Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blast Fantasto posted:

I find it fascinating and also I think it’s important that poo poo like that gets published, rather than just silently sitting by while the hyper rich ruling class destroys everything they touch to make dividends.

Can't stop what's coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Why try :rolleyes:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sounds like I’m not alone

https://twitter.com/albertburneko/status/1157322790229487618?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's good and cool that they publicly call out the private equity ghouls trying to run the company into the ground

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

MourningView posted:

It's good and cool that they publicly call out the private equity ghouls trying to run the company into the ground

And in the article they call out the publicly traded ghouls who tried to run them into the ground before that. I'm guessing up next is the all patreon model.

Edit: You know what my bad Univision went private a while back.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 2, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean publicly traded isn’t any better than privately traded. It theoretically should be but in practice nah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was googling around to see if The Starters found a landing spot yet, and kept finding various subreddits with questions like like "Should [media blog] add The Starters?" and the resounding message seemed to be that people apparently didn't actually like them. I thought they were the least offensive/controversial NBA coverer out there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I was googling around to see if The Starters found a landing spot yet, and kept finding various subreddits with questions like like "Should [media blog] add The Starters?" and the resounding message seemed to be that people apparently didn't actually like them. I thought they were the least offensive/controversial NBA coverer out there.

I think it's one of those deals where people who liked them really liked them and everyone else was sort of confused by the whole thing.

I remember listening to TBJ podcast back when it was like Skeets talking to Tas in his kitchen so the fact that it became what it was, even for a relatively short time, is still kind of insane.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I liked TBJ/starters as a podcast but it's not good TV, to me, and it being a TV product made the podcast worse

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I mean I almost never watched the show unless I was at work and could throw it on, since I don't have NBA TV at home. However the Drop Podcasts which were this year every Tuesday and Friday were/are always must listens. I think they're really chill guys who don't overreact and have a great and genuinely funny rapport.

The thing I don't really understand from a Turner perspective is the rumors floated were a cost cutting measure, but they have these massive empty programming blocks on NBA TV that are basically filled with classic games and NBA gametime. And while its a handful of people salaried, I'm 100 percent positive the starters cost nothing to make.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the fact that deadspin's writers routinely write poo poo like that (their interview with Univision after they bought them, eg.) is one of the reasons I trust them 100x more than basically any other publication

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Verducci is calling the astros a small market 'upstart' team.

Y'know, the team in that tiny city of Houston.

:psyboom:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Isn’t Houston like 4th behind NYC, LA, and Chicago? Wtf?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yep. They're also like #5 or 6 in payroll. But who's ever heard of them, especially in that tiny rear end town?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Smallest markets in the four major pro sports (metro areas, rough pop estimates):

1. Green Bay*, 318k
2. Winnipeg, 778k
3. Buffalo, 1.1m
4. SLC: 1.1m
5. New Orleans: 1.2m
n-4: Houston, 6.7m
n-3: Dallas/Fort Worth, 7.2m
n-2: Chicago, 9.5m
n-1: LA, 13.3m
n: NYC, 20.1m

So yeah, Houston wants to play the underdog card by virtue of being a :airquote: small market :airquote:. People sadly eat it up.

*Green Bay functionally is the whole state of Wisconsin (at the very least unofficially includes Milwaukee), but I digress. If you include Milwaukee... it now ranks above Nashville but below Indy, and still below 2m total.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Green Bay also includes the UP

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

That'd put the total, if you included the entirety of the UP, Green Bay, and Milwaukee, over 2m :v:

What I'm saying is "markets are fluid" but more supporting the argument that Houston is NOT a small market.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Isn’t Houston like 4th behind NYC, LA, and Chicago? Wtf?

flyover country bias is real

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1158019191414370306

i'm sure they're not gonna get in trouble over this

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Market can mean more than "# of people living around the team" though. Twin cities are the 14th largest market among NBA teams, but the Timberwolves are not an above-average NBA market. Atlanta is one of the biggest metro areas in the country but it's a city of transplants so the pro-sports market is much smaller.

I'm still not sure I'd call the Astros a small-market team but I wouldn't say they are a bigger market than, like, the Red Sox or something just because the city has a larger population.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1158019191414370306

i'm sure they're not gonna get in trouble over this

"Hey, I finally beat Woj to something" - millions of people

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Woj is going to start reporting mass shootings hours before they happen.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/RJ_Sports/status/1158144574570881024

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This map is actually accurate to how the NFL looks at home markets.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I like how the only people who care about the Jets are long islanders

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AsInHowe posted:

This map is actually accurate to how the NFL looks at home markets.

No one in Gary, Indiana roots for the Colts.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And no one in Steubenville, OH roots for the Browns.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
My anecdotal eyes don't see many Broncos fans in Utah. No more than any other team at least

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Well, it's how the NFL does the TV distribution.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Well, it's how the NFL does the TV distribution.

Not really, since there’s tons of overlap in team territories and that map shows none.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

painstakingly made from a map made by a ticket seller

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

just in time for premier league season

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1158257203993821184

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Not really, since there’s tons of overlap in team territories and that map shows none.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

My anecdotal eyes don't see many Broncos fans in Utah. No more than any other team at least

Blast Fantasto posted:

No one in Gary, Indiana roots for the Colts.

Mahoning posted:

And no one in Steubenville, OH roots for the Browns.

yall realize you're talking about a kids' puzzle, right?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

DJExile posted:

yall realize you're talking about a kids' puzzle, right?

Yeah but it means I have too much Elway in my life so I wanna complain about it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

painstakingly made from a map made by a ticket seller

Too many similar colors here but why does that section of Alaska root for...a red team?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the answer to that is probably "small sample size"

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think it's the Niners red. If the map was made from ticket sale info, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that the geographically closest cities would "win" Alaska and Hawaii.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Too many similar colors here but why does that section of Alaska root for...a red team?

I imagine it's a pretty small sample size

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
imagine believing that charger fans actually exist

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I like how the only people who care about the Jets are long islanders

I mean, seems accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This reminds me of the time Michael Bloomberg was thinking about running for President in 2016 and talked about Denver like it was a quaint western outpost stuck at the top of a mountain.