Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Was the six books a definitive? I just assumed it was a rando marketing photo and not directly intended to imply six specific books.

(Unrelated edit: All the stubbers on Primaris stuff is super weird to me too. That’s hive-ganger poo poo. Multilasers might have seemed more thematic.)

GW has been pretty particular about their marketing recently. I feel like it's safer to assume that the picture is accurate than they arbitrarily picked the same number of books as remaining founding chapters.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Or the Blood Ravens one from literally the latest issue.

Maybe the main book suggests combinations of traits from the "chapter tactics" tables to represent the notable successor chapters that have had rules before? Crimson Fists and Black Templars can probably bunk in with Imperial Fists in their supplement.

I suspect Crimson Fists players would be really unhappy if their very detailed, in-depth article featuring multiple stratagems and other content was replaced by two chapter tactics. Blood Ravens I could actually see being an initial example of that; the Blood Ravens Chapter Tactic is actually two separate abilities (ignore wound rolls of 1-2, re-roll any or all dice rolls of 1), the Chief Librarian stratagem could become a generic one, and Purgatorus is a nasty pistol but I doubt it would be hard to copy it over.

Of course if that happened I would probably cancel my White Dwarf subscription since that's such a lazy thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Can anyone recommend a good method of deep cleaning citadel brushes? I'm new to painting and still learning about brush care and these guys are not in great shape already.

Also, I see a lot of wire and foam/cork stands for painting and spray painting, which seems like it would help keep my greasy goon hands off my models. What's your go-to setup there?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Get some Masters Brush Cleaner & Preserver and use that on your brushes after every painting session. It will keep your brushes all nice. For a deeper clean you can submerge the brush tips in some Windsor & Newton Brush Cleaner for an hour or so, maybe even longer, I haven’t personally had to use mine yet. Just don’t use the stuff often, as it’ll slowly destroy your brushes if you use it all the time. It should be perfect for bringing your knackered brushes back from the brink though.

Also be careful not to submerge more than the tip in the W&N Cleaner, as it can damage the rest of the brush handle. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T1YH672/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-n5rDbJMW06H3 can really help with that, as it will hold the brush in position while it soaks.

Edit: I use the Citadel Painting Handle for holding models while I paint them. It’s worth it’s weight in gold.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Riatsala posted:

Can anyone recommend a good method of deep cleaning citadel brushes? I'm new to painting and still learning about brush care and these guys are not in great shape already.

Also, I see a lot of wire and foam/cork stands for painting and spray painting, which seems like it would help keep my greasy goon hands off my models. What's your go-to setup there?

This stuff works really well for cleaning brushes. Note that you have to be very careful with it, as it will take the paint off the handle itself if you're not careful.

My setup is a bunch of large cork stoppers (like 2" in diameter and 2" tall) that I glued some magnetic sheet on top. The undersides of the bases has a large metal washer in it. I also do a lot of sub-assemblies that are glued to pieces of sprue. The Citadel Paint handle is actually pretty decent as well.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Seconding the Masters Brush Cleaner; I use it after roughly every hour, and at the end of each session, and it seems to help extending brush life. I haven't tried any deep clean stuff yet but it's sounding pretty appealing.

There's more stuff you can do to care of your brushes than cleaning them; for example I've noticed that metallic paint will absolutely thrash brushes, so I try to keep some separate for use with metallics. Avoiding getting paint in the ferrule (the metal bit) is a big one too, because you're really hosed once you do, it'll never hold a good point with little chunks of dried paint pushing the bristles apart.

The citadel paint handle is great, and cheap, definitely pick one up. If you don't have wire/drill/cork handy, I've found that little offcuts of sprue glued/blu-tak'd (where appropriate) to the sub-assemblies is a good substitute. I'm also considering wearing the latex gloves I have for airbrushing during regular painting as well, to mitigate the greasy-goon-hands problem you mentioned, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be just yet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree Brush Cleaner is phenomenal.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
a $3 brush cleaner makes your $25 paint brush last years longer than it otherwise would.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Yeast posted:

a $3 brush cleaner makes your $25 paint brush last years longer than it otherwise would.

Being always wondering, what's the go too brand?

Edit: just seen the link, hopefully I can keep my brushes in good nick now.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

You guys are incredibly helpful, thank you.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Being always wondering, what's the go too brand?

Edit: just seen the link, hopefully I can keep my brushes in good nick now.

I would personally recommend master's brush soap for everyday use, and then the deeper cleaning fluids as a sometimes food.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I painted over 3000 points of Primaris and Knights using W&N Series 7 brushes cleaned with Master's brush soap. I never had to replace any of them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

nite_moogle posted:

Custom chapters and 76 datasheets and 38 strategems (none of which are likely to be chapter specific) and 3 combat doctrines and 7 chaplain litanies and and and

Boy am I excited to get cracking on the Adepticon list.

Where does it say 76 datasheets? I’m not seeing that anywhere in either of the two preview articles.

That said, here’s obsessive math anyway: Codex Adeptus Astartes Space Marines (2017) has 85 datasheets, of which 17 are chapter-specific: Sixteen chapter-specific characters (well, fifteen plus Grimaldus’s servitors) and the Crusader Squad. That leaves 68 chapter-agnostic datasheets. If Codex Space Marines (2019) does indeed have 76, that means eight new units, or more if any current Space Marine units are being retired.

So. Known new units:
1. Infiltrators
2. Eliminators
3. Suppressors
4. Lieutenant in Phobos Armor (unless that’s getting folded into the Primaris Lieutenant datasheet as a wargear option or something, which seems unlikely, but it’s sure going to bug me if the units are called Lieutenants, Primaris Lieutenants, and Lieutenant in Phobos Armor....)
5. Captain in Phobos Armor
6. Repulsor Eliminator
7. Invictor
8. Impulsor

Which is indeed seventy-six.

...are you just guessing seventy-six based on the same math I just did?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Librarian in Phobos Armour?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Librarian in Phobos Armour?

poo poo, I knew I was forgetting something.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Hopefully these new psyker powers mentioned in the preorder article (Indomitus & Stormspeaking disciplines) will improve space marine psykers. I’ve never heard anyone speak fondly about the Librarius discipline.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I wonder how difficult it would be to kitbash Corvus Cabal birdfaces into Reiver helms.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Black Grey is a touch darker than Eshin. That being said, since I started using it this week, I've been in love with Vallejo Model Air Black Grey (it's actually called VMA Panzer Grey, but has the same color as their Model Color Black Grey: RAL 7021).

I've been painting Custodes using VMA Panzer/Black Grey for their bodies and it's just :discourse:

Dats hawt.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
*bangs knife and fork on the table*
Emperor's Children

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

I will have you know that GW employs an elite team of eight year-olds specifically to design primaris vehicles. They have yet to meet a component they couldn't cram another gun onto.

The peak of this is the butt-stubber on the regular Repulsor.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Where does it say 76 datasheets? I’m not seeing that anywhere in either of the two preview articles.

They edited the pre-order article at some point during the day. There was originally a sentence stating that there are 76 datasheets in the new codex and they would be usable by every chapter, including the non-codex compliant ones. There was also an associated footnote confirming that, yes, you could use stormravens in your space wolves army and have it carry characters. They were both gone when I went back to it a few hours after first reading it to share the link with some friends.

Guessing the issue was that the three special chapters don't actually get access to every datasheet in the codex, just most of it. They can use it for for basic stuff like tactical squads, land raiders, or intercessors, but they still won't have access to thunderfire cannons, assault terminators for DA, etc. In any case, they'll still need the new codex for the latest primaris release datasheets, combat doctrines, and litanies for chaplains.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

*bangs knife and fork on the table*
Emperor's Children

I've nearly finished painting 2000 points of Death Guard and I want my spiffy new Emperor's Children, dang it.
Or World Eaters, I'm not picky. Otherwise, I'm going to keep taking forever to paint my 30k Word Bearers.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Kinda excited for these shock assault power armour rules for Death Guard to be honest.

The choppy load outs could be worth playing around with as +1A on the charge is doubling your output on the heavy melee weapons.

Squad with 2 flails for 4d3 attacks with damage rollover will make for decent infantry clearing or a squad with 2 cleavers + powerfist captain will put a dent in vehicles, especially with vets of the long war and with the plague rule of reroll 1s to wound.

You're still going to need to pay the rhino tax due to 5" mv, but it does really help a previously weak option seem much more attractive.

Also hoping that termies get the rule as deathshroud will love this rule too.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Also hoping that termies get the rule as deathshroud will love this rule too.

I believe they said its going to be a universal rule for them like bolter drill

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That new Dread is sortof disappointing, I guess I was really hoping for more Rogue Trader inspired stuff

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah, 3d3 attacks on a Blightlord flail is great. With the two buffs combined it makes the terminators a much more attractive option, even though they were already the “best” of terminators.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gunder posted:

Hopefully these new psyker powers mentioned in the preorder article (Indomitus & Stormspeaking disciplines) will improve space marine psykers. I’ve never heard anyone speak fondly about the Librarius discipline.

Hopefully GW will also unfuck the Librarius discipline in the new book. The SM Datacards includes 13 powers, although that just might be Librarius, Phobos, and Smite.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hopefully GW will also unfuck the Librarius discipline in the new book. The SM Datacards includes 13 powers, although that just might be Librarius, Phobos, and Smite.

It's undoubtedly that. They might tweak it though, its the oldest discipline and man it shows.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Since this is a new codex rather than an optional update like the CSM one earlier this year, I hope they're gonna revise some of the lovely stratagems or datasheets and make them playable. They fixed the Vindicator in Apocalypse so GW at least seem to be aware of some issues.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought this LotD guy off eBay recently and cleaned him up, however his right foot is not even with the left:

Is there a better way than pliers that I can lower the foot? I don't want to mess up the metal.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's undoubtedly that. They might tweak it though, its the oldest discipline and man it shows.

Hopefully they won't gently caress with Obscuration but will instead adjust one of the worst disciplines in the game to be more on part with other options. Currently Librarius is so bad that people won't even combine it with other disciplines through things like the Tome of Malcador. Most disciplines seem to have two decent powers, maybe 1-2 middling ones, and then the rest are complete trash. Librarius barely has 1-2 middling powers (Might of Heroes and Veil of Time) and then the rest are garbage. Veil of Time is helpful but there are lots of ways to get rerolls. Might of Heroes is nasty when applied correctly or as a way to protect a high T model. Psychic Scourge is complete garbage, yet somehow is still better than Fury of the Ancients. Psychic Fortress might be relevant if psyker powers were more prevalent. Null Zone either needs a ranged effect or reduced cost to be useful.

Obscuration, on the other hand, is one of the latest disciplines and it's vasty better. Temporal Corridor provides consistent, effective movement. Scryer's Gaze is useful for Eliminators but otherwise might not be great. Shrouding can be really effective at preventing a fragile Phobos unit from getting hurt. Hallucination is useful when it goes off and works with other Ld based abilities (like Mind Wipe for Dark Angels or Mind Raid). Tenebrous Curse is brutal against charging enemies and can be combined with Jaws of the World Wolf for devastating effect. Mind Raid is a rare source of command points and fairly reliable on a 3d6.

What I expect to see is a lot of Supreme Command detachments featuring an array of psykers from different chapters, especially if the Empyric Channeling remains and retains the Space Marine keyword (or better yet is expanded to Adeptus Astartes). Both the Ultramarine and White Scars book will feature their own powers so I wouldn't be surprised if the other books do the same.

Professor Shark posted:

I bought this LotD guy off eBay recently and cleaned him up, however his right foot is not even with the left:

Is there a better way than pliers that I can lower the foot? I don't want to mess up the metal.

What's your basing scheme? You could put a rock or something underneath his foot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Professor Shark posted:

I wouldn't bother, just put a stone or more basing material under that foot

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hopefully they won't gently caress with Obscuration but will instead adjust one of the worst disciplines in the game to be more on part with other options. Currently Librarius is so bad that people won't even combine it with other disciplines through things like the Tome of Malcador. Most disciplines seem to have two decent powers, maybe 1-2 middling ones, and then the rest are complete trash. Librarius barely has 1-2 middling powers (Might of Heroes and Veil of Time) and then the rest are garbage. Veil of Time is helpful but there are lots of ways to get rerolls. Might of Heroes is nasty when applied correctly or as a way to protect a high T model. Psychic Scourge is complete garbage, yet somehow is still better than Fury of the Ancients. Psychic Fortress might be relevant if psyker powers were more prevalent. Null Zone either needs a ranged effect or reduced cost to be useful.

Im also hoping for a buff libarius discipline. The only strategy ive seen work with the libarius powers is just pumping up Leviathan melee dreadnoughts with might of heroes. I'd love to see Null Zone drop in charge to cast, especially after abusing the hell of death hex as chaos

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

It's boring as hell, OP.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Goddamn those skulls own

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So I haven’t gone to a tournament in and while and I’m doing one this weekend. Are there any new-ish FAQ/errata “gotchas” I need to keep an eye out for, either specific to Tyranid or generally to the core rules?

The only one I can think of for Nids is declaring Pathogenic Slime at the start of the Shooting Phase, but I could be forgetting something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/05/battle-sister-bulletin-part-13-leading-from-the-frontgw-homepage-post-2/

Granny has finally had enough of kids taking her cookies without saying thanks.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Sisters being humans with a few extra plug sockets for power armour meaning their HQs are likely to be and look pretty old is so good.

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 5, 2019

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Pros: Kicking rear end with murder granny is awesome

Cons: Monopose - a lot of weapon options might be falling to index-only

That's clearly a plasma weapon just barely peeking out from behind her back - it doesn't look like a combi plasma either, pistol probably? Sisters' limited access to plasma is a pretty big weakness at the moment, but it's also not one of their iconic weapons, so it seems like an odd choice to mold onto that model if it is as monopose as it looks.

Also the way they refer to the "Rod of Office" makes it sound like a wargear item, so I am guessing the available loadouts are going to change. I really hope it doesn't become super limited, especially if they stick it to be, say, plasma pistol and power sword, two sub-par choices.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/05/space-marines-preview-enhanced-chapter-tacticsgw-homepage-post-1-2/
I am happy as hell with these changes so far, my Salamanders are gonna love this. :fap:

Chapter tactics applying to vehicles is a big game changer for marines, along those tactics being improved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/05/space-marines-preview-enhanced-chapter-tacticsgw-homepage-post-1-2/
I am happy as hell with these changes so far, my Salamanders are gonna love this. :fap:

Chapter tactics applying to vehicles is a big game changer for marines, along those tactics being improved!

This is all Cool and Good.

I wonder what the eight featured Chapters will be.