Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Well the CE thread got closed because apparently we're not allowed to disagree with banning guns? so why not talk about it here instead, since it seems like another topic mods don't want to deal with

Did I say "don't talk about this" or did I say "let's take a break?"

People were winding up a poster who was still able to articulate his argument while clearly being emotional about it, which is something you've never been able to figure out.

It was that or a carpet bombing. Weird how you're only okay with less collateral damage when it benefits you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The chat fits better here anyway.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

People were winding up a poster who was still able to articulate his argument while clearly being emotional about it, which is something you've never been able to figure out.

Maybe articulating this somewhere other than the discord would be a good idea, then, eh?

Because for folks without access to the discord it just looks like you shut it down for no real reason, rather than this actually very decent reason (follow-up personal attack notwithstanding)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Maybe articulating this somewhere other than the discord would be a good idea, then, eh?

Because for folks without access to the discord it just looks like you shut it down for no real reason, rather than this actually very decent reason (follow-up personal attack notwithstanding)

Bloo bloo bloo McNally's being mean to me.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

Bloo bloo bloo McNally's being mean to me.

That's... not the point of that post?

Edit: I'm just saying that "Let's take a break" without further explanation tends to confuse people, and when the actual rationalization for it is in the GiP discord but not in the thread then it kind of defeats the purpose.

I get that GiP is tight-knit but the CE thread gets a lot of outside traffic, so maybe being more explicit in the post there about taking the break would be a good idea.

Genuinely not trying to poo poo on you over anything, just noting it took me checking the discord that I haven't checked in months to find why the CE thread got locked.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 4, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Then why even bring up the "follow-up personal attack?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Professor Bling posted:

IRRELEVANT YOU DISAGREED ERGO YOU ARE WRONG, GOON SIR

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Professor Bling posted:

hey shut up and stop being dumb

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
At least this thread made me realize I didn't see or bookmark the August CE thread.

Zipped through the last four days worth of current events and I honestly think I'd be better off mentally if I didn't read about this lovely news and developments in our dumb lovely world

:negative:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hey shut up and stop being dumb

He's not, you are. Go touch a generator and cause an island-wide blackout or something.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I took a break. Had something to eat.

Professor Bling, I owe you an apology. You were being completely reasonable here and I was being a jackass. I'm sorry about that.

Yes, absolutely, I should have articulated my reason for closing the CE thread. I take the forum/discord overlap for granted and I need to be more mindful that what I say in there isn't available to everybody.

And then I cranked my assholery to 11.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey, it's all good, no worries on my end. Trust me, I know about cranking assholery to 11. I might take issue with some of your modding decisions (and be a real rear end in a top hat about it) but you could be doing a whole lot worse.

I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat this time, even if that first post about it may have come off that way.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 5, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

He's not, you are. Go touch a generator and cause an island-wide blackout or something.

Telling other posters they should die is pretty lovely.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chichevache posted:

lol

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

I think he was making reference to TwoFing's unfortunate experience with marine generators rather than telling him to fry himself on a generator.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

I think he was making reference to TwoFing's unfortunate experience with marine generators rather than telling him to fry himself on a generator.

Ah, if that's the case then my mistake. I wasn't aware of that forums lore.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

McNally posted:

That's exactly what it was. I love our resident generator destroyer.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Honestly, shootings like this one are a good argument for why, despite the poo poo we give them, cops are necessary.

We need cops for times when a fucker is murdering people rapidly and with wanton. We need cops less for busting people for harmless poo poo like weed, loitering, and [activity] while black.

So picking a mass shooting as reason to dunk on cops is a bit off to me. There are soooo many reasons to dunk on cops but at least bro-douche casual bigot cop is temporarily part of the fight against active shooters, even if he and the shooter both post racist memes?

I dunno. Mostly pissed some fragile white boy from elsewhere shot up my city because of those durn brown people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Ah, if that's the case then my mistake. I wasn't aware of that forums lore.

it was more of a discord thing, there is a magical (for everyone but me) period from october-december 2017 where i was on a superyacht that just loving broke over and over and over and over, every spares order i made was delayed or denied and i think my record was going two whole days without the ship blacking out on me

then i got another job on a different yacht and within two weeks two of the generators had had major failures, not the 'oh you forgot to check the oil' type failure but 'the windings have burnt out, what the literal gently caress this is completely not operator error and yet it happened within weeks of you getting here'

basically, machinery around me breaks in hilarious ways

oh and yeah i probably shouldn't have told bling to shut up either my bad

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mlmp08 posted:

Honestly, shootings like this one are a good argument for why, despite the poo poo we give them, cops are necessary.

We need cops for times when a fucker is murdering people rapidly and with wanton. We need cops less for busting people for harmless poo poo like weed, loitering, and [activity] while black.

So picking a mass shooting as reason to dunk on cops is a bit off to me. There are soooo many reasons to dunk on cops but at least bro-douche casual bigot cop is temporarily part of the fight against active shooters, even if he and the shooter both post racist memes?

I dunno. Mostly pissed some fragile white boy from elsewhere shot up my city because of those durn brown people.

The other issue is that the cops seem to be strongly inclined to assist said right wing domestic terrorist organizations in any circumstance that isn't about an active shooter. Check out Portland PD coordinating with the Proud Boys for a recent egregious example.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

like the stoneman Douglas one that pissed himself in the parking lot instead of doing his loving job?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bird cooch posted:

like the stoneman Douglas one that pissed himself in the parking lot instead of doing his loving job?

That piece of poo poo was widely ridiculed and condemned by literally every single cop I know, and on every single cop forum or message board I read. He's a loving coward who should eat his own gun, and didn't deserve to have a badge.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bird cooch posted:

What's your point? He was a pussy who shouldn't have had the job. We still need to have people around to deal with active shooters. Gilroy PD stopped theirs.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Whole lot of you need to sit and have a think about the language you use

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

if i have to pm everybody using misogynistic language that’s going to be a very lame way for me to spend my night! oval office & pussy used as insults are slurs (and honestly i thought y’all were better than that)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Just report the posts and I'll deal with it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Language like this?

Detain my balls, bitch

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chichevache posted:

Language like this?

And? Detain them, bitch. Just don't use some hosed up rear end language like you have.

You know the difference.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Perhaps try and have empathy for other humans with the language you use, but when it comes to authority it can gently caress right off and eat my rear end in a top hat.

As can fascists.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Perhaps try and have empathy for other humans with the language you use, but when it comes to authority it can gently caress right off and eat my rear end in a top hat.

As can fascists.

gently caress you, sir

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

That piece of poo poo was widely ridiculed and condemned by literally every single cop I know, and on every single cop forum or message board I read. He's a loving coward who should eat his own gun, and didn't deserve to have a badge.

He lived, that's punishment enough.

The bolded part is why you can always and forever gently caress right off, though.

e: fix my bracketing error

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 14, 2022

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

And? Detain them, bitch. Just don't use some hosed up rear end language like you have.

You know the difference.

Bitch is a gendered insult and if you want to be the language police then set an example instead of being a hypocrite. You know, like a cop would be. :jerkbag:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, I suppose if there's a right thread for the language police to show up, it's this one.

:dadjoke:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

He lived, that's punishment enough.

The bolded part is why you can always and forever gently caress right off, though.

e: fix my bracketing error

Wait I thought ACAB always and forever. Sooooo... you don't want them all dead?

The guy literally had a chance to save the lives of the kids he was supposed to protect. It had been 19 years since Columbine, 19 years since all training doctrine had changed. 19 years for him to be trained in the new active shooter response doctrine - go towards the gunfire and stop the threat. His reckless and cowardly actions almost assuredly let more people die than would have had he intervened. I suppose living with knowing that fact for the rest of his days would be an apt punishment. You're right. I was too flippant about suicide.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 5, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't pretend like he is the only example post-Columbine. No duty to protect, along with 'I ain't dying in no ghetto' breeds cowardice.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

What's your point? He was a pussy who shouldn't have had the job. We still need to have people around to deal with active shooters. Gilroy PD stopped theirs.

The other problem is is there's a whole fuckin bunch of them. Every cop that shoots a dog or an unarmed person should be charged not only with the crime but also the underlying discharge of a firearm reckless endangerment destruction everything and throw their asses in jail cuz if you're that big of a loving coward you don't deserve to walk the streets.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chichevache posted:

Bitch is a gendered insult and if you want to be the language police then set an example instead of being a hypocrite. You know, like a cop would be. :jerkbag:

Tell you what, you keep using whatever language you want until God himself calls you out then.

Fucker.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tell you what, you keep using whatever language you want until God himself calls you out then.

Fucker.

Thanks, officer. Am I free to leave now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yesterday, I was telling my wife how in "It Could Happen Here", one of the possible ignition points was having ANTIFA declared a terrorist group. That was his main one given for an expansion in Left wing violence. For the Right, it was the obvious, gun control. Seeing both happen it quick succession unnerved me a bit.

Also, if you haven't listened to it, check it out.

Related- do we have a list of recommended podcasts? Wasn't that a thread at some point, or am I making poo poo up in my memories?