Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I have to say though, regardless of whether it's explained in a different route or not, it's pretty weird from a storytelling standpoint to have so many plot threads not even go addressed in some routes. I could understand it if it was a matter of only certain sides being privy to the information and the characters reluctantly moving on to more important matters, but like, it's not even acknowledged that there might be an unanswered question there in some cases (e.g. [Black Eagle spoiler] the Death Knight).

Yeah it'd be one thing if the characters said "well, we don't really have enough information to know exactly what's going on" and it becomes clear that the other routes will fill in the blanks - this is how I feel about a lot of the church mysteries, those will get filled out by the Church route probably. But, the game occasionally just totally ignores the possibility of giving you answers to things the characters would definitely know. Like, the nuking of the city seems like a huge, huge deal that is just 1000% glossed over.

I said this before, but it feels like some cutscenes are just missing from the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I did not expect to like Lysithea as much as I do. My first impression of her was that she was a brat with a complex about her age but drat, she is so much more than that.

I'm pretty sure she's my favorite character in the game right now.

:same: I wasn’t anticipating her to be the one to bag Byleth on my first run but it just happened and they already have more than enough support points for S rank as of chapter 18

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I expected to hate Ferdinand after a couple interactions and C level supports and was on my way to replacing him with someone else but then I started getting farther in and he's my best friend now and I'm trying to wingman him and Bernie into a wonderful couple by always putting them into the weekly goal together (I think it's working).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh wow, I didn't realize Edelgard's route was the shortest by a whole four maps. Which, considering that apparently I'm on the final map, seems very weird. I feel like there's a whole lot I don't know about information that's really pertinent. Like, are we seriously not going to go into her uncle nuking the Kingdom capital city? Or learn basically anything about the goal of the experiments? I know it was to give her the crest of flames, but are they just dropping the whole Nemesis situation? If we're aligned with the Death Knight how come we don't get to know who he is?

Is all this explained in the other routes?

Others have pointed out that Golden Deer answers some of these questions, but one of them actually requires you to do a paralogue that includes students from two houses. Specifically, the shared paralogue with Mercedes and Caspar is where the Death Knight's identity is revealed.

Three Houses is happy to stick major revelations in paralogues and it's kinda cool.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So I know non-Byleth characters have their paired ending decided by which A rank they have the most support points with and their top three are displayed on the stat screen, but does it take the other characters on the list into account at all? Like if a character’s number one choice has more support points with someone else, will it move down the list to the next available person?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
(All spoilers are for the Black Eagle/Edelgard endgame)

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Like, the nuking of the city seems like a huge, huge deal that is just 1000% glossed over.

That particular one stands out to me as something that's 1) incredibly significant, 2) comes completely out of left field as something you didn't even know was possible and is even played up as exactly that by the characters involved in the cutscene, and 3) is then immediately completely ignored forever.

Hell, pretty much everything dealing with those who slither in the dark is incredibly confusing, as characters appear out of nowhere only to disappear immediately (e.g. Cornelia), and you never really get any explanation for why working with them was at all necessary, or even a satisfying conclusion! Like, maybe that's DLC for the future, I don't know, but I really expected Edie to give some kind of explanation other than "it is necessary that we work with them for now"... right up until the point where you take Arianrhod, which I didn't really get was meant to be a blow against those who slither in the dark in the first place until the post-battle cutscene!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Harrow posted:

Others have pointed out that Golden Deer answers some of these questions, but one of them actually requires you to do a paralogue that includes students from two houses. Specifically, the shared paralogue with Mercedes and Caspar is where the Death Knight's identity is revealed.

Three Houses is happy to stick major revelations in paralogues and it's kinda cool.

Mmm that’s why I’m planning on my fourth and final playthrough being a Church route where I poach everyone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I have to say though, regardless of whether it's explained in a different route or not, it's pretty weird from a storytelling standpoint to have so many plot threads not even go addressed in some routes. I could understand it if it was a matter of only certain sides being privy to the information and the characters reluctantly moving on to more important matters, but like, it's not even acknowledged that there might be an unanswered question there in some cases (e.g. [Black Eagle spoiler] the Death Knight).

Edelgard is too busy being fash to work through her personal issues to ask "why" on a lot of stuff :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo am I glad I clicked that spoiler because I really want to know that and only had 1/2 of those students. In Golden Deer, mind you. No problem, time to drag the old garbage bag full of flowers out for another swing...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hell, pretty much everything dealing with those who slither in the dark is incredibly confusing, as characters appear out of nowhere only to disappear immediately (e.g. Cornelia), and you never really get any explanation for why working with them was at all necessary, or even a satisfying conclusion! Like, maybe that's DLC for the future, I don't know, but I really expected Edie to give some kind of explanation other than "it is necessary that we work with them for now"... right up until the point where you take Arianrhod, which I didn't really get was meant to be a blow against those who slither in the dark in the first place until the post-battle cutscene!

What's weird is that Edelgard's route both doesn't deal with those who slither in the dark directly and ends earlier than the other routes. And given the ending text, it's not like she doesn't care about them--it just happens entirely off screen. Meanwhile the Golden Deer route has time to both fight Edelgard and fight the slitherers in the last few chapters. It's weird that Edelgard's route doesn't have just like three more chapters to do the same.

Going in, I sort of expected that Edelgard's route would be the "main" story but it actually seems like the most incomplete.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At some point, Byleth should put two and two together and ask Edelgard if Kronya killing Jeralt was part of her plan.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

Going in, I sort of expected that Edelgard's route would be the "main" story but it actually seems like the most incomplete.

Parts of it were probably cut for quality/deadline/budget reasons. Sucks, but that's what happens during ambitious projects like this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Going by the trailers its pretty clear that the main route is The Black Eagles church route. They loved showing clips of Byleth fighting Edelgard. Black eagles are the most pushrd route but if you do nothing you get the church route, not the Edelgard route.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Parts of it were probably cut for quality/deadline/budget reasons. Sucks, but that's what happens during ambitious projects like this.

That's my guess, but the fact that that's the route that ended up the most abbreviated surprised me since I assumed it would be the "main" one after how much the marketing focused on Edelgard.

To be clear, I'm glad that it actually turned out that their isn't a "main" route, though. I like that each route just gives you a different piece of the full picture.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Going by the trailers its pretty clear that the main route is The Black Eagles church route. They loved showing clips of Byleth fighting Edelgard. Black eagles are the most pushrd route but if you do nothing you get the church route, not the Edelgard route.

Yeah

It wouldn't surprise me if siding with Edelgard entirely was a fairly late addition to the project. There are a few weird things like the lack of CGs compared to the other routes, shortened chapter count, availability of sidequests that get weird handwaves (Lindhart and Leonie's is literally 'let's not tell Edelgard about meeting with the cool dragon to get a weapon and never mention it again') and just a lot of plot threads and characters that feel like they need more time to be fleshed out.a

Also the Edelgard image you get at the end of the campaign is hilariously bad. Its like weirdly proportioned fanart.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 5, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If someone was going to play only one route, I think either Golden Deer or Black Eagles Church route would be the best ones to get the most complete story, though it's hard to recommend the latter without spoilers.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I poached Ingrid to be a Pegasus knight and I noticed she can’t use battalions? It says something about incompatible “movement type”. Is this because she’s flying? Do flying battalions eventually become available?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Megasabin posted:

I poached Ingrid to be a Pegasus knight and I noticed she can’t use battalions? It says something about incompatible “movement type”. Is this because she’s flying? Do flying battalions eventually become available?

Yeah you can buy some at the Battalion shop and get some in rewards. All flying ones require Authority C or higher though so keep that in mind

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

it's cool actually

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Am I the only person who stuck Edie on a Wyvern?

Also beat Black Eagles (Edie path)
I married Bernadetta. I really think I should have married Edie instead since that was my only chance to. But the Dandere was too strong.
My pairings were:

Edie x Dorothea (did not see this one coming nor do I know how I feel about it)
Ferdinand x Manuela (I pushed for this one because I didn't want poor Manuela to be alone)
Lindhardt x Petra (I did not sense any real chemistry between these two at all)

Started on Blue Lions. Two months in I'm not sold on them the way I was sold on the Black Eagles
I already recruited Dorothea and Ferdinand. I aim on recruiting Bernie, Lysithia and Marianne.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I hope this wasn't already talked about recently, I'm going hard to avoid spoilers.

I'm playing Black Eagles and I think I made a mistake building my main character. Since Byleth's Budding Talent is Faith, I thought I'd make her a monk. But since I realized this meant spending precious activity points on instruction, I don't think it's worth it. I have Linhardt and Dorothea training Faith anyway. So I'd like to make Bylet something more useful. I'm thinking I'd like to make her an Archer and also recruit another Archer, since I'm low on that.

I'm a little concerned about changing course, but it's still pretty early. I'm just now starting Chapter 4.

I figure I could give Byleth a bow and cheese Retreating in the next Auxilary Battle. Skill experience is retained when retreating to the beginning of the battle, right?

Also, are there any particularly good students to recruit for Bow work? Ideal would be someone who will join me for my own Bow skills, so I don't have to spread out my character's training even more.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You have way more than enough time to do whatever, assuming you build early on professor levels.

Also, Byleth never has to really worry about a promotion class.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Somewhere in October currently. Gotta say I think my favorite thing so far is Hilda wearing giant armor chanting her name after stomping a baddie.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I just did the paralogue for Gilbert and Annette, and holy poo poo, I had to restart over and over again to save the flimsier of those two characters. It was like a puzzle trying to figure out the exact correct move to keep them from dying. Finally I settled on keeping her out of the brigand’s range, equipping Nosferatu so she could heal off the armored knights, and having Gilbert rally her DEF.

That’s the most fun I’ve had all game I think.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

(All spoilers are for the Black Eagle/Edelgard endgame)

That particular one stands out to me as something that's 1) incredibly significant, 2) comes completely out of left field as something you didn't even know was possible and is even played up as exactly that by the characters involved in the cutscene, and 3) is then immediately completely ignored forever.

Funnily enough I am literally on the month where Sylvain talks about how Cornelia came into the Kingdom's service by defeating a plague.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

wuggles posted:

I just did the paralogue for Gilbert and Annette, and holy poo poo, I had to restart over and over again to save the flimsier of those two characters. It was like a puzzle trying to figure out the exact correct move to keep them from dying. Finally I settled on keeping her out of the brigand’s range, equipping Nosferatu so she could heal off the armored knights, and having Gilbert rally her DEF.

That’s the most fun I’ve had all game I think.

:ssh: If you just pass Gilbert and Annette's turns the enemies don't attack them.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Bland posted:

:ssh: If you just pass Gilbert and Annette's turns the enemies don't attack them.

That is actually not true, I discovered to my dismay.

About five turns in reinforcements appeared and then one of the armored knights walked up and punched the flimsy person right in the face.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I hope this wasn't already talked about recently, I'm going hard to avoid spoilers.

I'm playing Black Eagles and I think I made a mistake building my main character. Since Byleth's Budding Talent is Faith, I thought I'd make her a monk. But since I realized this meant spending precious activity points on instruction, I don't think it's worth it. I have Linhardt and Dorothea training Faith anyway. So I'd like to make Bylet something more useful. I'm thinking I'd like to make her an Archer and also recruit another Archer, since I'm low on that.

I'm a little concerned about changing course, but it's still pretty early. I'm just now starting Chapter 4.

I figure I could give Byleth a bow and cheese Retreating in the next Auxilary Battle. Skill experience is retained when retreating to the beginning of the battle, right?

Also, are there any particularly good students to recruit for Bow work? Ideal would be someone who will join me for my own Bow skills, so I don't have to spread out my character's training even more.

You are super early on, don't worry about it. Byleth's unique class also has access to magic so learning some Faith spells isn't a bad idea. I'd recommend getting Byleth some time in a sword class just to capitalize on their awesome physical growth but really Byleth can succeed at anything.

You'll also get a lot more spare time points as you increase your professor level, so you can train quite a bit with other professors.

As for recruitment, I think you already have the only bow user who will join for just having bow skill (Bernadetta), but you can also recruit a great archer from the Knights of Seiros eventually just on level alone. If you get Shamir to support level C she'll join you as soon as you're level 10 and she's an insanely good archer. If you train up lances a bit and get her support up, you can also recruit Leonie, who makes an incredible Bow Knight down the line.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wuggles posted:

About five turns in reinforcements appeared and then one of the armored knights walked up and punched the flimsy person right in the face.

Specifically, it seems to be moving close to the stationary enemy in the NW. There might be another trigger or a point where it automatically happens, but that's definitely what triggered the armors to begin moving, and the reinforcements to arrive, on my run of that map.

The real tricky thing that's easy to miss in that puzzle is that the north two have tomahawks, whereas the west two just have silver axes. So you really need to take out one of the northern ones and tuck into that corner, rather than the other.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

wuggles posted:

When I first did that mission I attacked a nearby heavy with Annette and she immediately got blown up on the enemy turn. So then I rewinded and just passed and the 4 guards passed on their turn as well. This continues until you trigger reinforcements by either (I believe) killing an enemy commander or advancing too close to the boss. I managed to get almost my entire army over to Annette and Gilbert without either of them being attacked once.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Stride is loving incredible, holy poo poo. I've been using it to cheese maps where the goal is "get x unit to y position."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Don't worry about Byleth's skills too much, (minor mechanics spoiler)he will get his own unique classes automatically without any requirements. The class leaders will, too. Byleth's unique classes have sword focus and allow you to use magic, so unless you're set on having him use bows in particular, just train up his swords and maybe faith and reason too. Just focus on the other 10 or 12 students you have to nurture.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
when can I get Ferdinand's B support?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

@Bland and Lord Koth

Yeah, the time I finally finished the map I got all the treasures without seeing any reinforcements so I wasn’t sure what the trigger was.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Post time skip. Its pretty heavily reliant on stuff that happens during the skip and changes based on route.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tired Moritz posted:

A lot of the supports won't go past C or B until the timeskip happens. I got past it last night and I had a half dozen people beating down my door the first time I walked into the monastery.

It also seems like it just skipped right to A for some of them, too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zore posted:

Post time skip. Its pretty heavily reliant on stuff that happens during the skip and changes based on route.

Oh, I guess I'll need to invest on lances in non-black eagles route. :(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, I guess I'll need to invest on lances in non-black eagles route. :(

Ferdinand wants Heavy Armor. I’ve only been able to recruit him after getting that skill all the way to D+, even if I have enough support points with him to otherwise reach B support.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The "Mission Assistance" mechanic was just introduced. When would I use this considering the assisting student recieve no XP from battles? Is this used to poach students from other houses by building support in combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That and to take Petra on chapters that request a thief if you don't have her.