipe? Thinking of making up some for my wifes book club group.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Anyone got a good go-to Cuban sandwich recipe? Thinking of making up some for my wifes book club group.
Your crock pot Mojo pork shoulder recipe of choice (I think I’ve used an NYT one before?), deli ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and yellow mustard. I think I decided bread and butter pickles worked better than dill. If you can’t get Cuban bread, the day old leftover bread from Jimmy Johns is pretty similar. Put all that together and put it in a sandwich press or squish between two hot skillets.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Can someone help me ID these beans? They came in my farm share. Any recommendations on what to do with them would be most appreciated too.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
To me those look like immature shell beans. How many did they give you? Normally, I'd have harvested those later, and shelled them out for soup beans, but that may be a variety like a haricot that eats well as a "green bean" or a wax bean.

Are they supple to the touch, or is the shell on them leathery and tough?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Weltlich posted:

To me those look like immature shell beans. How many did they give you? Normally, I'd have harvested those later, and shelled them out for soup beans, but that may be a variety like a haricot that eats well as a "green bean" or a wax bean.

Are they supple to the touch, or is the shell on them leathery and tough?

I just ate one raw, shell and all, and it was fine so I don't think it is meant to be shelled. I got like a 1/3 lb of them.

Edit: The hull was a little fuzzy, like a peach but with stiffer boar-like hair.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just ate one raw, shell and all, and it was fine so I don't think it is meant to be shelled. I got like a 1/3 lb of them.

Edit: The hull was a little fuzzy, like a peach but with stiffer boar-like hair.

Yeah, in that case I'd saute them. That should wilt all those little hairs and soften them up a tad.

Then I'd either just keep sauteing them a little with some bacon or ham and eat them as is, or I'd add in some onion and bell pepper and saute until those were a little soft. Then toss that in a vinaigrette for a nice bean salad.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Weltlich posted:

Yeah, in that case I'd saute them. That should wilt all those little hairs and soften them up a tad.

Then I'd either just keep sauteing them a little with some bacon or ham and eat them as is, or I'd add in some onion and bell pepper and saute until those were a little soft. Then toss that in a vinaigrette for a nice bean salad.

That could work. My default plan was steam and toss with salt like edamame or whatever. They seem pretty flexible.

As an aside, I also got some mixed color swiss chard in the farm share and I sauteed them with garlic and olive oil and it was pretty divine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Those look like dragon tongue beans, which can be grown for use as a shelled bean but more commonly get used like any other snap bean.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, we had a few plants this year. We used them like normal green beans and they were great. Probably made that goon's white miso, honey garlic recipe more than anything else.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I have a cucumber salad marinating and it's way too runny. Ideas?

They're dressed in sour cream, vinegar, sugar, minced dill and parsley.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Resting Lich Face posted:

I have a cucumber salad marinating and it's way too runny. Ideas?

They're dressed in sour cream, vinegar, sugar, minced dill and parsley.

I think you’ve got two routes, one is adding pasta/grains that soak things up, the other is adding a dried vegetable or fruit.

If you add pasta, use something high surface area like a radiatore. Couscous, quinoa, and bulgur are also options.

You might also want to consider adding in something like dried blueberries, cranberries, or raisins. Let them soak and plump and they’ll draw in liquid.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Those are cranberry or dragon beans. You can shell them or steam/sauté in the shells.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Weltlich posted:

I think you’ve got two routes, one is adding pasta/grains that soak things up, the other is adding a dried vegetable or fruit.

If you add pasta, use something high surface area like a radiatore. Couscous, quinoa, and bulgur are also options.

You might also want to consider adding in something like dried blueberries, cranberries, or raisins. Let them soak and plump and they’ll draw in liquid.

Broccoli heads may also draw up some liquid (but may also contribute some if it's salty enough).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Too late now but to avoid that in the future salt and drain your cukes before adding your dressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

pile of brown posted:

Too late now but to avoid that in the future salt and drain your cukes before adding your dressing

i was going to recommend this but the juice is the flavor so i'd say prep and immediately serve or tolerate the watery sauce